Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Watch me install T-Tops in Proud-2 (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Watch me install T-Tops in Proud-2 by jscott1
Started on: 05-25-2003 10:31 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: GT86 on 02-11-2004 10:51 AM
Fierokid87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
WOW! That all i have to say.............you can do mine now. Ill drive my Formula over and let you have all the fun cutting and welding.

------------------
Fierokid's baby:
R.I.P.V-6 Swap 1987 Blue Fiero
sport coupe

White 1988 Fiero Formula
AIM: Fierokid87
Rate Me Please

2.9L V-6: 2030 Compucam, Darrel Morse Fuel Presure Regulator, 9.5:1 comp, zeroed out ballanced crank, contecting rods matched, MSD 6A ignition box and Blaster GM style coil, Darrel Morse Bored out TB and intake, 19# Mustang Injectors, Removed TB coolant lines, Darrel Morse Dogbone strut, and more to come

IP: Logged
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! There are some things I've done to my car that took a little guts, but I don't think I could do that!
Hopefully you'll stay dry when it rains

------------------

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
WOW that is sweet. Maybe someday I will find a good deal on a t-top kit and put her in, but for right now the sunroof will have to do.

------------------

85 GT 4 SPD
Number 53715 of 76371
Best 1/4 15.816 @ 84.72

Accel 8.8mm wires, Accel 300+ Ignition box, Blaster Coil, NGK UR5, K&N, Short Shifter, High flow cat, Monochrome Caracus red, KYB shocks/struts, ST lowering springs, Poly Dogbone.

Coulee Region Fieros member(couleefiero.tripod.com)

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job, I am very impressed! But does the A/C work?

------------------

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Great job, and you make it sound and look so easy. I would never have had the "testicular fortitude" to hack into my roof.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Great balls of hair-what a nice job!! That stuff would have to sit in the corner for a loooooong time before I got up the courage to pick up the sawzall. Excellent documentation.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
looks great. good job!

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness.. didn't have much of an imagination." - Steve King, 1997

Kelvin Vivian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kelvin VivianSend a Private Message to Kelvin VivianDirect Link to This Post
Another thumbs up!

Great pics... Gives me the confidence to self-install a T-Top on my 85 base coupe...

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:...it just caught my little brown eye this morning..

ummmm... no comment

Jonathan -
Awesome job, and an even better write-up!

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding job! Sure makes me appreciate my t-top more.
Now as for that t-top that's is being offered for sale, makes me wonder what it would look like on my choptop...
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

Outstanding job! Sure makes me appreciate my t-top more.
Now as for that t-top that's is being offered for sale, makes me wonder what it would look like on my choptop...

Great and a one of a kind. They are still for sale.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
WOW Jonathan -- I'm impressed. I know we talked about it at Daytona but I didn't think you'd start the project so soon. It looks like a real professional install. It also makes me wonder about what I'm going to do with the t-top roof I have stored in my attic . How about supplying a couple of detail shots of the temporary frame reinforcements that you used.

Way to go!

P.S. I looks like the dash filler is about done, too.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Jonathan,

WOW !! I might have to rent your brother some time!! haha

Did you strenghten the bottom of the car? I hear you need too.?? with a cross brace or something.....

Your car looks better than ski's now!!!!!

Cruz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzClick Here to visit Cruz's HomePageSend a Private Message to CruzDirect Link to This Post
Great Job !!!!
I did my T-tops In a weekend..... I dont have any pics...Somone stole my digi cam out of my truck before i could download them.... I got my tops complete from a 86 se doner in a local wrecking yard for $100.00 . The Biggest problem I had was tring to find the 1/4" steel pop rivits....

Make sure you download the "Leak Manual" from the Fiero T-Top Regestry http://www.fierottop.com/ It Helps ALOT in trying to get the leaks fixed... and LOTS of Black RTV for all the little corners....

Oh Yea... ENJOY!!!

------------------
Build The Coolest of the cool and DRIVE it!!

87 GT T-top Auto

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
That is one conversion i WILL have to do after i finsh my swap and some outher stuff i allways wanted t tops so bad by the way It looks really good i like i like

J Sokol

------------------

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Excellent work! Great photos, and information too!

Pete

------------------

87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Great job Jonathan. At the AAFO Roundup VII you said you were still thinking about doing the conversion. I'm glad to see you went ahead and did it. The install looks like it came that way from the factory. Can't wait to see it next year at Roundup VIII.

------------------
----------------------

-----------------------

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work! Great Thread and foremost

AWESOME FIERO!!!

Steve

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Awesome write up & photos... I'm sure these will be a great help to anyone wanting to do the same in the future (*saves to Favorites list* ).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
What a thread. And man what a picture with that tiger saw going thru the roof...I can just see myself having a stroke doing that. The results are absolutely fine, thats going into my book of things to consider for my SE. Again great thread, great work gorgeous car.
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Once you make the first cut, the roof skin comes off and it doesn't matter whether you had a sunroof car or not, all Fieros have the same spaceframe.

Do you still have that piece you removed? Might you be interested in selling it? I had an idea for an "opaque" roof panel to go in the place of my sunroof (keep the hot summer sun off my poor tender head! ...and incidentally keep interior temps down). I'm pretty sure that a roof panel would work perfectly, but I didn't want to butcher a good one, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to find one for a reasonable price around here (ie cheap...)

& this thread actually had me considering Skitime's T-top kit for a minute...

Ed

PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Wow! That is just sooo cool!
Turning a non t-top Fiero into one is such a coolt hing if you can do it.
I wonder if a Firebird t-top conversion is possible? Things that make you go hmmm

Great job. What an inspiration for some of us.

Steve

------------------

Almost 400 pics of our 18 Fieros:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks again for all the good words and encouragement. I purposefully waited until Sunday night to post my weekend results after I knew the outcome. I had to leave town for a few days so let me get caught up and answer some questions...

MrFixit58 - I wasn't sure back in March what I was going to do, but my brother talked me into doing it myself. While he was making the measurements, I created the temporary frame reinforcements or spreaders:

They consist of 3/8" threaded rods into a turn buckle in which I have cut the eye off of the lefthanded side and mounted it in a 1/8" aluminum bracket.

I got conflicting information as to whether or not they were needed, but I think they definitely helped. The windshield seemed pretty flimsy after I made the first cut, and I think the blade would have binded up without the support.

The dash filler is still in work, more sanding and filling is necessary, (typical for a fiberglass piece )

Revin, (and others) - The frame does not need to be reinforced for a T-top car. The "H" frame is riveted in with about 50 1/4" rivets and the car is just as strong afterwards, just ask Chester. I was thinking about him as I was driving those rivets..."if I have to go under a semi I want this car to survive"

As for looking better than Ski, Proud-2 is not quite in that league yet, but I'm working on it. His car is the benchmark for red 88 GTs.

Cruz - Those 1/4" rivets are hard to find. I didn't find them in any stores, I had to order them off the internet. They are mostly used by bodyshops and airplane manufacturers. I have a tube of Black RTV that I have to go fill in all the corners before I attempt a leak test. That's the next step.

MinnGreenGT - I know you will be able to find this thread in the future to help others I couldn't find any decent pictures anywhere of a T-top install to help me so I decided to take a bunch of pics myself. By the way, I actually took over 150 pictures so if someone wants to see some particular detail I probably have it.

edhering - I still have the roof panel. It came off intact as you saw it. It would make a great donor for a solid sunroof or a targa panel. Let me think about selling it, and I'll get back to you.

Here is a closer view of the seals and dash. I will be painting the trim this weekend and triming the headliner next.

Jonathan (Jscott1) Time for a new sig

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Makin' a little progress:

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2003 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I finally got some garage time to make my new headliner. I often hear people ask where you get a T-top headliner...the answer is that you make it yourself.

Here is what it looks like without the headliner...kind of like something from Terminator-3 with all those rivets

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to add some rubberized undercoating to the roof...

Then the next step is to reinstall the headliner:

------------------

Firebird Interior Installation Thread

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2003 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Then you cut out the fiberglass backing and leave about three inches of material for overlap. The worst part about this is all the fiberglass dust:

Then fold it up and put on the molding:

Repeat on the other side:

Then Viola' You have a T-Top Headliner:

Next comes the trim...

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
JScott... You never seem to amaze us on how you are converting your ALREADY fabulous Gt into ONE of the best GT's ever!! Two thumb's up to you!!
T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
I know this is a little late now but, whenever it comes time to replace your headliner material there is no way you will be able to reuse your backer board. It is just going to fall apart when you take it out.
When I made the headliner for my T-top conversion I took a nonsunroof backer board and coated it with several coats of fiberglass resin on both sides. This makes it very strong and rigid.
I then cut out the openings for the T-tops. I also added some fiberglass cloth reinforcement to the cut out area by the dome lights. I can easily take my headliner out and recover it when the time comes.

Pat

------------------

84SE w/ T-Tops

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Pat,

Thanks for the tip, you have been helpful throughout. But before I converted my headliner into a T-top it was professionally recovered with an extra layer of foam, new material and new glue everywhere.

Prior to that it was falling apart and I almost threw it away. It should last 10 years or more before I have to drop it for anyreason.

T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully yours will last 10 years, but we both know that the hot summer weather here in Texas drastically shortens the lifetime of a headliner.
I am already seeing signs of the foam backing breaking down on my headliner material and my headliner is approx. 3 years old.
BTW great job on documenting your conversion.

Pat

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2003 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Pat,

One of the reasons I decided to put rubberized undercoating on the roof is that I drove the car without the headliner for a while and I couldn't believe how hot that metal roof can get. With the coating on there it should drastically reduce the heat that's transmitted to the headliner, prolonging it's life.

PFF
System Bot
fierokit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierokitSend a Private Message to fierokitDirect Link to This Post
All right another t-top owner!! join the club, not too many of us around!
ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
Im Gonna Bump This So More Folks Can See It ...And For Maybe A Few More Pics

------------------
Zero C's 86 Gt Fastback
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

Many Small Mods
Zeros Home Page
MSN Messanger tylercaddick@hotmail.com

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks to Cliff for allowing the downloading of existing images on the server. I will post some updates on my webserver when I get home tonight.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Here are some new to the forum pics...Sneak preview of my new color scheme. Updated pics to come soon.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Website

Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
bump to the top for a friend
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I still can't believe what a good job he did with this car and especially the t top install. I would absolutely love to install T-tops but I don't have the nads or the cash to try it. Simply amazing.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
How in the hell did I miss this thread?!?! I sure wish I could give more than one positive rating to ya jscott! Awesome job, and seeing that, it makes my decision to avoid t-tops a little less permanent. I love the looks of them, but I really hate that the parts are so hard to find and fairly expensive as a result.

I really like the solid roof, can't wait to get my crappy aftermarket sunroof out. Now I'm thinking I'll keep my eyes open for a t-top setup, just in case.

Bryce
88 GT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Nazareth, thanks for the bump.

connecticutFiero, thanks for the compliment.

Nasco, if you really want T-tops I know of at least one complete setup, maybe two. They are not cheap, but worth it in my opinion.

It seems my car has spent more time in the garage than on the road lately; I feel like CoolBlue87 has racked up more miles than me

Not really, but I did get out to the Red River Ruckus Redux last month...I'll take advantage of the bump to post some never before posted pics.

I have a list of about 50 items that I am fixing that aren't quite right about the car, so I have a lot of work yet to get it where I want it. The dash filler panel still isn't finished, that is driving me crazy. I have vowed that it will be done before the car leaves the garage again.

Jonathan

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Website

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
In case anyone is looking for it, the t-top install manual is here:

http://www.fieronews.com/files/T-top_Manual.zip

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock