Started on: 03-23-2003 11:10 PM
Replies: 136
Last post by: JD86GT350 on 05-06-2003 08:05 PM
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Bartlett:

How did you sand the entire car in under one day. I see you used a DA, but how do you get in spots that are too small for a DA? Any tips and tricks would be great.

A couple examples of trouble spots for me:

-The "Pontiac" in the drivers side headlight
-the resessed inlets (where the reflectors sit) in the rear bumper cover

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 03-25-2003).]

sanding block, and an old thing called Elbow-Grease

------------------
Rich
97 Eclipse GS-T not stock
92 325i-- intake, exhaust, and suspension
White 86 SE V6-- WCF 2" drop springs, coil-overs, KYb's

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
dark red scotchbrites get into all the little nooks and crannys sandpaper wont do.
1 pad is enough to finish up a whole car.
Roylmohr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RoylmohrSend a Private Message to RoylmohrDirect Link to This Post
I love Fiero chicks! Hehehe. Really car is looking good.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
I love Scotchbrites!

lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Rogers right. Use red scotch brite pads for those hard to reach surfaces. grey pads for areas that are only goinf to be cleared over or bare plastic pieces such as the body side moldings. You could also use 320 or 400 hand sand paper if you needto get chips out in those hard to reach places.

earl

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Soooo... Maryland, right? So what are the directions to your place and how much???? That paint looks to be *EXACTLY* the color I'm after.... And that looks like an awesome job! If you don't mind my asking, what paint system are you using?

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation in progress!!!)

Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
Keep those pictures coming Earl.
Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post

Along For The Ride

76 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

Soooo... Maryland, right? So what are the directions to your place and how much???? That paint looks to be *EXACTLY* the color I'm after.... And that looks like an awesome job! If you don't mind my asking, what paint system are you using?

I believe the paint is custom and Earl is sworn to secrecy.
TooManyFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TooManyFierosSend a Private Message to TooManyFierosDirect Link to This Post
Earl I'm disappointed! I spent a whole 10 minutes making that MAACO picture and I didn't even get a little rise out of you and your brother. I suspect that you are really mad and will pour laquer thinner on my paint at Carlisle. LOL
Anyway, what are the plans for the moldings? I was wondering how they need to be prepared and what they are to be painted with. Also, did you DA the paint with 320? I can't seem to find that stuff. Closest is 220. We are just finishing up a small fender bender on Jamie's car. I am going to try my hand at replacing the windshield trim molding. Man, that's a pain to remove. But it's out and I found the right stuff to put in. Jim

Originally posted by lildevil:

Rogers right. Use red scotch brite pads for those hard to reach surfaces. grey pads for areas that are only goinf to be cleared over or bare plastic pieces such as the body side moldings. You could also use 320 or 400 hand sand paper if you needto get chips out in those hard to reach places.

earl

kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post

How much for a roller job?

I prefer Earl "I'll paint any car for $99.95, including the windows and tires" Scheib anyways.

Ken S.

FieroLisa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLisaSend a Private Message to FieroLisaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, what I would have given to have sanded mine in one day! Took me about 2 weeks of several days a week, but then again done by hand. here are some pics since you guys seem to be interested in progress pics
http://fierolisa.web1000.com/carpaint.html

------------------

FieroLisa's Website *Fiero Events 2003 *Tarheel Fieros

PFF
System Bot
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
I've heard so many freakin Earl Shieb jokes from the guys at work that any jokes about my work jus doesn't register anymore. As for the code of paint i am sworn to secrecy for now but i could hook you up with something similar i suppose with Fierochics permission. And as for a price? Lets say all overs start at 2300 dollars and thjats with no body work and removing only the moldings and mirrors and other stuff. Fierochic is getting more done cause shes paying more. But can't tell you how much she is.
I have plenty of 320 for a DA is should be available at any autobody supply store.
Well i haven't had a chance to work on it anymore for 2 days but plan on finishing it up tommorrow nite and into the weekend. i keep you posted.

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET: 12.689 @ 105.91mph

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post
i gotta say, maaco does some nice paint jobs for the price. Atleast the maaco right by me. They did my dad's porsche 944 and did my sisters jetta gls. Both of them look awesome. Yea there is some overspray, but in places that you can't really notice, like the inner wheel wells....i'll try to get some pics up cause for that price you can't go wrong...

-Coop

Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2003 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:
I've heard so many freakin Earl Shieb jokes

"I'll paint any car any color. No ups, no extras". Gotta love advertising... Probably been 20 years since I seen one of his commercials and still remember it...

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
I think this is going very well. I wish I lived closer to you so I could have you paint mine.

Maaco, Never! They painted my brothers TR7, very simular body to the Fiero. They did not paint the sides of his pop-up headlights or the door frame around the windows. They also left a huge sag in the passenger rear quarter pannel. I was less than impressed. It looks good from 10 feet but come closer and you start to notice things. Not for me.

Keep the info and photos coming. I need the same thing done and am reading this post daily.

------------------
I've not forgotten.

Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
More pictures please.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TooManyFieros:

Also, did you DA the paint with 320? I can't seem to find that stuff. Closest is 220.

Hmmm... the other day, I was given 7 packages of 3M 320 grit 6" Sanding Discs (100 pieces each). 3M Part# 01035... want a pack? I can just toss one in with the other package I'll be sending shortly, if you're interested.

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Hmmm... the other day, I was given 7 packages of 3M 320 grit 6" Sanding Discs (100 pieces each). 3M Part# 01035... want a pack? I can just toss one in with the other package I'll be sending shortly, if you're interested.

ok, a little off topic, but hang onto those boxes Rob, they're collectors items! Not very many places even stock a glue-on DA disc anymore!

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Hey Rob, I'm interested! That could be very useful for me right now. Sanding everything by hand takes forever!

------------------

Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
bump
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT,

You have a P.M.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

PFF
System Bot
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroLisa:

Wow, what I would have given to have sanded mine in one day! Took me about 2 weeks of several days a week, but then again done by hand. here are some pics since you guys seem to be interested in progress pics
http://fierolisa.web1000.com/carpaint.html

FieroLisa..Ohhh...may I politely say..You are a hottie!

I louse so many girl friends form my passion with fieros. It's nice to know there is some hope that someday I
may be lucky enough to find a girl like you...Sorry I will kindly continue with my life now...

TooManyFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TooManyFierosSend a Private Message to TooManyFierosDirect Link to This Post

Looks like the good stuff. I don't want it for free though. You are coming in for Carlisle? I'll straighten out with you. Thanks.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TooManyFieros:

Looks like the good stuff. I don't want it for free though. You are coming in for Carlisle? I'll straighten out with you. Thanks.

Carlisle? Shhh... That's the plan! Sounds good, we can work out some details later then.

gangrenefiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2003 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gangrenefieroClick Here to visit gangrenefiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to gangrenefieroDirect Link to This Post
bump for Earls sake
Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2003 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
C'mon lil devil, We need new pics

------------------

Real Sports Cars, Dont Have Cup Holders!

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2003 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post
Wrapped and wet sanded with 400 grit, my hands look and feel like prunes.

Color sprayed on after the grey sealer was laid.

Quarter panel after clearcoat was applied.

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2003 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post

NOS3800

657 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Here's the hood and other pieces. Same story, wet sanded with 400 grit. The hood was a Pain in the Arse. The old bodywork kept bubbling under our primer. We hope we got it after 3 tries. We had to keep going deeper and deeper till we got to the fiberglass. Time will tell.
Heres the front cover. Notice the yellow primer. The body filler the gilbert clan used didnot harden. I had to dig out the filler and redo the nose.

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2003 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post

NOS3800

657 posts
Member since Jul 2001

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2003 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post

NOS3800

657 posts
Member since Jul 2001

All these photos are from Saturday. Me and LilDv1L started at 830 and I finished at 730pm. He finished at 900pm. I don't do any spraying except primer, so I was no longer needed, and I was glad to be out of there. There is only so much "Fiero" I can take in one day! Anyway, all the "blue" is done except two pieces we haven't gotten yet. Next will be the silver.

------------------
" I'm sorry officer, when I saw all the strobes and stickers, I thought you wanted to race!"
" Speed Kills, buy a Neon or Honda and live to be an old man."
Purple 1988 GT
Supercharged 3800 Series II V6

Best ET with 3.4 pulley-13.21@102mph

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2003 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sqoach:

Sanding everything by hand takes forever!

I TOTALLY have to agree...LOL FOREVER!!

Keep up the great work Earl...

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

PFF
System Bot
Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2003 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
It is looking good guys. Keep those pictures coming.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2003 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious... why would the filler they used not have cured? Applied too thick, not enough hardener, wrong conditions, etc? If I decided to do something like that, I'd really like to avoid having any issues with that.

Also, what kind of material did you replace it with? Thanks!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2003 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Sorry bout the filler guys. I guess you live and learn. It looks really good! Thanks for all the hard work.

Jen

Veronica's V6 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Veronica's V6 GTSend a Private Message to Veronica's V6 GTDirect Link to This Post
Jen
Wow, I bet your excited. It's going to look real sweet. Lildevil does great work, just look at his car and his brother's. Maybe one day I'll be able to get mine done the original paint is wearing thin and getting rough looking. Keep the pics coming it's interesting to follow the progress.

Vonnie

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2003 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post
The fillere was probably not mixed properly. If there is any swirls, it will not harden. The way the filler came out, that is what I suspect. Just a few patches remained soft. I used a polyester filler to repait it. Flows real smooth and easy to sand. We use it on all our finish coats because it fills nicely with the minimum of air bubbles.
RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
WOW

------------------

85 GT 4 SPD
Number 53715 of 76371
Best 1/4 15.816 @ 84.72

Accel 8.8mm wires, Accel 300+ Ignition box, Blaster Coil, NGK UR5, K&N, Short Shifter, High flow cat, Monochrome Caracus red.

COMING SOON: KYB shocks and struts, ST lowering springs, Motegi M12 16X7 rims, Poly Dogbone, Ported exhuast manifolds, and YOKO AVS ES100 tires 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear

Coulee Region Fieros member(couleefiero.tripod.com)

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post

RacinRob

1288 posts
Member since Mar 2001
double

[This message has been edited by RacinRob (edited 04-02-2003).]

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2003 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
Oooh das purdy

------------------
Rich
97 Eclipse GS-T not stock
92 325i-- intake, exhaust, and suspension
White 86 SE V6-- WCF 2" drop springs, coil-overs, KYb's

Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2003 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
What's happening Bert and Ernie?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock