Sphynx 3800 Turbo 87GT build by fieroX
Started on: 12-24-2008 01:27 AM
Replies: 140
Last post by: rpro on 08-06-2009 09:57 PM
JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
I love the simple look of that setup, headers, turbo, nothing else... lol, so what is the wiring going to look on this sucker? Oh, and if you have time to explain, how does an intercooler work housed in the intake?

Edit: i own page 2

[This message has been edited by JesseM (edited 01-03-2009).]

IP: Logged
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JesseM:

I love the simple look of that setup, headers, turbo, nothing else... lol, so what is the wiring going to look on this sucker? Oh, and if you have time to explain, how does an intercooler work housed in the intake?

Edit: i own page 2

The wiring will be very clean. We will get there pretty soon. The intercooler housed in the intake will work just like the intercoolers they have for the supercharged cars. They will just sit in the intake stream, and all of the boosted air will flow through it. Hope this helps.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2009 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
here is the long awaited pictures of the intake!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

next it gets powdercoated green!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to hearing this thing purr
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Lifts are great, but one of these makes them even better - nothing like pulling all the cradle bolts with the cradle 3-4 feet in the air. Also, makes a good engine/cradle dolly and work bench.

We use a vehicle lift and a motorcycle lift underneath to drop the cradle. The motorcycle lift is less expensive than the hydraulic table lift and it works equally well. Takes us 3-5 hours to drop an old Fiero cradle depending on how well all the bolts cooperate. The rear cradle bolt internal frame nuts occasionally break loose and the front cradle bolts sometimes need some massaging with an air hammer. Without those two impediments dropping the cradle with a lift should take about 3 1/2 hours and now back to the topic. Looking good Ryan..
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-03-2009).]

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
Only here could you be building a sweet turbo setup, and everyone is more interested in your lift..

HAHAHA

gotta love it
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-03-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I am really impressed with the welds on the aluminum. Not a lot of spatter on the intake. Great job! I do have concern with the cardboard intake setup. Wouldn't heat be a factor? What about gas permeating the cardboard? Any flow problems? Would packaging tape seal out any intake leaks? Alright, I am done. Great thread...
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
Is that a serious question?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I am really impressed with the welds on the aluminum. Not a lot of spatter on the intake. Great job! I do have concern with the cardboard intake setup. Wouldn't heat be a factor? What about gas permeating the cardboard? Any flow problems? Would packaging tape seal out any intake leaks? Alright, I am done. Great thread...

LOL
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Does the TB bolt right to that piece, or is there a 'neck' between it an the TB? Interested in decklid hinge clearance and charge piping routing. Don't keep us in suspense.
PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
The LS1 tb bolts right to the intake. The intake height is right at the same height of an M90, so decklid clearance and piping clearance wont be a problem. Plus the tb wont stick out near as far as the L67. The piping from the turbo to the intake will be interesting. I should have it all done early next week.
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Where's those pictures you promised?
Any luck finding a muffler? I searched and didn't find any good ones.
hammer18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Direct Link to This Post
just wanted to say im very impressed everything looks top notch and well thought out.

Tyler
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
new pics coming soon!
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
BUMP !
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Any new pics Ryan?
mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanDirect Link to This Post
bump
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
New pics coming soon! Been super busy the past 4 days with the Starbird car show.
PFF
System Bot
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to make everything custom every swap, or will there be a kit anytime in the future?

Greg
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Any new pics?
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
bump, any news?
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
MM That sure is one hell of a damn good shop i've been to FTW and loved every min of it and even the ride in the
slow x-machine!! LOL JK i had a blast wish i could work in a shop like ryans. Welds look damn!!!! Give the guys props!!!

P.s Ryan you coming down to KC this summer i'ma get ALOT of guys together for a meet and to go to the track
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Nice work. I would just double check with a turbo authority about the sizing of your exhaust feed pipe to the turbo. Larger seems to improve the top end while smaller accelerates the exhaust flow and spools the turbo up quicker for a better bottom end. When I did my 3.4L turbo a guy that built and installed custom turbos advised me to not go larger than 2" on the crossover for the street. Turns out that he was right as the bottom end is very strong and the turbo boost comes on fast. I believe that for street/strip 2 1/4" would do it on a 3800 but thats just an opinion. In any case I would consider heat wrapping the crossover pipe to keep exhaust pressure high. It made a difference in improving the spool up time on my turbo installation.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE WILDCAT"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

riceviper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for riceviperSend a Private Message to riceviperDirect Link to This Post
Well sorry it has taken so long for the update, one we have been super busy, and had to hire a employee to keep up with the demand. Two we have been waiting on parts. Anyways on to the build. We cleaned up the trunk, fixed all the rust issues, and painted everything that needed it. We installed the heat shield, removed the rest of the parts not need for the swap (except the intake tube, which will come off today). The engine now has fuel rails and injectors, and all the suspensions parts are powder coated. Also as you can see the engine is back in the car, we had to modify the engine and car to make everything fit. Thomas wanted to keep the trunk so we had to really complact things to make it work. Though now that we have all the rest of parts you will see lots of updates happening very soon. Also we hit a snag yesterday the rear craddle mount nut decided to brake loose inside the frame, so we are fixing that as we speak. Anyways keep your eyes peeled theres going to be another turbo fiero running around soon!!!!

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. I can't wait for the first test run. I hope it'll be in the next few weeks.
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay. Here are the most recent pics.

Up next is the throttle cable bracket, shift bracket and charge piping.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
anything new?
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Ha ha, mine's complete! :P

j/k man. Trust me, you're going to love it.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Will this have a low mount alt setup that connects with the stock location dog bone or something new??
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
got a lot of new things finished recently. I guess I underestimated the amount of work I put into my car over a period of 5 years, haha. Thomas' car is turning out 10x nicer than mine though. I expect to see this thing in High Performance Pontiac Magazine bro!

[img]http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/ftwmotorsports/turbo fiero/IMG_0846.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/ftwmotorsports/turbo fiero/IMG_0847.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/ftwmotorsports/turbo fiero/IMG_0848.jpg[/img]

front suspension is going back together today, just powdercoated it yesterday, looks freaking amazing. Im having my guy do mine next.

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 03-14-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001
I have no idea why its not letting me hyperlink the pictures.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by nosrac:

Will this have a low mount alt setup that connects with the stock location dog bone or something new??

Originally we had planned to install a/c and build a low mount setup that would connect to the dog bone, but with the addition of the electric water pump I found that belt routing would be almost impossible without fabrication of multiple idler pulleys/brackets. But I talked to Thomas, and he is moving to Colorado soon, so we decided to delete the AC, and put the alternator where the ac compressor would go. I modified the ac compressor bracket to accept the alternator, and it can slightly adjust so there is no need for a tensioner or idler. This will also free up parasitic hp, from not having to turn a ton of pulleys. I am still working on a low mount setup, and will have something put together soon. One of my buddies just got laid off from Cessna, and has been building an L67 88 Formula in my shop with my guidance and I we will be building the bracket for his. I will keep everyone updated as his swap gets further along. Main priority right now, is to get Thomas' car on the road ASAP!
vortecfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
looking good !
Id recommend a flex pipe between the left and right side so the expansion and contraction forces
have somewhere to go otherwise you may find it will tend to crack somewhere near the Y pipe.
also you may want to support the turbo from underneath.

that should be one nice setup when its done
------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B H3 turbo and a S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

[This message has been edited by vortecfiero (edited 03-14-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vortecfiero:

looking good !
Id recommend a flex pipe between the left and right side so the expansion and contraction forces
have somewhere to go otherwise you may find it will tend to crack somewhere near the Y pipe.
also you may want to support the turbo from underneath.

that should be one nice setup when its done

This is the old setup I had on my Fiero (the one that put me into the 10's) and It had a flex joint and the flex joint actually cracked on the inside and caused an exhaust leak (preturbo, which is very bad) that took me months to track down. I ended up taking it out and hard piping the crossover, and havent had a problem since. The V-band flanges have a little bit of flex in them. Also the turbo is supported. There is a stainless plate thats welded onto the bottom of the crossover that goes to the turbo flange. Works fantastic.

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Fixed them for you... between the word fiero and turbo in your link there was a space... just replace it with a %20 and it works... its how the browser recognizes a space.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 03-14-2009).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
weird, didnt even notice the space. Thats just the way photobucket made the link for me. never had that problem with any of the pictures earlier in this thread. oh well. thanks for fixing them for me btw.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock