Started on: 12-17-2005 10:01 AM
Replies: 165
Last post by: Alex4mula on 09-03-2010 02:42 PM
goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
The chevy performance manual says that the max lift on the cam for a 2.8 is .540 with heads only shaved just enough to ensure a good seal. Comp Cams and WCF also sell conversion rocker arm studs so you can run SBC full roller rockers and Harland Sharp has them in a 1.65 ratio.

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 01-07-2006).]

IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

Is there any way you could post a clearer pic of the velocity stacks inside? I can't really see anything in that pic you posted

Does this helps? This is looking inside from the TB tunnel. What you see are the runners entry point.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Well finally droped the engine. One man job but what a hassle. Always forget about all the little steps to disconnect everything... Found some interesting surprises that were not noticeable while I was running it. Look below. Now clean-up time!

What a mess...

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Definitely Pontiac did a very poor design of this engine compartment. They should have designed some type of water containtment system to avoid rain water to fall behind the engine. Try to change these nice rusty bolts...

I never heard this cracked manifold...

And this one was very interesting. A missing manifold bolt (or broken?) Never heard it leak.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
Try to change these nice rusty bolts...

How far do you live from the ocean? I'm guessing there's a lot of salt in the air.
Mine were rusted, but not that badly.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Cool project Alex - another great thread in the works (much like your V8 swap)!
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks MinnGreenGT

Originally posted by Raydar:

How far do you live from the ocean? I'm guessing there's a lot of salt in the air.
Mine were rusted, but not that badly.

Steve; I live about 12 miles from the coast so it is not that close. But I bought this car used so who knows where it lived before. At least now I confirmed that the engine had some work done at some point because the wiring harness has some tape over it and that missing bolt in the rear manifold. The engine ran very strong for a 117K miles engine so maybe it had some internal work done.

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see it on a dyno! That baby looks nice!
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Some little progress. I was able to strip the wiring harness from the motor and leave it in a state ready to separate it from tranny and cradle. I forgot all the different holders it has at different places for the harness. I needed to take pics of them so I don't forget where they go. Now more cleaning to do. All the rusted bolts came out except one.Sawzal with it Also found a crack in the body of the alternator. Do you think I need to replace it? How much does a reman cost? Tks

Is this too bad? I think so.

GmetalGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GmetalGTSend a Private Message to GmetalGTDirect Link to This Post
Alex. Whats up man. I just found this thread. Everything looks awesome! Cant wait to see it in person. Are you going to Daytona and if so, what car will you be taking?

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

2005 SRT-4

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GmetalGT:

Alex. Whats up man. I just found this thread. Everything looks awesome! Cant wait to see it in person. Are you going to Daytona and if so, what car will you be taking?

Did you sell that nice GT? Shame on you! Yes I plan to be at Daytona and hopefully will take both cars. Most probably I'll drive the same day early in the morning. Will see.

PFF
System Bot
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello Very nice job on the details. thanks Norm
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2006 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I don't know why we enjoy this hobby. Sometimes I just think we are a bunch of masochist that like sweating and getting hurt sometime in the process. Just venting a little. Anyway, what do you do when you have an axle that doesn't want to come off? Easy. Just take the whole tranny out with it.

Now if I could have this weekend free to clean this up.... More to come next week.

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Wow, if yours looked that bad and you didn't know it, then I wonder what my front mani's gonna look like when I take it off to fix an exhaust leak (I can hear it inside the cab). Thx for the pic of the runners, and gl with the build
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
More findings from the autopsy. I knew I had a problem with a mount as I could hear the engine rock but didn't know was this bad. The front engine mount is trashed and don't even look at the front tranny one...

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Today I decided to put the engine back in the cradle. First I needed to install the intake. At one point I was going to wait until the engine was back in the car and install the intake then. This was to avoid rising the rear of the car more to clear the taller intake/engine combo over the dolly. But then I thought that maybe rising the car could be easier than installing the intake in the car. Boy was I right! I had the engine in the engine stand to install it and still was a real pain. Can't imagine this ordeal at the engine compartment. Main problem was the fuel rail. First the two bolts to hold it were not properly aligned so I had to enlarge them a little bit to clear the bolt. Then there was no way to get the fuel rail in with the injectors in place. It was way easy after taking off half of them and then reinstalling them with the fuel rail in. When it was time to install it over the lower manifold it was VERY difficult the get the injectors to snug into place. The clearances are so tight that I had to push and juggle from different angles to get it in. Still i'm not sure they are right. I just hope they don't leak. Getting the bolts in was ok with access around the engine like I had. Overall took me near 1 hr to get this thing in. But at least I accomplished my goal and the engine is on the cradle mated to the tranny. Now to connect that converter...

Here is the misalignment result...

and the fix;

This is how it looks after everything was tight. Not sure if those injectors are seated properly because after so much juggling I didn't know when they clicked

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
one more..

But at the end I was able to get here.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I have the short runner intake as well, and it is possible to get the fuel rail in with all the injectors in place. You have to go in through the side with the rail at an angle and keep rotating it back and forth to clear. Its a very snug fit, but it'll get in there. I had the same trouble with the bolts, it took me a long time to get both to line up and thread in, but eventually I got it and snugged it all down. No leaks yet! I was doing it with the engine in the car, too.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Cool some one else useing Jacobs wires

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

I have the short runner intake as well, and it is possible to get the fuel rail in with all the injectors in place. You have to go in through the side with the rail at an angle and keep rotating it back and forth to clear. Its a very snug fit, but it'll get in there. I had the same trouble with the bolts, it took me a long time to get both to line up and thread in, but eventually I got it and snugged it all down. No leaks yet! I was doing it with the engine in the car, too.

I guess it is possible but I was scratching all the intake inside. Taking off the injectors is the way to go. It is so easy to take three off and put them back that there is no excuse not to.

Originally posted by sardonyx247:
Cool some one else useing Jacobs wires

To me those are the best. Only if the would come in different colors....

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
So Alex, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed yet, but what kind of flooring are you using in your garage? Is it epoxy?
(I ask because I'm buying a house and want to do something to the garage floor to help prevent oil stains, etc.)
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

So Alex, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed yet, but what kind of flooring are you using in your garage? Is it epoxy?
(I ask because I'm buying a house and want to do something to the garage floor to help prevent oil stains, etc.)

Ja!! All of my local friends noticed it and loved it. It is a Rust-Oleum floor paint kit sold at Home Depot for about $60. They also have a heavy duty one (found out that one too late) for about $100. They both cover about 250 sqr-ft which is good for a one car garage or a small two car garage. I had to use two kits anyway because I did it one half first (moved everything to other side) and then the other. I have to say that it is very strong. The big test is this one. Rolling the chery picker with the engine on it doesn't even scratch it and oil cleans out easily. I highly recommend it. Your wife will love it too

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=56&SBL=1

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
Your wife will love it too

Well, I got the garage. Now all I need is the wife.
Maybe I should put an ad in the paper?

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
This last week I spent every evening and then Saturday prepearing this thing to go in. I don't know why we spent so much tine on this hobby... Is the little details that take so much time. Here are the results on the cradle. Hope you like it

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
This side shows my muffler setup. It is a Magnaflow offset inlet/oulet with 2.5" in/out and 2.5" down pipe. It will have a turndown in the meantime. Not sure if I'll take it to the back. I have another idea that I may like to try

FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverDirect Link to This Post
That looks sweet. Did you think about using chrome or polished fasteners for the intake? I guess I should ask if they are available, that would make the whole intake look really good.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMGDriver:

That looks sweet. Did you think about using chrome or polished fasteners for the intake? I guess I should ask if they are available, that would make the whole intake look really good.

I'm not sure which ones are you talking about. The only ones that can be seen are the three you can see from the top and two of those are chrome.

FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverDirect Link to This Post
I was referring to these bolts, but after you added the wiring, vacuum lines, etc, I guess they aren't as noticable. I still wonder if there are shiny fasteners available though.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMGDriver:

I was referring to these bolts, but after you added the wiring, vacuum lines, etc, I guess they aren't as noticable. I still wonder if there are shiny fasteners available though.

Ok. Yes they are still visible but they are kind of disguised as you can see here.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Well finally put the engine back. Good news is that there were not a single leak anywhere Here is how it looks in the car..

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2006 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Now the problems. The CRX CAI doesn't work with the FOCOA headers as you can see in the pic Had to go to PepBoys and buy an extra 45° elbow to add and cut to fit and clear the hinge. So it was a combo of the two. Came out nice. This intake is super tall as you can see in the pic below. I hope it doesn't scratch my hood. haven't tested that yet.
So I went and started the car with the stock chip. It ran like crap until closed loop but then the idle was bad and had some stumble at partial throttle. I ran the engine to break in the cam and it overheated. For some reason the temp gage is not working so after the fan came in I used my IR and it was in the 230s°. Shut it down and checked everything. Well, then I installed one of Troys proms. The one with less fuel and more timing (#110). It still runs rough until it gets to closed loop but not as bad as with the stock one. Then it runs much better but still seems to have a little stumble. All this is without load because I haven't run it yet (looking for an axle). But still main problem is still overheating. I have tried to burp it several times. Raised the car, lowered the car couple times. Never I have had so much trouble burping it. Unless it may be something else. Hope not. The new muffler sounds very nice. Have a nice deep rumble. The engine shakes a little so I guess maybe it is the cam lope. Other than that it sounds tight. Will keep trying. Thanks for reading

PFF
System Bot
BITBYFIEROBUG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2006 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BITBYFIEROBUGSend a Private Message to BITBYFIEROBUGDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I overlooked this thread soo many times. Good god that looks awesome. Keep it coming.

------------------
Live Like You Were Dying

GmetalGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2006 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GmetalGTSend a Private Message to GmetalGTDirect Link to This Post
Great Job!.. Cant wait to here how this turns out on the Dyno and street.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

2005 SRT-4

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Just a quick tip - If you get a deep 10mm 12pt socket, you can use 2 of the old chrome upper plenum bolts to hold the throttle body on instead of the boring black ones. I used the 2 short chrome bolts for the throttle cable bracket like you did, plus the chrome bolts on the TB. Little touchs
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Just a quick tip - If you get a deep 10mm 12pt socket, you can use 2 of the old chrome upper plenum bolts to hold the throttle body on instead of the boring black ones. I used the 2 short chrome bolts for the throttle cable bracket like you did, plus the chrome bolts on the TB. Little touchs

That's a good tip! I have plenty to choose from after discarding two plenums. Didn't know they fit

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Nothing but bad luck. Many things have gone bad and it has delayed everything. Now it is even raining here Anyway... I was able to finally find a fix to my transmission cable and I can shift. The overheating is gone (burped) and the thermostat is working ok. The car is on the ground.
But... the intake hits the trunk pretty bad. It is about 1/8" to tall. I lifted the front of the hood (hinges) temporarily but that won't do as the hood looks misaligned to the side fenders . Also the car doesn't idle too well and when I put it into gear it dies. I installed my EEPROM carrier on the ECM so now I can burn PROMS easily and do adjustments. The problem is I need to get more educated and know what the hell to modify... Still my main problem now is that seems the ignition switch is bad. It was acting before and sometimes when you hit it the starter wouldn't engage. I though it was the starter but this one is a different known good one and is doing the same. Will have to order it and install it and I'll be traveling too so that would be at least another week gone by without being able to move the car. I guess maybe my wife will give birth first (yes she is pregnat, due Mar 6!) before I give birth to this thing....

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 02-04-2006).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
I thought the trueleo was supposed to fit under the stock decklid? Did you do something to alter this or does it not fit?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

I thought the trueleo was supposed to fit under the stock decklid? Did you do something to alter this or does it not fit?

I'm using stock rubber mounts and stock lower gasket. It was a surprise to me. I guess I'll need to try a grove on the inner hood as I don't want to grind the intake.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
The engine looks awesome but sure does set high in the engine bay!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
It's looking good Alex!
You'll get it sorted. I have confidence.

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

I think it'll fit under a GT decklid. It's about > < that much too tall to clear my decklid, as well.
I believe the long runner version wil clear with no difficulty, as I think the plenum sits lower.

I installed a Mustang scoop on mine, and cut out the opening above the engine. Problem solved.
In retrospect, I probably could have put 1/2" spacers between my rear cradle mounts and the frame rail, and it would have had plenty of clearance.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock