Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Emc209i's 88 Formula 3.4DOHC Build! (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
Emc209i's 88 Formula 3.4DOHC Build! by Emc209i
Started on: 12-27-2006 05:22 PM
Replies: 239
Last post by: Emc209i on 08-22-2008 01:45 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

________
(Until the Cayman came out in that color, I never paid attention to Porsche, but that car just seems "right". Until somebody else decides to build affordable mid-engined cars, the Cayman might be the only new car to carry the mid-engined daily driver legacy. Too bad they're pricey though. )

It's basically a coupe version of the Boxster. Get one of those used for much less. And the base models, while down on power, are also down on price.
IP: Logged
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Or... Screw Porsche all together and go straight to Ferrari/Lamborghini.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I don't know if you've made up your mind already for paint color, but I'd like to suggest another one. (I like most of the above colors too. - I'm a huge fan of blue. )

The picture doesn't show the Cayman color off very well. It's a bit darker, and has purple hues in the right light. I drive by a Porsche dealership every day, and the blue Cayman's are such a tease!!!

________
(Until the Cayman came out in that color, I never paid attention to Porsche, but that car just seems "right". Until somebody else decides to build affordable mid-engined cars, the Cayman might be the only new car to carry the mid-engined daily driver legacy. Too bad they're pricey though. )

Thanks for the color recommendation. I'm going to be driving up to the Ferrari dealership sometime soon to get a first person look over at Tour De France. I'll keep this in mind though.
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It's basically a coupe version of the Boxster. Get one of those used for much less. And the base models, while down on power, are also down on price.

Better engine on the Cayman and stiffer body than the Boxter. Doesn't look as feminine either. With a LSD it runs circles around the 911. As it is They're about 20 seconds apart on the 'ring. (waay beyond my driving ability to ever get anywhere near that. I'm also a huge fan of the fastback shape, with the "hips" in the back, and taillights angled like a notchie for smoother flow of the lines.

According to the salesperson they moved the engine about 2 inches forward in the Cayman, so it's a true midengine as opposed to the Boxter, which is a "barely mid-engine". I tend to take anything a saleperson says with a grain of sand though. Especially since I've yet to see a Boxter/Cayman engine.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Thanks for the color recommendation. I'm going to be driving up to the Ferrari dealership sometime soon to get a first person look over at Tour De France. I'll keep this in mind though.

If you like lighter colors, Electric Blue would be another option. I just don't know how a lighter color would look on the more boxy (hard angles) shape of a Fiero.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2008 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I have just about every blue known to mankind on a list at school. Here's a good example of electron blue on a GT: http://www.2bluesc.com/view...dir=Done%2F06+Spring
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

HI all

Be sure to let us, well me, , know what this color looks like in person!!! Could you take pics too?? This is the color i'd like to use someday.......

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Fixed the VSS and knock sensor circuits.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 05-28-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-28-2008 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Keeping this out of the archives a bit longer.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Paul, you had said that you were lookin at TDF blue, check out the thread below! A thread of pics of the ferrari 355, but the last page has AWEsome pix of tdf blue......... GOD, if ya love blue's, then your gonna like the contrasting color changes of this color! When the time comes, this color is at the front of the line for any future car o' mine......... Mmmmmmm, sweeeet bluuuuee, of mine........

http://www.ferrarichat.com/....php?t=35575&page=15

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Wonderful link! Thanks for stopping by to let me know!

You saw my other post there? http://www.ferrarichat.com/...93&highlight=Emc209i
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
You could possibly try a high end dealership about the paint code. I'm sure they have the ability or a contact to do bodywork for exotic cars. Just be sure not to show up in a multi-colored fiero and to wear a suit. They at least could give you a lead.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Nope, jus saw your thread for the first time today.....THOUGH, I have to admit the way you described the color is fantastic! It's flashy meets mischevious..........

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

You could possibly try a high end dealership about the paint code. I'm sure they have the ability or a contact to do bodywork for exotic cars. Just be sure not to show up in a multi-colored fiero and to wear a suit. They at least could give you a lead.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I already have everything I would have needed. Truth be told, I'm going in another direction. See below.

Tri-stage paint costs $700 for a gallon of base. I've been saving my pennies.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Nice color!! Reminds me of Rossa Barchetta... Esp., in the shade.......

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I must say, you're well read up!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Are you painting it yourself?
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2008 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Not to be confused with painting myself.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 06-05-2008).]

Younggun88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2008 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Younggun88Send a Private Message to Younggun88Direct Link to This Post
my dad owned a vette just like that great color very classy.♦
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
It's been a favorite of mine since 1998, the year I bought NFS: High Stakes.

I finally got a glimpse of a TDF Ferrari. The paint didn't look as good as some of the pictures as I had seen. It seems like each job is a hit or miss; some look really good, some look purplish and dusty-musky. I decided to stop gambling with Blue until I have a color I'm certain of. I started soul searching for the next closest color, and of course it didn't take long to figure red. It's warm, only few shades look bad, and there are about 6 colors already in production that are favorites of mine.

Jaguar- Carnival Red
Aston Martin- Infa Red
Chevrolet- Magnetic Red II w/Tintcoat
Chevrolet- Crystal Red Metallic w/Tintcoat
Hyundai- Molten Red metallic
Chrysler- Carnival Red
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a Series III L67. Who wants to see a DOHC on fire? =D
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2008 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
Your sounding very dangerous, I may have to confiscate your engine from you if you insist on being destructive.
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
If your going to set it on fire ill take it of your hand before you do that.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2008 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

Your sounding very dangerous, I may have to confiscate your engine from you if you insist on being destructive.

All I can say David, I hope you never go through what I've been through in the past 7 months with my motor. My dohc had the disposition it should be catered on with a silver platter and titanium tools, or else it would self destruct.

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

If your going to set it on fire ill take it of your hand before you do that.

How about I sell it to you.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
My DOHC shoots pulsing blue flames out the exhaust when I pass newer Grand Prix ..does that count?

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 07-29-2008).]

linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post

How about I sell it to you.

Hmm I can't use it but I think I know someone who can PM me a price and whats included and Ill pass it on.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2008 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
When I'm done with the new swap, I'll sell what's left of it.
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Say it isn't so! Whats causing you to give up?

Sell me your dogbone setup... if you're giving up.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I'm giving up on the DOHC, not giving up. The dohc page is living testament of how ludicrous it is to depend on this motor for day to day driving. I wanted it to work out so badly, but the fact is, the motor is anything but dependable. I had to learn the hard way, but I only invest in bulletproof plans from now on.

The last straw was when a bearing spun last weekend. I was in process of fixing the plug water issue.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 07-29-2008).]

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

I'm giving up on the DOHC, not giving up. The dohc page is living testament of how ludicrous it is to depend on this motor for day to day driving. I wanted it to work out so badly, but the fact is, the motor is anything but dependable. I had to learn the hard way, but I only invest in bulletproof plans from now on.

The last straw was when a bearing spun last weekend. I was in process of fixing the plug water issue.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I have been driving mine for 4 yrs running the snot out of it on a daily basis, going on road trips ..the only real issue I had as far as reliability has been when I changed the timing belt I did not change the idler pullies and about 8 k later they failed. New belt, pullies and its been about 30 k since then. Total mileage on the motor so far is 160k ..not bad concidering how I've abused it
I've worked on customers cars that failed to change the belt and finally the belt goes out at 150k ..fix the belt change pullies and still driving the cars today. The important thing to do with this engine is to keep the oil clean
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
At this point; pull the current motor, up the compression/quench area, and rebuild. Or buy a 3.4 crate motor. It would be cheaper to build a 300 whp El shixty sheven, not to mention it will be 4 times harder to break it.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 08-02-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2008 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
The advertised Series III I bought turned out to be a Series II being passed off to someone who didn't know any better. Refund taken, I found a 36,000 mile '97 motor being stored at a junkyard.

All in a days work.

nioce! Clean oil.

Clean parts. Tight clearances on the rod bearings.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 08-02-2008).]

linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Nice l67
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Muahaha, welcome to the world of teh torqzors!
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Happy to be here. Where's the bar?
Younggun88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Younggun88Send a Private Message to Younggun88Direct Link to This Post
now you can have a fast reliable car.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2008 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
[thread]

End

[/thread]
blacksaleen95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacksaleen95Send a Private Message to blacksaleen95Direct Link to This Post
3800>3.4

wise choice....

looks good so far
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-22-2008 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Hey man. I'm far far far ahead of that picture. Just trying to tie this thread off. Time for a new one.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock