Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar by Will
Started on: 01-08-2004 11:41 PM
Replies: 339
Last post by: Will on 05-27-2005 08:47 PM
HarryG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.aluminumflywheels.com/
IP: Logged
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I wish i had something to offer. i felt pretty good about what david said regarding this setup. too bad its not a priority for them. since i have never purchased anything other than oem stuff for clutches and flywheels I don't know what to think of the other companies. It would be nice if we had some kind of guarantee for the flywheels in case they don't fit.

thanks for the update though.

charlie

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Most of you know that I am tring to work with Spec Clutches tring to get a flywheel made to fit on the Northstar and I have 5 to 6 others wanting in on getting one made. However it seems that Spec is giving me the run around! I have been talking with Centerforce and Ram Clutches and they seem they can get the job done and they say they can build a better set up?
Any input?

Of course CF and RAM are going to say they can do a better job than SPEC. CF will also tell you they can do a better job than RAM and vice versa. And SPEC will tell you that CF and RAM are junk.

What I do know is that the CF DF201502 clutch (Archie clutch) is barely adequate for my driving style.
On a couple of occasions, I've messed up launches and gone to WOT too early. The engine free revved and the CF clutch COULD NOT get a hold of it, even after I brought my foot all the way off the clutch pedal. The only option was to back off the gas until the clutch hooked up. The clutch is barely adequate for the 300ish ftlbs of torque I have now. I would NOT want to try it with a heads/cams engine pushing 350 ftlbs.

Now CF and RAM may be able to make good flywheels, but I'm done with CF clutches. I've never tried a RAM clutch, but never heard anything special about them, either.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will, thats what I wanted to know!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I talked to spec today to see what they would tell me. David was on the phone when I called so another guy named Paul said he would ask what the status is. He came back on the phone and said the flywheel was "in development" and they were just waiting for the ring gears.

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 07-13-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
See post below

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 07-13-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
I just now as of 3:14 P.M. got off the phone with David from Spec. He has told me they are done getting made and that they are just waiting on the ring gears to come in on Tuesday of next week. He has also told me he is going to make about 15 of them so if anyone else would like to join in later it can be done and that a replacement should any take 2 weeks at the most now they have the pattern set. I told him I was not to happy with thing "time line" and he understood.
I have just sent everyone involved an e-mail and I will send a new one here shortly! He does have everyones info. and I have any gave that info. to him and no body else! I will repost here "on Pennock's" after I talk to him next Wednesday. As you can all see I have done everything I could to get this done and have it done right. Talk to you all soon!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 07-13-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

GSXRBOBBY

3122 posts
Member since Aug 2003
P.S. I have been working realy hard on this so if anyone has ever given me a bad rating kiss my butt!!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Bobby,

just want you to know that I really appreciate what you and Will have done here. only +'s for you guys and thanks for all of your efforts!

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

seabee1678

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2004 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seabee1678Click Here to visit seabee1678's HomePageSend a Private Message to seabee1678Direct Link to This Post
why would any one want to hook up a 300 HP ,275 Ft lbs engine to fiero trans. So you can get lots of practice replacing transmissions. you will not break the caddy trans .You can bang the hell out of it & it lives. Fierostar seabee 1678 @hot mail.com 1988 formula 96 N* engine@ trans. 96 camero dash . Dekota Didigal instruments . Konies/with coilovers ,12 inch breaks, 17 inch wheels
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I just hate auto's and the 300 pounds for the 4T80E aint a bonus eather.
A 282 is under 100 pounds and the 284 if you can find one is about 120 pounds.
For me the ONLY reason to stay with the stock 4T80E tranny is for the smog sticker. After that the tranny goes to E-Bay. I wont get into the "they are/are not strong enough to handle a V8" debate. I just dont want an auto.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seabee1678:

why would any one want to hook up a 300 HP ,275 Ft lbs engine to fiero trans. So you can get lots of practice replacing transmissions. you will not break the caddy trans .You can bang the hell out of it & it lives. Fierostar seabee 1678 @hot mail.com 1988 formula 96 N* engine@ trans. 96 camero dash . Dekota Didigal instruments . Konies/with coilovers ,12 inch breaks, 17 inch wheels

<sigh> <Here we go again...>

What is your intent in saying this? It doesn't come off very supportive. I should think that someone who owns a Northstar Fiero, and maybe even did his own swap, would be more considerate of the way other people want to do their swaps.

That said, the Fiero transmission can take it just fine. After two years of abuse as a daily driver and a few 12 second time slips, my transmission is still in one piece and shifting better than most on this forum. I've had more trouble with the Centerfarce clutch than with the trans. It's also 200# lighter and loads more fun to drive than a 4T80E.

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seabee1678:

I was a tech at a small Cadi Dealer. There was good reason they had a Trans Specific Mechanic in our shop. All other techs Did Bumper to bumper repair. But they had one out of 14 guys who did nothing but Overhaul transaxles out of the Cadi's. Sure its reliable. But not bulletproof.

I'll take my 5speed any day.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
if i break my tranny then i'll have to agree. until then it's lighter and already there.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Put em up put em up

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
So what is the deal, I am goin to need a flywheel soon, can we just get along with Spec and push them to work on them.

------------------

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

On a couple of occasions, I've messed up launches and gone to WOT too early. The engine free revved and the CF clutch COULD NOT get a hold of it, even after I brought my foot all the way off the clutch pedal. The only option was to back off the gas until the clutch hooked up.

The RAM Powergrip clutch does the same thing with a 4.9. I learned to let it fully engage before matting the throttle. Once it's engaged it won't slip at all.

I'm still waiting to see how you guys make out with the flywheels. Keep us updated.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

The RAM Powergrip clutch does the same thing with a 4.9. I learned to let it fully engage before matting the throttle. Once it's engaged it won't slip at all.

I'm still waiting to see how you guys make out with the flywheels. Keep us updated.

Is that the top-of-the-line "normal" RAM clutch (ie, not special order or custom)?
Doesn't sound like it would do any better behind the Northstar than the Centerfarce.

At this rate I'm going to have my new job and be settled in an have spare money for the SPEC package by the time they get done producing it...

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
86 FIERO GT, I'm sorry if you didn't get my e-mail. As of the other day, they are just about done, we are only waiting for the ring gears to come in, I was told next Tuesday. So sometime after that we should be good to go! They are making 15 so we will have spares or if anyone needs one soon that didn't get in on this I have got them covered also! I was also told they will be able to make replacement flywheels in the future within 2 to 3 weeks at the most now that they have the program already set up.
So, how is that, did I do good enough?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
He wrote me today asking for me to send him a flexplate bolt so he can make a set of bolts for this.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The flywheel bolts have to be longer than the flexplate bolts, of course...

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Do you know the size and any other "hardness and threadsize" offhand?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I have a book at home that has the bolt tensile strength and sizes for the 4.0L and 4.6L northstar engines. I hope it has the flywheel bolts included. I will be back there on Wednesday and will post the info if you don't already have it.

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 07-20-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Thanks snoop, it will save me a trip!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
ok, thursday morning, small delay in plans. sorry

I love this book, here is what it says about the flywheel (flexplate) bolts

Dia: M8
Size(MM)Pitch: 1.25
Length: 17mm
Drive (socket size) 15mm
Property Class (strength) 10.9
Torque: 11 LBS. FT +50(degrees) (i am not sure what they mean by the degrees symbol. temp or angle?)
QTY: 8

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 07-22-2004).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
bump...
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I sent him the info I will call him tomorrow to see if that will cover it or if he still needs the bolts.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
The * symbol means after you torque them 11lbs you turn the bolt 50 more degrees. The northstars head and crank case bolts are the same way.

------------------

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

I sent him the info I will call him tomorrow to see if that will cover it or if he still needs the bolts.

Originally posted by 86 FIERO GT:
The * symbol means after you torque them 11lbs you turn the bolt 50 more degrees. The northstars head and crank case bolts are the same way.

thanks, that's a new one for me.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
snoopy these specs are the same size as the pressure plate bolts not the flywheel "flexplate bolts"
Dia: M8
Size(MM)Pitch: 1.25
Length: 17mm
Drive (socket size) 15mm
Property Class (strength) 10.9
Torque: 11 LBS. FT +50(degrees) (i am not sure what they mean by the degrees symbol. temp or angle?)
QTY: 8

I am going to go get a bolt from my motor in an hour or so and sent it next day air or something. The flywheels will be able to be shipped as soon as Friday "maybe" if not early next week!!!!

YES I SAID SHIPPED YOUR NOT DREAMING THIS!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
That's GREAT NEWS!

I can't wait to get mine.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I went out and pulled 1 of 8 from the flexplate and these are small !!!!!!!!! I would guess those specs are right they just don't think so because they are so tiny?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
There are 8 of them and they call for 10 or 15 ftlbs followed by 45 degrees or so. The Fiero bolts are bigger, but there are only 6, and they have a straight torque spec, rather than torque plus rotation.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-27-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2004 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
tiny!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2004 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
the bolt is on its way. Lets hope this gets done. I have a big ugly Northstar sittin in my garage that Bobert needs a flywheel for.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

I went out and pulled 1 of 8 from the flexplate and these are small !!!!!!!!! I would guess those specs are right they just don't think so because they are so tiny?

Bobby, that's what I thought too when i read the numbers so I got a bolt out and it measured up to what the book said. (i guess that is why they use eight of them???) hopefully they will work ok with the longer bolt required for the flywheels. also, i would imagine the bolts will be subjected to alot more stress on a clutch system versus an automatic trans... my bolts actually say 8.8 MOD on them but i don't know if my bolts are from GM or if they were a later replacement. I would only use the 10.9 bolts that are called for.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003

YES I SAID SHIPPED YOUR NOT DREAMING THIS!!!!

WOOT!!!

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Somebody post pictures when you get yours. And weigh it.

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
The world is in big trouble !!!!! I meet and became good friends with this forums biggest smart a$$, KissMySSFiero!!! I brought the Northstar, trans. and some of my tools over to his place. We are going to motivate each other so we can get these motor swaps done?!?!?! He's doing some small engine or small block thing, hehehehehe

Will, I have got you set up also, there is one waiting there for you when you need it! Thanks for your help.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 07-29-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors