Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero and Police profiling. Ever happen to you? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero and Police profiling. Ever happen to you? by JimmyS
Started on: 06-02-2007 10:56 PM
Replies: 199
Last post by: Fiero88GT on 08-18-2010 07:55 PM
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

[...]

[...]I've NEVER understood why anyone would do anything other than what the cop tells you when the cop already has his gun drawn and pointing at you. At that point, argue your rights later - just try to keep from being shot and survive the encounter.

I only had a gun pulled on me once. I was having an asthma attack and refused to listen to the officer. He kept telling me to show my hands... I kept trying to grab my inhaler from the glove box. In that case, I wasn't going to listen to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, unless not being able to breathe is a crime!
IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wikid_one:

He kept telling me to show my hands... I kept trying to grab my inhaler from the glove box. In that case, I wasn't going to listen to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, unless not being able to breathe is a crime!

You are lucky to be alive...refusal to show your hands, reaching into the glove compartment...Texas cops would shoot first and ask questions later.
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have never been profiled because of the car I drive. I don't understand why a cop would pull you over because you drive a Fiero. There had to be other reasons. Place, time, other type of profiling, (race, age, looks). I know I have been pulled over for being a long haired teenager coming off of an island where there was a beach party at 1 AM . Although I was coming home from work. He still pulled me out, put me in cuffs in the back of his car and searched my whole car, and then breathalyzed me. I got a ticket for failer to stop at a stop sign and not switching my Ohio tags over to SC in the 90 day period. Which you don't have to if you are in the state for school. FYI I did not run the stop sign either. He was pissed because I did not like being cuffed and in the back of his car.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

I don't understand why a cop would pull you over because you drive a Fiero.

I don't believe it's because it's a Fiero per say. Most younger cops don't even know what a Fiero is. The cop that pulled me over didn't know what type of car it was, or even what year of a car it was. He spent 15 mins running a check on me and even had my insurance card and registration with him. When I told him it was a 21 year old car he was stunned! All they see is a sporty type 2 seater car that possibly a young troublemaker might be driving.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hyperv6:

First off are you fitting a profile of someone that is problem in the community.

[QUOTE]

I am replying to your entire post but didn't want to quote the whole thing so I will just quote the first line.

I am a 39 year old male and clean cut. My license plate is a non territory plate meaning it does not display the county. The car itself is in great shape. All lights work, no body panels missing, and only a couple discreet body mods. Mods include Kris Munsons flushmount headlights, Dietmar side scoops and sail panel window mod (clear cut out along dot matrix pattern and then covered in convertible top material). People that do not know any better would never know that stuff didn't belong. The exhaust is somewhat loud but not overpowering. The car is Red which I believe has a lot to do with why I get pulled over. To me being pulled over cause my car is Red is Profiling plain and simple. I have not had a speeding ticket in over 5 years nor have I been stopped for speeding in over 5 years.

It should not matter where I am from, what kind or color of car I drive, how old I am, what area of town I am in, what time it is, why I am out or where I am going. If I have not committed some type of offense then leave me the hell alone! If I have a tail light out, headlight out, fail to use my turn signal, cross the yellow line or anything else, then by all means pull me over and write me ticket, give me a warning, give me a fix it ticket or whatever.

My point is that police should not be able to make up excuses just because they think you might possibly in one way or another be trouble. I have the right as a free citizen to go anywhere at any time withought being harrassed by police for no legitimate reason.

Edit to add... My father is a retired police officer, I have a cousin who is a current police officer with 5 years to go to retirement, I was a MP in the Army and a private investigator in civilian life. i have been in their shoes and my cousin cannot believe the amount of times I have been pulled over for dumb ass sh!t.

In my post I did not mean to address you specificly but why people get pulled over in general. Sorry but nothing in it was to be personel just examples.

I can not coment on you because I don't know you. But It looks like you either have bad luck going, in the wrong place at the wrong time or something that sticks out that catches there attention. What ever it is it is up to you to determine because no one here can tell you.

As in Profiling, it is a tool and has done a lot of good in many cases but at time can and has been misused by a few.

Lets face it when looking for Arabs looking to blow up a Federal building I would want them looking more for radical Arabs vs 80 year old grandmothers. If not for profiling in many cases things bad things would happen because too much time would be lost as would oppritunities to prevent a disaster.

Either way sorry if you though I ment anything personal !!!!!!!

My take is if the cops pull me over I either have done something or have nothing to fear and they are just checking me out to see if I am up to something. That one stop that they do catch someone may save the life or loss for someone in my family it would be worth it to me. It is just my take on it.

None of us are truly free as scociety has rules and the more other break those rules the more we lose some of our freedoms. It is not the cops that cost us our freedom but those who act against society. Just look at the new rules we have due to those behind 9/11.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
After I read this thread, I thought about the other one where people told about re-doing a used fiero and finding drugs from the previous owners. Makes you wanna think about having a drug dog sniff a car before you buy it just in case you ever get hasselled and don't wanna end up doing time

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-03-2007).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

When I had the red 88 GT, I got pulled over a time or three for BS stuff. Now, I have a plain silver coupe and it never gets a second glance. Even though it is quicker and louder than the GT was, it just does not stand out (thankfully).

I have had my red coupe since '97.
Not too long after I got it, I had a cop turn around in a parking lot and follow me for about a mile. Then he just went off in another direction.
Haven't been stopped (anywhere) in that car, since.
I usually have longish hair and some sort of facial hair. And I drive in a... not-so-sedate manner. Beats hell out of me why I'm not stopped more. Not that I'm complaining.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2007 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

After I read this thread, I thought about the other one where people told about re-doing a used fiero and finding drugs from the previous owners. Makes you wanna think about having a drug dog sniff a car before you buy it just in case you ever get hasselled and don't wanna end up doing time

ROTFLMAO

When I moved into this place, the last guy had done a "midnight move" and left 1/2 of his hydroponic stuff laying around. I must have swept up and threw out 5 pounds of weed (stuff gives me a wicked headache). I didn't bother with trash bags ect, just opened the door and pitched it onto the lawn.

Any drug dog gets within 1/4 mile of this place is going to go insane--looking for something that isnt there. ;D
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-03-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wikid_one:

I only had a gun pulled on me once. I was having an asthma attack and refused to listen to the officer. He kept telling me to show my hands... I kept trying to grab my inhaler from the glove box. In that case, I wasn't going to listen to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, unless not being able to breathe is a crime!

If i was the cop id be liable to shoot you. You got really lucky.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-03-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Trekker:

Back in Iowa I used to get stopped here and there for 'tinted windows' until they saw that they were the sail panels, once for running with just the parking and fog lights on at dusk, and three times because they thought I was speeding (I was once but didn't get a ticket). Here in California I just got stopped the other day and the Officer asked me to pop the hood so he could see the engine. He looked a little surprized when I said it was in the back but then after looking at it said okay and gave me my documents back and said I could go. When I asked him why he stopped me he said he was checking for after market modifications ( My little 4 cylinder is totally stock). They can do that?????

I think out there they can, since you cant get them inspected with 'stuff' on them. I hear a lot of people take their mods off to get their tag, then put them back on that night.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Being in my 60s, I haven't gotten pulled over for dumb asp stuff much, but these cars, especially nice looking GTs tend to catch a cops eyes. So if youre going a little fast or maybe dont have a front plate like me, the guy may use that excuse just to get a better look at your car and find out what it is. Also, with most cops having the kind of ego that wearing a gun instills in lot of folks, they will not admit that they dont know what kind of car youre driving and just wanted a better look. Now I'm not saying that theyre arent A.H. cops out there. Hmm... I see the op for someone to make a new Fireo product. A hidden lic plate holder that keeps the plate up out of site and out of the airstream to the rad. Be neat to flip a switch before the cop gets out and have the plate drop down.
PFF
System Bot
Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
i do not know why your lights are so dim because mine are nice and bright and are stock... they very very brightly shine on the my plates. and as for the comment ... authorititic morons with guns. you should tell the cop that you call the next time you have a problem. I believe the officers deserve a little more respect for what they do. they put their lives in extreme danger daily so that you and your family may live in a safer place. As for being a friend to a cop in bradenton, fl and as a visual look. those are to dim for safety and there you can not read your plate. so that was not profiling all he did was just do his job.
AZStreak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AZStreakSend a Private Message to AZStreakDirect Link to This Post

Here is a pic of the back of the car clearly showing both lights are on.

Is the green 'Pontiac' stock? I thought they were red.

------------------

Sig by F-I-E-R-O

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AZStreak:

Is the green 'Pontiac' stock? I thought they were red.

hyperv6...I did not take your post personally. No worries.

As for the PONTIAC... No thats not stock and yes they were red from the factory.

I said earlier that the lights look a little dim in the pic due to the camera. In person you can see the plate very clearly. I just posted that pic to show that both lights were in fact on.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
i've been pulled over only once
They pulled me over to ask what it was...
hahahahahaahaha

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

YUP.

I really don't know the solution to brain-dead-authoratarion morons with guns.

What works for me, is the statement "all rights reserved", "I have nothing to say" and less than gently lettinmg them know there will be repurcussions if they cross me----all of the legal sort, nothing illeagal--but this is small-town nowhere. most of them are decent guys, and the decent ones are slowly but surely driving the old-school nazi types into retirement.

10 years ago if a cop asked me for a drivers licence while I was walking down the street, and I asked why would I need a drivers licence to walk--I would have a nightstick up the head. Today, the same uniform will say "your right"

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I managed to get pulled over a few years ago on the way to the Georgia Fiero Club meeting. I was driving a red F308 rebody and a cop followed me for a couple of miles. Just as I was waiting to make a left turn into the restaurant he hit his lights. I went into the parking lot and stopped. When I asked him why he stopped me he said that I had run a red light a mile or so back. My response was that I most certainly had not done so and as question as to why he had not stopped me then if I had instead of following me for a mile or more right oin my bumper. He ran my license and insurance, got in the car, and drove off. I am certain that he stopped me just to get a look at the car. Maybe he was also surprised when a silver haired older guy got out instead of some kid. .
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
cops really do like little red cars.

when i first moved here all the cops eyed the fiero (black '84), sometimes followed me for a block or two. now they all know i drive like an old lady. i can go 45 in a 30 zone and they don't even see me.
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
dude iv been pissed about this also!!! i keep getting pulled over and getting tickets because im a teenager driving a GT. my last ticket was because my STOCK MUFFLER is louder than others. so when the light turned yellow i floored for a few seconds to get past the intersection and cut it down right after. i was in a downtown area so the speed limit was 25. theres no way i was doing more than 2 mph over the limit. the cop said my speed was 35 and handed me a $300 ticket despite me trying to say thats impossible since my car redlines at 30mph and i didn't get close to it. but my word over his ego. luckily at the courthouse he dismissed the charges. i lucked out!
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Jermz238

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jermz238Send a Private Message to Jermz238Direct Link to This Post
yep. got a ticket near our club meeting spot. cop said i ran the train signal. was going a steady 20 mph, signal clearly wasnt on. he likes to sit and watch who is drinking what and making sure we mind our P's and Q's.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6...I did not take your post personally. No worries.

As for the PONTIAC... No thats not stock and yes they were red from the factory.

I said earlier that the lights look a little dim in the pic due to the camera. In person you can see the plate very clearly. I just posted that pic to show that both lights were in fact on.

Beware the green on back is enough to pull you over in any state. It by law needs to be red even if it is just the Pontiac

I see guys get busted for neon plate frames because they are not red all the time.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

cops really do like little red cars.

when i first moved here all the cops eyed the fiero (black '84), sometimes followed me for a block or two. now they all know i drive like an old lady. i can go 45 in a 30 zone and they don't even see me.

Funny you mention this as I just read how Red cars getting ticketed is a Urban Myth. There are no numbers to prove red vehicles get ticketed more often than any other color.

I own one red vehice and plan to buy another so it was of interest to me.

I think the type of car make more of the differeance. I would get followed in my Chevelle SS driving under the speed limit but in my 63 Ford Galixie it was like I was in stealth mode and could drive past cops at 90 MPH and never get a second look.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Funny you mention this as I just read how Red cars getting ticketed is a Urban Myth. There are no numbers to prove red vehicles get ticketed more often than any other color.

I own one red vehice and plan to buy another so it was of interest to me.

I think the type of car make more of the differeance. I would get followed in my Chevelle SS driving under the speed limit but in my 63 Ford Galixie it was like I was in stealth mode and could drive past cops at 90 MPH and never get a second look.

With some companies, red cars can raise your insurance rates, seems they get into more accendents and get more tickets. As for me, I think gray cars should pay more and not red, they just dont stand out enough to notice especially in the rain or fog! The theroy is it takes a more agressive person to buy a red car? With lots of dumb folks thing our cars are death traps, what does that make a Fiero owner with red one, a stark raving lunatic?

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I got pulled over in my Fiero on the way to have it smog checked. I didn't have plates on it because I couldn't get any until it passed smog. And, I couldn't get it smogged until I got plates (Catch 22). Of course, the fine state of GA wanted me to have it owed(never mind the hundreds of illegal immigrants running around here without insurance and drivers' licences). The officer for pulling me over was notorious for traffic stops, but when I explained to him what I was doing and showed him all of the paperwork to back up my story, he let me drive off with only a warning. Luckily, it passed the day (it failed the day before, and yes, I had insurance on the car). The guy was just doing his job; of course, I'd have been ticked if he cited me and had the vehicle towed.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
nope. I have no police problem. in fact - sometimes I feel I am invisible. but, I also am, not a young kid. which I find is the REAL police magnet. young drivers. but, I neighbor's kid now has a Fiero. and he cant help but dump the clutch every time. we both have 85 SE's. visible differences: he has sunroof, I have hood vent. basicly it. different stickers on back window. I am hoping his young habits dont get me pulled over - or worse - vandalized.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

My take is if the cops pull me over I either have done something or have nothing to fear and they are just checking me out to see if I am up to something. That one stop that they do catch someone may save the life or loss for someone in my family it would be worth it to me. It is just my take on it.

Remember law enforcement officials are human beings just like the people they are trying to protect. They can come up with just as many goofy excuses to pull you over (no / dim license plate lights) as you can come up with to get out of a possible ticket.

Ahh, to be young and rebellious again.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Beware the green on back is enough to pull you over in any state. It by law needs to be red even if it is just the Pontiac

I see guys get busted for neon plate frames because they are not red all the time.

Re-check and re-read the law on that. You can have any color lights on the "Back" of the car you want as long as the tail and brake lights stay red. You are not allowed to have any color other than amber on the front of the car. When I bought the car, the PO had installed purple neon lights under the dash. I got pulled over 1 night and the cop told me that I could not drive with the neon lights on because from the front of the car they looked blue. By the way....the purple lights were the reason he stopped me and I was not given a ticked, just asked to turn them off. He said I could park and turn them on just not drive with them on. I asked him about green and he said green was OK just not blue or red that is visible while looking at the front of the car. I have been stopped at least 10 times since I have changed the PONTIAC lights to green and not 1 officer has even mentioned it.

Before I had converted the headlights (still had popups), my passenger side light had a bad spot in the motor and would sometimes fall down if hit a bump. I was coming home from work 1 night and was about 2 miles from home when I hit a bump and the light fell down. Sure enough there was a cop coming the other way and pulled me over for having a headlight out. I explained to him about the light and he wrote me a fix it ticket. All I had to do was show any officer that the light worked and have him sign the ticket. Then I had to take the ticket to the clerk of courts and pay a $5.00 fine.

I bought this car in 2001 and I have been stopped more times in this car than all the other cars I have owned put together. I have owned 2 other Fiero's in the past and don't remember ever getting stopped for stupid reasons in them. I have been driving 23 years, have always owned sporty cars, 72 Gto, 84 Camaro Berlinetta, tricked out Honda Civic (yeah yeah I went through the ricer stage) 4 Fiero's (2 currently), Katana motor cycle and a couple others but this damn Fiero is like a nightmare when it comes to the police.

On a side note... Having any type of lettering on the front windshield that is not seethru is illegal. Got busted for that one! Cost me $45. Having anything at all hanging from your rearview mirror is also illegal. The cop that pulled me over for the plate lights made sure to point that out to me as I have a necklace hanging from mine.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 06-04-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

On a side note... Having any type of lettering on the front windshield that is not seethru is illegal. Got busted for that one! Cost me $45. Having anything at all hanging from your rearview mirror is also illegal. The cop that pulled me over for the plate lights made sure to point that out to me as I have a necklace hanging from mine.

Excqueeze me?? The Indy came with big "PONTIAC" on the windshield.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

thats individual state laws, and the law may have been made AFTER 1984
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Its funny cause I got stopped for having letters on my front windshied and I told the cop that some cars come with letters on the windshield from the dealer and all he had to say was it's illegal. I had to remove it and then show the court that I had removed it.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Its funny cause I got stopped for having letters on my front windshied and I told the cop that some cars come with letters on the windshield from the dealer and all he had to say was it's illegal. I had to remove it and then show the court that I had removed it.

Well If I got pulled over in an Indy in Florida I would show up in court with evidence that the car came that way from the dealership. As long as it's above the AS1 line it doesn't matter what you put up there.
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Most of the laws like the windshield stickers and hanging things from your rearview mirror are bullshit and all about the money they can bring in. They are also designed to give them a legitimate reason to pull you over in hopes that they can find a bigger (more profitable) offense to cite you for.

When I was cited for the window sticker, I went to the sherrifs office and complained cause most of the business vehicles around here have the company name on the front windshield. They flat out told me that it was up to the officers descretion as to whether or not to cite someone for that offense. That in itself is profiling. If it is illegal then site "everyone" not just a select few.

Edit to add...I had that sticker on my car for 4 years before I was made to remove it. I just happened to find that 1 cop who wanted to be a putz about it.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 06-04-2007).]

AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Neat, I have bright green paint and I havent been pulled over once. I even get waived through at roadblocks around my town.
fotofrank

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fotofrankClick Here to visit fotofrank's HomePageSend a Private Message to fotofrankDirect Link to This Post

I have no front plate ( required in Illinois) and I think my rear plate lights are out. The car is red and has a 355 fascia. Several police have eyeballed me as I drove past but NO ONE has stopped the car in the 3 years it has been in this condition. Of course I happen to be 64 years old. LOL
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Re-check and re-read the law on that. You can have any color lights on the "Back" of the car you want as long as the tail and brake lights stay red. You are not allowed to have any color other than amber on the front of the car. When I bought the car, the PO had installed purple neon lights under the dash. I got pulled over 1 night and the cop told me that I could not drive with the neon lights on because from the front of the car they looked blue. By the way....the purple lights were the reason he stopped me and I was not given a ticked, just asked to turn them off. He said I could park and turn them on just not drive with them on. I asked him about green and he said green was OK just not blue or red that is visible while looking at the front of the car. I have been stopped at least 10 times since I have changed the PONTIAC lights to green and not 1 officer has even mentioned it.

Before I had converted the headlights (still had popups), my passenger side light had a bad spot in the motor and would sometimes fall down if hit a bump. I was coming home from work 1 night and was about 2 miles from home when I hit a bump and the light fell down. Sure enough there was a cop coming the other way and pulled me over for having a headlight out. I explained to him about the light and he wrote me a fix it ticket. All I had to do was show any officer that the light worked and have him sign the ticket. Then I had to take the ticket to the clerk of courts and pay a $5.00 fine.

I bought this car in 2001 and I have been stopped more times in this car than all the other cars I have owned put together. I have owned 2 other Fiero's in the past and don't remember ever getting stopped for stupid reasons in them. I have been driving 23 years, have always owned sporty cars, 72 Gto, 84 Camaro Berlinetta, tricked out Honda Civic (yeah yeah I went through the ricer stage) 4 Fiero's (2 currently), Katana motor cycle and a couple others but this damn Fiero is like a nightmare when it comes to the police.

Not sure on FL but in most states any light other than red is flat out illegal. We sell [Sorry to say] Neon plate frames world wide at work. We get calls all the time from people made they got a ticket for them [I would like to think it was a ticket for bad taste]. But any way in all cases it being a different color than red nailed them.

Now in Ohio any colored light other than red visable from the rear will get a ticket. Even neon bulbs under the car. Most times it is not enforced but it can and has been in the past.

As for the letter it is not a problem here as long as it is not over certain percentage of the windsheild.

Now anything hanging from the Rear Veiw has been getting enforced of late they even did a report on the news on it.

Bottom line is laws very from state to state and in Ohio the green will get you pulled over and a ticket mostly state troopers. The only exceptions are white for back up and amber for turn signals.

Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
I took it one step further and pulled my rearview mirror off completely. All that thing was ever good for anyway was helping showing me truck headlights.

I got pulled over awhile back for having no front plate at 3:00am. The funny thing was, when we turned his lights on I pulled into a parking lot and he pulled in and parked behind me he didn't even get out of his car. Didn't check for seatbelt compliance or contraband, and he didn't even ask for my license or insurance card. He just stuck his head out the window and hollered "Hey. You Jon Saale?" I said yes, then he says "You don't have a front plate, just thought you'd like to know. You have a good night." Then we both just drove off like something stupid hadn't just happened.

------------------

Don't look now, but I think the idiots have taken over the asylum.

AIM: JSAL86

ace35

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2007 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post
Got pulled over the other day for "erratic driving." Pff stupid ass cop was fishing ...follows me into the mall area and stops behind me to get out and tell me I had crossed the yellow LINES (DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH EM)...this JACK BOOTED THUG then goes on to ask me if I HAVE BEEN DRINKING OR ON DRUGS. \

Right from the start he seemed to be exhibiting this "GOD complex" talking to me about all these laws. So he goes BACK to his car and puts on his hat...now I know I'm screwed. I never heard a siren to begin with so he wasn't legally allowed to pull me over in the first place. He was probably on a cell phone, while eating a donut and drinking coffee too, but I couldn't see because HIS view was obstructed by all that video and radar equipment!!!

While he was walking up to my car his hand was on HIS GUN. I was about to get SHOT for erratic driving. I should have filed a complaint or two. I take a look back at the car and noticed the rear end was weighed down quite a bit. I think that was where he was keeping his drop guns, and evidence to plant on me. So as he is walking up the second time I can see his pockets filled with weed that he is going to throw in my Jeep as he "searches" it.

In the end he said he had run my plate, everything was fine, and to have a nice day. I think he wanted me to run so he could shoot me, because that's what all the cops want since they're all so trigger happy. So I stayed there and didn't move.

swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2007 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
Over here the police isn't interessted in checking out US-Car that much. Today they are checking out Mercedes, Bimmers and riced out cars.
Only "problem" I have is, when I drive over the border. Mostly I have to stop and they wanna check my papers. Pretty annoying.
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2007 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
If you from any other state I would say this is unusual. However Florida has the largest drug running problem in the nation with automobiles. I have seen reports on it, of people being profiled because they are black or have a certain type of car.

If you are really sick and tired of this, and are willing to fight it. you should file a lawsuit and have the dash cam video subpoena'ed as evidence and sue them for profiling. People do it and win sometimes. The cops have to prove that they pulled you over for a reason. If your plate is illuminated in the video and you can clearly hear them say they pulled you over becuase it was not, they are sunk.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

If you from any other state I would say this is unusual. However Florida has the largest drug running problem in the nation with automobiles. I have seen reports on it, of people being profiled because they are black or have a certain type of car.

If you are really sick and tired of this, and are willing to fight it. you should file a lawsuit and have the dash cam video subpoena'ed as evidence and sue them for profiling. People do it and win sometimes. The cops have to prove that they pulled you over for a reason. If your plate is illuminated in the video and you can clearly hear them say they pulled you over becuase it was not, they are sunk.

Florida's drug running problem is near the Georgia border. I live in southwest Florida no where even close to the border.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock