Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  3.4 DOHC Fiero driving impressions. (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
3.4 DOHC Fiero driving impressions. by Dave Gunsul
Started on: 08-23-2004 12:18 PM
Replies: 359
Last post by: 85frankenstein on 05-04-2005 09:31 AM
befarrer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Hey, sorry if this has been asked on this thread before, but how does the 3.4L compare to a Quad 4? I would think that in the upper RPM range, there isnt much of a noticable difference, being the HP in the Quad is 180 (5200 RPM I think is peak HP) compared to 210 in the TDC. I would assume a much larger difference in the lower end, with the Quads 160 ft lbs of torque ( I think that is at 4800 RPM).

I guess I will have to ride in Crzyone's car this spring, and he can ride in my Quad 4.

IP: Logged
DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AaronZ34:

I want to see more pics, more specifically of your engine/headers.

Thanks

Here are some.

Hope helped you. BTW, are you from v60* Forum?

Later

DreX

[This message has been edited by DreXteR (edited 11-30-2004).]

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post

DreXteR

1763 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Here are some more of the headers w/o the coating

DreX

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Very nice build up. What size of pipe did you use for the primaries? How big is your collector outlet?

Looks very professional.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Originally posted by befarrer:

I guess I will have to ride in Crzyone's car this spring, and he can ride in my Quad 4.

Why wait till spring I have it on the road right now and I always go through Westlock on my way to Redwater.

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Very nice build up. What size of pipe did you use for the primaries? How big is your collector outlet?

Looks very professional.

2" Primaries to a 2.5" Collectors and 2.5" exhaust single sided flow tru muffler.

DreX

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Did you have those headers made or did you make them yourself?
Have you thought about making copies and selling them? There are doubtless many people who would be interested in a set of headers for their TDC swaped Fiero.

------------------
Activities Director N.I.F.E.

www.fierofocus.com

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

Did you have those headers made or did you make them yourself?
Have you thought about making copies and selling them? There are doubtless many people who would be interested in a set of headers for their TDC swaped Fiero.

A Professional builder do it for me. i didnt have the tools anyway. I told him how I wanted, make a basic draw and he build it.

DreX

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind, how much did you end up paying for them?

I would love a copy, but I am running the earlier heads.

fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Drex, nice car man, my hats off to you. i vaugly followed your build up thread, because at that time i was new to the forum and not too intersted in the 3.4 dohc. do you by chance have a link to your build thread? Once again, very nice car!
DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

If you don't mind, how much did you end up paying for them?

I would love a copy, but I am running the earlier heads.

I dont remember. I buy some parts here and there and pay the welder, plus some work I did like the crossover pipe "Y". I guess it was close to 700 with coating, maybe 600. That was a year ago, dont remember.

Find a header builder and take the pics of mines to him + a gasket form your heads. He can do it. The thing is he will need to have the engine, tranny an craddle to make the crossover. What I did was make him to do the headers and I did the crossover then take it to him to finish the welds.

GL
DreX

PFF
System Bot
DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post

DreXteR

1763 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by fieromadman:

Drex, nice car man, my hats off to you. i vaugly followed your build up thread, because at that time i was new to the forum and not too intersted in the 3.4 dohc. do you by chance have a link to your build thread? Once again, very nice car!

Most was hammering down the harness integration. You can get it in www.DOHCFiero.com

A picture say 1000 words. If you need something just drop me an email.

DreX

Sunflash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SunflashSend a Private Message to SunflashDirect Link to This Post
Well I was planning on spending my after deployment cash on an 86-88 GT w/5-speed and putting in a 3800 NA and supercharching it but the talk of all those revs makes me giddy. Now if only someone will have figured out how to put togther the best heads/engine/OBD2 setup before I get back from the sand box..... Well worst case I do it when I get back. Now why did you guys have to go getting me all excited like that.

P.S. Anyone have an 86-88 GT 5-speed you are looking to get rid of? If not now maybe August of 06?

------------------
Please before anyone posts questions or offensive comments about my military service know that I do the job I do because I love this country and everything it stands for even if it means you hate me for it.

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2004 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
As for DOHC headers for the Fiero, I'll be making some. Just give me time. First I need to finish my DOHC buildup(this summer), then I need to get a Fiero and do the swap. So I do not know how they will route yet, but I need a DOHC motor and a Fiero to build them. Here are their specs, and they will be made for 91-95 OR 96-97 DOHC motors. I can also include a full exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. All headers can be left uncoated, or be Jet Coated, for the best looks and performance. The specs:

All stock or nearly stock motors will get 1 5/8" primaries, 36" primary length, dual 6" long 2.25" 3-1 collectors. Then I will include a downpipe with a Y, that takes both 2.25" into a single 2.5". From here you will need to build, or have built, your own exhaust becuz they probably won't run in the stock location. That could change tho if I like the stock location. All of my headers are tuned equal length. They will have a threaded peice for a factory 02 sensor, in a place that I deem best, but they will not have provsions for an AIR system or the EGR system. But EGR delete is pretty easy, and if you are using an air system just leave the hoses open. I will have pics of the headers on my Z34 Lumina come mid December.

As for pricing, that will be determined when they are finished, but it won't be over 800. I have a lot of experience with the 3.4L DOHC, and I know how well it reacts to headers. We dropped from a 14.9 to a 14.2 with JUST headers on a Z34 Lumina.

------------------
1992 Lumina Z34 5-speed For Sale
14.78 @ 92.68

Offered to donated its organs to Fiero

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
36" long on each branch? man that's gotta be hard to squeeze in there since the rear ports are only about 36" away from the exhaust tip..

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2004 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Hey buddy, trust me. If I can fit full equal length headers on a 3.4L TDC in a Lumina, I can fit them in a Fiero. They will fit, look good, and be semi-easily installed.

I also did not mention that they will be truly equal length, with the front and back banks having the smae length downpipes(the pipes after the collectors and before the merger into the single 2.5").

------------------
14.78 @ 92.68

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
what you didnt mention is how you had to cut the subframe to get them to fit and they were shorter in that application
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
No flame intended but I have a question Aaron; if you achieved a 14.2, why does your sig on here as well as on 60 degree v6 dot com list only a 14.78?
Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
hey sunflash, where are you deployed at??
I was just wondering cause im on an uncle sam vacation too.

------------------
"HOT, HOTTER, HOTTEST!!!"
Red 88GT 5spd
Gold 87GT 5spd #115 PARTING OUT!!
Red 86GT 4spd

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

what you didnt mention is how you had to cut the subframe to get them to fit and they were shorter in that application

hey subframes don't matter...lol. yes I did have to cut the frame, but it has had no noticable effects yet, and it has been well over 6 months in operation. It has a slight creek under 100% HARD braking, but that is all. They were only 30" long, but extending them another 4-6" would be really easy. Cut the collector off, extend them, reweld the collector. I left straight 2.25" of pipe after each collector in case I did want to do this.

As for the next comment, I have never run a 14.2. The car, altitude correct, should run a 13.83, with the headers and the new motor. The 14.78 is my fastest timeslip proven time int he car at an actual track, so that is what I post. But that was on my old motor with stock manis. I ran a 15.22 at PMI in Pueblo, CO, running 2 tenths faster than a LS1 auto Camaro and .15 faster than a 6M 350Z, which both run high 13s stock. btw, not to be cocky, but form what I hear and have seen, a 15.22 at PMI is pretty repectable. I can pull about 1-2 car lenghs on my dads 1994 LT1 6-speed to 90mph, and that car seems to run pretty strong as far as LT1s go.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post

As for the next comment, I have never run a 14.2. The car, altitude correct, should run a 13.83, with the headers and the new motor. The 14.78 is my fastest timeslip proven time int he car at an actual track, so that is what I post. But that was on my old motor with stock manis. I ran a 15.22 at PMI in Pueblo, CO, running 2 tenths faster than a LS1 auto Camaro and .15 faster than a 6M 350Z, which both run high 13s stock. btw, not to be cocky, but form what I hear and have seen, a 15.22 at PMI is pretty repectable. I can pull about 1-2 car lenghs on my dads 1994 LT1 6-speed to 90mph, and that car seems to run pretty strong as far as LT1s go.

Originally posted by AaronZ34:

As for DOHC headers for the Fiero, I'll be making some. Just give me time. First I need to finish my DOHC buildup(this summer), then I need to get a Fiero and do the swap. So I do not know how they will route yet, but I need a DOHC motor and a Fiero to build them. Here are their specs, and they will be made for 91-95 OR 96-97 DOHC motors. I can also include a full exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. All headers can be left uncoated, or be Jet Coated, for the best looks and performance. The specs:

All stock or nearly stock motors will get 1 5/8" primaries, 36" primary length, dual 6" long 2.25" 3-1 collectors. Then I will include a downpipe with a Y, that takes both 2.25" into a single 2.5". From here you will need to build, or have built, your own exhaust becuz they probably won't run in the stock location. That could change tho if I like the stock location. All of my headers are tuned equal length. They will have a threaded peice for a factory 02 sensor, in a place that I deem best, but they will not have provsions for an AIR system or the EGR system. But EGR delete is pretty easy, and if you are using an air system just leave the hoses open. I will have pics of the headers on my Z34 Lumina come mid December.

As for pricing, that will be determined when they are finished, but it won't be over 800. I have a lot of experience with the 3.4L DOHC, and I know how well it reacts to headers. We dropped from a 14.9 to a 14.2 with JUST headers on a Z34 Lumina.

wait, you said you never ran a 14.2, but in the post above, in the last paragraph, you said that the headers dropped you from 14.9 to 14.2? so which is it, 14.2 or 14.7.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 12-03-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2004 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Wasn't my car. That was a guy named John's car(kickinz), it was a red 1991 Z34 5-speed that he built some headers for. His were a bit different than mine, but not so much in dimensions, just in routing of them. Since I haven;t run the car before and after the headers at the same track, it really isn't fair to bring up times. Especially that my time with headers and the new motor is still slower than my seal level time with manis and an old motor.

Sorry for the cinfusion, just trying to show how much they help

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
My bone stock 3.4 DOHC (using stock manifolds) 5-speed SE ran a 14.1 @ 97mph in the 1/4. Would have run in the 13's with a better clutch and if a tranny mount didn't break. I am sure a good set of headers would improve the e.t. by at least a tenth or two with no other mods done to the engine.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

Sunflash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2004 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunflashSend a Private Message to SunflashDirect Link to This Post
Not to hijack the thread or anything just a follow up: I am not currently deployed but we will be heading out late this summer early fall. I am currently serving in Alaska. Not wure what service/MOS you are but for me being a ground pounder working a desk in Brigade I think this deployment is going to kill me,.... with boredom that is. How is it a door kicker ended up at a desk? The injustice of being smart and letting people see it. Oh well. I hope you are doing well wherever you are.
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-04-2004 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

My bone stock 3.4 DOHC (using stock manifolds) 5-speed SE ran a 14.1 @ 97mph in the 1/4. Would have run in the 13's with a better clutch and if a tranny mount didn't break. I am sure a good set of headers would improve the e.t. by at least a tenth or two with no other mods done to the engine.

Damn Fieros...

Anyways, I well designed set of headers(like mine) on a 3.4L TDC, even if its otherwise stock, will drop you at least 3-4 tenths, and I will guarentee that. They did wonders for the 2 Z34s that got decent headers.

Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
Well I pull convoy escort a lot and it still is boring. You really cant shoot back at those IED's. Oh well, february, february
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i was reading on 60degreev6.com on the performance part about cams and it talks about 7 degrees advance on the intakes and 6 degrees retard on the exhaust, i was curious if anyone with desktop dyno could find out what the gains are supposed to be.
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
I think they came up with the best setup, for power, mileage, drivability, and still idling smooth was 13* retard on the exhaust, and leaving the intakes how they are.

------------------
14.78 @ 92.68

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Hey Drex, did you fabricate a new throttle body neck for yours? It's different than what I've seen before.

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, trying to get my 3.4 DOHC put together.

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
what clutch are you guys running?

I'm thinking about picking up an 88 coupe to do this swap on. I have all the panels to do a gt conversion, minus a taillight. I also have the flywheel, centerforce clutch and engine mount. Its tempting to do the swap.

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post

Got a Delorean hidden in the garage Drex, the ultrasounds were taken a week after they were posted .... huh?

;^) Norm

PFF
System Bot
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

Hey Drex, did you fabricate a new throttle body neck for yours? It's different than what I've seen before.

Yes he did, but that also doesn't look like the 96-97 TB, it might be a N* or a LS1. Or is it? I could be wrong...

------------------
14.78 @ 92.68

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
what does a '94 engine put out in terms of HP and torque?

------------------

+ an 88 Capirce 9C1 Police Package
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 02-08-2005).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

public forum didn't know we have nazi's patrolling

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
yeah its what I do in my free time make girly animated gifs it pays well.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
why don't you go on PFF sucks and show off your 4.9 like you have been.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 02-07-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock