Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Sorry but i gotta ask, whats the story with Archie and Cletus? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Sorry but i gotta ask, whats the story with Archie and Cletus? by kawana
Started on: 01-07-2008 02:44 AM
Replies: 174
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 01-15-2008 04:54 AM
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pacethis:
The thing is, it doesn't have to be the end of the story. So, the guy says he knew a guy that had a V8 in one...

So say to the guy, yeah - I know a couple of people that did that to...then discuss the pros/cons of each setup. I used to have a Northstar powered 86GT Fiero. I currently have a 3800SCS1. I prefer the current setup, it's more fun to drive. Does that mean I don't like V8's in Fieros...no! I think they're awesome...but so are the 3800SC ones, and there are more as well.

Archie has done wonders for the Fiero community, especially in regards to sparking interest and creativity. I personally don't think his conversions are the greatest, I looked at buying a car a few years ago that he'd done and didn't like the way the belt setup had to extend into the wheel well...but there are difficulties/imperfections associated with many setups.

In short, the guy doing the bashing is a loser. He needs to get a life.

ever see the movie Spinal Tap? it goes to 11. you can spout all your stats & truth all day long - dont matter. that one had a V8. it goes to 11. yours is cute - but that had a V8.
IP: Logged
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

ever see the movie Spinal Tap? it goes to 11. you can spout all your stats & truth all day long - dont matter. that one had a V8. it goes to 11. yours is cute - but that had a V8.

And I believe it's because of this so many V6 owners have a chip on their shoulder and feel like they have something to prove. There are lots of V6 swaps out there that are as fast or faster than some V8 swaps, but when you pop the decklid, you have to start explaining and showing time slips and trying to convince the guy your car is actually fast.

That has nothing to do with V8 owers. But many (not all) V6 owners feel they have to knock the V8 off some imaginary pedastle because they don't get the same ooohs and aaahs when they pop the decklid.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
And I believe it's because of this so many V6 owners have a chip on their shoulder and feel like they have something to prove. There are lots of V6 swaps out there that are as fast or faster than some V8 swaps, but when you pop the decklid, you have to start explaining and showing time slips and trying to convince the guy your car is actually fast.

That has nothing to do with V8 owers. But many (not all) V6 owners feel they have to knock the V8 off some imaginary pedastle because they don't get the same ooohs and aaahs when they pop the decklid.

EXACTLY. hence the V8 bashing. pure raw frustration. do all the work, all the planning, get it tuned, its fast, it kicks butt....and Joey Shlomo comes along - "I knew someone who had a 350 in HIS Fiero...." guys need other guys approval. its a very male attribute - just about all of us have this in one way or another. why we have those "what ya think of ___". why we have the shows. why we do what we do. (well, one of the reasons....)
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
The problem is the technology of today has shifted. My next door neighbor to my shop saw my V8 Fiero and my tech's turbo BMW and said to my tech, "it must be hard to keep up with the Fiero." We both laughed. His BMW runs 10.6 in the quarter mile. My Fiero would need a big shot of NOS and slicks to do that....but it could be done.
Back in th 1980's and 1990's to go fast you needed a V8. Turbo technology back then was very limited. Mustangs and Camaros were concidered fast. Now four cylinders with huge turbos are faster.
I build customer's cars and the one that go fast have big turbos. There are a few VW's out there running mid 9's with a four or six cylinder.
The bashing is just someone's lack of self esteem. Honestly, the fastest street cars out there depend on how much $$$$ the owner wants to spend. I'm sure the 3800 engines can run in the 9's, but it all comes down to $$$$$.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
You're exactly right. But in all fairness to the guy's comment about the BMW keeping up with the Fiero, your Fiero does look like it would be insanely fast with those Webers on it. That is one beautiful engine.

Back in '87 when I had my Grand National, no one believed they could be as fast as the hype. I ended up schooling a few muscle car owners - one Chevelle SS 396 owner, in particular. He gave me a heck of a run, though.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 01-08-2008).]

California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
One of the reasons you won't see many SBC Fiero's posting time slip under 12 seconds is a follows:

NHRA Rules for 11.00 to 11.99 Quarter Mile Cars as follows:

1. 5 Point 3 inch wide Seat Belts meeting SFI Spec 16.1

2. SFI Approved/Certified Roll Bar with more than 4 point mounting

3. SFI Approved/Certified Scatter Shield for Trans/Bellhousing

4. SFI Approved/Certified Flywheel and Clutch

5. Steel Valve Stems required in all wheels.

Most of us don't care that much about competeing in the quarter mile game, and this is part of the reason. I don't know how the people posting time slips under 12 seconds are getting away with not conforming to the rules above, but I don't think I've seen a "legal" class car in this category, posted on this site. Sure I could slap some slicks on my car and run faster, but it would immediately drop me into the category above, which I don't care to do.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Joey Shlomo comes along - "I knew someone who had a 350 in HIS Fiero...."

what's funny is i get that comment some times myself.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Joey Shlomo comes along - "I knew someone who had a 350 in HIS Fiero...

I get that as soon as I say I have a Fiero. They don’t even wait to hear what it is. There is always some friend of the families boy friends dogs groomer that had one. Its just the first thing that comes to mind when you want something fast. In 20 years it may be the V6 SC motor that will pop into everyone’s mind.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:
I guess I'll just have to live with that....oh pity me
Dave

Any chance of that happening disappeared when you posted pics of your wife.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

One of the reasons you won't see many SBC Fiero's posting time slip under 12 seconds is a follows:

That's a good point. The runs I've heard about are either at tracks that don't care, look the other way, or they kick you off the track after one run below 12.00.

My personal opinion is anyone posting a time slip should be able to pass tech for the time their car is running. It's safer, and it puts everyone on an even playing field.

I know other people don't want to do this, so it's not something I'd push, but that's just my 2 cents. I think it's dangerous trying to encourage people to ignore safety rules. We do this for fun - it's not worth the unnecessary risk just to get a time slip.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

1. 5 Point 3 inch wide Seat Belts meeting SFI Spec 16.1

2. SFI Approved/Certified Roll Bar with more than 4 point mounting

3. SFI Approved/Certified Scatter Shield for Trans/Bellhousing

4. SFI Approved/Certified Flywheel and Clutch

5. Steel Valve Stems required in all wheels.

Most of us don't care that much about competeing in the quarter mile game, and this is part of the reason. I don't know how the people posting time slips under 12 seconds are getting away with not conforming to the rules above, but I don't think I've seen a "legal" class car in this category, posted on this site. Sure I could slap some slicks on my car and run faster, but it would immediately drop me into the category above, which I don't care to do.

Well having run at Milan, you should have no problem running all the way down to 11.50.

http://www.milandragway.com/2007/rules.html

Helmet Snell 90 or Higher

11.50 - 13.49
Roll Bar or Roll Cage For Convertibles

I've run a 12.95 there along with 4 other Fieros that were running between 11.9 and 13.5 and no one even batted an eye. When you start running past 11.5, that's when I would imagine they start getting more serious. I was out with the Royal Pontiac Club and they rent the track once a month, all you can race. When April comes around, you should come out and see what you can do. The worst they can do is tell you that you can't run anymore because you went too fast, like that's a bad thing.

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs 12.95@106.1mph

PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

Well having run at Milan, you should have no problem running all the way down to 11.50.

http://www.milandragway.com/2007/rules.html

Helmet Snell 90 or Higher

11.50 - 13.49
Roll Bar or Roll Cage For Convertibles

I've run a 12.95 there along with 4 other Fieros that were running between 11.9 and 13.5 and no one even batted an eye. When you start running past 11.5, that's when I would imagine they start getting more serious. I was out with the Royal Pontiac Club and they rent the track once a month, all you can race. When April comes around, you should come out and see what you can do. The worst they can do is tell you that you can't run anymore because you went too fast, like that's a bad thing.

Actually different tracks do have different rules. One track by us will let you run down until 10.99 before they require many safety features.
What California Kid posted is what is at the official NHRA tracks. Not all tracks follow the NHRA guidelines.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Any chance of that happening disappeared when you posted pics of your wife.

lol...thanks
summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

What are the reasons SBC Fieros can't post dyno slips then?

[This message has been edited by summerjim (edited 01-08-2008).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by summerjim:

Don't have one and don't feel I need one. The car is fun to drive and does exactly what I want it to do.
Some of us don't care about dyno slips but its getting old hearing the same thing over and over. I will never post a dyno slip on here, my 2.8 was fun to drive and I didn't need a dyno slip to make it fun. I have never came on here and said my car was better than anyone else's, but I have tried to share the fun I have had with it.

The person that owned my SBC and had all of the work done to it said the builder estimates the HP at around 350 at the crank, thats ported and polished heads, bored 60 over (he did state he was unsure about the boar but was pretty sure it was 60) It has an after market cam but he couldn't find the paper work for it. But even if it was just a stock crate SBC with a 4 bbl it would still be a blast to drive with twice the stock HP. I have posted all of the above information before because I was told it in good faith, I don't feel I need a dyno sheet to tell me what the car can do. Its a lot of fun to drive and its been fun to work on, I just wanted to share my fun.

I don't see where posting a dyno sheet would be anything but a target for more trolls asking why it didn't do better.

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Call them what you want, but when someone has nothing better to do the search the Internet for anything V8 and Fiero just to bash it I call that a troll.
We all have our favorite swap for what ever reason, why do people feel the need to bash someone else's. Its old and immature, asking them to stop has done nothing and only resulted in my removal of the youtube videos of my car.
I don't care for the pollution, there are more important things in life.
summerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

Don't have one and don't feel I need one. The car is fun to drive and does exactly what I want it to do.
Some of us don't care about dyno slips but its getting old hearing the same thing over and over. I will never post a dyno slip on here, my 2.8 was fun to drive and I didn't need a dyno slip to make it fun. I have never came on here and said my car was better than anyone else's, but I have tried to share the fun I have had with it.

Any Fiero with extensive modifications can be fun to drive; there's no debate on that point. I think a 2.5 Fiero can be fun to drive, so obviously a Fiero with mods is probably even more so. That's fact and I agree with it. What I don't agree with is making claims about a car that you can't substantiate with evidence. You won't see me posting that my Fiero with 2.8 has 135 (or 140) horsepower. And you won't see me making horsepower claims about my 3800 supercharged Fiero either. I haven't run it at a track, haven't dynoed it, and can only GUESS as to the horsepower.

If you don't want to hear criticism about dynos and track times, then don't make bogus claims about what you've got. Simple as that.

The person that owned my SBC and had all of the work done to it said the builder estimates the HP at around 350 at the crank, thats ported and polished heads, bored 60 over (he did state he was unsure about the boar but was pretty sure it was 60) It has an after market cam but he couldn't find the paper work for it. But even if it was just a stock crate SBC with a 4 bbl it would still be a blast to drive with twice the stock HP. I have posted all of the above information before because I was told it in good faith, I don't feel I need a dyno sheet to tell me what the car can do. Its a lot of fun to drive and its been fun to work on, I just wanted to share my fun.

It's great that it's fun to drive, but unless you have evidence of the horsepower produced by the engine, you're misrepresenting it. Just in the same way that I can claim my car has 600 horsepower out of a 3800 supercharged. I won't make that claim because I don't know the real answer. Just because an engine builder tells you it has 350 horsepower, doesn't mean it stand up to it. If you choose to believe everything you hear in life, then you're in for some rude awakenings. Just like the type that many V8 owners have had once they dyno their car and find the horsepower is no where near what was estimated.

If you just post the modifications done to the car and don't put any times or horsepower claims, you will never see me make any comments about it. Stick to the facts and everyone's happy. It's when owners claim something like "350/400" and don't provide any proof, we all can come to the conclusion it's a BS claim. There's enough history of this being true that it's a safe assumption at this point.

I don't see where posting a dyno sheet would be anything but a target for more trolls asking why it didn't do better.

The real target is posting claims you can't back up. I'd be happy to point you to threads where the numbers were lower than expected but credit was given for making the effort to substantiate the claims.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I took my hp rating off my sig because it's really none of your business what I'm turning....and when it was posted I listed it 2hp LESS than it made on the dyno. They're just numbers. A lot has to do with the driver, as well. When I run my turbo VR6 at the track, I'll be putting it up for a "no time". If you want to find out what it does, put some money up and we'll run straight up.
Geesh, I got into Fieros to get away from the "bigger thing contest."
I just enjoy building mid engined cars that are fun to drive.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-08-2008).]

summerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

I took my hp rating off my sig because it's really none of your business what I'm turning. When I run my turbo VR6 at the track, I'll be putting it up for a "no time". If you want to find out what it does, put some money up and we'll run straight up.
Geesh, I got into Fieros to get away from the "bigger thing contest."

Exactly my point, Dave. I'm not interested in the "mine's bigger than yours" game. Posting artificial (or estimated) numbers is that very game and why I don't believe in posting numbers unless you've actually run the tests to back it up.

A little friendly competition is always good to get the emotions rolling. If you choose not to publicize your numbers, that's your right. Just like I won't ask you how big your tool is, I won't ask you what it puts out for horsepower or time either. I think that's all that any one is asking for here: don't make claims you can't back up.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Dyno's are subjective testing, and not all dyno's give you the same numbers, there is also an issue of correct calibration, and when it was last performed. The only way you positively know if you have more horse power than someone else is the run on the same dyno right after the other car is run.

As said many times on this Forum, when you have a car running 12's without all the "Drag Goodies", you certainly don't feel the need to visit the Quarter Mile Track, or pay a visit to the Dyno Shop if you know you have a pretty good tune to start with.

The same holds true for time slips, you can't compare who's fastest by comparing slips here on the forum, unless there from same track, same conditions, same day run. Doesn't matter what you post, someone's not going to believe it, and tries to make a big deal out of it, especially if it's better than what he or she has accomplished with their car. Welcome to the internet, where some people just like to stir things up. If you don't believe someone, that's fine, then post "Nice car, but I don't believe your claim." and let it go.
summerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

Dyno's are subjective testing, and not all dyno's give you the same numbers, there is also an issue of correct calibration, and when it was last performed. The only way you positively know if you have more horse power than someone else is the run on the same dyno right after the other car is run.

As said many times on this Forum, when you have a car running 12's without all the "Drag Goodies", you certainly don't feel the need to visit the Quarter Mile Track, or pay a visit to the Dyno Shop if you know you have a pretty good tune to start with.

The same holds true for time slips, you can't compare who's fastest by comparing slips here on the forum, unless there from same track, same conditions, same day run. Doesn't matter what you post, someone's not going to believe it, and tries to make a big deal out of it, especially if it's better than what he or she has accomplished with their car. Welcome to the internet, where some people just like to stir things up. If you don't believe someone, that's fine, then post "Nice car, but I don't believe your claim." and let it go.

There won't be nearly as big of a deal made if real numbers are posted instead of phony claims. I'm not arguing that you have to post numbers, just saying that if you don't want the questions, attention or criticism, then don't post anything. Shouldn't have to say "nice car, but I don't believe your claim".
summerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

summerjim

745 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Dyno's are subjective testing

Far less subjective than making guesses though. If you provided dyno results of 340hp instead of 350hp, I'd be happy to cut you some slack. Even if you posted 325hp, I'd cut you some slack on that too. But this isn't the point. Seems you can't see the forest through the trees on this one.

PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I think mine has like ... a thousand horspower, or something like that.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

Pffft if yours has that then mine must have two thousand. I know because my air filter is bigger.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

I was going to take you up on that trade:
"OK - I'll do you a favor, Ed. I'll trade my V8 Fino for your V6 Fino."

But not now after hearing you only have ONE thousand horspower I would be losing over 600 HP in the trade.

No way.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 01-08-2008).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
we all have had a coversation with that one twit who is running a beat up POS grocery getter who claims unbelieveable numbers and who makes nothing but excuses when you say ok lets go....the proof is in the pudding...put up or shut up if you like..or smile and walk away...its your car as long as your happy isnt that all that really matters???? just a thought...tim
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but your car will still be an ugly color, Ed.

(I can say that because Ed and I built our cars, his Fino and our Finale, the same time, without collaborating on the color and when we showed up and met at the 20th for the first time, our cars had nearly identical paint.)

BTW, I think the 4.9 sounds as good as a SBC and I've never had anyone compare it to a SBC at shows. They just look in and say "man, that thing looks like it belongs there". To me, that's the ultimate compliment. (But it will never have the power potential of a SBC)

John Stricker

Originally posted by Fino:

How true .......HOW TRUE!!! Right or wrong .....it .....is .......TRUE.

I do like the *&^%&* SOUND of a SBC.
Ed

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
That twit has now taken to spamming any all Youtube videos involving a Fiero he doesn't like. Luckily the delete key is still in effect.

nfswift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nfswiftSend a Private Message to nfswiftDirect Link to This Post
I'm a V6 man when it comes to Fieros and always will be, but I know my fair share about SBCs, and when I hear a swapper claim 350hp etc I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt, half of them are just happy optimistic guys that are ecstatic that they got such a great engine shoe-horned into their car, why should I %*( all over them for that? Those hp numbers are made every 30 seconds by some builder somewhere, so it's not like its unrealistic, so I just decide not make a big fuss about every little thing on a forum...

If they are a cocky SOB and are bragging and throwing down challenges about it, it means I'll just be happy in the knowledge that John Smith with his stage 1 mopar'd SRT-4 will be walking this guys "killer Fiero" all day long, but that doesn't mean every swapper is gonna be that aggravating.

I guess I'm just part of that crowd that doesn't believe specifics are that important unless you are a die hard track racer... everybody keeps forgetting, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A CAR FASTER THAN YOURS... so just enjoy yours and get along with the great crowd of tinkerers that enjoy Fieros too! You'll get WAY more out of socializing that way instead of compulsive comparing and competing.

[This message has been edited by nfswift (edited 01-09-2008).]

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Pick up any car magazine and what is one of the most common stats you see inside the mag besides the color of the car, style of rims and the type of engine? It's not only HP numbers but 0-60 numbers. And how do you get 0-60 and/or HP numbers?
It seems from every past thread on this subject that most of the Fiero owners on here who swap engines, especially the V8 owners, suddenly have all kinds of excuses as to why they don't feel the need to get verifiable 0-60 numbers or even have the car on a dyno.
There is a difference between reasons and excuses. A reason you don't know your 0-60 or HP or choose not to know is that maybe you are not near a track or near a place that dyno's. Maybe as Jake said, you simply love the car and don't need to or care about numbers. I will be the first to say no problem, thats fine... if thats where it ends. After all, it is your car.
What makes this so interesting and going beyond just reasons to excuses is the fact that most of these owners don't leave it at that, as they then at some point talk up and rave on how great getting a V8 swap is. They talk about how better the performance is and how better the HP is. Thats great, and if that is the case then please tell us how much better the HP really is. HP and 0-60 after all can both be measured and verified right?
I remember mentioning a few years back on here that a few of my Fieros seemed faster than stock, but as they were pretty much stock it was logical for everyone to assume that since they were stock they had to have stock numbers. When I still felt they were faster I got skewered when I had no actual verifiable data to actually back up my "feeling".
Some of those same people who jumped on me back then have since made interesting claims about their own Fieros after having an engine swap and yet have provided no verifiable proof whats so ever.

I own a few Fieros and over the years I have always considered getting an engine swap in one of them. But I like to know as much as possible about anything I am going to spend money on. I want to know if I am getting the best bang for my buck as anyone does.
If I am buying a 4 banger Fiero, I already know what the 0-60 and HP specs are. Same with my V6 Fieros.
But if I want to consider a V8 swap, I want to know the specs, all the specs. But to do that I want to know some information.
I want to know what the numbers are going to be. For car lovers, cars with sporty engines and HP go together like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition and hot sexy babes.
Think of it this way, if you were looking to buy an air conditioner and wanted to know the different specs on each model based on your room size you wanted to cool, I bet you would think the salesperson was a total idiot if they said to you, "some of us don't care about BTU numbers".
For me at least, I want to know the BTU numbers since every air conditioner has a cooling capacity number ranging from 5,000 to 18,000 BTUs. The higher the BTU value, the stronger the air conditioner. Sound familiar?
If you walk into a car dealership looking to buy a sports car, what is one of the things most people want to know?
True, most people when looking to buy a car can do most of the research like looking up specs, 0-60, HP numbers, etc before even stepping one foot onto a car lot. But in the case of engine swapped Fieros, that is obviously a much more difficult thing to try and do.
I guess I would ask, would the HP numbers on a SBC engine stay the same after installed into a Fiero?

I will be the first to admit that at a car show or even just showing off to friends, seeing a well installed V8 in a Fiero looks very cool which is one of the reasons I am interested myself. It also gives the car a great rumbling sound which is hard to match with a lesser engine. But we all know that how a car looks and how it sounds can be very subjective. Saying your car is faster than or has better performance than should be more than subjective and can be easily proven as summerjim stated.
Now, I am not supporting anyone who trolls forums or youtube videos slamming others, I am only questioning the odd mentality that numbers are not important. If your buying a bicycle or a skate board.. no problem. When talking about cars and performance engine swaps, think again.
I have owned quite a few cars in my years and even recently purchased a low mileage 2001 Mustang convertible. Now I looked at a lot of Mustangs before choosing my rare yellow GT and one of the determining factors on the one I purchased was model (ie: engine) and knowing what it's performance (ie: 0-60, HP, etc) is.
To hear a car lover say "Some of us don't care about HP" is about as an odd a comment as hearing a guy say, "Some of us don't care about money". I guarantee you that anyone that hears that, their first thought is..."WTF?"
Of course this all just my personal opinion and observation.

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 01-09-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
This cletus guy and I don’t mean Archie; I wouldn’t call Archie that even if I were Pizzed at him. All this thread is doing is FEEDING his ego he doesn’t care if the attention is good or bad he doesn’t know the difference. This is just like kindling wood, fast and hot not like hard wood that is long lasting. I think since he is only .00001% of people that are just negative out there the best thing to do is just ignore him and don’t give him ANY attention at all. It is easer to “Block User” and “Remove” on utube that it is to type all that negative stuff cletus is saying. I see he has lots of aliases and I am not going to type any of them in on the thread so he knows whom I am talking about. If everyone keeps their Fiero V8 utube videos on the Internet and removes him he will finally pout and go away.

Don't write about him in a thread.
I say quit feeding the baby.

Ed
Oreif

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Far less subjective than making guesses though. If you provided dyno results of 340hp instead of 350hp, I'd be happy to cut you some slack. Even if you posted 325hp, I'd cut you some slack on that too. But this isn't the point. Seems you can't see the forest through the trees on this one.

Actually that is not true. The mustang dyno and the dyno-jet use two different method's to read the power. The mustang always reads lower and there have been many, many arguments as to which dyno is the more accurate. Not to mention what gear you use in the dyno run and how they set the cal factors can have a huge impact as well. The most accurate is an engine dyno. It's just not practical to remove your engine to have it dyno'd then re-install it.

I have not run on a mustang dyno, But on a dyno-jet I ran 309 rwhp and the engine is rated at 355 hp, that makes it about a 12-13% driveline loss. Since my car runs 12.3 in the 1/4 mile, and based on the vehicles weight, I think the dyno-jet is more accurate. (my opinion) Others may disagree. But then again does it really matter? The engine is rated at 355hp by GM, If I say I have 355hp and if I did not dyno it, would that be misleading?
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
My 0-60 times are like... 2.4 seconds or somethin' like that.

I guess that ensures you won't trade, Ed, because I know you do it in like 1.9 or somethin'

I love the SBC sound, too, but after that incredible ride in Lildevil's car, I love them both equally!
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
It stands to reason that the choice of a particular engine used in a swap is largely dependant on your driving style and performance needs/desires. For me, the 3800 SC would be sufficient but for others the V8 SBC, 4.9 or a Northstar is what makes them salivate. Whatever you have under your hood, if it's what you want, it's what you want and that should be the end of it.

I live in Archie's old stompin' ground (SW Michigan) and have had people who have never even ridden in a Fiero mention his name to me. Love him or hate him, the man's a legend in Fiero circles and IMHO deserves his props.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

My 0-60 times are like... 2.4 seconds or somethin' like that.

I guess that ensures you won't trade, Ed, because I know you do it in like 1.9 or somethin'

I love the SBC sound, too, but after that incredible ride in Lildevil's car, I love them both equally!

He who lies last lies best.
Ed
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

All I care about is if the owners are having fun.

Originally posted by nfswift:
it's all the same goal, to improve the car, and everybody has their own way of approaching it weather it's tame or drastic. I don't see why more people can't understand that.

I have never came on here and said my car was better than anyone else's, but I have tried to share the fun I have had with it.

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:
...its your car as long as your happy isnt that all that really matters???? just a thought...tim

Originally posted by Fiero5:
Maybe as Jake said, you simply love the car and don't need to or care about numbers. I will be the first to say no problem, thats fine... if thats where it ends. After all, it is your car.

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:
Whatever you have under your hood, if it's what you want, it's what you want and that should be the end of it.

I see a recurring theme here. One of society's failures can't mess up the fun we are having.
Newbfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post

Pffft if yours has that then mine must have two thousand. I know because my air filter is bigger.

Happy to see there more poeple out there that running as much as my Duke is running lol

Edit forgot to add I was jk But some of you must of known that by now huh

[This message has been edited by Newbfiero (edited 01-09-2008).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Newbfiero:

Happy to see there more poeple out there that running as much as my Duke is running lol

Did you use this?
http://kalecoauto.com/index..._info&products_id=41
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

Pick up any car magazine and what is one of the most common stats you see inside the mag besides the color of the car, style of rims and the type of engine? It's not only HP numbers but 0-60 numbers. And how do you get 0-60 and/or HP numbers?
It seems from every past thread on this subject that most of the Fiero owners on here who swap engines, especially the V8 owners, suddenly have all kinds of excuses as to why they don't feel the need to get verifiable 0-60 numbers or even have the car on a dyno.

proper tuning of a motor REQUIRES a dyno run.
and, a decent dyno shop can generate a reasonable set of 0-60, 1/8 & 1/4 mile numbers. dragstrip numbers can vary wildly. I am sure I would NEVER be able to attain the numbers a "good" drag guy could with the same car.

but - anyways - what this says is: if they dont have a dyno slip - they are not done yet. or - its just a crate swap, and their power is anywhere between the rated power to 30% below that. or even lower - if they cannot manage to provide decent intake & exhaust systems to the crate motor - which is implied for MOST Fiero V8 setups.

has anyone managed to put a reasonable exhaust system on a SBC Fiero? most crate motors rated power has an assumption of decent exhaust manifolds.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

But is it orange, blue or yellow?
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

but - anyways - what this says is: if they dont have a dyno slip - they are not done yet. or - its just a crate swap, and their power is anywhere between the rated power to 30% below that. or even lower - if they cannot manage to provide decent intake & exhaust systems to the crate motor - which is implied for MOST Fiero V8 setups.

I get the feeling that some members seem to think that some actually do have dyno slips but now don't seem to want to admit it and show them for whatever reasons.

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 01-09-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock