Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar by Will
Started on: 01-08-2004 11:41 PM
Replies: 339
Last post by: Will on 05-27-2005 08:47 PM
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I'm ready, anyone else?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net
Nextel 2 way is 111*32*19163

IP: Logged
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I was told 2 weeks and we should be good to go?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
Nextel 2 way is 111*32*19163

Patrick Horne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick HorneSend a Private Message to Patrick HorneDirect Link to This Post
If you can get a specific date on when you're placing the order, that'd be great. I'm going out of the country for a couple of weeks, so I'd hate to say that I'm able to do it and then not be available to place the order. Just give me an idea when you're wanting to get everything going.

Also, what's the total on the entire thing? Roughly $750, wasn't it?

My email address is phorne_tca@yahoo.com. Shoot me an email so I can give a yes or no before you place the order.

Thanks

------------------
Patrick Horne

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
ahh kewl.. post i needed to locate.
I have a flywheel already setup for a 3800SC swap but the motor is now going in my auto car. And my northstar is getting the getrag. What would it take to have them convert the flywheel over for N* use? Thanks
Also have the stage 3 setup.

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DjDraggin:

ahh kewl.. post i needed to locate.
I have a flywheel already setup for a 3800SC swap but the motor is now going in my auto car. And my northstar is getting the getrag. What would it take to have them convert the flywheel over for N* use? Thanks
Also have the stage 3 setup.

You already have an aluminum flywheel for a 3800? Modifying it for a Northstar would not be the best course of action. I'm sure someone in the 3800 community would buy it however.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14228 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Ok, going back through the thread, here's the list of people who want to be in on it. I'm going to have to sit this one out, regrettably.

GSXR Bobby
86 Fiero GT
bushroot
Slammed Fiero
Patrick Horne
DPWood (?)
DjDraggin (flywheel only?)

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

cunninghamsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cunninghamseanSend a Private Message to cunninghamseanDirect Link to This Post
Any word on the final price for just the flywheel? I already have a brand new clutch from spec.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Just found this thread today, I am interested in total price of clutch setup as well. Anyone here see th N* car at Ed and Rosies this year?
bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
any news?
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have sent him an e-mail everyday since Sat. and he hasn't wrote me back. I also sent one to the general sales e-mail address tonight telling them I was getting alittle upset with the service we where getting. I mean come on we are talking $299 for the clutch "for those who are getting one" And $300 to $350 for the flywheel times a half dozen. Plus they said they were going to keep the specs on file for others and replacements. The are about to loss my business if we don't have something going on by the weekend!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2004 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
After alot of e-mails I was able to talk with David today and he said they are working on them this week, they should have things setup so we can each call and order them from Spec. He said he would look into it and write me back today, they close in a hour so we'll see. I will update this as soon as I hear anything.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I got an e-mail back from David at Spec and the Flywheel program should be done Friday, he will let me know more soon is what he said, I would think they could have them within a week later.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Just incase Spec did not come through for us I talked with Ram clutches and worked out a deal with them or I should say I have almost worked out a deal. I have heard alot of good when it comes to Ram, Summit and Jegs both carry alot of what they carry, so we do have a back up plain. Here is a copy of the e-mails we traded:

I told him I would ask someone here about the ring gear, they have between 260 and 290 ft torq. and 275 to 300 hp. I have also asked him if we could all get together but each pay our own ways and have them shipped to each one of us. I will post what he has to say about that.

OK, let me ask a few more questions. Have you decided on a clutch and disc combo for this app? What kind of torque load are we looking at? Do you want the Fiero ring gear on this flywheel?

If you can purchase these flywheels in minimum quantities of 5 pieces we should be able to get you in the $350 neighborhood. I would like to quote you on the complete clutch system including pressure plate and disc. As for speed of production, if we had to make the units on a reorder basis it would usually be 2-3 weeks assuming no delays in acquiring material.

I would note that Spec does not produce their own flywheels, they are outsourcing these units and this may account for the delay. RAM manufactures all flywheels in house.

Mike
-----Original Message-----
From: The Speed Shop, Robert [mailto:thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 6:11 PM
To: Mike Norcia, RAM Clutches
Subject: Re: Looking for help

I drawing wouldn't really do much good, I can send a Cadillac flexplate. Cadillac doesn't have a man. transaxle. Do you feel you can make a better flywheel? Do you think you can beat there price? Can you have things set up where I can get a replacement within a few days or weeks if needed?
----- Original Message -----
To: The Speed Shop, Robert
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: RE: Looking for help

Do you have a drawing you can send me?
M

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 2:03 PM
To: Mike Norcia, RAM Clutches
Subject: Re: Looking for help

I need six to nine of them at this time, but will need them in the future. I talked with Spec clutches and they said they would do it for $350 but they have been taking along time to have them done.
----- Original Message -----
To: The Speed Shop, Robert
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 6:40 AM
Subject: RE: Looking for help

We're not really set up for single item special orders - I would guesstimate this to cost around $800-1000 to make one unit and a lead time of 8-12 weeks...

Mike
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 7:36 PM
To: tech@ramclutches.com
Subject: Looking for help

I have an 86 Fiero with a Getrag 5 speed transaxle, I am putting in a 93 Cadillac Northstar 4.6 L V-8. The Cadillac doesn't have a man. trans. so I am looking for a place to make a flywheel from a flexplate and a matching clutch. Can you help me with this?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Robert - I would need to set you up as the account, I could not do them on individual basis.

So basically, you have not made any decisions on the clutch for this app? Has the engine swap been done before successfully?

Mike

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Just tell him that we need a V6 Fiero flywheel with the Northstar bolt pattern and center bore.
Better upgrade the torque requirements to 400 ftlbs.

A heads/cams Northstar will put out more than 350 ftlbs and we need (or at least I need) the clutch to be pretty robust and abusable. I guess the RAM flywheels will be aluminum as well?

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Yes alum. and I just sent that info to him.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have been tring all week to get ahold of him and no luck, I am going to give him just a few more days and then I am going to forget about Spec, does everyone still want them that was posted before, I'm sure we would get a better deal with more than just a couple of us!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Bud Adelman at Bud's Outback ( www.gr8grip.com ) sells Greg Duncan's Chromoly flywheels... When I was talking to him about my differential he tried to sell me one for the Northstar. They're about $100 more expensive than the SPEC fylwheels, but they'd at least be available. If there's anything that Bud does well, it's talk, so you wouldn't have ANY trouble getting a hold of him...

------------------

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post06-10-2004 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
You don't want a chroMo flywheel.

Originally posted by Will:

Bud Adelman at Bud's Outback ( www.gr8grip.com ) sells Greg Duncan's Chromoly flywheels... When I was talking to him about my differential he tried to sell me one for the Northstar. They're about $100 more expensive than the SPEC fylwheels, but they'd at least be available. If there's anything that Bud does well, it's talk, so you wouldn't have ANY trouble getting a hold of him...

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2004 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
He finally wrote back today and here is what he said:
They are turned off the cnc lathe and waiting for the previous run to finish on the cnc mill. That run will finish next week. It will take 1-2 days to verify the first run and assemble w/ ring gear and go through QC.

I need to know how many you have orders for and need for you to fax them over to be processed. Otherwise, when it comes time to assemble, they will be put on hold if there is no order or order quantity waiting.

The more you sell the better pricing will be.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
I sent everyone but 86 Fiero GT a PM, I could find his PM. So anybody wanting in on this buy I would like to know soon, please e-mail me with your info.:
Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone #
If you are buying the flywheel and clutch or just the flywheel?
How you are going to pay.
"I am not going to collect any money or take a payment, I am just getting things set up for all of us to get a better deal"!

I was told it is going to be $299.99 for the stage 3 clutch plus shipping and the price is going to be around $300 to 350 for the flywheel, I will get it as low as possible since we have had to wait so long.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
As much as I want the whole combination, I am uncertain now that I will be able to use the flywheel with the WFC racing trans. I am planning on purchasing one when they become available for my power needs. If I can use the a fiero flywheel with that transmission, please let me know and I will still order one.

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
The flywheel should still be able to be used without any trouble, you just may need a different clutch. Again I'm not really sure about that, the only reason I can think that it will not work is the thinkness of the flywheel, the bolt pattern is still going to be N* and so is the out size of the flywheel.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Again guys I need to have the list to him soon so if you want in write me soon, even if your undesided or want them shortly down the road.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2004 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if these guys are not reading this or if they are no longer wanting or needing the flywheels but I need to get a list of names to this guy soon. Last I knew these guys wanted them:
86 Fiero GT
bushroot
Slammed Fiero
Patrick Horne
DPWood
DjDraggin

If anybody talks with them please pass on that we need to get things going very soon.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
GSXRBOBBY,

email sent. thanks for your help

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Did you get an answer from David, or ask these guys they may know?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I just got your email. storms in New York delayed the flight to Vegas and we arrived at 3:00am PDT. so i have to sleep a bit and when I get up try to call David. that should be around 11 am.

does anyone know if the spec 3 clutch will work with an isuzu trany? thx

Nashco

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Lucky for me this has taken so long I can now afford it! I'm in, email is on the way with contact info.

Bryce
88 GT

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I got the e-mail, I am going to be talking with David when he returns from lunch today. I will ask as many questions as I can. I will let you all know whats going on, I am going to be sending in the info "our names" to him this weekend. If anyone else wants in e-mail me ASAP, it looks like we may have 6-7 guys jumping in at this point.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Will,

Count me in. I have a Northstar project sitting on the garage floor just waiting for this flywheel.

email on the way.

PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Todd, e-mail me I have the newer list going on.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Ok, i am in for sure. I talked to David and he says they have the clutch setup for any of the fiero's made. let me know if you need more info or how to pay...
thanks
ps: he said something about making 10 flywheels on the first run...
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Right now we have Paul, Chris, Patrick, Charles, Bryce, and myself. I am waiting to get Toddsters info. and we are good to go.
Anyone else its not to late to get in on these deal, I am going to send the list to him Sunday afternoon. The flywheels should again as I was told be good to go in 3 to 4 weeks at the latest and that is when payment will be due to them, they will be shipped to you from them.
Looking forward to getting my project going, this is the one thing holding back.

By the way I need to thank Will for helping us get this started. he was the guy to tell me about them!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2004 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
bump
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
TTT
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Not much longer now I would have to guess, I will write him this Friday if I haven't heard from him.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the feedback. i am just keeping this near the top so it is easier to find...

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 06-29-2004).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
another lift to the top
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have e-mailed him just waiting for him to respond.

Most of you know that I am tring to work with Spec Clutches tring to get a flywheel made to fit on the Northstar and I have 5 to 6 others wanting in on getting one made. However it seems that Spec is giving me the run around! I have been talking with Centerforce and Ram Clutches and they seem they can get the job done and they say they can build a better set up?
Any input?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors