Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New Dual Plenum Intakes for Fiero (2.8) V6 (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
New Dual Plenum Intakes for Fiero (2.8) V6 by toddshotrods
Started on: 08-14-2007 11:41 PM
Replies: 192
Last post by: toddshotrods on 01-12-2010 09:26 PM
merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
composite intake here...mine

IP: Logged
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Bump....what's going on?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2008 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
I didn't want to post again until something changed. I stopped work on all the custom parts I was developing (including the Fiero intakes) because I just didn't trust the suppliers I was working with. I had been searching for, and testing, new suppliers the whole time but never found what I was looking for. What I decided to do was shut the business down for a while, sell my house/shop, and move. I am now located in Columbus, Ohio. I am in the process of getting myself settled in here, and restarting my business. As soon as I find the suppliers I need, I want to get back to work on these intakes. I have been itching to do them, and hoping there is still a market for them when I do.

As before, there will be no financial risk to anyone except myself. When I get everything ready I will start producing them and offer them for sale.

Happy Holidays!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Hey, thats pretty close to me!
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

I didn't want to post again until something changed. I stopped work on all the custom parts I was developing (including the Fiero intakes) because I just didn't trust the suppliers I was working with. I had been searching for, and testing, new suppliers the whole time but never found what I was looking for. What I decided to do was shut the business down for a while, sell my house/shop, and move. I am now located in Columbus, Ohio. I am in the process of getting myself settled in here, and restarting my business. As soon as I find the suppliers I need, I want to get back to work on these intakes. I have been itching to do them, and hoping there is still a market for them when I do.

As before, there will be no financial risk to anyone except myself. When I get everything ready I will start producing them and offer them for sale.

Happy Holidays!

Still onboard, keep at it! -Jason

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jason

Originally posted by mattwa:

Hey, thats pretty close to me!

We'll have to hang out neighbor!

I hung out with Roger Garrison for a while at his favorite spot, yesterday evening, and he gave me a lead on a shop near his that may be everything I need under one roof. I did some research on them today and I am hopeful... I will be paying them a visit soon. Just being in a real city, and seeing the capabilities of the first lead I look into, gives me complete confidence that I will be able to finally start producing some things.

I know this has probably been frustrating for you guys, because a lot has been promised to the Fiero comunity and little is often delivered, so I hope you understand that it has been an hundred-times as much so for me because this is my occupation. I am a perfectionist and I would rather starve (almost did - literally) than put out inferior, inconsistent, undependable, products. I am willing to make minor compromises to see tangible results but I have to be able to sleep at night knowing my name is out there, somewhere, on something. Unfortunately, there are already too many compromises out there with my name on them that I can't take back, so I am determined to do things right from here on out - or die trying.

Stay tuned...

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 12-18-2008).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
If you ever wander up to Delaware stop in and say hi. I don't see too many Fiero guys around here.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

If you ever wander up to Delaware stop in and say hi. I don't see too many Fiero guys around here.

Yup, likewise if your in C-bus.

I've been tinkering around with a couple projects in the meantime to keep my skills sharpened. This is the shifter for the Vega project I have been working on for the last three (?!?) years. The shifter itself is a B&M(?). The console and "shifter boot" are fiberglass. The boot will eventually be covered with red leather - the paint was just to get an idea how it will look. The gate plate was hand cut, hammerformed, and machined from a flat piece of 2.5x12x1" 6061 billet. I can live with it but the polisher was kind of careless on the edges. The knob was turned from 6061 bar stock.

This one shows more of the dash - which is one of those things my name is on that I am not happy about. I just did the initial sketches and built the foam buck. Somehow it has been shape-shifting in ways that are not pleasing to my eyes during the fiberglass and bodywork phases Oh well... The raw fiberglass panel with the paper circles is the gauge panel. It will have eight Autometer SportComp gauges in custom buckets (set back) and five long handle toggle switches, where the paper mock-ups are. It will have a special "top Secret" final covering...

The blurry pics are from my bottom of the line RAZR V3 - my real camera is broke.

Just wanted to let you guys know I still "got it"!

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 12-18-2008).]

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Best wishes to you for success with your V6 Fiero dual-plenum intake manifold project that you initially sketched out for us at the outset of this thread over a year ago:

Much more recently, you stated:

I stopped work on all the custom parts I was developing (including the Fiero intakes) because I just didn't trust the suppliers I was working with.

IMHO, that was a very wise move on your part.

I learned a valuable lesson along those lines from a guy I once worked for several years ago.

Much to the consternation of certain of our customers who insisted some custom, one-of-a-kind work be completed on a "super-rush" basis, he'd always warn them, "Calm down, because if you don't, and you want it bad, you'll get it bad."

He didn't make any friends among our customers for saying that sort of thing, but he was right IMHO.

Good luck with the Fiero dual-plenum intake, and take care (literally).
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Best of luck in your new place, Todd.
We're still here.
PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Best of luck in your new place, Todd.
We're still here.

Originally posted by project34:
Good luck with the Fiero dual-plenum intake, and take care (literally).

Thanks guys! One of the first things I plan to do, as soon as I get settled in here, is finish the models so that the parts can be cut in a minute's notice. When the models are finalized, a pair of intakes could actually be ready to install in a matter of hours.

I didn't give dates when I said I just moved. I got here (Columbus) Monday, the 8th, so I am literally in the process of getting all my stuff moved here and getting me settled here. Half of my stuff is here and half is in storage in my old hometown. As soon as the pressure of surviving in the middle of economic death subsided, and I could start focusing on what I want to do I thought about the intakes...

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 12-21-2008).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Yup, likewise if your in C-bus.

I've been tinkering around with a couple projects in the meantime to keep my skills sharpened. This is the shifter for the Vega project I have been working on for the last three (?!?) years. The shifter itself is a B&M(?). The console and "shifter boot" are fiberglass. The boot will eventually be covered with red leather - the paint was just to get an idea how it will look. The gate plate was hand cut, hammerformed, and machined from a flat piece of 2.5x12x1" 6061 billet. I can live with it but the polisher was kind of careless on the edges. The knob was turned from 6061 bar stock.

This one shows more of the dash - which is one of those things my name is on that I am not happy about. I just did the initial sketches and built the foam buck. Somehow it has been shape-shifting in ways that are not pleasing to my eyes during the fiberglass and bodywork phases Oh well... The raw fiberglass panel with the paper circles is the gauge panel. It will have eight Autometer SportComp gauges in custom buckets (set back) and five long handle toggle switches, where the paper mock-ups are. It will have a special "top Secret" final covering...

The blurry pics are from my bottom of the line RAZR V3 - my real camera is broke.

Just wanted to let you guys know I still "got it"!

Matt likes.
ceverhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2008 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceverhartSend a Private Message to ceverhartDirect Link to This Post
good enough for me lol,

I think you made a good choice- too wait until you had good/reliable suppliers.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
I loaded some pics of the complete intakes, parts, and a blown-apart view, on my cell. Today, or at least one day this week, I am going to the shop I mentioned and see if I have really found a one-stop supplier. I used the Fiero intake because it represents two of the main services I need - multi-axis CNC milling and expert TIG welding. I am just using the cell pics because this is just a "feel them out" visit. I'll let you know how it goes...

Edit: I went today, and am very pleased with what I saw and heard. Barring some unforseen obstacle, I think this shop is exactly what I have been searching for. Full service, and quite capable, without being so big that a small guy like me doesn't find a "welcome mat". The shop supervisor took the time to give me a nice little tour, and I was impressed with what I saw (both capability and quality). No prices were discussed as I didn't mention any specific projects. This visit was more about business-to-business compatibility.

The thing I liked as much as anything I saw was that he listened to me, and very quickly. I gave a brief description of what I do, why I was there, and what my needs were, and the very first thing he did was show me a whole bunch of customer projects that were in various stages of completion that were exactly the type of services I need. It was like he had taken a tour of my business and understood what I needed, because he answered almost every question I would have asked before I had a chance to open my mouth. Then we walked through the shop and he showed me the equipment, and capabilities of the shop. I left with a smile on my face, and a "sigh of relief" in my mind.

The next step is to run a couple smaller projects through to establish a working relationship, and begin paving the way for the intakes. Keep your fingers crossed...

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 12-22-2008).]

blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2008 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
This stuff looks pretty good Todd. I think you will have some serious consideration and interest with the ideas you have.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2008 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkpearl:

This stuff looks pretty good Todd. I think you will have some serious consideration and interest with the ideas you have.

Thank you
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2008 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The new fabricator *does* sound promising.
I hope he works out for you.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad it worked out, it sounds very promising. -Jason
Swedish Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2008 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
Looks very interesting, will follow this thread closely..

------------------
Swedish Fiero

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Rather than wait for me to get my life in order, you may be able to get them here. I told Chris I would support him with this product, because my goal was just to give something back to the community in doing it. So, let him know how many of you are still interested in them...

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 02-05-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
The thread is down Can a new thread be built? Keep us posted...

Cordially,
Kevin
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
So, no-one ever did this? I thought Chris would have been cranking them out by now, since I'm taking forever to get my business back up and running. I have the connections, and the money - just don't have the time right now. I am working a full-time job, working my business full-time, and going to school full-time. I never forgot about them though, just can't get to it...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

So, no-one ever did this? I thought Chris would have been cranking them out by now, since I'm taking forever to get my business back up and running. I have the connections, and the money - just don't have the time right now. I am working a full-time job, working my business full-time, and going to school full-time. I never forgot about them though, just can't get to it...

Holy crap! I totally stole your website address???

I've been on here for almost a decade. I was randomly typing in website addresses one day in GoDaddy that I thought was cool and I thought of "TODDSHOTRODS.COM" (since my name is also Todd). I put a back-order sale at Go-Daddy for the website and I snagged your website. I totally had no idea that it belonged to you or to anyone that owned a Fiero for that matter.

Sorry about that. It re-directs to PontiacPerformance.Net (my normal website).

EDIT: I noticed it on your signature at the beginning of this thread. (Sorry)

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 01-12-2010).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

Something about a square version appeals to me more than the tubed. In my mind it seems to fit the style of a Fiero, and looks more performance/agressive than round pipes sitting on top of the engine. The thing that sticks in my mind the most about the squared version is that I fell in love with this:

This is hot. I have wanted to make something to replace the top on my turbo car as an intercooler. I think I will build something like this and have them also work as intercoolers. I just have to check air volume and split it between them.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
These would be really nice to have. But I already powdercoated a stock pleunim so I gotta use that for now. Looks awesome but flows like crap.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Holy crap! I totally stole your website address???

I've been on here for almost a decade. I was randomly typing in website addresses one day in GoDaddy that I thought was cool and I thought of "TODDSHOTRODS.COM" (since my name is also Todd). I put a back-order sale at Go-Daddy for the website and I snagged your website. I totally had no idea that it belonged to you or to anyone that owned a Fiero for that matter.

Sorry about that. It re-directs to PontiacPerformance.Net (my normal website).

EDIT: I noticed it on your signature at the beginning of this thread. (Sorry)

Not a problem, I need to change my profile info here. I changed my business name, because I do a lot more than automotive now. My domain changed, accordlingly, to toddperkinsdesign.com. Have fun with toddshotrods.com - I did!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Not a problem, I need to change my profile info here. I changed my business name, because I do a lot more than automotive now. My domain changed, accordlingly, to toddperkinsdesign.com. Have fun with toddshotrods.com - I did!

If you want it back, let me know. I'll sell it back to you for what I paid in GoDaddy fees ($50 bucks or something...)

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I'm veigly interested... I dont have much money, but if it looks REALLY cool, I would definitely consider.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

So, no-one ever did this? I thought Chris would have been cranking them out by now, since I'm taking forever to get my business back up and running.

If by "this," you're referring to the dual plenum intake manifold for the V6 Fiero, no, no one ever did this on anything more than a "one-off" basis.

In fact, I started a thread in December 2009 asking that very question, "Are There Any Dual-Plenum Intake Manifolds Being Manufactured for V6 Fieros?" ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/078871.html ).

I'd hoped that somebody would have been manufacturing these. However, the short answer was "No."

In any event, welcome back!
PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
As I stated in the MAP sensor thread - no promises, but I will look into an idea for this. One of my main biz associates now has a full-service race engine shop, complete with CNC mills. He also works a full-time job, runs his shop full-time, and was planning on a second doctorate, but when we can finally sit down and discuss it I will see about having some of these parts cut. By the way, this guy is also (like me) a former Fiero owner. The last time I was at his shop he had a V8 Archie plate bolted to an F40 trans, under the bench. It's a remnant of a former project, and it's for sale.

Again, no promises and it could still take a while. I just don't have time right now - I shouldn't be on here posting. Hope my clients aren't spying on me.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by project34:...In any event, welcome back!

Thanks! You guys are still, hands-down, the coolest bunch of car-addicts I have found on the 'net!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock