New dash this weekend :) by pacethis
Started on: 02-24-2007 08:37 PM
Replies: 124
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 05-15-2008 12:03 PM
pacethis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few more pics...but make sure the check out the ones in the previous post as they're the dash pics

IP: Logged
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
That looks really good, however if it were me; instead of trying to reuse the dated fiero cluster, I think I would purchase aftermarket gauges. I don't know if Dakota Digital makes a custom fit digital dash or not, but if they don't you could always go with Autometer analog gauges. I would think it would look a lot cleaner and more custom.
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

That looks really good, however if it were me; instead of trying to reuse the dated fiero cluster, I think I would purchase aftermarket gauges. I don't know if Dakota Digital makes a custom fit digital dash or not, but if they don't you could always go with Autometer analog gauges. I would think it would look a lot cleaner and more custom.

Yes, that was one of the things I had talked about in the post I lost...

There's no way I'll use the Fiero gauge cluster...

My options:
early C4 Digital Cluster

94 Camaro Cluster
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Or any number of aftermarket gauges from Autometer, VDO, etc? I'm having a tremendously difficult time making a decision here...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

That looks really good, however if it were me; instead of trying to reuse the dated fiero cluster, I think I would purchase aftermarket gauges.

I agree...the Fiero cluster is easily the most dated thing about our cars. I would use just about anything other than the stock Fiero guages. There are too many other nice options out there. the Camaro cluster looks nice. The later Camaro cluster looks virtually identical to the Firebird. Just stay below 1997 to avoid any electrical problems.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
What year are you planning on using the cluster from (Corvette) - I can probably dig up a diagram and let know if it will work
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

What year are you planning on using the cluster from (Corvette) - I can probably dig up a diagram and let know if it will work

I'm interested to see the diagram for the early C4 cluster, I think it ran from 84 to about 89 or 90.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-27-2007).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pacethis:

Unless of course someone has made the LS motors fit better than the other 350 motors I've seen, which required pulleys wrapped into the wheel well area...

my 350 (355ci) small block fit just fine,

------------------
AIM:Onefast2M8
03 Xtreme 4.3 5 speed
02 Jetta 1.8t

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

The cluster I'm currently looking at is from an 86, though they one shown was made for 84-89 Model years... I'd be much appreciative if you can find out if it would work...I don't know much about them, but have just been looking at older clusters to increase my chances of getting a compatible one...
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here is the 86 cluster diagram - looks like it should work:

NOTE: this is for 86 only - the clusters pinout/wiring are different for the different years. So this is NOT one that fits all. There are also physical electronic differences between the years as well.

I always liked the C4 clusters - but be careful, if you can see any of the segments that are not suppose to be on, the LCD display (glass part only) is no good and needs to be replaced (the common term that is used for this problem is 'sunburnt display'). Quick test (with no power), shine a flashlight through the back where the bulbs are (remove the bulbs and shine the light through the hole), if any segments light up then it has the problem (usually a bunch will 'light' up). These people sells new lens: http://instrumentclusters.com/corvette.html

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 03-29-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Ok, here is the 86 cluster diagram - looks like it should work:

Hey Tim,

Do you have the drawing for an 89 Corvette Cluster?

I know there are subtle differences such that they don't officially interchange for all years 84-89, but I bet they are close.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Hey Tim,

Do you have the drawing for an 89 Corvette Cluster?

I know there are subtle differences such that they don't officially interchange for all years 84-89, but I bet they are close.

89 cluster:

It's been some time since I worked on one if these so I forget the exact years where the differences are. I 'think' the 84 is all alone, and then there are 2 more groups - but where the split is I don't recall off hand. Anyways, there is the 89 diagram just in case it is one of the cross over years.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Tim,

People talk about all Fiero gauges as being interchangeable, but we know of course there are sublte differences between the years...

built-in cruise (84), volt meter in tach (84), oil pressure in tach (85-88), back lit (85-88), side lit (86-88), etc. On paper very few of the gauges interchange, but they work reasonably well.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I have a great idea for you: Since the Corvette dash looks kind of "cheap" and plastic-y IMHO, I found some inspiration to make it look very classy, yet sporty.

Interior shot (sorry about the 100k+, but it's the only pic I found so far)

Some shots of what he rest of the car looks like (for completeness sake/inspiration)

I first saw that car at the Monterey Car Auction where I got a chance to talk to company reps. It's a coachbuilder that builds "retro" looking sportsters based on the C6 Corvette drivetrain (and I guess interior). In person one has a hard time recognizing it as a Corvette interior, unless one is familliar with C6 Corvettes.
Their website is: http://www.anterosmarketing.com/

I hope those design cues help you with inspiration for your interior.

-M

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 04-11-2007).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Now that is one sexy car!
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
That is a great looking car! I also love what they've done to the interior. The C5 interior is cheap and plasticy...but so much better than the Fiero interior. Actually, if you want supercar refinement, it's as close as www.caravaggio.com. John Caravaggio does reupholstery of all the C5 items in leather, albeit at around $10-12k for an entire interior.

Here are a few update photos!

I'm getting ready to rip it all out, and make the final adjustments/cuts on new interior pieces. The ones I used for the mockup will go on eBay to recoup some costs. I just couldn't bear to make markings/adjustments on the expensive ones!

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

pacethis

510 posts
Member since Jun 2005
Also, thanks to everyone for their instrument cluster help. I've decided to go aftermarket with Nordskog Performance Gauges. I'm buying their "create-a-dash" kit, and will install them in the Corvette cluster bezel. Here's a similar cluster:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Here are a few update photos!

whereatt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by whereatt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Looks great by the way.

So let me get this straight... You have another pristine Corvette Dash that you intend to modify and install in your Fiero and this dash is on eBay right now for sale?
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Jon .. yep, starting bid $500.

pace - when you install your gauges, be sure to include the "Check Engine" light. Not only is it a good idea, but is also required in some states for smogging. California-based Nordskog usually does NOT include this in their dashes (although the light IS REQUIRED in california for snogging ! )
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2007 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

So let me get this straight... You have another pristine Corvette Dash that you intend to modify and install in your Fiero and this dash is on eBay right now for sale?

Yes, all correct. When I started the project, I didn't want to cut up a perfectly good Corvette dash, even though I had one laying around. My main business is retrofitting HUD kits in early C5's, so I deal with the dashes often.

So instead, I used a part that had some scratches from a windshield. Once I installed it far enough to be satisfied that it would look awesome, I'm ready to start stage II by using the mint dashpad.

In the end, I cut off much of the area that bothered me anyway as I cut off more than half the back of the dashpad anyway. That combined with the closeness to the windshield makes this useable...but I want perfect. So, I'm putting the entire setup on eBay for about what I have in it, not counting my time in cutting/custom fitting. It should make someone a nice dash project...much of the work is already done.

And...it should be easier the 2nd go around for me as I know exactly where to cut it to get it in. I'm really quite excited about finishing it up...but time is limited (exams this week and next). I've also been finishing my other project (a 97 Corvette coupe, which is now a convertible) which takes up time as well...

PFF
System Bot
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Jon .. yep, starting bid $500.

pace - when you install your gauges, be sure to include the "Check Engine" light. Not only is it a good idea, but is also required in some states for smogging. California-based Nordskog usually does NOT include this in their dashes (although the light IS REQUIRED in california for snogging ! )

I'll see what I can come up with...I really like the nordskog guages, and he gave me a special price. That combined with the fact that I can install them in the Corvette bezel with minimum modification makes them very attractive. I'll have to take a look at the wiring, are all the little lights controlled by separate wires, or by the actual circuitry of the cluster? Maybe I can make something work...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Your first dash is a great deal for someone looking to install a custom dash.

I would consider it, but I have invested too much time, money and harware in the Firebird dash to start over. Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished product.

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

Your first dash is a great deal for someone looking to install a custom dash.

I would consider it, but I have invested too much time, money and harware in the Firebird dash to start over. Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished product.

I can understand that!

It would be a better deal, but the supporting trim for it adds up in $$ quickly. If someone here just wanted the dash shell itself, I'd sell it for $150 plus shipping. It would however, easily cost the difference to get the rest of the parts eventually.

Josh
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Yeah the Corvette trim parts are not cheap. In fact anything associated with Corvette is not cheap. The advantage to the F-body is that they made the 4th gen from 93 to 2002 largely unchanged and they are showing up in larger numbers in the junk yard.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nice dash especially if a person has a Corvette LS1/2 engine. Any close-ups of the area near the widsheild?

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

Red97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red97Send a Private Message to Red97Direct Link to This Post
EDIT: never mind i see im to late with the e-bay link

[This message has been edited by Red97 (edited 04-29-2007).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

...they are showing up in larger numbers in the junk yard.

...I wish this was true around me...I had to piece together so many different parts...

Looks like the Vette console is a nicer fit than the f-body one
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

...I wish this was true around me...I had to piece together so many different parts...

Looks like the Vette console is a nicer fit than the f-body one

It's much closer than I'd even hoped for. It's so close of a fit that I could drive around without ever securing it down...it's snug with a friction fit on the carpet...

In fact, I currently have 3 screws holding the entire dash/console in/together.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
wow, i just came across this. amazing. i was going to try this on my fiero. 94-96 c4 dash n gauges too. in my c4 i was going to do a c5 dash n gauges as i had the gauges and hud
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2007 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Shhhheeeezzzzzz, does this mean I should stop my Firebird install & go with the Vette????

I will never be done!

Outstanding job!

John
PFF
System Bot
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Any updates? I am keeping an eye on this thread. I am looking for a dash as I write this.

Don Z.

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 08-20-2007).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Yeah it doesn't look good for a mechanical plug and play solution like the Firebird. I didn't even see a tach signal.

If you could get one of the real smart guys like Riceburner98 he might be able to design an interface. Otherwise you probably want to put in aftermarket gauges in the housing like you stated earlier.

LOL! Funny that this thread popped up again, and hasn't been posted in by someone in particular... I've talked with someone who's going to do the C5 dash and wants to get the gauges working, so he's going to send me a C5 cluster so I can make an adapter board for it... Wish I had seen the post back in February when the above quoted text came up. It may not be easy, but I'll get it working. Pretty sure I'm *not* going to be able to duplicate the serial data stream coming from all the computer modules, so what I'll do is make a driver board that basically bypasses the stock circuitry on the cluster, and drives the gauge movements directly. It will interpret the Fiero signals, then do some calculations and drive the needles. The downside is, the cool Vacuum Flourescent display on the bottom of the cluster that shows trouble codes and other info won't work. I think that's where the Odometer appears too, so it will likely be replaced by an LED cluster for an Odometer. Or if I get real fancy I'll get that stock Flourescent display working as the Odometer. Time will tell....... Like I need another project. LOL Oh yeah - Mickey_Moose - is there any chance of posting any diagrams of the '99 cluster? I believe that's what I'll be working with... Anything would help!

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap, it works now!!!

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 08-21-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

I've talked with someone who's going to do the C5 dash and wants to get the gauges working, so he's going to send me a C5 cluster so I can make an adapter board for it...

It may not be easy, but I'll get it working.

See, I knew you could do it.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

Oh yeah - Mickey_Moose - is there any chance of posting any diagrams of the '99 cluster? I believe that's what I'll be working with... Anything would help!

...yea, right after you finish the Firebird switch for me

...anyways, here is the 99 Vette cluster diagram:
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys...this thread came back from the dead

The dash has been replaced with another now, better condition than the first, slightly better fitment. Carpets are done, old red/black seats ripped out, replaced with Fiero seats (Mr. Mikes leather). Right now, my holdup is gauges, I've got JScott1 working on them as we speak. After I get them back, it'll give me a kick to finish up the interior and post some more photos.

Of course, if someone gets the C5 gauges working in any form, I'd love to get them and install them at a later date. I ended up settling for Camaro guages at this point in time as I didn't have the skill or contacts to get the C5 gauges working.

As with many of the cars destined for greatness on this forum, the projects take time, but I'll be sure to update as things progress. Right now, I've got the fastback body mostly in place
pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

pacethis

510 posts
Member since Jun 2005
Oh, btw, I really think this will be a popular interior mod once I'm done with this one...it's not terribly expensive, but the best part is how nicely it all fits together in the interior
Mr.Chipps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.ChippsSend a Private Message to Mr.ChippsDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking dash mod.

How about a photo of where the new dash meets the window and what was required there?

Thanks
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Right now, my holdup is gauges, I've got JScott1 working on them as we speak. After I get them back, it'll give me a kick to finish up the interior and post some more photos.

Okay, now that you let the cat out the bag...(you were anonymous in the other thread) But the part I'm waiting for should arrive today. I'll ship as soon as it gets here.

They will look good in that dash:

This dash looks really nice, nicer than the Firebird, but for most of us without access to inexpensive Corvette parts maybe a bit more expensive.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-21-2007).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Is this photo of the Corvette gauges, or the Camero set?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock