Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Emc209i's 88 Formula 3.4DOHC Build! (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
Emc209i's 88 Formula 3.4DOHC Build! by Emc209i
Started on: 12-27-2006 05:22 PM
Replies: 239
Last post by: Emc209i on 08-22-2008 01:45 PM
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
This weekend....

Here's what I came home too.

So the new thing to do was going to be building a new crate and then getting it under the engine. Everything else went pretty smoothly. I pretty much stopped working on my car around 3am Sunday morning. Here's some pictures I took Sunday night after some sleep.

Sunday afternoon I helped my dad extract a broken spark plug from his Stealth. Then came tapping and reinstallation. So I didn't have much time to work on mine. Although the engine is pretty much finished for now. I need to re-tap the back left cradle bolt hole though. Other than that, its all performance upgrades from there.

Next thing to do is finish the exterior and clean up the back suspension. My parents love how the bay area looks now.. I'm pretty pleased with it too. Although I have some more stuff up my sleeve to help out.
IP: Logged
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Looking sexayyy makes me want to start cutting into my 87...
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Is that even the same CAR?!?!?! Wow, what a difference. The engine bay looks great, engine looks great, and that wiring is over 100% better.

Can't wait to see this thing back on campus. Keep up the good work.

(Thanks for the for sale plug)
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I just realized how dirty the roof of the car is. lol. Time to get it off of jackstands.
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
OK, I demand another engine rev video.

I cannot wait to get back home and start my LQ1 build. It's just sitting in the garage waiting for my attention. You guys will get a lot of PM's and e-mails in the future from me.

------------------
"Semper Fiero"

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability

Thought I'd mention that the car runs and drives. I have a pretty major leak in the EGR block off plate that I made, which is throwing the idle sort of high. The car also sounds louder than before... :shrugs: I have no idea how that is, maybe its just been that long, heh. I might as well check all of the exhaust routing for problems though. The engine code light it on, which is probably because of the leak, but I need to make sure of that. Jncomutt needed his scanner back, so I need to get Mike to come over and see if the Snap-on works now. I moved the Serial wire over in the ADLD reader, so it should be in the same place as the 95 Carlo's was. I've got a billion little things to do, including moving some paneling and installing the rear window. I also let the rear cradle down for a second to adjust the motor back to stock timing. I talked to Steven about moving the C500 and battery junction into the wheel well. I mocked everything up and decided I didn't like the empty space in the bay, and so I moved everything back the way it was. I also purged the oil system of any remnants of the yellow mess and started running battery lines to the front.

Now I just have to wait for Mr. Pbody to make up his damn mind and make a battery tray so that I can copy it

Back in Charlotte and all is well.

-Paul
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
RFT is throwing me through a loop saying my car will handle worse up there, but since I am ditching the spare, it ought to be the same. Also since Norn pretty much told me I can't beat $85 I have to make one now out of spite. Give me a few days, I pooled all my cash together so I can go buy a 3800SC this weekend, if its gone... prepare to see pics of a grown man crying. Once I get the motor (if I do) I will start making a mold for the tray, if mine turns out okay and you have a couple weeks, I may have enough to make you one too. A little thank you for the cruise canister. No promises

My car got louder when I blocked off my EGR.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
That doesn't make sense... Front mount is a good thing, hell its a GREAT thing. Just don't mount it anywhere but in the spare tire tub. I looked for the thread over there and couldn't find it. Could you link me? I saw the earlier post with you and Norm. While I agree its not a rape deal, using anything but 00 wire out of the question. I purchased enough of it to run the from front to back of my car three times. Sale price: $40 From Advance Auto. I'm sure that you can build a very decent box for $45 or less. If you're able to make a spare I will pay you for it, holding that it looks good

Good luck with the 3.8.

Edit: Never mind, I just found the thread.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 02-05-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2008 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
....whhaaaaat...... :Shakes head:

Move the battery! Their reasoning isn't sound, who cares about moment of inertia when the back end is excessively heavy. Besides having the extra room in the back is a luxury not well wasted.

"Keeping the battery in the back of the car will make turn in quicker. Not trying to swing another 60lbs on the front axels."
This is true theoretically. The problem is that, if you make a turn that fast.... the back end is going to go head over heals because of too much weight back there. The gains you make aren't going to be usable if you loose control snapping the car around. Sure there will be minor improvements, but face it, your not building a track car. Put the battery up front Paul, you won't regret that. Crzyone has his battery in under the headlights. This is a big no no from what I've heard. Putting it in the tire trey is a very good thing to do. There's no wonder he would move it.

I'm talking with a 3800 owner right now with a front mount on aim. His reply to "would you move it back" was "heck no". He also feels no dampened driving. I have mentioned this individual in previous Pm's to you, and I fully trust his information! He's a for runner in the Fiero game.

This should be enough proof, but if you need more, Pm me and I'll share some stuff that Steven Snyder (series8217) shared with me earlier last week about the battery placement.

Last thing. Anyone reading this that wants to debate the matter can do so on RFT, this is my build thread and I'd rather not get into a debate here. I'll be glad to jump over there as well if anyone wants to discuss this. I am in no way trying be an ass about this, just that I disagree. Thanks guys.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I've got a thread on RFT dedicated to it, for others interested. My buddy has a plan as to how to do it, I need to get him some money to buy supplies after this weekend and then I can start on it. If the 3800 falls through, then I have like $300 cash in my hand to buy ridiculous crap with, cause just saving for the next 3800 would just be stupid . Post some more pics of that clean formula before I ruin your thread. Go ahead and pm me what steven has to say.
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
hey paul i got 2 questions

who makes that rear strut bar?

and what color/paint code is your car? i love that shade of blue
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Darrel Morse made them. He apparently had only 2 left when I picked mine up. Check with him to see if he still does, or perhaps you could find one from a member here.

The paint is BMW Montreal Blue (Variant II) Number 297; metallic.
This paint covered: 3 series, 5 series and the Z3 from 94-00.

The paint is normally a darker blue during the day for manufacturer paint, but the pearl base that was applied beneath mine had too much red mixed into it. The car sometimes looks purple. I'd recommend staying away from the pearl and just laying the metallic.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2008 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Here's the stock color (Variant I) : http://www.cardomain.com/ride/376600
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Darrel fell off the face of the earth, supposidly he does Harleys now, but no more fieros. Fierostore sells strut bars for $159.95. Did you have to buy the paint from BMW or did someone mix it up for you? I am thinking about doing Calypso red because it is similar to the color my car is now, but I like it more.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2008 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
It was custom mixed by an old friend using Sherwin Williams automotive paints. They specialize in manufacture paints, and so all I had to do was find a color I liked on a fairly new car. The books they put out annually have all of the paint ingredients to mix the colors- 20 oz paint (part this part that) 2 grams of flake, 1 gram of pearl... etc ++. I'm planing on something custom this time because I can't find a blue with the zing I want.
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
same here i cant pick the right blue i want for my car, i kinda like the corvette blue.

i was even thinking somthing like bloodred orange
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2008 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to paint mine blue as well, and fell in love with the Honda Royal Blue Pearl. Very dark blue with a slight pearlescent hue.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

same here i cant pick the right blue i want for my car, i kinda like the corvette blue.

i was even thinking somthing like bloodred orange

If you're interested in Corvette Electron Blue, you need to look at Kyle's car:
http://www.2bluesc.com/
http://www.2bluesc.com/view...Summer%2FKohl+Center

Originally posted by topcat:

I am looking to paint mine blue as well, and fell in love with the Honda Royal Blue Pearl. Very dark blue with a slight pearlescent hue.

I like that color. It's really a classy looking blue. There's a lot of other colors out there with the same characteristics. I just want something with a bit more zing in it... and no one makes that. Besides, you have chrome wheels to accent the paint. I don't..

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 06-05-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
I considered Toyota Spectra Blue mica for a while, but in direct like it has a greenish underglare that comes up, which I don't like. It's aslo sort of bright in the day time. It's gorguous under florescent light and in the evening!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

And then there's Porsche's Dark Lapis Mettalic:

And many many more. I want something like the corvette color, but a bit deeper and darker. Something I want to swim in, but still haveing that classy yet youthful look.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 05-23-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2008 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
The back window is in and setting. Things are looking really good. I'm pretty excited to see what I can get done tomorrow.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/089385.html

Jscott1 just pointed me in the right direction for converting the '87 GT tail light harness into a working component for the '88 C500.
Tail light harness conversion

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 02-10-2008).]

Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Indigo Blue Pearl Metallic with Galaxy Silver. Both are factory GM colors.

This Blue also changes color in different light. It has a purple tint in some light. But only if you look close.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2008 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I've always enjoyed your car Rick. Thank you for posting. I think that would make for a very pretty color. Ford/Jaguar also has a paint called Indigo Ink, similar in color.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Progressssssss................. The cars back on wheels!!

Every time I get the car off of stands I'm amazed about how low it is.. haha.

The amount of side access room is stunning compared to before!
I dare say there is more room than the Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, and Lumina. It wouldn't much of a task changing that cover this time.

The back window has dried well! I just need to do a seem on the inside lower portion for a tight seal.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 02-10-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
OH SNAP. I think you should put the sport coupe rear bumper back on IMO. Fastback FTW
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Yeah..... Is it possible that the car got twice as cool in the past 24 hours...
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Not much of an update other than some photo's. After packing everything up to ship off to people, I spent most of the day tearing the GT's rear impact bar apart and coating it in rust preventative paint and swapping everything over. It took most of the day, but I'm glad I took the precaution of coating everything to prevent future rust of any sort. I then finished putting all of the trim back onto the fastback piece. The back of the cars frame is now entirely coated in a new simi black krylon. I'll Por-15 later on in life

The DOHC also looks more at home in the new cladding. Everything is starting to look really clean. Paint's going to help a lot of course! But I can see potential peaking through.

I hate this panel combo - I'll be the first to say it. I'm going to swap the rest of the body over next weekend. I'm going to miss the coupe front end and doors.

Also... I guess this is reason enough to post. I wasn't going to say anything, but I can't contain any longer. After three months of searching.. I have found my new color.

Sample:
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Paul, say it ain't so? You really are switchin to the darkside!?? Don't mind me, I support notchies........ So what made you decide on the change? Sumthin different to look at or was this always the plan?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Pavo

NOTCHIES RULE, FASTBACKS DROOL.........

Me

Not for long.....

I tried to warn ya. : \ I can feel the disappointment in your post... sorry man.

It's been the plan for some time now. Being young and restless, I want to try something new. That and I'm sick and tired of the lack of respect the car's getting from others right now - around school, town, etc. I once knew a guy in town named Robert Verhalen, you may remember him here. He dumped over 20K into his notchie. The funny thing- even though it was a gorgeous car, he repeatedly was beaten by Jack Cook because the judges liked the fastback more- albeit Jack's car is gorgeous also. This drove Verhalen up the wall, and I'm sure it will me too. Gotta try everything to appreciate some things.

Don't frett- I have the notchie build formula in my back pocket. If I ever decide to get another notchie or build one for someone else, I know what to do.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Back to the top.

Look what I got for $6.34. They're in "ok" condition, but will last until I want to drop $300 on Fiero store lenses.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Coat of VHT nightshades and you'll be golden. Looking good, are you planning on making the 25th?
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I've had several people ask me that..... I don't know. That's a long way. But it sounds like an event not to miss.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I am going to try to do a like 2 week engine swap haha this June to try to take a car that isn't slow as hell, I think its worth going.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2008 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep this out of the archives for a little while.
FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post
Nice work man!
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

I tried to warn ya. : \ I can feel the disappointment in your post... sorry man.

It's been the plan for some time now. Being young and restless, I want to try something new. That and I'm sick and tired of the lack of respect the car's getting from others right now - around school, town, etc. I once knew a guy in town named Robert Verhalen, you may remember him here. He dumped over 20K into his notchie. The funny thing- even though it was a gorgeous car, he repeatedly was beaten by Jack Cook because the judges liked the fastback more- albeit Jack's car is gorgeous also. This drove Verhalen up the wall, and I'm sure it will me too. Gotta try everything to appreciate some things.

Don't frett- I have the notchie build formula in my back pocket. If I ever decide to get another notchie or build one for someone else, I know what to do.

Hi all

Your detailing looks AWEsome!!! No worries mate, about switching! I've owned 2 fieros thus far, and one was a notchie, so it's all good about trying new things, WOW, how hold are you? I think I was 25 when I learned this lesson.......... Qouted from the above quote; "Gotta try everything to appreciate some things".... It's totally true too!! After all, if you don't go for it all, how else will you know you truely got the most outa life!..........

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2008 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Paul, that doesn't mean guys, beware of Andy... lol.

j/k
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2008 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
ROFLOL
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Removal of 1.75 of coil. I wanted to be very careful not to go to low, so I started with one coil and then proceeded a .25 coil at a time. The first coil (Top of spring) is a dead coil, so the cars drop rate began gaining exponentially after going past the first coil.

I need to get spacers for the back.

The bottom of the rocker is consistently 21/2" from the ground. Spring rate has increased dramatically in the rear. I also cut down the bump stops. I can stand on the back and jump up and down without bottoming out the suspension. This setup will suffice until I build a set of coil overs.

This car will be bitching with paint, tint, new windows, and tail light covers.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 06-23-2008).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if you've made up your mind already for paint color, but I'd like to suggest another one. (I like most of the above colors too. - I'm a huge fan of blue. )

The picture doesn't show the Cayman color off very well. It's a bit darker, and has purple hues in the right light. I drive by a Porsche dealership every day, and the blue Cayman's are such a tease!!!

________
(Until the Cayman came out in that color, I never paid attention to Porsche, but that car just seems "right". Until somebody else decides to build affordable mid-engined cars, the Cayman might be the only new car to carry the mid-engined daily driver legacy. Too bad they're pricey though. )
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock