Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar by Will
Started on: 01-08-2004 11:41 PM
Replies: 339
Last post by: Will on 05-27-2005 08:47 PM
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:
The funny part is I am the one that put this all together and pushed for a few things including bolts, but yet I didn't get the install bolts!

DOHHH!!! what's up with that!?!

Originally posted by THE BEAST:
The flywheel is very light, but the pressure plate was very heavy, I was wondering if was possible to get the pressure plate in a lighter version?

James.

It is an option. Nashco ordered one but got the wrong one. He should get the correct one pretty soon and then you can find out for sure how much it weighs. and then you can decide if it is worth the extra money. your flywheel is much lighter than stock so you will probably see most of your performance gains per dollar there.

IP: Logged
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2005 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
By the way, I did find a guy that joined in on the buy from Spec, he is a member of the Ottawa Fiero Forum and is running the aluminum flywheel with a stage 3 clutch. He didn't give any feedback on it but I did ask him and will let you know what he says.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Just to let you know the guy from the other forum I told you about wrote me this morning:

"I know you have been interested in Spec's aluminum flywheel and my
progress with it. (I am on the ottawa forum) Well it works great I think
I am the first to have actually used it. I drove the car yesterday for
the first time. The Clutch is a wee bit touchy , but to be expected.
Very Fast and loud!"

Just thought I would pass this along to you guys.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

Nashco

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
My saga continues...still trying to get the lightweight pressure plate from David at Spec. It has been low priority for me because I don't have an engine yet, so I haven't been pushing it too hard, but he has been very unresponsive over the last few months. Did anybody ever get the lightweight pressure plate? I'm wondering if I should just give up and use the standard stuff.

Bryce
88 GT

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Lay the smack down on a brotha...
Have you been trying via email or phone?
They've ALWAYS been unresponsive to emails. You need to be on the phone there, apparently.

Are you going to the Fiero Factory swap meet? SPEC is only about 2 hours away from there...

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Lay the smack down on a brotha...
Have you been trying via email or phone?
They've ALWAYS been unresponsive to emails. You need to be on the phone there, apparently.

Are you going to the Fiero Factory swap meet? SPEC is only about 2 hours away from there...

Name a communication method and I've tried it...barring pigeons. Emails, written communication, voicemail...the only time I've EVER been able to get in touch with him is if I call and he happens to be standing next to the desk or answer the phone (which is very rare). I'm sure he's a busy guy, but I'm about to be done with it if I can't get a hold of him soon.

No, I'm not going to Alabama anytime soon. I used to live about an hour away from SPEC, and I still have friends in the area...if that's what it comes to. With an age with such ease of communication, you wouldn't think it would take that to get a hold of somebody!

Bryce
88 GT

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Think we could get 20 guys to come down from Ed Parks' swap meet pick up your pressure plate personally?
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Well, new development on the western front...there was apparently some mix up in shipping addresses. If things go the way David said they would on the phone today, I should have the new pressure plate in the mail very soon. Here's to wishful thinking!

Bryce
88 GT

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I talked to him today about a Fiero 5 speed Getrag clutch for a SBC motor, I was going to ask him about this and forgot, don't worry it took 3 days for us to talk and I bugged him "his office to get that far.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 04-19-2005).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The flywheel for a Chevy is a bit more complicated, due to the adapter plate and the crank flange sticking out the back of the block. It doesn't have the same stack height as a FWD flywheel.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Will I am sorry I was half asleep when when I wrote that, I ment clutch not flywheel.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Well, after months of waiting, several very specific phone calls, and a very specific letter that was sent back with the last clutch....SPEC still considers a good lightweight pressure plate option to have a cast friction surface with holes drilled into it. When I talked with David the last three times on the phone he explained that the last one I got was a mix up, and it should have a billet friction plate that is machined to have less material than the cast and have speed holes, er, cross drilled holes in it to reduce weight. Again I have received a drilled cast piece, which I don't consider safe OR beneficial. Perhaps the .4 lbs will make a difference, but I don't consider it worth the risk if it does, I'm just not that confident in a cast piece with holes drilled in it at 8k rpm.

So, I should be getting a call from David on Monday, it looks like I'm just going to give up on the lightweight assembly. I would recommend anyone interested in it do the same.

Bryce
88 GT

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Well suck...
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear things didn't work out as hoped!!! Its Will's fault, he started this thread....hahaha

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

cunninghamsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cunninghamseanSend a Private Message to cunninghamseanDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your problems. I got tired of waiting so I just used the CHRFAB flywheel with a quarter inch spacer between the engine and transmission.

Sean

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
For anybody interested in the lightweight pressure plate, I have received an email from David Norton explaining the lightweight pressure plate:

I never said our unit was billet. We do not make a billet plate for the Fiero. We were machining the casting marks off the edges off the plates. I think that must have been the misunderstanding. We have been using those plates up to 9.5K rpm in solid form and 8.5K rpm in lightweight form with no issues. They are not half ass pressure plate, but high ductile steel castings. I approved this plate before it left to be sure it had the holes and the fulcrum and fulcrum side were machined properly. There is no concern with that plate.

If you ask me, that's a bunch of crap. First of all nowhere did it say the rpm limit is lower with the lightweight option, or I would have never got it. Secondly, if he never told me that it's supposed to be billet, why would we have gone through the trouble shipping two of them back already? He even replied my email with pictures before saying "that does not look like a lightweight unit" because it was CAST. I feel that a machined billet plate would not be half assed, although the cast piece with speed holes is half assed.

So yeah, I'll be shipping this one back (third time's a charm, right?) and getting the standard unit back...which is what I received the very first time (with the improperly manufactured flywheel), but returned because I was supposed to get a lightweight unit and the flywheel was wrong!!! Ugh...months of waiting for nill. Oh well.

Bryce
88 GT

AYRN

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2005 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AYRNSend a Private Message to AYRNDirect Link to This Post
You guys do a lot of Talking about the Spec Flywheel , has anyone other than J.McCreery in Canada actually used it? I drove his car 2 weeks ago and the thing revs like a motorcycle!! I think he used to be on this forum

AYRN

All you really need!

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AYRN:

You guys do a lot of Talking about the Spec Flywheel , has anyone other than J.McCreery in Canada actually used it? I drove his car 2 weeks ago and the thing revs like a motorcycle!! I think he used to be on this forum

AYRN

All you really need!

good question...

mine is still bolted to the back of my aurora just waiting for my lazy butt to finish it...

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I believe that THE BEAST has one, but his car hasn't run yet either.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14228 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by AYRN:

In a recent email to me, he said that his car drives like "a pit bull with rabies".
No real reason another car equipped with the SPEC hardware should be any different. With a stock engine, the Holley won't give him any more power than a stock tune.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock