Started on: 12-17-2005 10:01 AM
Replies: 165
Last post by: Alex4mula on 09-03-2010 02:42 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2008 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. But bad luck is still here. Tried fix last night and made no difference I'm running out of ideas. I'll check the timing in detail today and see if I can make any progress.
IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I got solutions to two of my problems. The bog and rough running was the tune. It needed more fuel and less timing. I found a BIN that runs and I can drive but still feel way from acceptable. But I need to fix first to key items in order to test more. First the alternator. Well I think I finally found the problem and seem to be a ground issue. I powder coated the alt bracket and it seems to be the item causing all my grief in that area. It is not conductive. I attached a jumper cable to the alt and the other side to battery and chassis. My voltage went up from 12.5-13 to 13.85-14. So I now know what to fix but still not sure how. Maybe change to a spare uncoated bracket I have or add some wire grounds. Any ideas?
My final item is the starter. Luckily I have a spare to test. This one doesn’t want to crank when engine get hot after driving for a while. Once I'm done with those then I can focus on the tune and the 4t60 issues.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I guess these 3.4 threads are getting boring with so many 3800s & newer engines. Anyway, I grinded the contacts in the alt bracket and all was well. Got my 14V back. So be carefull when painting or coating this piece. I changed the starter and hot problem went away. Current one was bad with a loose contact. Of course with all my swaps things always go bad and now the 4t60 2nd shift doesn't work Oh well.... Some day I'll be done. And still a lot of tuning. Engine runs but very weak. Probably my next post would be after several month with dyno #s as I see very little interest on this. Here is a video of how it idles. It has a lopey idle that I like. C'ya

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
I got solutions to two of my problems. The bog and rough running was the tune. It needed more fuel and less timing.

I was going to ask if you had dyno results to determine that, until I saw your next post:

Some day I'll be done. And still a lot of tuning. Engine runs but very weak. Probably my next post would be after several month with dyno #s....

Pending those dyno results, would you hazard a guess as to what new parts are causing the engine to be so far out of tune that it runs poorly? Do you think it's the 272 cam, the Trueleo intake, or something else? My guess is that it's neither the cam nor the intake, but I'd like to learn of your thinking on that because you're obviously closer to this project than I am.

By the way, thanks for the many pics you've posted throughout this thread.

I expect at this point, though, you may need some interim dyno results to get this project tuned properly. Dyno numbers on the end result, like those you alluded to in December 2005, when you first originated this thread, may have to wait until the tune is nailed down with the help of some interim dyno numbers for diagnostic purposes.

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I don't think theres a lack of interest, after reading through the posts i figured the project wound up and went into thearchives. The 3.4 doesn't always seem like the biggest boost as far as engine swaps go but if done right they can still put up some solid numbers. Usually boosted of course, but good numbers none the less. I myself am considering a 3.4 turbo swap, but I haven't ruled out a 3800 sc or turbo, or even going th N* route. Keep the updates coming either way. I like to see how peoples projects progress, and you never know what will happen.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I expect at this point, though, you may need some interim dyno results to get this project tuned properly.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm far from even a basic dyno tune because the base tune is not there. First I have to connect my Innovate wide band O2 (it reads MAP, TPS & RPM too) and tune with it the low/mid/high rpms fuel tables to acceptable levels. Still need to play with timing too. I have all the equipment to burn my own chips. I just need more time to research the 170 ECM BIN variables and tables as I have never worked with this BIN. Once I have that then it would be time to go to the dyno for a final performance tune (get best power). Problem is that with all these other little (and not so little) problems that tuning time is wasted on that. If I can't drive the car I can't tune. Now I have to deal with that 2nd shift problem before I touch anything else. But my time is limited and my wife's patient is running short if you know what I mean. Still I'll post solutions to the problems as that is the key item to help others when they read these threads looking for answers the same way I do. Wish me luck
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

I'm far from even a basic dyno tune because the base tune is not there.....If I can't drive the car I can't tune. Now I have to deal with that 2nd shift problem before I touch anything else. )

Good point. I was hoping that after the problems you had shifting into reverse with the TH-125 trans, you would have had better luck after you switched to the 4L60.

Still I'll post solutions to the problems as that is the key item to help others when they read these threads looking for answers the same way I do. Wish me luck

A Trueleo intake manifold installation is in my future, and I may switch from the mild Crane 2030 cam for the daily driver I have to the Crane H-272-2 cam grind you're using, so I'm certainly interested in your build. I'll look forward to you posting those solutions you mentioned because I'm confident you'll find them.

By the way, if it makes you feel any better, remember that ultimately, you're dealing with inanimate objects here --- some car parts --- not evil incarnate (even though sometimes those car parts may seem like the latter).

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I hope soon it will get cool enough here to start working on this again. At least it now has a battery and I crank it up every week. I really like how it sounds.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

any update ?
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Great looking car!
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Whats new!!!
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Finally back to it. Will take trans side panel off to access the valve body and check & replace the 2nd-3rd valve. Will see,

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
beautiful lots of work. looks really good
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Tranny side open. This is the most intimidating part I have seen on my Fiero Now to get the VB out...

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
This is the valve body side. The arrow shows the 1st-2nd shift valve. It was stuck with the piston (A) where the X is instead of touching that wall. Still need to install pans and the rest back and test.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to update this. Not that many are following after near 4 years LOL! The above work didn't fix it Will drop cradle and take trany out and decide what to do. Maybe take it to trany shop or maybe put the 5 speed. Will see what may be cheaper. I would prefer to fix the 4t60 (easier to install back) but if too expensive I'll better invest in the 5 speed as would only need pedals, line, master and clutch.
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Still watching here. Enjoy both threads on your cars
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
i must say i LOVE this car!
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Hopefully soon I'll get back on this. I just need to finish a nasty oil leak I have in my other car....
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

i must say i LOVE this car!

me too ! Definatly one of my favorite notchbacks !

The first year i ever went to Daytona i saw this car and instantly fell in love !
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

me too ! Definatly one of my favorite notchbacks !

The first year i ever went to Daytona i saw this car and instantly fell in love !

The poor car is just a faint of what it was back then. It will have a better engine but looks are degrading fast after 4 yrs on the drive way I put it inside the garage today to drop the cradle and finally do something with the tranny.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Good to see my favorite car back in the works.

Sent you a PM.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Your favorite car will now get a 5-speed transplant I should have done that since the begining. Ditching the 4t60. I have the Getrag from the red car, axles, shifter and a cable. Just ordered the rest Cradle is out and I expect in 3+ weeks it should be near completion. Also will upgrade injectors. I'm excited again with this car

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
You're going to like it.

------------------
Raydar

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-02-2010).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2010 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Hey Alex, just a little reminder of the glory days ! Daytona 2004, i was loving it !

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh! Something I am familiar with. I put a Spec stage 3\

Trany on

I changed injectors to 19lbs from FIC. These are the old ones from a 3.3 Buick. With the Truleo intake you can take off the whole assembly. That's cool. The new ones are a little shorter but they fit ok.

Now to work with the shifter, cables and then the pedals and line. Trying to get this running by end of month.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I got myself a stick & three pedals Almost done. Trany, line, master pedals and shifter are on. The major PITA were the pedals. I rather do three clutch jobs than changing pedals in another Fiero again. Working under thre was like being in a torture chamber At least the garage has natural A/C these days here in FL

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...I rather do three clutch jobs than changing pedals in another Fiero again.

I understand. Believe me.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Engine runs! Very close to move. Just need to bleed clutch. Today I uploaded the same BIN file that I was using when the engine was in the red car. I don't know if it is because of the new fuel injectors but the engine runs smooth and nice. I'm so happy!!! I used that same BIN before without great success. So maybe the old injectors had issues or something else. No matter what it will move soon. Yesss!!

FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Sounds pretty good, I always liked the way even the stock 2.8 sounded when the exaust wasnt all leaky and ticking.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Update. Car is moving. Bled the clutch and all went fine. The Spec 3 is working fine foward but reverse for some reason gives a huge jerk back when it engages. It is like an on-off switch. Hope is related to clutch break-in. I have another thread on that. The tune lets the car run but is off. It runs smoothly but powerless. Need to put the wideband and start tuning it. At least it finally moves so that will let me work on it slowly. Let see if by summer is ready and I can get it to a dyno.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Your timing might not be advanced enough.

FWIW... My 3.4 with the 272 cam actually ran "okay" on a bone stock chip with 19# injectors.
The BLMs were maxed negative, but that was no surprise.

Even passed emissions that way. I'm sure the cat wasn't happy, however.

Edit - Just checked out the vid. Nice! Nice thump to the idle.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-24-2010).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Your timing might not be advanced enough.

FWIW... My 3.4 with the 272 cam actually ran "okay" on a bone stock chip with 19# injectors.
The BLMs were maxed negative, but that was no surprise.

Even passed emissions that way. I'm sure the cat wasn't happy, however.

Edit - Just checked out the vid. Nice! Nice thump to the idle.

How much timing are you running? Last night I woke up thinking what could be something causing the weakness. I powder coated all brackets and that gave me hell with the alternator because grounds got F%&^ up and was not charging. I fixed that one. But I am using a stock coil that is mounted in a powder coated bracket. Maybe the ground is not good and it is giving a weak spark. Today I fixed a connector to run my MSD coil with my Jacobs ignition box and installed it. Will check timing and do a test run and see how it goes. Hopefully that is part of it.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
So I did my test run and cars definitely feels better with the MSD/Jacobs ignition setup. Feels good enough for every day driving but I know I need to adjust the fuel as I can feel some flat spots. Problem is that my a$$-o-meter is so used to the V8 torque in my other Fiero that it is very hard for me to gage if the V6 feels really weak because it is or just because I'm used to the big push from the V8. Oh well.... Now to fix other little things (starter cranks slow, draging caliper) and get new tires, alignment,etc... It never ends!
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
So I got new starter and solved the slow cranking problem. But only to have the solenoid fail after just 70 miles Autozone replaced it but gave me crap on the Lifetime warranty saying it is only good to replace the first one. This was the third one. Well at the end the just gave me the 4th one free again. I put new tires but now I will need another trany There is something wrong with reverse and 4th and is rattling a little. Oh well. This would be the 4th trany too. I may be setting some record here Tune is getting better but with trany issues is still going slow....
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. 4th trany went in and finally this one is working fine (Thanks Clem). Got it aligned and started to log tuning data when the starter faileed again! So now I'll try to get a new non remanufactured one. The saga continues....
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
In my 3.4 i used a starter from a 3800 trust me you will love it way more tork and a much more solid sound at star up just my 2cents
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

In my 3.4 i used a starter from a 3800 trust me you will love it way more tork and a much more solid sound at star up just my 2cents

Thanks. Well today I finally found my mistery starter killer. It was the damn cable. More specifically the terminal at the starter side. It had some corrosion but I didn't think it was that bad. Today handling it a little it broke apart. Put a new cable and it now spins as strong as it should be. I'm happy again Now back to tuning....
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
So finally the car is running right. Took me one week to do the cruise and WOT tunning but it came out ok. Below is the AFR chart on a 2nd gear run. It is between 12 and 13 where I wanted it. Also started to build the exhaust towards the back. The hardest part was that S shape pipe shown below. Pipe is 2.5" all the way to the rear. Need to decide what tips to use. I was planning on stock ones but not sure yet. This magnaflow muffler sounds exactly like the Fiero Borla unit I used to run with it in the red car. That's good. More later.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Congtratulations !

So what else do you have planned for her ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock