Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero and Police profiling. Ever happen to you? (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero and Police profiling. Ever happen to you? by JimmyS
Started on: 06-02-2007 10:56 PM
Replies: 199
Last post by: Fiero88GT on 08-18-2010 07:55 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I don't fit the profile and have gotten stopped for lighting the tires, speeding, making turns in a no turn zone, and spending a counterfeit bill ( that I actually got from a bank!) last year. Haven't received a summons yet. Families of police officers are often given the benefit of the doubt. While I hang with many police officers and have one in the family ( my Son Doug) ; I can tell you that they are just like everyone else. You have the good guys and a few bad guys. In the case of my son he never pulls anyone over unless they are a solid 10-15 MPH over the speed limit. While he is a young officer and is not looking to issue citations or harass anyone, in a high crime route has over 100 arrests so far, mostly for poeple with outstanding warrants and possession of narcotics.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE WILDCAT"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My last race car was a Tbird (same body style as Bill Elliots Coors car) . It was sponsored by Hooters and looked mostly like Alan Kulwickis. When I retired it, i modified it for street use to take to car shows. Had window retainers, no headlites, slit tail lights cut into the rear panel (tail, brake, turn) and turn signals in the front brake air intakes in the air dam. Put in a rear seat and passenger seat, but had full cage, window net, etc. It had open Nascar headers. I bought Ohio license plate saying HOOTERS. I drove it all around town, freeways and all. I got lots of crazy looks and only pulled over once for loud exhaust which they just gave me a warning, but let me go the rest of that summer without mufflers since they knew i just took it to local shows. It was fun though watching people as you passed them in what looked like a full blown nascar race car.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
Strangely enough...the police never even look at me twice.
I think that Fiero's dont typically fit the "out cruising around and looking for trouble" profile.
However, the "Ricers" get pulled over constantly anytime they go near downtown San Jose.

Kit
AV8DAY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AV8DAYSend a Private Message to AV8DAYDirect Link to This Post
Originally posted by interceptor429:

my son is a police officer ... when he pulls a fiero over its to get more details on the car ,and tell them about this site.....good kid...lol

Originally posted by Formula88
Your son is a jackass.
If he's a cop and he pulls someone over, it damn well should be related to his job as a law officer and not to chat about cars.

X2
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
(Knocks on wood)

I have only been stopped once in the 12 years I have owned the Fiero (arrest me red too). Ticketed for following too closely. Whether it was profiling or not is hard to say. A car at the front of a long line on a 55 MPH road slowed to make a right turn, bunching traffic. Due to visability issues, I did not notice right away, and closed a lot on the car in front of me. I wasn't tailgating down the road, but if the cop noticed me after traffic bunched I can see where he might have thought I was. So I doubt it was profiling.

chucks85fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chucks85fastbackClick Here to visit chucks85fastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to chucks85fastbackDirect Link to This Post
He just wanted to check out your sweet ride. I keep hearing from my boss how all cops are gearheads.
I've been pulled over twice within a few months, once for loud exhaust and once for no front license plate. i just got a warning for both times.
interceptor429

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
my son is not a JACKASS, i didn't make this clear enough for you unappreciative fiero owners,i guess.......a nice officer that appreciates a nice car is ok in my book....... he does not flip lights and siren on, he just motions for them to get over,and IF they stop,and they usually do, then he will talk cars ,small town ,gets boring.and if you weren't a judgmental person and were in a officers job and thier duties as a peace officer,you would understand public affairs and being nice and helpful to the public as part of the job description, but if your set on all law enforcement officers as being jackass'es ,there not........
laiho1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for laiho1Send a Private Message to laiho1Direct Link to This Post
the cops just came and visited me at home......appearantly i was being to loud working on my project car and the neighbors (old lady across the street) called the cops on me.......they said they were giving me a warning this time......what the hell.....is it all of a sudden illegal to use grinders and saws and air compressors at your house?
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by laiho1:

the cops just came and visited me at home......appearantly i was being to loud working on my project car and the neighbors (old lady across the street) called the cops on me.......they said they were giving me a warning this time......what the hell.....is it all of a sudden illegal to use grinders and saws and air compressors at your house?

that sucks man

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget visit our google ad sponsors
http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
that does. i lucked out, its at least 200yards to get to my closest neighbor, and more like a mile beyond them. they r also never home, so i dont have to worry about annoying people when im doing stuff to my car.
laiho1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for laiho1Send a Private Message to laiho1Direct Link to This Post
i just turned up my stereo in the garage and drowned out the sound of tools....
PFF
System Bot
joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
I'm constantly stopped by strangers, police and otherwise. They stop and give me money, offer me food, assistance, tools, etc. It's total BS. I don't have to be broken down or anything. They'll just run up to me in traffic and throw money through my window, always with the same generic excuse of "here, it looks like you need it more than I do."

Once, one of those "will work for food" sign guys reached into his pocket and gave me a $20. A $20!

Fast food drive throughs rarely charge me. They usually just hand my money back and say "that's ok, you keep it." I've had clergy say they'll pray for me, young mothers point to my car and say to their children "see that's what happens when you...", and I've had police stop me to ask if I'm ok, if I need anything, and they usually offer shelter.

Frankly, I think this sort of profiling borders on harrassment. It's brought me to the point that I'm ready to give my car up.

------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
joeveto? really you get all that free stuff....
man i envy u..
with the way the economy is... that might actually work out great
maybe i should trash my car. and see how many pple charge me at mickey d's
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

my son is not a JACKASS, i didn't make this clear enough for you unappreciative fiero owners,i guess.......a nice officer that appreciates a nice car is ok in my book....... he does not flip lights and siren on, he just motions for them to get over,and IF they stop,and they usually do, then he will talk cars ,small town ,gets boring.and if you weren't a judgmental person and were in a officers job and thier duties as a peace officer,you would understand public affairs and being nice and helpful to the public as part of the job description, but if your set on all law enforcement officers as being jackass'es ,there not........

Yes, if he stops people going about their business just to talk cars then he IS a JACKASS.

When a person sees a uniformed officer, they have to expect the officer is acting in accordance with their job. If your son sees someone in a parking lot or at the gas station, etc. and strikes up a conversation about cars - that's great. Stopping someone, whether it's with lights and siren or just motioning them to "get over" for anything other than official business is out of line.

Stopping someone when they've not done anything wrong is not "being nice and helpful."

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by laiho1:

That all depends. Did they say what ordinance you violated? Was it a noise complaint? What are the noise laws?
Most Home Owner's Associations prohibit working on your car out in the open, but those bylaws aren't enforceable by the police.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't go as far as to call your son a jackass but I have to agree that pulling someone over while on duty, just to talk cars, is out of line. If I am driving down a road and I get pulled over, it had better be because I broke some sort of law. I don't want to be bothered by police for any reason. I love the opportunity to talk about my car when people ask. People comment on my car at almost every gas station, restaurant, store and so on that I go to. But I'm going to be really ticked off if a cop pulls me over just to talk about cars.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

I wouldn't go as far as to call your son a jackass but I have to agree that pulling someone over while on duty, just to talk cars, is out of line. If I am driving down a road and I get pulled over, it had better be because I broke some sort of law. I don't want to be bothered by police for any reason. I love the opportunity to talk about my car when people ask. People comment on my car at almost every gas station, restaurant, store and so on that I go to. But I'm going to be really ticked off if a cop pulls me over just to talk about cars.

its happend to me in my fiero to.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hahah... yeah, I would get pulled over all the time when I was younger too. My Fiero looked good... I bought it with only 47k miles, and 14 years later (from 1995 when I bought it), it's only now showing wear and tear.

I would get pulled over ALL the time.

I remember there was this one time where I was driving down a two-lane road. This police officer was flying down the road, spotted me, and slowed WAAAY down and paced my car (but 1 car length behind me). I assume he was running my tags. It was about 11:30 at night on a Sunday. So... I was a little annoyed at this... the fact that the guy would be so arrogant and be so blatant about it, so I slowed down... so he slowed down too... so I slowed down even further and he slowed down even further (remember, he is in another lane, there are two lanes).

So I speed up a little, and he speeds up, and then I SLAM on my brakes and scoot in behind him. (I was stupidly ballsy).

So he's not sure what to do, so he floors it and pulls off to the side of the road. So I start driving again and as soon as I pass him, he pulls out onto the road again and follows me. I don't remember what happened then, but I think I just ignored him.

BUT, on the other hand... there have been a few times where I've been doing over 120+ miles an hour in the Fiero and have been totally busted... and I was let go without a ticket both times!!! So... I can't complain.

Originally posted by dcfox:

It's because they are JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe

Seriously...I had an 84 Fiero back in 1984.It was my 16th birthday present.I had the second one in our town.
In the first 6 months I bet I got pulled over a dozen times just to get harassed because I guess they didn't think a kid should be in this "new red sports car".

I'm sure I'll get pulled over a few times once I get the 86 GT on the road(motor is shot)...but I'll probably deserve it.lol.

Oh man, I hate that. I got one of the first Solstices in Fort Lauderdale. Definitely the first one in Cooper City. Mine is production number 1067, so I missed the first 1000 by 67, obviously... but I still got mine way before most people did. I picked mine up in December of 2005. The attention this car got when it was new was insane. People would jump out of their cars and take pictures of it with their cell phone cameras. People would honk and wave, I COULD NOT stop at a single intersection without someone rolling down the window and talking to me about the car.

But, there was this ONE time (this is where my post applies to your story), where a rather "weathered" couple in a beat up looking old 80s Chevy van pulled up to me. The wife (girlfriend, whatever) was probably in her early to mid 40s, obviously didn't have a lot of money, and she started making jabs at me. She said... "That's a nice car, did daddy buy you that for Christmas? I'm a pretty big guy... 6'3" at ~210lbs. I look young, just because I have a fairly young face... (I'm 30 now, will be 31 next month), but at the time I was 27 years old. It definitely struck a nerve, didn't really piss me off, but was a little irritating that this poor family just assumed that I was some really spoiled rich kid. In the end, I took it as a compliment, because the Solstice (at the time at least) looked like a 50-60 thousand dollar car. And even someone my age, unless they made all the right decisions, would have trouble paying for a car of that price tag. I wanted to say... "Lady, I saved for a few years to get my $6,500 down payment, and I only paid $22,900 for my Solstice at Schumacher Pontiac", but what I actually told her was: "Yeah, my dad bought this for me to encourage me to graduate from high school".

Hahah... it probably didn't improve her outlook on life... but in the end, it did make me feel good. She got really mad and called me a spoiled little **** and then they kind of swerved the van towards me a little to scare me... so I floored it and pulled away from them.

Hey, I'll let them think whatever they want...

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Oh man, I hate that. I got one of the first Solstices in Fort Lauderdale. Definitely the first one in Cooper City. Mine is production number 1067, so I missed the first 1000 by 67, obviously... but I still got mine way before most people did. I picked mine up in December of 2005. The attention this car got when it was new was insane. People would jump out of their cars and take pictures of it with their cell phone cameras. People would honk and wave, I COULD NOT stop at a single intersection without someone rolling down the window and talking to me about the car.

But, there was this ONE time (this is where my post applies to your story), where a rather "weathered" couple in a beat up looking old 80s Chevy van pulled up to me. The wife (girlfriend, whatever) was probably in her early to mid 40s, obviously didn't have a lot of money, and she started making jabs at me. She said... "That's a nice car, did daddy buy you that for Christmas? I'm a pretty big guy... 6'3" at ~210lbs. I look young, just because I have a fairly young face... (I'm 30 now, will be 31 next month), but at the time I was 27 years old. It definitely struck a nerve, didn't really piss me off, but was a little irritating that this poor family just assumed that I was some really spoiled rich kid. In the end, I took it as a compliment, because the Solstice (at the time at least) looked like a 50-60 thousand dollar car. And even someone my age, unless they made all the right decisions, would have trouble paying for a car of that price tag. I wanted to say... "Lady, I saved for a few years to get my $6,500 down payment, and I only paid $22,900 for my Solstice at Schumacher Pontiac", but what I actually told her was: "Yeah, my dad bought this for me to encourage me to graduate from high school".

Hahah... it probably didn't improve her outlook on life... but in the end, it did make me feel good. She got really mad and called me a spoiled little **** and then they kind of swerved the van towards me a little to scare me... so I floored it and pulled away from them.

I got my first Solstice in Dec 05 also, same thing happened to me, people staring, asking me about it. I live in Greensboro, NC. Did not see another one for almost 5 months. Traded it in on a 07 GXP that November. Wish I still had it, I miss that car.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
96 New Yorker

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post

im sorry i dont hav a problem w/ police officers in general, they r after all protecting me and my rights, but if a cop waves me over im gonna pull over on the grounds that he prolly has a good reason for it. if he pulls over and just wants to talk 2 me about my car, thats out of line, and will piss me off. idc if u like my car, talk 2 me some other time, dont pull me over whether u use lights or not. u dont know wat im trying to do, and im going to pull over if u signal me to do so in any way and i see it. not gonna say that ur sons a jackass but if he did it 2 me thats wat i would b thinking.
Duck Hunter 117

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Hunter 117Send a Private Message to Duck Hunter 117Direct Link to This Post
My Fiero has actually helped me avoid a ticket. I has just had my Borla system installed and way "enjoying it" at about ~55 in a 30 zone. It was right in front of a school about 8 at night and this cop is always sitting there. He pulls me over and our conversation went like this:

Cop: "Hi, is this an 88"
Me: "Yes, I've had it for about 2 years."
Cop: "My brother used to have one it was a lot of fun."
Me: "Yep, I just got mine back from the shop."
Cop: "Major problems?"
Me: "Nope, just got a new exhaust put on."
Cop: "Can I see your license and registration?"

He goes and runs my paperwork.

Cop: "I'll save you the $150 ticket since you don't see many of these around. Drive safe."
PFF
System Bot
atjxl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atjxlSend a Private Message to atjxlDirect Link to This Post
I bought a red 88 Fiero GT about four years ago from a guy in San Antonio TX and drove the car 1000 miles home to Phoenix AZ with temporary cardboard Texas plates. The car had been babied, had about 35 thousand miles, and looked and ran better than new!

I picked up the car late on a Wednesday afternoon and spent the night in Kerrville off I-10. The next morning I was heading west on I-10 at a real good speed. After about an hour on the road I was pulled over by a county cop. He asked me if I knew how fast I had been going. He also told me he wanted to verify the paperwork for the temporary cardboard plates on the car.

After about 5 minutes it became clear that the cop stopped me because he just wanted to see the car. When he was in high school back in the 80s, he wanted a Fiero GT. But he had never owned a Fiero. So the next 15 minutes on the side of the expressway was spent giving the cop a tour of the car and talking Fieros.

I was just happy to show off the car. And I was even happier not to have been ticketed for speeding.

joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post

called me a spoiled little **** and then they kind of swerved the van towards me a little to scare me

This made my hair stand on end. Holy cow.

------------------
Spent my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nohbdy:

im sorry i dont hav a problem w/ police officers in general, they r after all protecting me and my rights, but if a cop waves me over im gonna pull over on the grounds that he prolly has a good reason for it. if he pulls over and just wants to talk 2 me about my car, thats out of line, and will piss me off. idc if u like my car, talk 2 me some other time, dont pull me over whether u use lights or not. u dont know wat im trying to do, and im going to pull over if u signal me to do so in any way and i see it. not gonna say that ur sons a jackass but if he did it 2 me thats wat i would b thinking.

cnander51

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cnander51Send a Private Message to cnander51Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Hahah... yeah, I would get pulled over all the time when I was younger too. My Fiero looked good... I bought it with only 47k miles, and 14 years later (from 1995 when I bought it), it's only now showing wear and tear.

I would get pulled over ALL the time.

I remember there was this one time where I was driving down a two-lane road. This police officer was flying down the road, spotted me, and slowed WAAAY down and paced my car (but 1 car length behind me). I assume he was running my tags. It was about 11:30 at night on a Sunday. So... I was a little annoyed at this... the fact that the guy would be so arrogant and be so blatant about it, so I slowed down... so he slowed down too... so I slowed down even further and he slowed down even further (remember, he is in another lane, there are two lanes).

So I speed up a little, and he speeds up, and then I SLAM on my brakes and scoot in behind him. (I was stupidly ballsy).

So he's not sure what to do, so he floors it and pulls off to the side of the road. So I start driving again and as soon as I pass him, he pulls out onto the road again and follows me. I don't remember what happened then, but I think I just ignored him.

BUT, on the other hand... there have been a few times where I've been doing over 120+ miles an hour in the Fiero and have been totally busted... and I was let go without a ticket both times!!! So... I can't complain.

When I was in college Fieros were not even thought of but, I did get stopped almost every day and sometimes twice per day on my way to work . I looked young for my age, especially when I shaved. It was so bad that I had to leave for work 30 minutes early in order to get there on time. I was driving a new AMC hornet at the time. If I was driving something like a Fiero I would have been always late. This was when I lived in Brooklyn N.Y.
JustinusMagnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinusMagnusSend a Private Message to JustinusMagnusDirect Link to This Post
I was never pulled over before I started driving my fiero. But with in the first three months I was pulled over twice. I first time it was becuase of smoke but my car had just pasted the NJ state inspection for emissions the day before and I did not see any smoke. The next time I had an out brake light but when I got home and checked it out all my brake lights lite only one was alittle dimmer than the other. The funny thing is in my pre-fiero days when I drove my MR2 that was missing body panels, smoked at high RPM so it never passed inspection and was always moving above the speed limit thee police never bothered me. Now I have been scared into driving below the speed limit on many roads and taking the extra steps to drive like a good citizen and I am being pulled over anyway. In short I think my fiero is pulled over because the police are hopeing to impound it so they can drive it.
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I'm 54 years old and have owned as many as 10 Fieros in the last 10 years. I'm now back to my senses,
as much one my age can retain, and have cut it down to my 88 DOHC 3.4 T-Top Red Indy GT and a true 84 Indy 4 speed. I have had older collectable cars from my younger days such as 1 1971 Grand Prix and one of my favorites that I still own to this day a 1975 Pontiac Grandville convertible with 88,000 miles.

I still have a lead foot especially with my DOHC 3.4 and have been stopped at least twice in it and received 1 warning and 1 speeding ticket for doing 62 in a 45 by an off duty reserve officer. I have respect for people doing their job but I have even more respect when they treat me like a person who maybe just was not paying attention and gave me a break. I don't mind it at all when a young officer of the law or even an older one takes this approach of doing what is best in the interest of the public that they serve.

I learned a long time ago that arguing and making denials are not going to keep you from paying a fine even if you feel that you are right. On the other hand it really ticks me off when someone wants to talk cars and when they find out that I own Fieros they want to laugh and call them a death mobile or something worse that is afflicted with spontaneous combustion.

I am equally appreciative when someone is truly interested in the hobby and wants to talk cars as well being complimentary of my Fieros and are genuinely interested in me as a person. If a police officer stopped me to give me a warning, a ticket or to just compliment me on my car I would probably not think he was a jack ass especially for the last item I just mentioned. I guess the thing I have noticed over the years is that many of the new young officers are only interested in doing the job by the book and take a less personable approach that they are your friend and a fellow member of the community.

Case and point. About a month ago I was on my way home from the office to grab a bite of lunch. I was talking on my cell phone and came to a 4 way stop where I proceeded to do what most people do when no other cars are there they slowly roll up to the stop sign and through without coming to a complete stop. In a town of 10,000 people in a small midwestern college town we know most people on the local police force here but on this day 2 young new State Troopers were out to get their 150 ticket quota early. They did their usual at this intersection where they set up a trap and gave out tons of tickets in one aftenoon. My record was clear but I received a ticket. My only response to the young officer was, "If you say I rolled through but did not just blow through the stop sign would a clean record on a citizen my age warrant a warning in lieu of a $136.00 fine?" He made little comment, acted annoyed and hurried back to the trap to write more tickets.

I paid an additional $60 to get it deferred. Did I violate the law and get caught? Yes. Have I done it before and did not get caught? Yes. Chalk one up for being inattentive and on the cell phone but at least I did not have an accident. Unfortunately in a time when state budgets are inadequate and quotas are set to increase revenue we again lose sight of how we can best serve the public.

If an officer stops me to admire my car or chat about the hobby I'm going to be appreciative and realize that I'm probably making a friend that will remember me and maybe, just maybe do what best serves the public and cut me a break someday. The one thing I won't do is think that he is a jack ass for doing so. I would also commend him for making the attempt to put some real PR back into their job and get to know the people in the community that they are trying to serve and protect.

Maybe my thinking is different at 54 and I'm sure some people think that I am a jack ass here but I think I've earned the right to be one if I feel like it so here's to jack asses!

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 03-06-2009).]

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

lol i get slapped? wat is this, age profiling? get enough of that at school/everywhere else. (16 btw, most adults wont trust a teenage guy's opinions unless they know them well)

EDIT: thats not always true. sometimes if they know the guy well they trust him less

[This message has been edited by Nohbdy (edited 03-07-2009).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

lol i get slapped? wat is this, age profiling?

I think it was more likely for the inane "txt msg" spelling. It's annoying as hell to try to read line after line of that kwrap.

To your credit, you're not as bad as some others. At least you know about punctuation.
(I wasn't gonna say anything. I'm certainly not the grammar police. But you DID ask. )

Let the war stories continue.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-07-2009).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

lol i get slapped? wat is this, age profiling? get enough of that at school/everywhere else. (16 btw, most adults wont trust a teenage guy's opinions unless they know them well)

EDIT: thats not always true. sometimes if they know the guy well they trust him less

It's not age profiling. It's inability to type a coherent sentence in English profiling.

Does typing something like "cu l8r" really save you that much time compared to "see you later?"
interceptor429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
AMEN mike murphy,you understand the concept of pr and the public,its nice to know that the police are people like the rest of us,and try to put good public relations out there,in a small town its good to know that their there for YOU... the public,and it works both ways ,(since backup could be 30 miles away,if the officer was nice to you wouldn't you try to assist him if possible,if he needed it.....),i admit there are some jackasses out there,but the ones that try to be nice aren't those....thank you,
PFF
System Bot
Freshj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
I live about 5 miles up the road from the old Fiero plant. Most of my "Harassment" is in the parking lots in the form of "Sweet car, I used to build those" .
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
I have no problem with an officer coming up to me in a store/gas station parking lot asking about the car or just wanting to chat. But if I am driving down the road and an officer pulls me over using his lights or just motions for me to pull over, he better damn well have a good "legal" reason and just not want to chat.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 03-07-2009).]

Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I think it was more likely for the inane "txt msg" spelling. It's annoying as hell to try to read line after line of that kwrap.

To your credit, you're not as bad as some others. At least you know about punctuation.
(I wasn't gonna say anything. I'm certainly not the grammar police. But you DID ask. )

Let the war stories continue.

LOL im sorry. i really dont even notice that im doing that normally.

and for the other question, i learned to type playing fps online. yes you really do save that much time typing "c u l8r" vs "see you later" when theres someone about to come around the corner and blast you.

EDIT: fps= first person shooters ftw. jst makin sur u old ppl can tll wat im sayin

[This message has been edited by Nohbdy (edited 03-07-2009).]

sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
Not long after I got my Fiero I took it to work one day. I wound up working 18 hours, and I can tell you that driving home at 1am I was dog tired. I turned onto one of the country roads that lead me home, and noticed that in the first driveway on the left a state trooper was backed in keeping an eye on things. I glanced in the mirror and was relieved when he didn't pull out. I was driving 5mph under because I was tired and needed the extra reacting time to anything (read: deer) that jumped out in front of me. A minute or two later he comes FLYING up to my rear bumper, backing off and then coming up close. I will not say that he was trying to get me to speed, because I dont know that for sure, but it was peculiar behavior.

So for the next 5 miles or so he is 2 car lengths behind me, riding along at a comfortable 40 in a 45 zone. Finally, My drivers side tires touched the center lines in a corner (I know this because in PA they are fond of those rumble strips carved into the yellow lines.) I did not cross them, and had not been repeatedly crossing them, but instantly the technicolor light show was in my rear view mirror, and over I go.

Wound up getting a warning for driving on the center line, but I can tell you that I was pulled over for a handful of reasons that had nothing to do with that center line. It was 1am, I was driving a sports car with tinted windows, and the cop likely thought for sure I was some drunken kid on the way home from somewhere he should not have been. The officer took my paperwork, put his face up close to the window to make sure there was no alcohol aroma, and sent me on my way.

I can tell you that I've made this same drive, in the same condition, in my truck, my VW, and even my Escort, and never had a similar experience. Might have been just a strange alignment of the planets, but for some reason I dont think so.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1987 Trans Am:

I cant say taht I have ever been profiled. here in wisconsin they seem to really not care much. Then again, I live in madison, so Im sure that they have better things to do then to follow around a car that isnt doing anything wrong when theres a ton of other things going on around town that requires their attention.

first off, sorry to bring back an old thread.

i also live in madison, on Camden Rd (was in the news 2 years ago when the cops shot a man in the head about 2 houses down the road from me [which i, my dad, sister, and gf at the time witnessed]. a great example of the police overreacting and being too "macho"). I keep my Fiero parked behind my building until i get it in perfect, legal conditions because of the constant HEAVY police presence in my neighborhood, and parking patrol being total dinks around here. but once i get driving it i dont think ill have to worry about being profiled, unless the cops confuse my 87 notchy for some kind of ricer (which will be more likely when its blue with larger rims and the wraparound spoiler). being in madison, if you are white, you are generally safe from any profiling, unless of course you drive a lime green ricer with purple stripes, a fart cannon, and a huge nasty wing lol. i will post on this thread after a few months of driving (just got my car and yet to insure it) so i can give a comparison of driving my Fiero VS my dad's 01 Explorer Sport. ive drifted, slid of the road twice, hit 100mph on a crowded highway, and drive a constant 5mph over the speed limit (that 100 was just seeing if it could do it), as well as peeling out at stoplights and turning from a red light (in front of cops), all in the 01 Explorer. i dont drive like that now, it is just a reference point as to how i have driven the suv. i will be driving my fiero carefully, so if i DO get stopped you will KNOW something is up.
fyi, im 18, but i look mid-20s if i dont shave, and look a little under 18 if im clean-shaven. i LOOK like a wigger, ie baggy clothing, flat-brimmed hat, dark hoody, listen to rap, etc. but i dont act like one. ive already been profiled just by how i look, so we'll see what that plus driving my black 87 results in
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
Just the other day my brother and I were pulled over by this young small town cop. He told us, "The reason why I pulled you over is because your exhaust is too loud. It should sound like my crown vic." I knew the history of these cops in my small town. They do this just about to everyone who drives some type of sports car. We told him it was stock, and it is. The thing I don't get is they allow jacked up trucks with cat back exhausts/ straight pipes to roar down main street and we are the ones pulled over. Hmmm seems a little fishy to me.

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 12-07-2009).]

AWDimprezaL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimprezaLSend a Private Message to AWDimprezaLDirect Link to This Post
Ive gotten pulled over 5 times in my fiero and I havent owned it a month yet. But its because its last owner has a revoked license, so when they run my plates it comes up as his, and I fit his description. Never have I gotten anything other then a "aaah okay, have a nice night"
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
I've only been pulled over for BS once it was when i first got the car in a small town(im from the city) he pulled me over and started asking about my inspection, and here in MA i have 7 days so i replied officer " I believe i have 7 days to do that officer" he said yes, then he asked where my front plate was i said " I have it here officer i hit a pothole a earlier nd it was ripped out" then he told me that i need to get a quieter exhaust and put my front plate on or i wouldn't pass when i went for inspection I have a 3.8 sc fiero very loud and wonderful, However the 2nd time i was pulled over i was doing about 50 in a 30 in a heavily crowed area (Kenmore square boston MA) with no keys in the ignition i was in a rush and couldn't find them and at that point i wasn't using my key lock thing so i didn't need them to start it. the officer was on the side of the road simply pointed to me and waved me in i went in he talked to me asked why no keys were in it i told him I couldn't find them he asked for my license and asked how fast i was going said he knew it was over 30 and said look kid its a nice day this is a busy don't area i want to see anyone going over or under your car so regeristraion slow down and sent me on my way with no ticket, SO i guess its all the luck of the draw but if i didnt want the attention i guess i wouldn't have boughten a 2 seater sports car

Remember guys though sometimes an inconvenience to regular people cops often do there jobs and do them well if not for them we would be simply ****ed
Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
Driving for two months and i've never been pulled over, knock on wood . I have the loudest car i know, and its just a duke (stock exhaust is...special). I think when the cops see the 2009 guiness record holder for most oxided paint on my hood they assume that i couldnt afford to pay the fine (which is true). Plus I look old. 16 and people think i'm in college. None of this is saying im not scared of cops. They may be cool people (i've known a couple), but they're still out for that quota.

------------------
1988 Metallic Red Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252
Modifications:
-"Custom" oxidized paint
-Cat delete
-Shiny freebie shift knob
-Gasoline
-Nice 15" Jetta 5-Spokes
IT'S RARE!!!!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5