Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fie Ro and Yellowstone - the hood scoop project (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fie Ro and Yellowstone - the hood scoop project by yellowstone
Started on: 04-03-2005 02:44 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: doublec4 on 04-16-2005 03:52 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Last weekend we went to the Netherlands to start the grand hood scoop project with the local fiberglass master - Fie Ro. After leaving my wife with friends in Amsterdam, work started in Fie Ro's garage..

First a few pix to prove I was in the right place...

The GTR in the flesh...

The 3800 SC project...

The interior Fie Ro style:

The workshop and Fie Ro hard at work...

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com/fiero.html
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, OZELOT exhaust, Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
The hapless victim (the hood, not me):

The cut done:

Glassing begins:

The edge glassed in, from a mold taken off Fie Ro's scoop:

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-03-2005).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Taking shape:

Getting better:

From down under (so AusFiero can see better):

A piece of cardboard to mock up the mesh location:

"Installed" on the Mazda :-)

THANK YOU, FIE RO!

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 04-03-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! ...I guess I will have a big when I see it painted and installed on your yellow beauty

I took some valuable lessons from my first scoop into this one and did some extra reinforcements and changes where needed....it turned out pretty solid (thats why I kept knocking the thing...lol) BUT Yellowstone also brought in some nice ideas of mounting the mesh and make the vent look better. German visitor at work :

Now I really want to update my first vent to something similar...lol..never finished..
When Yellowstone learned the principles of bondo and sanding I stayed out of the garage

Hope you enjoy it!
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Oh Yeah .... that's lookin' mighty appealing! And I'll no longer be whining about being endowed w/ a small garage ;^)
Norm
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
You've done some amazing work, Fie Ro. Not only to your car, but to Yellowstone's hood as well! Please keep us updated on BOTH projects...they're extremely interesting!
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

wow - sell these and people will love you - they would be cheap and make life so much easier

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the step by step look at glassing in a hood vent. I wish I had seen this before I started mine. I $uck at fiberglass and I need all the help I can get.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
make it look so easy! Ahhhhhhh, I really have to learn this stuff.
Musmaro13

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Musmaro13Click Here to visit Musmaro13's HomePageSend a Private Message to Musmaro13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

wow - sell these and people will love you - they would be cheap and make life so much easier

<-----Was thinking the same thing.

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious. When a Dutch Fiero guy and a German Fiero guy get together, what language do you speak?

Oh, and cool hood. I wish I had the balls and the talent to do that to my hood.

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
English.... But I think Fie Ro also speaks at least some German, as most Dutch do. The ones who suck at Dutch are ze Germans.

Originally posted by stimpy:

I'm curious. When a Dutch Fiero guy and a German Fiero guy get together, what language do you speak?

Oh, and cool hood. I wish I had the balls and the talent to do that to my hood.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Fiero talk is universal....und jawohl ich spreche deutsch but he was visiting MY country lol

a little more info about the scoop: measuring and cutting is quite straight forward. Most of the work goes into trimming and testfitting of all the pieces. the premade corner pieces made it a little easier but you could do it without them.

the support is trimmed so the reused decklid piece just slides in:

Good thing is the reused decklid piece already has the right curves(and the little v-shape in the middle).
The cut pieces at the hinges are trimmed and swapped upside down to the other side for a smooth look and a little strength...

Ow almost forgot this:

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
This thread makes me want to go to a junkyard and get a hood to play with.

Nice work guys.

------------------
87 Fiero SE

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
man fiberglassing and "other" bodywork is SOOOOO easy !
Nobody should be scared of doing it. LOTS of sanding though

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp., fastest one in Austin,Texas and surrounding areas.........so far

dezie36

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dezie36Send a Private Message to dezie36Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Fiero talk is universal....und jawohl ich spreche deutsch but he was visiting MY country lol :

Ah yes this is true... Ich würde Deutsch ebenso sprechen aber Mine ist nicht so gut.

Did I say that right? I hope I got close.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dezie36 (edited 04-04-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
..there was also some PFF slang involved like talking about the "blue dingy thingie"...lol

Originally posted by revin:

man fiberglassing and "other" bodywork is SOOOOO easy !
Nobody should be scared of doing it. LOTS of sanding though

yeah thats true. Once you get started it only gets easier. Cutting a hood the first time is exiting too...but it gets easier when you know it is only going to be better...so Yellowstone really got involved in this build..lol..
I almost glassed his nose in.

88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Was just getting ready to do a search for the measurements (pix you posted above) now all i gotta do is convert the measurements to inches...
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFormula:

now all i gotta do is convert the measurements to inches...

LOL that is too funny ! I didn't think about that ! hahaha

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I've got 2 hoods 2 play with, and Im just starting on a flip clip similar to the 82-96 vettes (theres a build up thread in general about it.)

Id rather do the vent first and have that over with... Time to cut out that section... Just curious what you guys used to cut this out...

I know how im cutting it, just wanted to know what u used...

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Oscillating saw and Dremel tool...

I've got 2 hoods 2 play with, and Im just starting on a flip clip similar to the 82-96 vettes (theres a build up thread in general about it.)

Id rather do the vent first and have that over with... Time to cut out that section... Just curious what you guys used to cut this out...

PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Was just getting ready to do a search for the measurements (pix you posted above) now all i gotta do is convert the measurements to inches...

please let me know if I did a wrong conversion somewhere...

We used a simple electric jig saw for the front cut.... used my dremel copy for most of the rest. The fronthood is basicly made of 2 parts:the upper outer shape and the lower ribs/bracing. You dont want to cut too much of the basic structure..
The dremel thingie did the job but it was too light...went through 10+ cutting discs to get it done. They grab and they snap!

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

.... used my dremel copy for most of the rest. The fronthood is basicly made of 2 parts:the upper outer shape and the lower ribs/bracing. You dont want to cut too much of the basic structure..
The dremel thingie did the job but it was too light...went through 10+ cutting discs to get it done. They grab and they snap!

I used Dremel on my hood and I did the whole cut with one disk. I prefer the extra heady duty kind though and they are about $2 a disk but worth it.

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
know which 1s ya mean jscott... Dad was on the way to lowes so i gave him a 5 and asked him to grab me 1... I got everything measured and marked (awaiting his return as we speak... lol)

the front lines of the opening i marked matches the lines with the front of the hood (slight V, kinda diffrent from yellowstones and fie ros)

slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Direct Link to This Post
Great thread and pics. I like it when people can take the time to stop in the middle of the hard work they are doing and snap pics along the way for the people who haven't done something like that yet.

Hey Fie Ro, you had a thread a while back with some teaser pics and had people guessing what and where they were. One had a vent you glassed in behind the orig engine vents. Do you happen to have a link to that one? I have been looking for that thread for a while now and I can't seem to find it. tried search but still didn't pop up for me.

Rick

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Question for Yellowstone and or Fie Ro:

How deep is the front of the vent opening to the level of the factory hood ?

2.5 - 3 inches ?

Just wondering... I dunno if mine will be as deep or deeper than yours...

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Jscott: I had some ordinary discs laying around...not intended for this application..!..obviously.... So does that look like an Aus hoodvent? ..Is it the first to be installed?

Rick: first link in my sign will get you to the thread..

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress... 1-body buildup 2-interior buildup 3-engine buildup

1969 Chevy Suburban

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Anyone want to come to Ohio and help me make a scoop on the hood of my Formula?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Question for Yellowstone and or Fie Ro:

How deep is the front of the vent opening to the level of the factory hood ?

2.5 - 3 inches ?

Just wondering... I dunno if mine will be as deep or deeper than yours...

..Guess it is about 2 inches max with these setups....we dont want cutting of the front trunk because we like to store the sunroof when the sun is here!...placement of the vent is also important to get it functional...You can get it deeper, but first you'll hit the radiator overflow tank..after taking care of that, theres a lot of space you can play with...!

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
Fie Ro, about the Dremel cut-off wheels breaking, it's helpful to: A) not apply too much pressure to what you are cutting, B) you can double up on the disks, (Iv'e used 2 or 3 together on many occasions) C) do not exceed 20K RPM on your moto-tool, D) cut-off wheel quality (brittleness) varies from one manufacturer to the other and E) there are other types of cut-off wheels now besides the sandstone ones (not sure which one you were using). I have some that are fiberglass-reinforced and even a metal cut-off wheel that is diamond-tipped. (Allied brand)

Kit (86 GT)

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Well Yellowstones one looks rather steal. Well Done!
I am watching your instal with interest J Scott. Havent seen one installed yet.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I wound up using a jig saw to cut out the hole... Cut some of the brace you guys didnt cut off, I have a few ideas added to your design...

Hopefully mine turns out of with the 1st try... lol

Time to put it back together when i get more daylight...

~Tim

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

I am watching your instal with interest J Scott. Havent seen one installed yet.

I didn't realize I was the trailblazer for the Aus Stage II hood vent am I the first? I have never seen one installed either. The measurements from this thread would have been useful when I was cutting my hood. So as not to steal this thread I posted current pics of my hood on my official build up thread. Thanks.

Jonathan

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044137-9.html

SNMFX

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-05-2005 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNMFXClick Here to visit SNMFX's HomePageSend a Private Message to SNMFXDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info...this is one mod I want on all my cars.
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Got the brace that goes over the hole cut to fit, and glassedback in.. Im making the underside look pretty at the moment... After that I'll be bondoing the exterior of the hood like you guys did...

Some of the metal chasis (whatever you wanna call it) that the tire rests on right behind the fan... I gotta trim about an inch off that.... My vent goes a little deepr than yours...

Enough chit chat, back to work for me... Thanx again for the inspiation to get off my tush and get the front end well underway...

~Tim

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 04-06-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
dont forget to take & post pics!
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent FieRo...
ds21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ds21Send a Private Message to ds21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

After leaving my wife with friends in Amsterdam,

I call first dibs on the wife.[JK]

Thanks for the writeup and pics good info.
I've got to get over there one of these days.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I havent seen Yellowstone's wife when he was visiting.....so
I bet he was afraid of my habit to touch and reshape nice bodywork..lol...

88GTF.. got a reply.

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

dont forget to take & post pics!

k... heres a few... you see where its going kinda...

and a hood that will open near identical to this...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock