Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Emc209i's 88 Formula 3.4DOHC Build! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
Emc209i's 88 Formula 3.4DOHC Build! by Emc209i
Started on: 12-27-2006 05:22 PM
Replies: 239
Last post by: Emc209i on 08-22-2008 01:45 PM
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2007 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. It will take more than a night. I'm not going to pull any DKOV stuff with addition, but I'm sure its puting more than 210 at the crank. I guess that's what the "~" was for. Anyway, I can't get the pulley/bolt sleeve until monday.

I'll have some new pictures up soon along with video and sound. Thanks for everyone's support!

-Paul
IP: Logged
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all

Gesh Paul, you trying to scare us?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
How stock is your engine? Mine certainly goes but I wouldn't say wow. Maybe the small(er) exhaust I used on mine and the crappy (ie dirty) cone air filter arn't helping but it's certainly not neck snapping.
That said, it does motor, 80+at th the end of the on ramp happens way too often and it is certainly capably of keeping up with traffic on the freeway. Thing I like most is just press the pedal and it goes, not matter the gear.
Feels and drives like the way the car should have been from the get go.
Anyway, I hope you make it to Charlotte, I'd like to see it in person, compare notes sorta

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Thank you. It will take more than a night. I'm not going to pull any DKOV stuff with addition, but I'm sure its puting more than 210 at the crank. I guess that's what the "~" was for. Anyway, I can't get the pulley/bolt sleeve until monday.

I'll have some new pictures up soon along with video and sound. Thanks for everyone's support!

-Paul

Yeah, ~210 (about 210 HP), give or take based on your exhaust setup, any mods, removing the PS, etc. Still, there's lots of Fieros with a LOT more power being used as everday drivers. It's amazing what you can get accustomed to.

The 3.4 DOHC is a sweet engine. But I don't think it'll scare you for long. Be it 200HP, 300, or 400 - you get used to it after a while. I used have both a Grand National and a 455 Trans Am that I drove as daily drivers at the time. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal. It's just nice having the reserve power there if/when you want it.

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2007 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

How stock is your engine? Mine certainly goes but I wouldn't say wow. Maybe the small(er) exhaust I used on mine and the crappy (ie dirty) cone air filter arn't helping but it's certainly not neck snapping.
That said, it does motor, 80+at th the end of the on ramp happens way too often and it is certainly capably of keeping up with traffic on the freeway. Thing I like most is just press the pedal and it goes, not matter the gear.
Feels and drives like the way the car should have been from the get go.
Anyway, I hope you make it to Charlotte, I'd like to see it in person, compare notes sorta

The engine is fresh, with reground and minor port work to the heads. The exhaust cams are set to 8-10* retard (which you can feel when it hits 3000). Running a performance air filter (I don't think its really a big deal) and exhaust without a Catalytic Conv. I believe the biggest factor is the conection with the road. I'm running poly, swaybars, and a lowered front end, also with a spec III clutch. I was able to spin the tires when I power shifted to second going up hill! Rear tires are Perreli 235 wide. That's a lot of rubber to spin in second gear! But the clutch grabs hard. And power shifting will snap your neck back.
I'd be happy to show the entire setup in April, look forward to meeting you as well.

Originally posted by Formula88:

Yeah, ~210 (about 210 HP), give or take based on your exhaust setup, any mods, removing the PS, etc. Still, there's lots of Fieros with a LOT more power being used as everday drivers. It's amazing what you can get accustomed to.

The 3.4 DOHC is a sweet engine. But I don't think it'll scare you for long. Be it 200HP, 300, or 400 - you get used to it after a while. I used have both a Grand National and a 455 Trans Am that I drove as daily drivers at the time. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal. It's just nice having the reserve power there if/when you want it.

Its got plenty of reserve that's for sure! I'll turbo it one day when I feel like pulling the engine back out to rebuild it stronger. In the mean time I don't think I'll have any trouble at all enjoying the power its putting out. I saw a dyno sheet with a small T4 putting 346HP to the wheels in a monte carlo. He was running 10 pounds. When and if I want more power out of the Fiero, the motor I have now is more than capable of making 400+ HP. That's why I chose it. I like it more than the L67 I will say that, It fits me much better, and I like the belts much more than the N* chains. The sound outdoes them all, even the new LS7.

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
You need to get a (stiffer) dogbone on there if you're chewing up pulleys like that. Must be hitting the strut tower.
Now take it to the track and lets see some times!
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on getting it done. I am hoping to make it to Charlotte this year to see it up close. Now take it easy on that new clutch until you have a few miles on it to beak it in.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:
The exhaust cams are set to 8-10* retard (which you can feel when it hits 3000).

Oh yeah, that'll make a difference!!
I've seen some vids of stock 3.4DOHCs running, and the engine sound changes and it's like you opened up secondaries around 3000-3500 rpm. That's gotta be even more pronounced with the cam timing.

How's the low speed driving - under 3000? Are you considering a short runner intake? That should really wake up the upper revs with the re-timed cams.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

You need to get a (stiffer) dogbone on there if you're chewing up pulleys like that. Must be hitting the strut tower.
Now take it to the track and lets see some times!

Trust me that's not it, the pulley bolt un-threaded itself. I didn't post any dogbone pictures yet for a reason, it isn't polished yet

Originally posted by topcat:

Now take it easy on that new clutch until you have a few miles on it to beak it in.

Amen!

Originally posted by Formula88:

Are you considering a short runner intake?

Yes, with a N* throttle body. Headers and 2.5 are in line also, just not this year.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Any plans to dyno it after the headers and intake? I'd love to see how much more than stock that gets combined with the cam timing.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2007 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Yes I'll be sure to throw up the numbers if/when I dyno, one of those things that needs to be tied up after the DKOV incident. Low end driving is incredibly smooth, even with the spec III. I haven't gotten to drive the car much though so I can't say much. The craziest thing is how smooth and gentle it can be until you open it up, then it feels and sounds like a beast is in the back. Anyone know of a good place to get a 6 rib belt pulley that's made out of metal rather than plastic? Still on the hunt for one.
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
You might check the junkyards for various alternators with metal pulleys. I had to replace the alternator pulley on my '92 Grand Marquis and I believe it was a 6 groove. I couldn't find one of those, so I'm using a 7 groove instead. The grooves all still line up, it just has an extra groove on the front that's unused.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
What diameter / type do you need?

Try Dayco Part Number 89051
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
That will work wonderfully! Thank you.

I'm going to be mailing people about this, but does anyone know what has to be done to get the seedo to work correctly? The VSS is plugged into the computer, and the output from the computer is going to the speedometer. What am I missing? I don't have any of the diagrams or books with me, or I'd figure it out. I'l like to wing this one... I know someone knows why, so help there would be great!
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I don' t know how you have yours wired, but this is how I wired my 3800sc.

The yellow LOW wire goes from the speedo to the low input of the PCM. I spliced into this wire and connected that to my C203 pin R.
The purple HIGH wire goes from the speedo to the high input of the PCM. I spliced into this wire and connected that to my C203 pin G.

I don't use the speedo out pin from my PCM.

I know others have done it differently and I've heard of using the pcm speedo out thru a converter circuit into the pin R, but I just took the easy route and spliced right into them. It has worked flawlessly on the 3800sc for about 15k now.

YMMV
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Did mine the same way. If the speed does not work, swap the wires over since speedo grounds one, ecm grounds the other, if you have them crossed BOTH sides are grounded which does not hurt anything but it don't work either (ask me how I know!).

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Ok that makes sense! The ECM needs input from the VSS though, for engine timing on downshifts. Does anyone have information on how to use the ECM output, because we have already wired everything nicely and I don't really want to mess with anything running through the 500 connector. I'd like to stay on the cabin firewall if you know what I mean. I've had enough fun in the engine bay.

The output from the X-Vin oil pump is also different so the oil gauge pegs. Has anyone found the solution resistor needed to reduce the signal.

Basically:
Speedo output from ECM
And reducing signal from oil pump to what the 2.8 was putting out.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 06-15-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2007 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Theoretically I could also tee signal out from the input to the speedo and wire that into the 500.

err... wait no. So basically I could just swap the wires and it may light up. Sounds like a trouble shooting trial.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 02-14-2007).]

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
If your oil gauge pegs then you have switch on the engine, not a pressure sensor, depends what your engine came out of. I used an 88 4 cyl Fiero sender on mine, screws right in, works great.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Your speedo runs through the C500??
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
It does now!

I'll show you what I'm talking about when I meet you.
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
You going to have the car around this weekend? Is it finally all set?
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2007 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I'm in a rush and can't spend too long because I need to eat something. I uploaded this video last night. Trying to get the pulley squared away. Then the speedo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlpAwkQht8

I'll be back shortly.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 02-17-2007).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
TTT! I need to get some pictures now. We made the sweetest looking plate for the pulley! I just drove the car on the usual 40 mile trip back to school, and I love it love it love it. The car is sooo different. So smooth, so quiet until pushed. In fifth gear I could easily pull traffic to pass, and getting to 100 is no effort at all. The engine gets pretty warm back there, but never goes above 220 on the gauge. I love my sports car!!!!

Jncomutt: we need to get together. Let me know when you've got some time.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Hey man, u have that thing on campus yet? The past week or two I've been seeing a silver fiero as well. Have you seen it around?
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-20-2007 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I've been going crazy! I'm writing papers for scholarships, uptown class, homework all of a sudden... sorry. I don't see it happening this week as I'm going to have to head back to Winston on Thursday just so I can personally submit a scholarship.

The silver Fiero: Funny you should mention him. I was sitting downstairs in Fretwell one day, working on math homework, and this guy across from me is snoring. Not long after I sat down, this guy comes over and wakes him up. The guy stretches talks to him about how he was base jumping with the Army that morning at 4am, and then starts talking about the wildest little car he'd just bought. I was listening in when he said that it was Fiero and then he started talking about how much fun it was and that no one else had one but him. I listened to him for a second until he messed up some of his facts and I corrected him. He gave me a weird look and I explained to him that I was an enthusiast and had one. We talked for a second and then I had to leave for class. I never saw the car, but he described it as a silver coupe. I've also seen a GT running around at night.

What are you doing next Monday night? That would be a good time for me; maybe we could get a bite to eat. That's the night of my uptown class. Let me know.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
I have a question on my build:

Is this the heater core coolant return?

Thanks

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, 3.4 DOHC 6-speed installation in process. Really. I am working on it.

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Yup.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 12-04-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
On the 88 models you would plug that return and use the factory tee into the coolent pipes running under the car.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Yup.

Thanks, Dave.
PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

sspeedstreet

2306 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Here's my confusion. I've been trying to make sense of this diagram:

EDIT: Incorrect flow diagram deleted. Correct is posted below.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 02-22-2007).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

sspeedstreet

2306 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Bump
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Emc209i, you hae to use this circuit to get your speedometer working with the ECM's output:
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/speedo.html

Neil, that diagram is incorrect.
For the oil cooler, water flows out of the fitting on the block and into the cooler, then out to the water pump return block.
For the UIM/TB, water flows out from the LIM into the TB, then back to the water pump through that steel line that goes above the front manifold.
On an 87-88 Fiero you would remove and plug the fitting that the red arrow points to. The heater core return merges with the radiator return on the chassis side of things on the 87-88s.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Neil, that diagram is incorrect.
For the oil cooler, water flows out of the fitting on the block and into the cooler, then out to the water pump return block.
For the UIM/TB, water flows out from the LIM into the TB, then back to the water pump through that steel line that goes above the front manifold.
On an 87-88 Fiero you would remove and plug the fitting that the red arrow points to. The heater core return merges with the radiator return on the chassis side of things on the 87-88s.

Thanks, Steven. I'm posting a corrected version for posterity.

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all

Can someone tell me what the weight of a fully dressed 3.4 dohc weighs, one for a fiero??

Paul, I would LOVE to see that vid, but my speaker system is on the fritz!! UGGGgggghhh!!.... Any plans this weekend for the car?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2007 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Right at 500 lbs. with fluids in it.

Freight companies tried telling me it weighed only 400lbs, and so they lost $100 when they tried to come back later and collect for the 500lbs (The fluids weren't fully drained from the motor, it still had oil and some anti-freeze)

I'd like to clean the Fiero today and take some shots but I've got a guest at the moment and I have a few other things to do before tonight.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 02-24-2007).]

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Free Bump! Any updates? How long away is that turbo install?

------------------
2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged

www.purevolume.com/seanrainey

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2007 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
SLAM ! Back to the Top! Thought I forgot about you guys didn't you... tsk tsk tsk.

I've been working kinks out of the system for the past two months. I'm still not where I want to be, but the car is running along beautifully. My current dilima is the fuse block. I've pulley past what appears to be 7K two or three times now and each time the TPI and fuel fuses all blow. The first time it happened I thought I'd thrown a rod.... it wasn't fun. The car just will cut off. Last time it happened I reached down, popped down the fuse box, popped extra fuses in and took off. The fuses are 5 amp stock. Does the LQ1 use higher resistance fuses, say 10 or 15?

I miss my old clutch ... The stage III is so picky and jittery. I'm still learning how to keep from stalling in pecular situations. Bob I'll have to talk to your guy next time.

Lots of hoses and this and that's but I think it's stable now. I really want to open the exhaust and intake now. The music the engine makes right now is glorious!

I'm tired, but I plan on getting some good media tomorrow.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Well we'll start with the good:

Here is a video of the TBI-INJ fuse's blowing again. I put two 15 amp fuse into the slots and I haven't had any other trouble since. (Since, knock on wood) Would having such big fuses there hurt the system? I assume that flooring the engine is pulling to many OHM's and is frying the fuses.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JrsdHIrLRBg

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 03-10-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock