Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New and Improved Fiero Badges... (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
New and Improved Fiero Badges... by F-I-E-R-O
Started on: 11-29-2006 11:51 PM
Replies: 355
Last post by: Greg Z on 02-14-2009 11:11 AM
shredd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shreddSend a Private Message to shreddDirect Link to This Post
Got mine today, good stuff, now I need to play around with a paint scheme.
IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

The badges came in today and look great!!

Pics?

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I just ordered a screen printing system with paint that is made for metal use. It should be in within the next few days. I ordered balck and red. Depending on how that works out, they have a bunch of other colors to chose from. This will be interesting. I can't wait to try something that doesn't involve me squinting under a bright light and cursing...

PM sent about the badges, more going out in the morning.
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Got mine today. They are excellent. Well worth the wait. Thanks Andrew
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
got'em now the painting begins.. any pointers for anyone out there?

should it be clear coated afterwards for rock chips all that fun stuff?

very awesome btw!

before I forget also.. I got 2 in the same envelope mistake?

ok scratch that PM Andrew read through the posting more my mistake I'll hit up a few people and share my ideas if they work well.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 02-09-2007).]

F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2007 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

I have an idea...

http://www.ultradome.com/ultradomesm.mov

Yea, that's a great idea except did you read the part about not being for outdoor use like on cars? I suppose it would work for trailer-queens or if you were going to use them in the trunk. Mounting on the side of the fender wouldn't be as bad as the hood, too though..
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Here's this...

Article written by: Terry Morris, Terry Morris Productions, Sept. 2000
Hello all, I have been asked to elaborate on epoxy doming like shown on the key chain I did above.

First a simple explanation, epoxy doming is the effect of placing epoxy on the surface of most anything that has an edge, like labels, cut metal and such, surface tension will keep the epoxy from running off the edge of the item, that is until it's mass exceeds the strength of the surface tension, when the epoxy hardens it leaves a clear glass like dome covering the item.

To see the effect simply place a penny on a flat level surface, then using an eye dropper put some drops of water on the penny until the surface is covered. Keep adding one drop at a time until it forms a bubble of water on top of the penny. Now, imagine if that water were actually clear epoxy and you let it harden, the penny would then be epoxy domed.

The epoxy used in doming comes in a few varieties:

2 part mix
Low intensity UV cure
High intensity UV cure

It is not the same stuff as you get at a hardware store, it is made for the main purpose of doming, it hardens to what they call "water clear" and the surface tension is higher than normal so you can get a good size bead or bubble.

All of these have pros and cons.

Two part mixes: These are easy to use, pretty cheap, and are UV resistant, they also come in varying hardness but are usually semi soft. The down side is that you must mix them, you have a limited time to complete work until they gel (between 10-20 minutes) they then take 24+ hours to cure and are not real hard. When I mix up the 2 part stuff I put it in a small 2oz. squeeze bottle that has an .063 Luerlok tip (used in the epoxy business) these are cheap enough that I just toss the whole bottle and tip when done (cost about $1), I mix up 1-2 ounces at a time, 2 ounces will do about 20 key chains.

Low intensity UV cure: These use a standard black light (UV light) to harden the epoxy (takes about 20 minutes), it is relatively easy to use, has an unlimited work time (won't harden until exposed to UV light) and is very hard when cured (like glass). The down sides are that you must work in low UV lighted room (no sunlight or fluorescent light) they cost a little more than 2 part but less is wasted because any unused portion can be used again later (2 part mixes harden no matter what) also they are not UV stable, that is they will turn yellow after 6 months in direct sun and crack in about a year of sunlight.

I like using low cure for items like key chains and labels (for indoor use) as well as name badges and even trophy plates. I also use 2 part mixes for outdoor use items, like on cut vinyl letters for vehicles (this is a whole industry unto itself) and other items that either might get UV exposure or that I want/need to be slightly soft and flexible (you can press your fingernail into it, though it will usually heal itself.

High intensity UV cure: This comes in both hard and soft forms, cures in 15 seconds, and pretty much is like low intensity version. The down side is same as low except the light source is also very expensive ($1,000 to $5,000) and it generates a lot of heat while curing, this means it cannot be used on paper products and things that can't handle quick heating to 200+ degrees F.

In industry the high intensity cure is most often used in high production plants like those that make lapel pins and large quantities of key chains. The 2 part mix is used a lot for automotive emblems and short run promotional items. Low intensity cure is kind of between the other 2.

I have used the gun system, there are two problems with them, the first is they charge way too much for the amount of epoxy you get and when you open a tube you must use it all!! If you leave the tube part full it will go bad in a few days do to exposure to air, also you must use a new mixing tip each time you epoxy, the tip cost money as well and makes the whole thing very expensive.

On average you can figure a tube system will cost you $10 a tube to use, for the same amount of bottle epoxy where you mix it yourself will cost you about $2 or less if you buy in bulk, that is a significant difference.
If you have problems with bubbles, you are probably getting these due to humidity, I bought a d-humidifier to help, you need to have humidity of 50% or less, basically the higher the moisture in the air the more bubbles you will have.

Epoxy doming is a great addition to color sublimation, I use it a lot with Mates to make fantastic stickers, I also print on cut sign vinyl (using an Alps MD-5000) and then dome them to make stickers with wild vinyl (metallic, Metal flake, holographic, Pearls....).
The 2 part mix I use is a product called 3DV (stands for 3 dimensional vinyl) sold by Sign Mart (800-533-9099 or CA residents 800-696-9470) and the UV resin I use is sold by Deco-Coat 1-888-EPOXIES. Deco-Coat also carries the mix stuff but I tried their cartridge mix system and did not like it, I have not tried there mix by hand stuff.

I've started working on putting a blacklight "oven" together, which really isn't that hard to do, and looking for a good epoxy product to use. There are auto makers who use epoxy on their emblems like this...

Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
I got the badges and the first thing I thought when i saw it was, "OMG, I want this as a belt buckle!"

So... yeah. Can you hook that up? That would be totally sweet!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Oh, crap I totally forgot about this. I take it the "standard" badges are now available? If so, I'll make good on my offer.
fastback 88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
Im sorry to say that Im still waiting for my three,and the mail already came today.
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastback 88:

Im sorry to say that Im still waiting for my three,and the mail already came today.

They are on their way! I think I included something extra if I'm not mistaken...
fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
Thanks I'll let you know when I recieve them.
fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
I must have a snail for a mailman because I still haven't recieved them.
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
I sent you a PM awhile back which was never answered. Do you have the Supercharged version in black or blue (if you've been able to make the color thing work), or if you have the original black one you made and posted a picture of earlier? I need one now painted or unpainted. What would the total be for what you have sent to 46060?

Thanks,
Greg
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Greg,

PM sent. Sorry about that-
Midnightclub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightclubClick Here to visit Midnightclub's HomePageSend a Private Message to MidnightclubDirect Link to This Post
I realy like the idea of these...seriously considering it.

perhaps 4 for my wheel centres....

But i would realy like some nice pontiac arrow badges too. Can anyone help out a poor Aussie in finding some arrow badges that are certain sizes?

If u know of where to get some i would realy like to hear about it.

If i get the redesigned badge, ill get it in gold and white...Fiero GT maybe...but then i would need gold and red arrowhead badged for the side pillars to match., and maybe gold and red arrows for the wheel centres.

thinking....Hrmmmm....
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
Still haven't recieved mine?! Whats going on??
fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
Still nothing!!!!!
87GT_97114

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
I've been messing with some when the weather cooperates. I don't have a garage to paint in, it's totally out of the question inside a 30' RV.

The one on the left has stained glass window spray paint. I tried it because I thought it would stick to a shiny surface. It does, but stained glass has some rough texture. So does the paint, if it wasn't rough it might work.

The one on the right is gloss black Krylon spray paint. Works pretty well, I'll try a couple of coats of automotive clear on top.

I used a single edge razor blade on both, maybe a little early on the red one, some of the checkers pulled out, other than that the blade worked well, I'll go over the final product with an ex-acto to clean any flecks.
I wouldn't try to make any money at it at this time, much too labor intensive.
When I get a V8 one done the way I like I'll put it on my car where I think it will look nice, it's a surprise!

------------------

'85 Indy clone 4.9
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'89 Bonneville daily driver
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:
Still haven't recieved mine?! Whats going on??

I just got 2 NEW style silver Fiero GT badges in the mail?? I had already received my 1 silver and 1 gold?? L8R Bruno Mid Engine

I sent them to the wrong address. I sent yours out this morning, with a couple extra in gold as my way of saying sorry.

Originally posted by fastback 88:
Still nothing!!!!!

I'm an ass. When I went to put SOULCRUSHER's badges together, I saw yours on the work bench ready to go out. I did the same for you, I put three gold badges in the package and sent them out as well. I'm very sorry for the mix up.
PFF
System Bot
Maetrix66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Maetrix66Click Here to visit Maetrix66's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maetrix66Direct Link to This Post
I'd like a turbocharged one. let me know when you get enough orders and I'll send out the money.
fastback 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2007 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastback 88Send a Private Message to fastback 88Direct Link to This Post
I recieved mine yeterday ,I must say they are look GREAT!!!!!!!
Thanks Again!
DEMONCHILD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post
ok so what badges are available at this point and is cost the same still?

AAFO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AAFOClick Here to visit AAFO's HomePageSend a Private Message to AAFODirect Link to This Post
F-I-E-R-O

You have a PM

Thanks

------------------

Alamo Area Fiero Owners
San Antonio, Texas
All Fieros, All the Time

Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.. I am trying to find out what you have left in V8 badges and if the Choptop badge has been done.
Thanks,
Leroy
Bruno Mid Engine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2007 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bruno Mid EngineSend a Private Message to Bruno Mid EngineDirect Link to This Post
The Gold one -

The Silver one -

------------------
The Fiero, a testiment to unique AMERICAN Engineering

[This message has been edited by Bruno Mid Engine (edited 04-09-2007).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
bump to keep out of archives
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I put these on ebay to make it easier, and to build my rating. As far as what I have left, I have all the badges available. I'm pretty sure that I returned the question in a PM, but unlike my email, I can't check a "sent" folder.

I think I need to start a post in O/T asking if anyone knows a CNC person where I can get the billet version made at a reasonable price. I REALLY want to get the billet version made but feel incredibly guilty about the pricing- I guess that comes from seeing so many Chinese billet stuff sold for a lot less. Being realistic, they are in much greater quantities than what I would have made, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I know that there are others out there who would be more interested if I could get the price down.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

I put these on ebay to make it easier, and to build my rating. As far as what I have left, I have all the badges available. I'm pretty sure that I returned the question in a PM, but unlike my email, I can't check a "sent" folder.

I think I need to start a post in O/T asking if anyone knows a CNC person where I can get the billet version made at a reasonable price. I REALLY want to get the billet version made but feel incredibly guilty about the pricing- I guess that comes from seeing so many Chinese billet stuff sold for a lot less. Being realistic, they are in much greater quantities than what I would have made, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I know that there are others out there who would be more interested if I could get the price down.

I would be one of them. Especially if it's relatively the same size as stock, or at least uses the stock mounting holes. (don't feel like doing any more drilling into the bumper)
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2007 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Hi F-I-E-R-O (aka Andrew),

Just a friendly bump to keep out of the archives...

Did you get the Chotop ones done? Any updates?

Mine are still mounted where I showed in my build and pics. Love'em.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Funny this should pop back up. I've been working on the badges. One of the things that I like that I've tried is giving the raised part of the badges a brushed finish with the polished background which does a lot to bring out the design, as shown below...

This is something that you can do yourself if you're so inclined.
- I've been using 120 grit sand paper.
The tricky things are: not sanding too much, thereby wearing through to the brass, and the biggest issue is being careful not to scratch the highly polished background.

- If you use a nice new sheet of the paper, and hold it very flat (maybe the best thing to do would be to use some spray adhesive to attach to a smooth board)
The idea is to keep it as flat as possible without allowing it to have any opportunity to sneak to the polished background.

- Use nice smooth strokes to keep the grain of the "brushed" effect straight and perpendicular to the sides.
Because there are being brushed by hand, there may be some spots that require you to push down in the center or on a corner to get a nice even effect.

I've done a few of these, so I've managed to get pretty good at it. There are resilvering compounds out there that will fix any issues you might have with wear through if you get carried away.

The other thing that I've been working on is an easy and fool proof (no pun intended... well, maybe a little self deprecating humor...) method of coloring the badges. I have one that looks real good, but I'm not ready to show it yet, at least not until I get it perfected. So far though, it looks much better than I thought I could come up with. I'm starting to look for a source for that clear domed stuff to finish the badges off with. This will help to protect them and give 'em a more professional appearance.

Looking at the photos above, I think these might look goo with black enamel in the depressed FIERO area, red in the GT and leaving the Pegasus polished... then again... pretty much any paint that's sold in the major auto stores I'd be able to use on there, so there should be a fair amount of variety of colors available. The one problem I'm having is deciding on a standard red color that best represents the red in the Pontiac arrow.

I'm also still looking for a CNC person that I can work with, as well as someone who can do water jet cutting of bright aluminum. I like that vs stainless steel only because I thing it has a brighter chrome look to it and it can be cut a little thicker while keeping costs down. The idea for this is to make a really decent Pegasus that matches the original design but without the frame and font. I do have one other idea for making these that doesn't involve heavy machinery, I just need to work out the A+B+C+D=E....
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

F-I-E-R-O

8410 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by DrCPU:
Did you get the Chotop ones done? Any updates?
Dave

Dave,

I haven't gotten a Choptop one made up yet, though because it is what it is, and the number of badges would be fairly limited, I'm looking for someone as mentioned above to have them made without costing an arm and a leg.

Andrew
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2007 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post
F-I-E-R-O,

The ideal why to get your brushed look for the raised areas is in the electo-chrome plating process. Talk to your supplier / plater to have them do a buffing-sanding process after the copper layer has been added to the nameplate. After that, the nameplate goes back to the baths for the nickel and chromium layers. If your are still using the guy in Michigan, he should be able to do this. It is more expensive because of the extra handling and labor involved, but it gives you a nicer and more durable finish.

I am still waiting for my V8 Choptop badge. (J/K)............Jeff
HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
bump anything new on these?
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
This thread was a year and a half old!!! are you reallly serious right now
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock