Sphynx 3800 Turbo 87GT build by fieroX
Started on: 12-24-2008 01:27 AM
Replies: 140
Last post by: rpro on 08-06-2009 09:57 PM
Sphynx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Well I got the car back and MAN am I shocked at the power it makes. It really sets you back in your seat. The drive home I was averaging about 18 mpg driving around 70-80 mph with a few sprints up to 100 mph in between.

I think I over-did it though as my transmission will not go into park during the middle of the trip. I think the cable got loose when I punched on it. My problem is that I just can't seem to get the cable to be locked into park. I had pulled the cable all the forward and then put a little clip back down but when I went to try it, it did the same thing. The only way the car starts is when it's in N. The R portion is now in between the P and R on the Fiero shift indicator. Grr I'm so frustrated with it right now.

Other than that, I'm impressed with the job Ryan did and I can't wait to take it to a track once I get some time.
IP: Logged
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I knew you'd like it. Did you have any work done to your trans? I don't remember seeing anything in the thread about it. And you have to get it to the track and get some times. I'm curious to see how your setup will compare.

Congrats on getting her back and have fun!

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.864@ 119.6mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3800 N/A in my garage I may have to let someone play with and install in my GT once I'm back to work. I'm looking forward to seeing the car tomorrow.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sphynx:

Well I got the car back and MAN am I shocked at the power it makes. It really sets you back in your seat. The drive home I was averaging about 18 mpg driving around 70-80 mph with a few sprints up to 100 mph in between.

I think I over-did it though as my transmission will not go into park during the middle of the trip. I think the cable got loose when I punched on it. My problem is that I just can't seem to get the cable to be locked into park. I had pulled the cable all the forward and then put a little clip back down but when I went to try it, it did the same thing. The only way the car starts is when it's in N. The R portion is now in between the P and R on the Fiero shift indicator. Grr I'm so frustrated with it right now.

Other than that, I'm impressed with the job Ryan did and I can't wait to take it to a track once I get some time.

We can take a look at it if you want. I'll check it out at the show (I'll have my trailer/tools with me) and if we cannot fix it there or it will be too involved, you can bring it to my shop. I can fab up parts there if necessary.

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 04-22-2009).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

averaging about 18 mpg driving around 70-80 mph

I would say that is lower than what I and other turbo 3800 fiero people have seen.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 04-22-2009).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That thing must be pig rich at cruise... Fuel economy seems rather low...
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I thought the mileage would be better too. It really needs a wideband, of course Thomas loves to go WOT in it, so that doesnt help matters much :P. I bet if it were driven at 65-70 mph, with 0 boost all the time, it would get 25+. Sprints to 100+ suck fuel like nobodys business in a turbo car.
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
Ryan, Nice work on Thomas's car. You up for another this coming winter?
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

Ryan, Nice work on Thomas's car. You up for another this coming winter?

sounds good, bring it on over
madbrad01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Direct Link to This Post
wanting to know how much this mod cost?I work with a big mouth with a mustang,and I know my 4.9 is not going to get the job done.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madbrad01:

wanting to know how much this mod cost?I work with a big mouth with a mustang,and I know my 4.9 is not going to get the job done.

This car will for sure. Big time sleeper.
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Yeah, I thought the mileage would be better too. It really needs a wideband, of course Thomas loves to go WOT in it, so that doesnt help matters much :P. I bet if it were driven at 65-70 mph, with 0 boost all the time, it would get 25+. Sprints to 100+ suck fuel like nobodys business in a turbo car.

I've learned this lesson quite well already. I am working on a tank of gas right now and I'm trying to stay out of boost just to see where my mileage currently stands. I'm hoping to 30mpg, but I have not turned my cruise timing up yet so I might not quite get there. I have notice that people with cams get about 4-5mpg less.

My drive home from ft. wayne netted me about 23mpg, but like sphynx, I couldn't help but to do a number of 70-100mph runs. It's such an awesome feeling when the turbo spools and you just take off.

------------------
gmtuners.com -Build info

madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Direct Link to This Post
will zz performance turbo kit fit in the fiero?
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madbrad01:

will zz performance turbo kit fit in the fiero?

No. The y-pipe puts the turbo into the firewall. There is no "kit" per say. Every turbo fiero on the board is different in a number of ways and they are all custom.

By custom, I mean custom y-pipe and/or exhaust plumbing and custom charge pipe.

------------------
gmtuners.com -Build info

madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Direct Link to This Post
Anyone know if Ryan will sell part's or piece's.I think I'm to far away from him.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I have notice that people with cams get about 4-5mpg less.

I consistently get reports of better gas mileage when I tune a cammed car. The crazy ass IS3 SC cam I tuned got 28 measured at the tank on the way back to lapeer after I tuned it in flint. He said his around town mileage was in the low 20s.

20/28mpg is pretty typical for a gtp, but I attest some lead foot driving to be the cause for the low MPG.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
any dyno numbers or track times yet? hows it been running? Ryan planning on making kits based on this setup?

------------------
Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6 Intercooled
Best ET: 12.20@ 114.90 mph (street tires)
11.74@115 mph (drag radials)

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Hey, things have been going great with the car. I actually dropped the car back off at Ryan's last month to get some more goodies installed. I'm getting a new chin spoiler, dew wipes, electronic boost controller and more installed. Since Fiero Addiction is getting out the business, I'm looking at some brake upgrades as well.

Haven't had a chance to take it to a dyno yet, I probably won't be able to do that until next year as I'm planning on a move to Colorado in January.
rpro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
What part of Co are you locating to?
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Planning on going to Fort Collins and going to school at CSU. I've been looking for apartments that have garages to store the Fiero during the winter.
rpro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2009 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay