Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  MFC Visit to: GM Heritage Center (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
MFC Visit to: GM Heritage Center by WingNut - MD
Started on: 09-16-2005 03:39 PM
Replies: 133
Last post by: ARKaiser on 12-14-2005 03:21 PM
gtjeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

This car doesn't match any of the concept convertible that I have ever seen before so I am not sure where it came from. Most likely Fred can shed more light on the topic.

Another couple of pictures of the mystery car with the Fiero dash.

(Fred doing what Fred does best.)

The black mystery car is the 2000 Chevy Tandem. It is mid-engine, 2 seater. However the seats are like a some jet fighters, a front seat and a back seat. This car was developed with many fiero parts and also some from Corvette and Camaro. GM has had this car for over 20 years, occasionally updating it. There is a press release on GM's website, look in the month of November 1999, the car was shown in Las Vegas at that years Sema show. The car only has a 2.0 engine.

[This message has been edited by gtjeff (edited 10-30-2005).]

IP: Logged
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Not to argue the facts, but how could GM have the Tandem for 20 years if it's a 2000? And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a SBC in the back? I guess I didn't look at the oil pan when I crawled under it. Looked like a modified Fiero cradle down there...

Bob

ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
The name of the car is the "Tandam 2000"

Check this site out.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/secret.html

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Just me rambling on the special event and day. I want to thank the Michigan Fiero Club for getting us in to this special place. I had a good time, got to see some interesting vehicles and meet some great people. Jason I hope you had a good time. Gozart Mozart how did your crazy schedule go? I made it home ok in the old car. Got over 38 MPG for the trip! Not bad for an 18 year old car with 114,000 miles. Better then some of those jap cars! Boy, Nobody drives slow on the intersate! I kept it at 70 (3500 RPM) on the way home. Old car and I don't know how bad the previous owners abused the car. Found a coolant leak when I got home. Looks like the belt tensioner is leaking. I thank the Lord for keeping the car together on the trip. Got home in time to take the wife to church. I used up all the memory in my camera taking pictures. I got to get a memory card so I can take lots of pictures! There were some mistery cars in back covered up. Some of them were Pontiacs! Any one know any history on them?

Quite a day I must say!

Thanks again Michigan Fiero Club.

Steve Williams

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-30-2005).]

gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffDirect Link to This Post

The name of the car is the "Tandam 2000"

Check this site out.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/secret.html

That is a copy of the GM press release on the car, good find. Motor Trend also had a picture of the car after the sema show. Tandem is the correct spelling though. If anyone saw what engine the car has now, please post the info.

[This message has been edited by gtjeff (edited 10-30-2005).]

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Just made it back to Indiana. Went to the Pontiac display at GM RC downtown after the Heritage Center got some great photos of new Pontiacs including Solstice. Notice a few minor ergonomic issues but overall impressed with the final design and have concluded I would reduce the Fiero fleet to own one but do have to admit I'd rather have the Buick Wildcat concept instead. Great outing! Thanks to Ken and all the Michiganders.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ken and all the MFC gang! Another great event! I'll be posting pics in a few days.

Originally posted by solotwo:
Gozart Mozart how did your crazy schedule go?

It was crazier than I thought it could have been. The time change didn't help any. Ask me when we meet again, some things just can't be said on the internet...

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Dan (G.M.) I waived at ya. I looked for you later but I think you had already left.

I did some re-sizeing this morning and here are a few of my favorite cars.

35 mile Corvair

Buick Wildcat

15th & 30th Anniv. T/A

Firebird I

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Firebird III

For some reason I did not get a shot of Firebird II. It is between I & III in the above photos.

Pontiac Banshee

Aurora V8

C5 Racing Vette

more...................later........................................

[This message has been edited by WingNut - MD (edited 10-31-2005).]

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
In regards to all the "Thank you's" to the Michigan Fiero Club. Ken does not get on here very much, but I will make sure he knows that this was appreciated! On behalf of the club we would like to say "THANK YOU" to all of those who came out and attended. It was a huge success, and it was a success because so many Fiero Fanatics came to the event. The Fiero community was very well represented at the tour, and IMO we made a nice impression on the folks at GM.

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I was so enamoured with all of the vehicles I did not think to look under the GT convertible to view how the underbody was re-inforced with the top missing for future reference. Did anyone else take a peek? One of my future projects may be a Roadster unless I just plain break down and buy a Solstice.
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Awesome photos guys! Wish I could've been there... especially for the Pontiac Banshee & The Corvette Indy (always really loved that design).
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
How about a few more pics???????..................any objections?

SSR

1955 Buick Century

1963 Corvette

Hiding in the back, a nice Yellow Camero

Early Olds (I think it was a 1917, not 100% sure)

edited to re-size above photo

[This message has been edited by WingNut - MD (edited 10-31-2005).]

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Another shot of the Tandem 2000

and the dash

Syclone & a Typhoon

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

This is the Targa Prototype that was at the 20th Anniversarry show in Pontiac, MI in 2003. (another MFC event!)

The tag on the fender has the only vin I coould see.

The vin is for an 86 SE but the car is clearly a GT. Also interesting is that I was told that vin wouldn't run in any of the vin history programes. (Thats what I was told but I can't verify that myself) I still haven't found any info on the origin of this car. It just dosn't match, but I'm not the historian others are.

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Rick,

I ran it thru a Fiero vin decoder. It was hard to decode the number from the picture, but here is what it came up with.

VIN Number: 1GZPF3798GP20349K
** Not a Pontiac! **
Fiero SE (Notchback) 2.8L HO V6
Manufactured in the USA by General Motors in Pontiac, MI.

Fiero 0349K of 83974 produced in 1986.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
This was one of the cars in the back that was undercover. It was the Pontiac Salsa Sport California.

One of the center people came up to me as I was uncovering this car and asked "Is that a Fiero?' And I replied "No." To which he replied "Then I think we should cover it back up then." He was very polite but I got the idea that some of the cars might be off limits. I saw what looked like a AWD Grand Prix. Some type of Caddy. Some type of open top Pontiac and a couple of others that I didn't get pictures of I that I can't recall right now.

This was on one of the designers desk. Not sure what it is but I want it.

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Obviously the vin does not end with a K. Rick anyway to get me the correct numbers? I

It makes sense that it is an SE from looking at the steering wheel, vs the 3 spoke GT wheel.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
The correct VIN is 1GP2PF3798GP205896. Vick wrote it down in case the picture didn't turn out.

I know what you mean about the interior but the backhalf of the car is a GT for sure. I wonder if this might not be a reworked version of the car that had the side flip engine cover?

[This message has been edited by ARKaiser (edited 10-31-2005).]

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

The correct VIN is 1GP2PF3798GP205896. Vick wrote it down in case the picture didn't turn out.

I know what you mean about the interior but the backhalf of the car is a GT for sure. I wonder if this might not be a reworked version of the car that had the side flip engine cover?

Hey Rick,

It looks like the 3rd degit (P) should omitted. I ran it without that P and got the below results.

VIN Number: 1G2PF3798GP205896
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE (Notchback) 2.8L HO V6
Manufactured in the USA by General Motors in Pontiac, MI.

Fiero 05896 of 83974 produced in 1986.

SD455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SD455Send a Private Message to SD455Direct Link to This Post
I would like to thank Ken and the rest of MFC, as well as all others who attended and made Jen and mines trip a very good time.
The trip to the Heritage Center was very interesting, I just wish we could have had more time. I would have liked to have been able to look in and under a few of the cars to see just what the underpinnings were made from.
The lunch at Dave & Busters was good and I got to meet and talk to a few of you. Who was the woman who drove the yellow '88 Formula? I'm sorry, but I didn't get your name. Very nice person, as were all that I had a chance to talk with.
The trip after to the Go Kart track was a blast! I thoroughly enjoyed (and could have probably blown my savings account) the spirited racing with Fred, Craig, Mary, Sue, Ron, Rick, Lou, Larry and Andrew.
On Sunday, when we headed back to WV, we took a different route back and caught the tail end of the Springfield Swap meet in Ohio. I ended up with a couple of neat pieces of Fiero literature.
Full line 1988 Pontiac press kit that includes color slides of all the cars offered in that year(two of the Fiero) as well as Black and white photo's and press releases. Also a copy of Salesmans literature Hot laps, hot news. This is a color brochure that highlights the sales strategy, major improvements from '85~'88 and price of Coupe, Formula and GT with different option packages as well as how they priced out versus the competion. I also got a copy of Pontiac Performance Plus. Its a Magazine from the Editors of Hot Rod magazine that details the construction of the engine to the fabrication of the chassis. Lists all component parts, numbers and aftermarket manufacturers. In the back is a foldout of an engineering drawing of the completed SD4.
Our car ran fine the trip up and back, and we really enjoyed it!
For those who didn't make it........the next time this opportunity is made availible, I hightly recommend it.

Jon

[This message has been edited by SD455 (edited 11-01-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Keep em coming guys, it amazes me to think of all of these one-of-a-kind and zero miles classics all in one place!
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
I want to thank everyone involved with making this past weekend one for my record book, I had a great time with everyone. Thanks again...

------------------
8T6 GT

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
more pics

Mako

Earnhardt

Harvick

Goat

Monte Carlo Prototype?

Caddy Race Car

[This message has been edited by WingNut - MD (edited 11-01-2005).]

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
a few more than off to work

XLR

Eldorado Prototype

Buick Prototype

Chevy Indy Motor

Corvair Motor

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
I have more pictures if everyone would like to see them? I tried to photgraph as many as possible to give those who could not make the event a virtual tour, but I don't want to overload with non-Fiero stuff either.
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gordo:

Keep em coming guys, it amazes me to think of all of these one-of-a-kind and zero miles classics all in one place!

repost

spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post

I wish I could have made it.

Nick

Edit: Hey Mark, could I possibly get all the photos from you via E-Mail or something? Let me know!!!

[This message has been edited by spud321x (edited 11-01-2005).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

Earnhardt

Monte Carlo Prototype?

I was lucky to get behind the wheels of both of these a few years back when GM had me display my car at the Parma stamping plants 50th anniversery.
It is nice they are both still around.

The red Mote was called the Imtiminator for Dale Sr. Too bad you did not get as good side shot as it has ghosted in on the side a silver 3 and sponsor names. You could see them in the right light only.

I wish I could have gone to see the collection. Thanks for the photo's!!!!!

The dash looked like how the stock Monte would look like but had Auto Meter gauges in place for the factory ones. It also ran a 300 HP V6.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Keep 'em coming WingNut..I'm going to try to get more up tonite..

Bob

SHADMAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SHADMANSend a Private Message to SHADMANDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to thank everyone that came out for our MFC GM Heritage Center event. It looks like everyone had a good time. I know I had a great time meeting everyone and talking Fiero's and all kinds of cars. Since it was such a big hit I will try to set up an other one. But be looking for our next event some time early next year a tour of the GM World Head Quarters at the Ren Cen in down town Detriot. Should be a good time.

Thanks again.

------------------
SHADMAN V.P. MFC
RED 1988 FIERO GT
NORTHSTAR 300 H.P.

[This message has been edited by SHADMAN (edited 11-01-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spud321x:

I wish I could have made it.

Nick

Edit: Hey Mark, could I possibly get all the photos from you via E-Mail or something? Let me know!!!

Nick they are on my photobucket site. http://photobucket.com/albums/v334/WingNutMD/GM%20Heritage%20Center/

If you'd like the high res, PM me your address and I'll send them to you on a CD.

Originally posted by SHADMAN:
I just wanted to thank everyone that came out for our MFC GM Heritage Center event. It looks like everyone had a good time. I know I had a great time meeting everyone and talking Fiero's and all kinds of cars. Since it was such a big hit I will try to set up an other one. But be looking for our next event some time early next year a tour of the GM World Head Quarters at the Ren Cen in down town Detriot. Should be a good time.

Thanks again.

Shadman,

Thanks again or all your efforts in getting this tour accomplished! Glad to see you posting here on PFF.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
I should be posting some of my pics Thursday. It's cool that even thought we saw the same cars, everyone has different angles to add.

Originally posted by SHADMAN:

But be looking for our next event some time early next year a tour of the GM World Head Quarters at the Ren Cen in down town Detriot. Should be a good time.

Imagine: all prototypes with a few modern cars GM owns (Opel GT, Solstice, Sky, ZO6) with a few very nice privately owned sitting around GM World.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
Just a couple more

I fell in love with this one again after all these years since I first saw her.

Olds Siluette (sp?)

Another Chevy that I missed the name of.

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post

ARKaiser

1305 posts
Member since Feb 2003

These car for me define a era that was like none other.

And to bring this back on the Fiero track...

Hey Ken nice to have you join us. We just can't find the words to thank you for setting this up.

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
more to whet the appetite:

How about some mid-engine maddness?

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
..........................................................more

Steering wheel from 15th Anniv. T/A ( looks familiar)

1902 Oldsmobile Race Car (Replica)

Corvair Prototype

Row of Oldsmobiles

Pontiac Tampest (forgot the year)

Buick GNX

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
And more:
Wildcat:

Not sure the name, but I think my boys have a Hotwheels version:

(PS I really loved this thing, too bad they couldn't open it up)

PIP is only giving me four, so maybe more later...

Bob

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
and a few from the wife's collection...

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post

ARKaiser

1305 posts
Member since Feb 2003

I just noticed how fuzzy these look here. They aren't that bad on my pc. Oh well.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock