Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) by Alex4mula
Started on: 10-07-2004 03:36 PM
Replies: 283
Last post by: Alex4mula on 07-27-2005 03:26 PM
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
I will be at Tower Shops this Friday and I will have the elbow and K/N filter with me.
If you can't make it call me or PM me or you can just respond here .
IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Clem; I can stop by when I leave work at 5:00PM. I'm at Sunrise and University so it should be a 5-10 min drive.

Running lean will generate more heat. Hopefully bu the end of this week I may have the stock TPS on and I'll be able to tune it better with the A/F meter. I'm kind of getting use to the deep loud exhaust note

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Great job Alex. It looks fantastic.

Question, though... Why bring the TPS sensor up straight and not leave it going out the front? If there is an interference problem, why not make a pigtail that's soldered to the TPS pins? That should give you clearance.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Great job Alex. It looks fantastic.

Question, though... Why bring the TPS sensor up straight and not leave it going out the front? If there is an interference problem, why not make a pigtail that's soldered to the TPS pins? That should give you clearance.

At least on 88s the stock TPI TPS points forward and the shock tower is in the way. Someone here suggested using the 4 cyl Fiero TPS which I tried. Problem is that it is still too tall for a coupe grill and also for some reason (maybe because it is not an A/C Delco) it is not reading as it should (.5-4.5++V). This is a very critical sensor so I need it to work right. So now I will try to mod it as shown in the first picture on this thread; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-030342.html

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Alex: Will the sensor clear without the connector plugged in? From this pic, it looks like it does:

If it does, all you need to do is make a pigtail that has the wires soldered directly to the sensor pins. Silicone the end to seal it. The pigtail will connect to the existing connector.

Good luck...

Bob

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Look closely at that picture. That area in front of the TPS has been cut a big shunk. Also that's a Zumalt kit (if I remember correctly, CalKid car?) which gives more clearance in that area (adapter plate is thinner). This is the clearance I have in my car in that area;

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Eww... That's pretty tight. Sorry, no more ideas here. Looks like moving the TPS is the only real choice. You might want to check the resistance value of that 4cyl TPS. There's no real reason why it only goes 1/2 way unless the value is different, or the travel is different. It is looking real good, though. Even if you did take the Tin man's arm.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Final update. I have been so unlucky these days but everything has been resolved. The other night during a test drive I start hearing this ticking metal jumping noise. A rocker arm got loose and damaged the pushrod while bending the lifter retainer metal spring. We had to do a heart bypass surgery thru the belly button in order to avoid to take the whole intake off but we were successful and were able to fix the metal spring to hold the retainer. Then when I went out for a test drive and to the auto parts the shifter suddenly stopped working. I had to put manually the car in 2nd and drive 3-4 miles home like that. The selector cable broke. Went out to buy parts at auto parts and got a traffic citation Then after fixing the cable that night I took the car for another test drive and the shifter cable pin (at the tranny) came loose and the cable got disconnected. At least that was an easy one. Oh well...
The good thing is I received the LM-1 and started working on the A/F ratio. It was running at 25! Adjusted the injector base pulse constant and took it to around 14 when my neighbor came complaining about the noise It was 10:00 PM and didn't like my nice exhaust note. Anyway, this tool is a must in order to properly tune a moded injected engine. Soon this baby will run as smooth as a Lexus
Hulk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, I'm planning the same swap into my '86. Now I know who the Subject Matter Expert is!!!
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Drove the car tonight again. Now with correct (for current situation) A/F ratio it is much more (80%) smoother and better daily driver candidate. Now for the "fine" tunning using the BLM, etc. Thank God I didn't have any issue while driving this time. Exhaust note is very sweet
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Drove the car tonight again. Now with correct (for current situation) A/F ratio it is much more (80%) smoother and better daily driver candidate. Now for the "fine" tunning using the BLM, etc. Thank God I didn't have any issue while driving this time. Exhaust note is very sweet

Saw your post in the mall, why do you need a tranny?

PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Look closely at that picture. That area in front of the TPS has been cut a big shunk. Also that's a Zumalt kit (if I remember correctly, CalKid car?) which gives more clearance in that area (adapter plate is thinner). This is the clearance I have in my car in that area;

You are correct, I'm running a modified Zumalt Kit, placing the engine further to the left.

I've seen a vertically mounted TPS that will get you more clearance without doing severe surgery to the shock tower, believe Archie would have the details on this sensor.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2005 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay Alex your vacation is over and you should be back from Mexico by now sooooooooo?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2005 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ja! I was lucky to see this today. My wife is in the hospital (Pleurisy) and I just took a glance here. My tranny was bad (diff. bearings) before the swap and I didn't know. I thought it was the release bearing. Finally broke into pieces and made a nice black line from the entrance of my development to near my house. Now I can tell people visiting for first time to just follow the black line I'm still trying to locate a local Getrag but has been unsuccessful
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by California Kid:

You are correct, I'm running a modified Zumalt Kit, placing the engine further to the left.

I've seen a vertically mounted TPS that will get you more clearance without doing severe surgery to the shock tower, believe Archie would have the details on this sensor.

I just did that Still need to work the linkage a little better but it is working.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
How about an up-date on your wife, the car can wait. Is she getting better?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2005 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
I have learned so much from this thread.
I hope your wife is feeling better!
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
B
U
M
P
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. She's fine. Fiero is not. Tranny broke from inside out into the clutch area. If you see it from front it has a circle lid about 3" dia. It has a bearing there and it popped the lid out and damaged the new Spec pressure plate and spilled tranny oil too. So the disc may be waster too I'll post pictures later. I may try another clutch company. Didn't like the chatter of the Stage III. Will see. Need to decide soon. Time is running out...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear that. Please take some pics, if you can so we can get some failure analysis. It might help future swaps.
Glad to here the wife is doing better, though!!

If you're running a basically stock L98, Archie's Centerforce clutch might be a good alternative to the Spec.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
John his L98 is probably putting out 50 MORE H.P. than my LT1 that you drove last year or so.

Hey Alex, it was nice to see you, Lou and Frank at the Hot Rod Sunday Show. I did real good in the car show picking up an award for BEST G.M. I won a plaque which was nice but the shirt they gave to first place winners says--Hot Rod Sunday---Class Winner.

[This message has been edited by LT188GT (edited 02-06-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! You have a very nice and clean GT
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

John his L98 is probably putting out 50 MORE H.P. than my LT1 that you drove last year or so.

Well, that would be different, now wouldn't it.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Here is what could happen to a nice new clutch if your tranny explodes in the wrong place. Originally I thought this tranny was fine and what was bad was the clutch release bearing as the symptom/sound was the same as it did before for me. When I took my 1st V8 test drive I got the terrible news Sound was still there with new clutch. Problem was tranny. I drove the car near 500 miles because I wanted to break in the engine and one day coming from work all these terrible sounds started to come from back there. Finally about 1/10 mile from home it broke and spilled all the fluid making a very nice black line from the entrance of my development to my home. Now I tell people to just follow the black line when they need my address
Here is where the tranny broke and all that nice material went into the clutch area. The lid covering that was between the clutch, the housing and the fork. Ugly.

The pressure plate may be reused but I will just get another one. The flywheel got some dings but I resurfaced it and rebalanced it. Actually the balance was fine.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Now this is the flywheel side of the clutch disc. Do you see something wrong?? It was wearing only on the top part.
We measured the pads and the part that wore is actually lower than the part that didn't. Yes we measured correctly. What the f&^&$? Sounds weird eh? Our theory is that the brand new Centerforce flywheel was not flat and that as it goes away from the center the plane was higher. I don't know how they cut these but if they do from center out then the tool was wearing out. Now I see a debate between what was really wrong, the new flywheel or the new clutch

After assembly and running the engine I had this little oil leak that accumulated at the edge of the heads and the block. I was puzzled of where the hell this oil was coming from. I took the engine back to the builder and he couldn't find anything wrong. Out theory was that maybe it was leaking from the intake manifold and going thru the crack between the head and block all the way down. I took the intake off and this is what I found. It seems it didn't seal well there and slowly the iol dripped down the head crevice and finally to the floor....

87gt5speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87gt5speedSend a Private Message to 87gt5speedDirect Link to This Post
awesome thread, cant wait to start my tpi project....just need $....loooooots of $

------------------
---"Didn't those catch fire?"---
---"Why didn't you get an MR2?"---
---"The engine is WHERE?"---
---Liking Fieros is a lonely business---

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i would like to see a picture of the pressure plate side of the clutch. i also had an issue with a spec clutch. the center hub stuck out too far and hit the center of the throw out bearing instead of the outer part that pushes on the pressure plate. they did send a new disk for free and never asked for the old one back.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing wrong with the other side. Beleive me. Tranny failure has nothing to do with it either.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
More little problems keep coming. I found out that the front tranny mount was loose and missing one bolt I guess that's why my engine was rocking more than 1/4". Took the mount off (to replace with Rodney's) and found out that the cradle is cracked in that area. I know it is a known problem. Now to deal with it
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Here are the pics. What't the best fix for this?

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
I had some cracks in the same place, similar to the first pic. I welded them and ground the welds smooth and then re-painted. The biggest crack I had was only about an inch, though.
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
My roommate, GSXRBOBBY, made a mount for his car. But can't use it because he needs to relocate the front crossmember. It uses a rubber mount for a full size Chevy trans. 4X4, part #2638
If you want to try it, PM me your address and I can send it to you.

Steel mount, kinda rough looking.

Rubber mount pic
[imghttps://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/43943_2.jpg[i/img]

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA
  • ZZ3 HSR, 345hp, 390lb-ft. Est to be done one of these days.
  • V8 buildup thread
  • My Shower Cam
  • At mile 20 I thought I was dead At mile 22 I wished I was dead At mile 24 I knew I was dead At mile 26.2 I realized I had become too tough to kill
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Well you can drill a hole in the end of the crack then take a grinder and open it up.
Weld it then grind smooth. I would also weld on a plate to help distribute the load.
If thats your weak point then its going to crack again.
I hope to avoid this by not leting my motor move on the cradle, thus not letting it load up every time and cause those stress cracks.
Solid mounts will be used on motor and tranny.
I also dont plan on driving the car every day so if its a little harsh I wont mind.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 02-13-2005).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 1/4" plate to copy the pattern and weld it underneath the area. That should fix that one for good. I'll weld the cracks on the top too. At least at the end this will be a better install. Hope to be ready by Daytona. Still so many little things to fix and do and only three available work weekends before it
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I bought a 1/4" plate to copy the pattern and weld it underneath the area. That should fix that one for good. I'll weld the cracks on the top too. At least at the end this will be a better install. Hope to be ready by Daytona. Still so many little things to fix and do and only three available work weekends before it

That should do it.
Do drill a hole in the end of the cracks before you weld them. That will stop the crack from getting longer.
I had to start driving my GT so I wont be starting the V8 swap as soon as I want.
Cant wait to see your car at Daytona, you going to be there all weekend?

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Alex,

I just had to say... That is FUUUUUGLY!!!

Hope you get it repaired soon.
Roy

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Tranny sholdn't take longer than two more weeks I hope.

Jake, Yes I'll be there from Friday afternoon until Sunday

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Shifting yet?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Some updates. I have lots of more pics. Just don't have time to post. Finally got a tranny. It was completely rebuilt. Fixed a small oil leak, reinforced the front tranny mount area and powder coated more parts. I got new poly tranny mounts from Rodney. This is where the problems started. For some reason when I placed the tranny/engine combo back on the cradle the front tranny mount didn't aligned It was off by about 1/2" center to center. After some big wiggling we were able to fit it but mount needed to be pushed with a big C clamp to make the holes align. When I put the cradle back in the car the TB clearances got screwed up because the engine moved a little towards the trunk. So now I'm reworking the shock tower again to gain clearance. The TB intake rubber elbow will not fit. I have about 1/4" between TB snout and shock tower. I redesigned the TPS bracket because it was on top of the shock tower too. All this is consuming much needed time for other items. Also the car is overheating pretty bad. Still need to trouble shoot that. Also with the new clutch the pedal is very loose. It engages in gear with engine running but not smoothly. Another area to troubleshoot Then I still need to cut more the trunk lid, install new pads, recharge A/C, etc. etc. and drive/debug car. Hope I can make it to Daytona with this car.....
Soelasca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoelascaClick Here to visit Soelasca's HomePageSend a Private Message to SoelascaDirect Link to This Post
Great thread so far Alex. I've only read page 2 and 6 .
I had a similar problem with my poly mounts from WCF. It seems they were a little out and changed the whole alignment of the engine/tranny. I actually had to egg out the rear tranny mount holes and slide it over an eighth of an inch to get the proper dimensions.

Your thread has made it to my favorites. I'll probably be PMing you to ask a few specifics later on.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock