Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New Dual Plenum Intakes for Fiero (2.8) V6 (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
New Dual Plenum Intakes for Fiero (2.8) V6 by toddshotrods
Started on: 08-14-2007 11:41 PM
Replies: 192
Last post by: toddshotrods on 01-12-2010 09:26 PM
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I deleted A and D on mine, removing the coolant tubes. I'll let you know if that causes any issues this winter...
IP: Logged
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
In the photo below, the black line is B, and the red one is C.

(edited to correct)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-07-2007).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
C (the small fitting) is ported vacuum for EGR.
B is ported vacuum to the evap canister.

The coolant lines are generally considered a throwaway, especially on an aftermarket installation. (Mine have been gone for years with no ill effects,)
It is not necessary to cap them but they can be, for appearance. I believe I even removed the brass fittings shown in the pic.

Edit - Great diagram, Blacktree!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-07-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

A funny looking guy, in a funny looking brown outfit, driving a funny looking brown truck, left this great looking part!

http://d94132.u23.simplenet...es/UPS%20girl%20.jpg
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Heheheheheh... I've got pretty much that same series.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Heheheheheh... I've got pretty much that same series.

Made it Avatar size
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Is there any specific reason for it to be two separate plenums? Some of the concerns of EGR and vacuum hookups have been brought up already. Now, I'm not suggesting a design change - just musing a bit. And possible thinking about mods to this product or add-ons.

The Camaro 3.4 SFI used a similar intake, with a plenum over each side but they were Y-ed together with one throttle body. You could possibly make up an add-on y-pipe to do the same and run one larger throttlebody. That still gives the other benefits of the dual system - fuel rail access, looks, etc.

Another thought is a large bridge between the two plenums. In effect making a large H shaped plenum with the EGR and vacuum connections going to the balance bridge. This would need to be larger than a hose - maybe half the diameter of each plenum?

Any ideas or thoughts?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
...Any ideas or thoughts?

Every argument that I've ever heard pretty much concluded that a common plenum (or even a balance tube) is not necessary.
If both halves of the engine are the same, there's no reason for the balance to be off.
Aside from that, there is still a common chamber to the intake system. It's the center of the lower intake, where the CS injector and Idle Air tube are located.
Granted, it's not much of a connection, but it's probably enough.

Of course, I'm willing to listen to any arguments. It's not like I actually have any experience with this.

Edit - It would probably be easy enough to test. All it would take would be two identical vacuum gauges.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-07-2007).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'm thinking not so much for balance, but the bridge gives an easy way to hook up vacuum lines and EGR, and a Y gives the advantage of only 1 throttle body and makes the cabling, etc. easier.
PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Maybe in subsequent versions (if this one sells well enough), but this plan is pretty much set. It is intended for owners who want the exotic car look of dual plenums and dual throttle bodys; and a less restrictive upper intake setup. That person has to be willing to deal with some minor inconveniences; e.g. working out the details of the vacuum system and EGR. As I indicated, I plan to release a complimentary vacuum setup later. My goal is to include a linkage bar for the throttle with the intakes.

I thought the vacuum and EGR requirements were more complicated.

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Bump
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
speaking of people with experience... here is a different thread about other peoples' custom dual TB intakes.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077346.html

And here is mine:

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:
I thought the vacuum and EGR requirements were more complicated.

I think the vacuum can be taken from either side, with no issues.

The EGR is another story. The Fiero upper plenum has a ~1/2 inch hole in the underside, just behind the TB, where the EGR tube attaches.
This EGR *must* be fed to both banks of the engine if it is used at all.

My fix for this (if I even keep the EGR for this application, which I doubt) will be to run it to the lower intake, where the (unused) cold start injector now resides.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Raydar. The idle air / cold start passage in the lower intake should be more than enough to equalize pressure between cylinder banks. The idle air tube and cold start injector hole are also convenient places to plumb in the vacuum / EGR / PCV lines.
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Todd, as a sugestion, not a demand. If you incorporated a couple mounting tabs on the inside of each log, you could use a peive of sheet metal bolted to the tabs to cover the valley. This sheet metal could be custom engraved, or painted. It would be at an aditional cost to the customer, But I think it would look very nice. If I buy a DTBI I will buy one like that, or modify the one I buy to work like that.

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Good info - I'm all ears...

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by p8ntman442:

Todd, as a sugestion, not a demand. If you incorporated a couple mounting tabs on the inside of each log, you could use a peive of sheet metal bolted to the tabs to cover the valley. This sheet metal could be custom engraved, or painted. It would be at an aditional cost to the customer, But I think it would look very nice. If I buy a DTBI I will buy one like that, or modify the one I buy to work like that.

I like it. I have a couple ideas for it that wouldn't stick people who don't want it with tabs on their otherwise clean plenums. More on this later...

------------------

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442: If you incorporated a couple mounting tabs on the inside of each log, you could use a peive of sheet metal bolted to the tabs to cover the valley. This sheet metal could be custom engraved, or painted.

It wouldn't necessarily need to be sheet metal, either. You could mold the cover plate from fiberglass, or... dare I say... carbon fiber.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Aluminum and carbon fiber would be offered. I feel better about carbon fiber on top of the engine (heat). I don't want to produce them but carbon fiber valve covers would finish that off nicely

------------------

PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
you can mimic carbon fiber with paint pretty easily. I saw it on tv i think you just paint the part in silver then lay a mesh fabric over it and then paint over the sillver with black and when you remove the mesh it looks like carbon fiber.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet... But what if it was water cooled?
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
You mean the whole plenum? Almost anything is possible, but it sounds expensive.

------------------

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Not really, the thermostat cover already has the connections for the TB coolant lines on it. Just bypass to the intake. But that would just heat up the intake like it heated the TB. Unless your boosting, cooling the intake isnt necessary. You would be better off using Phenolic spacers on the 2 tubes to prevent heat soak.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That's interesting! Do you plan to put it on a dyno in the near future?
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Chris : NICE Y pipe . . . You make that?

Norm
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
mmmm you need to do one for the 3.4 dohc id buy one in a heartbeat.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
If I can get it all finished in time I am going to dyno it on Sept. 30th.

I did not make the Y Pipe. It is one of those old FOCOA headers that has been ceramic coated.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

mmmm you need to do one for the 3.4 dohc id buy one in a heartbeat.

I need to see a 3.4 DOHC with the uper intake off. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to accomodate. Also, I need to know if the TB flange is the same of different. Anyone have pics and info???

------------------

PFF
System Bot
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
http://www.realfierotech.co...hp?t=1649&highlight=

Todd, Lots of info in that thread, just have to weed through it.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Every argument that I've ever heard pretty much concluded that a common plenum (or even a balance tube) is not necessary.
If both halves of the engine are the same, there's no reason for the balance to be off.
Aside from that, there is still a common chamber to the intake system. It's the center of the lower intake, where the CS injector and Idle Air tube are located.
Granted, it's not much of a connection, but it's probably enough.

Of course, I'm willing to listen to any arguments. It's not like I actually have any experience with this.

Edit - It would probably be easy enough to test. All it would take would be two identical vacuum gauges.

You can get away with two totally seperate pleniums, however; unless you balance them with a vacuum setup like they do with 4 carb cycle engines they will NOT be blanced, close, maybe but not balanced. Those throttle plates have to open at the same time and they should continue to open at the same rate 9somethign some dont check for) . Some may say it dont mater. If didnt mater then CC heads, keeping runner lenghts the same etc dont mater either.

And one note on Y-ing the two pleniums to one big TB, has its merits. But doing such, would also likely add to plenium volume which most dual plemium designs already have too much of, and that makes for slugesh throttle response.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

ceverhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceverhartSend a Private Message to ceverhartDirect Link to This Post
bump, so I can find it easier
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Good idea, double bump. Keep the faith guys, we're gonna get there...

------------------

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
bumpity...
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I've been busy lately and missed this thread until now. I'm still very interested! I'll let Raydar guinea pig the set-up and then order mine!
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

------------------

carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
It does kinda look like Raydar( who missed a great RFTH)!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

It does kinda look like Raydar( who missed a great RFTH)!

Not anymore. Not since I shaved the beard.

Yeah. Dammit. I hate that I missed it. I hadda go and get sick that weekend.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-18-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock