Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Adding HomeLink Garage Door Opener to a Fiero (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Adding HomeLink Garage Door Opener to a Fiero by skitime
Started on: 02-10-2007 10:40 AM
Replies: 86
Last post by: skitime on 08-15-2007 07:58 AM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
You'd better hope that the local thugs don't carry a code grabber. Some of the newer system are encrypted or scrambled. Some thieves make the rounds clicking a code grabber as they stroll down the block hopeing that someones garage door will open. In the meantime, make sure your new garage door system default is changed out using your own personal ID.

Edit: I own pg. 2, hehe.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-06-2007).]

IP: Logged
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

Dave, since you've already did this, does the Homelink unit lose it's programming if the 12v power is removed? Just curious.

John, your right about the 84's and a bunch of other GM cars, it seems to be pot luck sometimes on how a car is wired up, it varies from year to year. (In his best Forest Gump voice) It's like a box of chocolates............................................

I have mine wired permanently so I don't know for sure. I am pretty sure they have a memory chip or they would have to be reprogrammed every time you changed a battery or had a dead battery.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Well next time you work on the car and unplug the battery, let us know if the opener still works. I'm tempted to do this myself, and my mother could really use one since she can't find clickers for our door opener.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Here is some information from a Homelink webpage so you will not loose memory if you connect to a key powered wire for security.

HomeLink® Access Systems
The HomeLink® Universal Transceiver replaces the remote controls that activate your garage door, open your estate gate, unlock your entry door, arm and disarm your security system, even turn on lighting inside your home. HomeLink® memorizes the activation codes for up to three remote controlled devices.

Features
Replaces up to three hand held transmitters
Contractual relationships with all major access control manufacturers.
Rolling code compatible.
Programs quickly and easily.
Powered by vehicle's battery.
No batteries to replace or individual transmitters to lose.
Non-volatile memory - retains all data should battery die or disconnect.
Engineered to automotive standards.
Can be used with most other RF activated devices.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 03-07-2007).]

Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2007 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
Thank You sir, your a scholar and a gentleman.

I may have to do this now, plus rewire my Yukon XL and DW Impala.

Good Idea David.
FIEROFROSTBITE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFROSTBITESend a Private Message to FIEROFROSTBITEDirect Link to This Post
This sounded like a great idea so I stated looking on Ebay to find a Cadillac module and noticed that the early model modules had a two wire connector but the later model modules, that are "rolling code" compatible, have a three wire connector. Since my garage door openers use the rolling code technology, that should be the Homelink module that I will need to use. My question is, what is the third wire used for ?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Here is some information from a Homelink webpage so you will not loose memory if you connect to a key powered wire for security.
[b]

Thanks for checking...non-volitile memory is a great thing. Too bad the rest of our 80s electronics don't have it.
FIEROFROSTBITE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFROSTBITESend a Private Message to FIEROFROSTBITEDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know about the third wire ?
FIEROFROSTBITE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFROSTBITESend a Private Message to FIEROFROSTBITEDirect Link to This Post
Skitime, do you know anything about the third wire ?
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFROSTBITE:

Skitime, do you know anything about the third wire ?

Nope, Get a schematic from the car it is out of.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

FIEROFROSTBITE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFROSTBITESend a Private Message to FIEROFROSTBITEDirect Link to This Post
I tried the schematic route but all I could find were sites that would sell the information for "interesting" prices. I had a few minutes today, so I went by my favorite yard and got lucky. I found a 1998 STS with the controller installed. Ten dollars later it was mine, including the whole mounting plate and wiring. It turns out that the circuit board has three contacts but only the outside two are used. The plug has only two wires, is not jumpered internally and there is no other provision to power the center contact on the circuit board. I still don't know what the center contact was to be used for but it makes no difference. The rest of the project will come when time allows.
PFF
System Bot
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Well, I just got mine done and it works perfect. I love homelink!
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
It is a great gadget for sure. Glad you are enjoying it. Diid you do an install like mine?

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 03-29-2007).]

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

It is a great gadget for sure. Glad you are enjoying it. Diid you do an install like mine?

Glad to hear your still enhancing your car. Always a winner in my book.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I did. I did have a bit of a problem making the hole nice for the homelink.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
O.K., anybody having problems programming their unit...?

I've got an Overhead Door rolling-code garage door opener that is HomeLink compatible, and I'm following the directions that came with the module, that are on the HomeLink website, and in my garage door opener manual... even though I'm cycling the button on the handheld transmitter like the directions say I should (it only sends the signal for a couple of seconds each time), the light on the HomeLink module just keeps flashing slowly for about 30 seconds at a time then just stays off.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Seems hard to screw up just holding down two buttons at the same time... how many seconds did it seem to take before the HomeLink module started flashing rapidly, indicating that it accepted the code? 2? 5? 10? 20?

*sigh*

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 04-12-2007).]

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
*bump* for help (crossing fingers)

------------------

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
If I am not mistaken, you have to hold the garage door transmitter close to the homelink and program that first. Then press the training button on the garage door motor and then click once more the homelink to activate the programming. Hope this helps.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Yes, programming the HomeLink module is what I'm talking about having problems with... if I could get the module programmed, I don't think I'll have any problem 'training' the garage door opener.

How long did your HomeLink module blink slowly until it blinked rapidly and accepted the code from the hand held transmitter unit?

Thanks,
Patrick

------------------

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
I would say it took about 15 seconds to start blinking fast.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post

alex de jorge

501 posts
Member since Nov 2005
Patrick,

From what you have dercribed, it seems like your transmitter is not sending the signal long enough for the homelink to capture. Just to be sure, are you pressing and holding down the button on your transmitter until the homelink starts flashing rapidly?
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm holding the button, but the red light on my handheld transmitter doesn't stay on steady - it blinks.

According to the directions, if that's the case (that the signal isn't one long, constant 'beam'), then I am to re-press the button on the handheld remote every two seconds while holding the HomeLink button steadily the whole time.

I'm not sure what's not working...
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Let me ask you another ? Do you have another transmitter? If so, does act the same way as the one you are using now?
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
That's a thought... I'll dig out a new transmitter and program it and see if it works with more success.

::crossing fingers::
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Well, sh*t... I dug out a larger transmitter, one that continued transmitting (according to the light that stayed on the whole time that I held the button down), and the HomeLink module still just sat there and flashed slowly the entire time.

I noticed that Skitime's has a red light and mine has an amber (which was why I got it - figred it matched the interior lighting closer than true red) - does that make any sort of difference? Is that indicative of a different model? The auction I got it from stated that it was compatible with 'rolling code' garage door openers...

I'm beginning to feel like I got ripped off for $60 on the auction...

------------------

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Patrick,

Don't worry. I don't think the light makes a difference. Another ? Did you clear the codes that were in the homelink module already? If you have not, that would explain why is not doing anything. So, put you garage transmitter aside and lets clear the codes. On your homelink, press and hold the first and third button until the light starts to blink fast. Once you see that, it means that the old codes have been erased. Now, try the procedure again. This should work.

Alex
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Anything yet!
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I am having problems getting mine to take a code as well. I've cleared the codes, and tried at least a dozen times using the instructions from the homelink website. I think that the one that I got might be incompatible with the newer rolling code openers.

I am debating on getting another one from a newer 2005 or up car.

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

topcat

5486 posts
Member since Dec 2001
I just read that the openers with the amber light are rolling code compatible, and the one with the red light are not. I have the one with a red light. I am not sure I wnat to spend money on another one if it might not work.

Perhaps I will go junk yard shopping and might get lucky . They go pretty cheap in the local yards.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Topcat,

I just went to my vehiocle to check the light since I had never paid any attention to it. Mine is amber in color. I would suggest that you buy the same kind as the one mentioned in the thread. That is what I did and had no problems whatsoever. Good luck.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Tried it again today, after clearing the codes out (by holding the two outer buttons until it flashes), then using my larger handheld remote (which stays on steady as long as you hold the button) - still won't program. ARGH!!!

So who in this thread has red lights on theirs, and who in this thread has amber lights on their HomeLink? And what brand of grgare door opener? Is it a rolling code or not?

Who has been successful, and who has had problems?

Let's get together and see if we can figure the details out so nobody else gets screwed buying the wrong module for their setup...
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
O.K., I was just reading in my garage door opener manual to retype the info here, because I *know* my opener is HomeLink compatible, and I figured out what I was doing wrong... whoohoo!

My handheld transmitters have two settings - 315MHz and 390MHz. In the manual, it says to switch the transmitter to 390MHz to program the HomeLink module. I had done that with my smaller keychain transmitter, but I had forgotten to make that switch when I tried programming the HomeLink with my larger, visor-mounted transmitter. I made the switch to 390MHz, and it programmed the HomeLink almost IMMEDIATELY.

I then pressed the 'Learn' button on my garage door openers and 'taught' it and the HomeLink to play nicely together.

One thing I noticed is that when I use the HomeLink, I have to hold the button for a couple seconds before the door responds and begins moving.

THANK YOU for your help!

I'll still write in the instructions so maybe somebody else can find their solution more easily.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 04-14-2007).]

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Garage Door Opener Info

Overhead Door PowerMax XL

(from the manual)
Your garage door opener (GDO) features a unique dual frequency remote control system for reliable service in today's crowded airwaves. Overcrowded airwaves may intermittently interfere with GDO's remote control system. The dual frequency feature greatly reduces the possibility of unwanted interference.

The receiver in the GDO's powerhead can receive signals set at 315 and 390 MHz. The remote is factory set at 315 MHz.

Switch your remote control frequency when:

• Remote does not have adequate range.
  • Remote works inconsistently with fresh battery.
  • Programming your car's HomeLink system.

To program a HomeLink device:
(This GDO is HomeLink compatible.)
  • Use a small flat screwdriver to switch the frequency selector to 390 MHz.
  • Follow the HomeLink instructions in your car owner's manual.
  • Reset the remote frequency to 315 MHz for everyday use.

------------------

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
HomeLink Programming Info:

Cadillac HomeLink module (black rectangular three-button module with amber light)

(Note - unplug the power to your garage door opener before beginning this programming sequence to avoid motor burnout or other damage to powerhead or door mechanism.)

(from the General Motors Service/Parts Operations book)

If you have previously trained a channel on the Cadillac Universal Transmitter, proceed to Step 2.

1. Hold down the two outside buttons on the Cadillac Universal Transmitter until the light begins to flash, then release the buttons. This procedure initializes the memory and erases any previous settings on all three channels.

2. Decide which one of the three channels you want to program.

3. Hold the end of your hand-held transmitter and the Cadillac Universal Transmitter so that you can still see the light on the Cadillac Universal Transmitter.

4. Using both hands, push the hand-held transmitter button and the desired button on the Cadillac Universal Transmitter. Continue to hold both buttons through Step 5.

5. Hold down both buttons until you see the light on the Cadillac Universal Transmitter flash, first slowly and then rapidly. The rapid flashing could take up to a minute or more to start. It indicates that you have successfully programmed the Cadillac Universal Transmitter to adopt the new frequency signal. Release both buttons once the rapid flashing begins.

If you have difficulty programming your Cadillac Universal Transmitter, your Cadillac dealer can assist you or you can call toll-free for assistance: 1-800-355-3515.

EDIT - don't forget to plug the power back into your garage door opener if you unplugged it before programming.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
(continued)
If the hand-held transmitter appears to program the universal transmitter but does not open your garage door, and if the garage door opener was manufactured after 1995, the garage door opener may have a 'rolling code' system. A rolling code system changes the code of the garage door opener every time you open or close the garage door.

Rolling Code Transmitter Determination: Press the button on the universal transmitter that you have programmed already. If the light on the universal transmitter flashes rapidly for one or two seconds and then stops flashing, the garage door opener has a rolling code system. In a rolling code system, the garage door opener receiver must be trained to the universal transmitter.

Training a Garage Door Opener with "Rolling Codes" (if equipped):
1. Locate the training button on the garage door opener receiver. If you have difficulty locating the training button, refer to your garage door opener manual.

2. Press the training button on the garage door opener receiver for one or two seconds. A light indicator will begin to flash when the receiver enters the 'train' mode.

3. Return to the universal transmitter in your vehicle and press the button you have already programmed for two to three seconds and release. Press the button again for two to three seconds to make sure that the universal transmitter has completed the training process with the garage door opener receiver. Check that the training was successful - your universal transmitter should now activate the garage door opener, and the garage door opener receiver light should no longer be flashing.

------------------

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Originally posted by topcat:

I just read that the openers with the amber light are rolling code compatible, and the one with the red light are not. I have the one with a red light. I am not sure I wnat to spend money on another one if it might not work.

Perhaps I will go junk yard shopping and might get lucky . They go pretty cheap in the local yards.

Actually, the GM-printed instructions I have for the Cadillac system mention a red light, and it is rolling code compatible, so I think you're O.K. - I was concerned that perhaps the amber light indicated something different since I have an amber light and I was having problems. But I figured mine out and was successful.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
I am glad that you were able to get it fixed. Enjoy!
drumwzrd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drumwzrdSend a Private Message to drumwzrdDirect Link to This Post
Wow...a 2 month old thread taking up 2 pages on a garage door opener!! I have the fix for this.

$185.00 and.....two 3 button remotes !!!!!
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by drumwzrd:
$185.00 and.....two 3 button remotes !!!!!

So... what's your point?

drumwzrd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drumwzrdSend a Private Message to drumwzrdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Location of a garage door opener.

No wiring relocation required.

This is the point.....a 9 volt battery instead of rewiring your car for your garage.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock