Rear window mod by pontiacman63383
Started on: 06-27-2007 02:14 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: jscott1 on 06-28-2007 08:59 PM
pontiacman63383

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
Hello all, has any one ever made the rear window motor operated to roll up and down like in a del sol. I know that Skitime made part of his open. but I would like to have the hole thing go up and down. Is it even possible I know you would probably have to move the ecm connection thought the firewall but would the engine get in the way or not? any ideas or pics?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
The main problem in doing that would be the hot air coming out of the engine would then be hitting you in the back of the head when the window was down.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

The main problem in doing that would be the hot air coming out of the engine would then be hitting you in the back of the head when the window was down.

right right

someone did put a "roof scoop" on, that did in fact tunnel air down thru the top.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
The heat might not be a big issue with the sunroof out and windows down, that would completely change the aerodynamics of it.

The real issue is that the window is straight up and down where the firewall is at an angle. To get it to go straight down, it would be taking up a good chunk of space in the engine compartment that is already at a premium. Although not nearly as practical, it would be much more feasible to make a removable rear window.
pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
I have a sunroof so the heat would not be a problem but i figured the engine would get in the way, so how hard is it to make the rear window removable?
Philphine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
easiest thing ever. just take a 3lb ballpeen hammer and....

...huh?.... oh you want to put it back later?

ok. i don't know.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacman63383:

I have a sunroof so the heat would not be a problem but i figured the engine would get in the way, so how hard is it to make the rear window removable?

I believe exoticse will be tossing his out...you might want to pm him.

edit; never mind, his is a choptop

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-27-2007).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
The edges of the rear clip get in the way of removing the rear glass in one piece without first detaching/lifting/moving/removing the rear clip.

In V6-equipped cars, the forward exhaust manifold, etc. is in the way of the rear window being able to move straight down. It's been a while since I've been in a Coupe engine compartment, so there might be room, but I'd kind of be surprised to discover that.

I actually drove my old coupe around without a rear window for a while - the 'neat factor' overrode the 'heat factor', in my opinion. And heck, my current Formula's a convertible, so I guess the heat isn't as bad as people think it will be. Doesn't bother me since it's generally hot outside anyway when I have the top down...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Originally posted by pontiacman63383:
I know that Skitime made part of his open.

Me, not interested in that mod. I have also not waded thru all of Skitimes build thread...history thread. The man is good, the thread there when I need it.
What was his opinion on an open rear window dynamics?

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You all have to remember that the wiring harness and fuel lines are in the way too.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:
The edges of the rear clip get in the way of removing the rear glass in one piece without first detaching/lifting/moving/removing the rear clip.

Uhh...what happens in case of a broken rear window ?
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Uhh...what happens in case of a broken rear window ?

In my experience, the rear clip has to be loosened and lifted to put the new glass in.

Or, there's a possibility that removing the decklid might garner enough space to maneuver the glass in place beneath the edges of the clip, but I can't swear to it - never tried it that way.

------------------

wingless

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winglessClick Here to visit wingless's HomePageSend a Private Message to winglessDirect Link to This Post
any links on rear window removal? this might help us explain what we are discussing
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Wrong. Rear window can be removed with only having to remove the headliner.

The rear window cannot just go down. If anyone took 2 minutest to survey the situation, they would soon understand why,

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
A sliding rear window would seemingly be a good choice...like on a number of regular cab trucks.
slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
kinda like my S10 window i bet you could cut it down and make it fit!! i smell a mod brewing
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:
Wrong. Rear window can be removed with only having to remove the headliner.

Not that I'm arguing - I'd trust your methods beyond many others - but what does the headliner have to do with it?

The rear glass is adhered to the back(!) side of the cockpit space frame rear arch with nasty, black 'goo' adhesive, surrounded by the edges of the rear clip, dropping down around (not against, but in the general vicinty of) the rear glass.

I know from personal experience, if you manage to get the sides and top of the 'goo' released, the glass will 'hinge' back on the bottom and hit the edges of the clip.

The hinge points of the decklid rise up to capture the bottom edge of the glass to prevent a simple 'detach and swing out' motion of the bottom of the glass...

And, finally, even if you got all the 'goo' freed from all four sides of the glass, the sail panels curving in prevent the bottom corners ofthe rear window from simply swinging out of the general area of the rear window...

Granted, (and please read this calmly, not challengingly, because I'm typing this with curiosity and an open-minded wish to learn) A) it has been 13-14 years since I took the rear window out of my Coupe (in one piece), and B) it was a notchback, not a GT, so there might be spacial differences between the shape of the rear clip of one vs. the other, but I distinctly remember, knowing what I knew and experienced at the time, that it was impossible to remove the rear glass in one piece without releasing and raising the rear notchback clip, and that the headliner had nothing to do with the removal process, other than getting it out of the way to access the connections that hold in place the top of the arch of the rear clip...

How is it possible, Obi-Wan Ski-nobi?

I'm definitely curious, having experienced what I did.

(Opens head for knowldege to be poured in..)

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Originally posted by cliffw:
What was his opinion on an open rear window dynamics?

What is the air flow like ? In, out, hot, fumes ...etc?
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I have removed the rear glass from 2 GTs and never touched the rear clip mountings. To remove the rear glass you cut the rubber adhesive with a wire on all four sides. Headliner would be ruined with the adhesive mess if left in place and it also provides room to work along the roof. The only other body part needed to be removed is the black inner sail panel trim.

The engine heat will come forward if only the windows are down. With the t-tops off it is OK. I found it best with all windows closed and just the rear window open.
pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post
Ok if you cut thourgh the "goo" as you call it. replaced it with a seal mounded the rear window on sunroof hinges but so it tilts in to be removed on the inside is that possable. like skitimes only the whole window and it tilting in not out?
PFF
System Bot
niemann99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for niemann99Send a Private Message to niemann99Direct Link to This Post
Say,

There is nothing insumountable in having a rear window that goes up and down, as impractical as it might be. As others have said, the wiring connections and probably the ECM would have to moved. The Window would have to be at the same angle as the firewall and go up and down at that angle. In one of my old fieros a long time ago, I put a "door" in the firewall so I could get to the front spark plugs more easily. There isn't anything that is mounted to the firewall that cant be moved with some imagination and determination.

Personally, I would like to see one like that.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by niemann99:

Say,

There is nothing insumountable in having a rear window that goes up and down, as impractical as it might be. As others have said, the wiring connections and probably the ECM would have to moved. The Window would have to be at the same angle as the firewall and go up and down at that angle. In one of my old fieros a long time ago, I put a "door" in the firewall so I could get to the front spark plugs more easily. There isn't anything that is mounted to the firewall that cant be moved with some imagination and determination.

Personally, I would like to see one like that.

Have you looked at your car before saying this? If the window came up at the same angle of the firewall the window would be 6-8 inches away from the roof.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I drove my choptop with no rear window for about 50 feet and the heat, smell and noise was waaay more than the cool factor. If you had such a window it would only be good for show.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock