Sphynx 3800 Turbo 87GT build by fieroX
Started on: 12-24-2008 01:27 AM
Replies: 140
Last post by: rpro on 08-06-2009 09:57 PM
Sphynx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

I'm planning on stopping over on Monday morning and having a look see. Make sure you're working when I come by.

When will you have the first test fire?
IP: Logged
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I am working on the wiring right now, and am hoping to possibly have it alive by Monday (if we can get a tune on it by then). About what time will you be swinging in? Man you are going to love this thing.
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Hope to be in the area Sun night and I'll swing by around 8 am. I'll give you a call Monday morning.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sphynx:

Hope to be in the area Sun night and I'll swing by around 8 am. I'll give you a call Monday morning.

Man, I dont even open till 9. :P. Guess youll have to get some breakfast somewhere until i get there. haha.
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Went and saw the car, it looks great. I'm impressed with his work, sure doesn't mess around.

I'm regretting not getting candy coated BRG though.
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Did you have a chance to get it started running yet?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Any chance it will be at the Gateway Fiero Show? (St. Louis)
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Im pretty sure it will be at the Gateway show.

Heres pics I just took.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001
all we have left to do is run the spark plug wires, wire the harness into the c203 and c500, fill with fluids, and hook up power. then tune of course. Im thinking it should be running mid next week. I am going to drive the car to and from the shop for about a week to make sure its good for the 10 hour drive back to illinois.
hammer18

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Direct Link to This Post
great build everything is looking great.

just a couple questions

did you mount the turbo more on the left side of the crossover pipe because it would be to close to the firewall if it was mounted in the middle? and if it was mounted mounted in the middle of the crossover pipe would the turbo spool any faster because of more even exhaust pulses? just throwing it out there.

and my last question whats your opinion on running headers and cutting out the trunk and mounting the turbo where the trunk would be?

I'm planning to start my turbo build hopefully soon that's why i ask.

Thank you.

Tyler
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hammer18:

and my last question whats your opinion on running headers and cutting out the trunk and mounting the turbo where the trunk would be?

Tyler

This is fierox's car...

http://i386.photobucket.com...20fiero/IMG_0729.jpg

I'd say he approves of the idea..
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I would say he copied me.
Chicken McNizzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
And I would say you copied him
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I would say he copied me.

hahahaha, post of the year right here. I have been planning this for years. Plus how does the fast guy copy the slow guy? Hell I bet zzp copies your ideas too. hahahahahaahah
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Actually, call matt up and ask him where he got the idea for the "invisible turbo kit" from.

You were the one that came into MY thread that was posted for a good 6 months with your pictures of a FWD header turbo setup... It was quite obvious that you copied me. I was the first one that has ever put a turbo flange on a FWD setup like this in a fiero.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 04-04-2009).]

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
Chris West at WCF was turbo'ing everything Fiero while you were standing in line at DMV for your learner's permit - give it up already and stop being such a hater
Nick_Black

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick_BlackSend a Private Message to Nick_BlackDirect Link to This Post
shut up both of you. (fieroX and darkhorizon)

you both are amazing and acomplised machanics, BUT

Darkhorizon, almost every thread of fieroX's I've read you allways but in on how he should improve.
you may be right, but sometimes even if your shure you are right, you should just stand back and support him.

in this case it's a bit diffrent, you started the childish "he is copying me!" childish rutine, who can really know who thought of what first? I wouldn't surprised if someone had the Idea before both of you. just stand back and keep your mouth shut. and if it helps you, you should feel good that you helped inspire one of the best (no one is ever "the" best) but don't rub it in thier face.

FieroX:

your too proud, although I respect that you are proud of your work, you get all worked up as soon as you sniff that someone might be better then you (I'm not saying darkhorizen is better then you, I've just noticed in alot of threads you jump in and say "I'd like too see him beat my time and still get good gas milage"
so, just ignore Darkhorizon and get on with the build as if he never said anything

grow up guys, your both amazing, but you 2 should seriusly grow up.

DON'T reply to this, just keep going with the build, becouse that is educational, fighting like kids just gives a bad rep to the fiero community.

/rant
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wastegate looks like it was an oversight...

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-10-2009).]

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
It's almost done. Ryan just got it started today, should have a small cellphone video to post I hope. Today was the alignment and tune. Ryan will road-test the car for the next week or so. Hopefullyhe can make it down to OK and get it dyno'd.

Plan is to pick it up on the 20th of April.
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Actually, call matt up and ask him where he got the idea for the "invisible turbo kit" from.

http://www.ststurbo.com/

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Good to see another Turbo Fiero on the road.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!

Besides a hidden turbo setup I thought of would be in the side panel where the water/air seperator is.
make the stock aircleaner a water to air intercooler. The only way you could tell, is the exhaust going in and out of the side, but that would be hard to see.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Car ran for a few seconds yesterday, with the PCM out of the X machine. Tom was supposed to come tune it yesterday, but we got hung up on a few issues and I didnt get him called until 5, and by then his wife was on the way home from work and they were going to a movie. So Im at the shop now, and he will be here in a little bit. I have an appointment at the alignment shop at 1, hopefully we will make it. If not everything will be done on Monday. We have a video camera, and plan on getting some video when it runs for real the first time.

And to the haters and flamers on this board who like to jump in my threads and tell me what I did wrong, or how I could do it better all I gotta say is, prove what your fingers type and show me with your own stuff. Darkhorizon, putting a turbo flange on the back of some stock grand prix manifolds is nothing to be proud of. My setup is nothing like yours. Hell my headers alone were more than your whole setup.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2009 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite engine builds.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
So ability to spend tons of money mindlessly > engineering a economical solution?
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

So ability to spend tons of money mindlessly > engineering a economical solution?

Not really, but when your fabrication skills are first rate, you can engineer an economical solution + have a quality looking and perfoming product while keeping your cost down. For those of us with out the means (time, talent or tools) to do it ourselves, then spending "tons of money" for a quality (looking and performing) product is the solution.

Nick_Black

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick_BlackSend a Private Message to Nick_BlackDirect Link to This Post

shush you, how is that of any benifit to this thread? don't answer that on here, answer it for yourself and next time you post. (this is not a discussion about you (sorry for the harsh comments but the both of you (fierox and you) seam 2 have pride issues and is putting alot of test on this thread that I have to read thrue that isn't helping me learn from the build... if you want to show something, show it in your own thread how to do it economicly (like fieroX said) and I will support you for it)

Anyways, any chance on pictures of the oil line hookups? I'm looking at doing a similar build and am curios as to where/how the lubrication system is set up.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I just tapped off of the port coming out of the oil filter housing, and ran a 1/4" steel line with a -4 an fitting to the turbo. Real simple and cheaper than a braided line. Plus you never have to worry about it breaking, melting, splitting, etc. I have a real cool tubing bender, thats how I made the fuel lines and such.

Car ran today, its tuned pretty good. Have to go to a wedding now, so this will continue on monday. Happy Easter~!

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 04-11-2009).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Works for archie
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

I just tapped off of the port coming out of the oil filter housing, and ran a 1/4" steel line with a -4 an fitting to the turbo. Real simple and cheaper than a braided line. Plus you never have to worry about it breaking, melting, splitting, etc. I have a real cool tubing bender, thats how I made the fuel lines and such.

I think the tubing looks much better than the braided stuff. I plan on redoing my fuel/oil lines this way at some point too. I have gen 1 zzp rails and can't stand them.

Its good to see another turbo 3800 finally running. I can't wait to see how this thing performs on the track. They seem to be the new (only) way to make actual power. My 84 machine trapped 123mph last wednesday.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Working on a video for you on Youtube Thomas. I did get some pictures of it. Enjoy!

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.0@118mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)
NEW ENGINE SETUP COMING SOON! STAY TUNED!!!

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Amir, thanks for the photos. I actually saw the video on Youtube, all 2+ minutes of it. I can't wait until Monday when I pick it up.
PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
There's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVKakaDto38

I updated the link again.

Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
What did you end up using for the muffler? sounds good
InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

What did you end up using for the muffler? sounds good

I'm sure he used something Darkhorizon invented

Looks/sounds good nice work X.

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 04-17-2009).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the oil feed may interfere with a turbo blanket. Just something to consider before it leaves shop.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
That is an afterburner muffler. 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets. I made everything fit without having to touch the trunk. The wastegate feeds back into the system too. Not sure about the turbo blanket, never used one. I just made the steel line because it matches the fuel lines, and those braided ones are getting super expensive. Just doing everything I could to save Thomas money.

Glad you guys like it! I really want this cam, this car will beat mine off the line, and it has the 2.93 gears. Mine has 3.29. This sucker has so much torque. Next mod to X, is the ZZP stage 2 turbo cam.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

That is an afterburner muffler. 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets. I made everything fit without having to touch the trunk. The wastegate feeds back into the system too. Not sure about the turbo blanket, never used one. I just made the steel line because it matches the fuel lines, and those braided ones are getting super expensive. Just doing everything I could to save Thomas money.

Glad you guys like it! I really want this cam, this car will beat mine off the line, and it has the 2.93 gears. Mine has 3.29. This sucker has so much torque. Next mod to X, is the ZZP stage 2 turbo cam.

That car doesn't sound much like mine. I like the sound of my magnaflow better. That ST2 doesn't seem to have any lope though. What do you have the idle set at?

I love my turbo blanket. I am amazed at how much heat is held in by it and the rest of my wrapped exhaust. Considering my MBC is right near the turbo exhaust housing, the blanket has saved me from some rather nasty burns already. I think they are well worth the cash.

Ryan, what kind of cam are you running now? I thought you were running something custom. Whenever I get around to building another shortblock, I plan on running the ST2 as well, along with some super-secret pistons

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo
gmtuners.com

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-17-2009 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Jinx's car sounds better than both.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

That car doesn't sound much like mine. I like the sound of my magnaflow better. That ST2 doesn't seem to have any lope though. What do you have the idle set at?

I love my turbo blanket. I am amazed at how much heat is held in by it and the rest of my wrapped exhaust. Considering my MBC is right near the turbo exhaust housing, the blanket has saved me from some rather nasty burns already. I think they are well worth the cash.

Ryan, what kind of cam are you running now? I thought you were running something custom. Whenever I get around to building another shortblock, I plan on running the ST2 as well, along with some super-secret pistons

Yeah, the idle is set high because we were having an issue with it trying to idle too low, come to find out it had an L67 IAC in the LS1 tb, and the pintle was stuck in the air flow hole. Tom hasnt been back to finish the tune yet. Its set to idle at 1200 right now, but Im going to bring it down to 850-900, depending on the lope. So far this car has done amazing. Had a few small issues today, but overall I am very impressed. This car is motivating me to get my new setup done asap.

Which magnaflow are you running? I looked everywhere for a non baffled style muffler thats the fiero muffler dimensions with 3" in and 2.5" outs, and this is all I could find. I think it sounds good though, actually sounds a lot like a stock 2.8L fiero, just with more rumble. This car is the ultimate sleeper right now with the stock tires, and sounding somewhat stock. You could make a fortune at the street races. hahahah. I know for a fact just by feel, this car can run 12.20 or better, and its not even totally tuned yet. Thomas, you are going to shlt man. On your first test drive, I am bringing a video camera to catch your response. It will make the ultimate youtube/streetfire video.

I am running an erson regrind cam that I designed back about 5 years ago. The 3800 cam technology has come so far, my cam is really outdated. I am seriously considering going through my engine one last time with a new cam, higher compression pistons and some new bearings. I know it will go 9's soon

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 04-17-2009).]

Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
I used the afterburner too on my 3800 swap, fits in there nice without cutting the trunk. as for the sound, I am supercharged and ive been stopped 3 times for loud exhaust. But turbo motors a usually quieter, or atleast when the wastegate is shut.

good work guys, looks and sounds great.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock