Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  GT Clear Taillights Finished!!! (pics) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
GT Clear Taillights Finished!!! (pics) by MinnGreenGT
Started on: 10-22-2001 12:04 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: snafus87 on 12-01-2001 10:28 PM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Well, I know many of you have been waiting for this (as have I). And after last week's problem with the gauges, I was a little worried about taking apart my good GT taillights. But I dove in Friday night full-speed ahead, I photographed nearly everything I did- and I will post those pics once I get around to scanning them... the following are all finished photos.

Here's the process: I first removed the taillight assemblies (15 years of dirt, grime, and gunk- yuck). I then separated each assembly, removing the inserts and cleaning the lens and reflectors carefully. I cut about 1" off the red insert and painted it black (It is stuck back in the final assembly to block light from the "Pontiac" from going into the signal area). I also bought a can of Chrome paint and repainted the reflectors- they were in rather poor shape themselves. I then used a clear bathroom silicone to "glue" in the pre-shaped lenses (these cured overnight). I cleaned all the sockets, and replaced bulbs. Turn Signals are APC amber 1156 LEDs, Stop/Brake lights are APC red 1157 LEDs, Backup Lights are PIAA Hyperwhite 1156 bulbs, and the PONTIAC uses Raybring green 194 bulbs. All the bulbs went in fine except the amber LEDs. They have a slightly different profile shape which required me to cut down the top edge of the socket just enough to get the bulb to seat properly (that was annoying).

Saturday morning I resealed both assemblies (small spots of silicone around the edges) and re-installed them in the car! As previously known, I had to remove/unplug the third brakelight below the roofline- the quartz bulb causes a bad ground when using LEDs. I'm going to eventually rewire it for another 1157 LED and put a white lens in it as well.

My final issue [EDIT]which has been solved in the Technical Discussion section[/EDIT] is that my Turn signal relay appears to no longer work. Not sure if this is a bad relay or an issue with the LEDs... any suggestions there would be helpful. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/014659.html
[EDIT]It was the relay... the LEDs don't create the load that the original bulbs did, so I needed an "electronic variable-load" flasher unit ($12)[/EDIT]

The basic "Before and After" pics

The night-series of the lights... The brake lights really just glow brighter red- the camera saw it as being more of a orange. And the Backup lights are WAY bright- almost like having another set of headlights in the back.

The "Pontiac" showing the Texture, then Illuminated (Green bulbs)

A closer shot of the red taillight and turn signal.

Another finished pic in the garage

Couple of shots this morning (a little chilly)

For anyone who may have missed the original thread about making the clear insert lens, check it out here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/010073.html

As for those interested in buying these lenses- preshaped for the GT lights... I'm not quite that far yet. I'm going to start working on a wood/Bondo form so they have a better, cleaner, and more precise fit (mine are only about 95% fit quality of what I want).

So, what do you think...?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-22-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTDusty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDustySend a Private Message to GTDustyDirect Link to This Post
Great job! They look really good. I think they would look great on my white GT but in Texas we have to 'shine and reflect red' as far as the tail lights are concerned. Looks really great though, especially on silver, white, and black cars.

Dusty

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Minn... THOSE LOOK GREAT!!!!! I love someone who step's up to the plate to do something *different*...

GTDusty.... Nice to see another Texan here... Where's Grandbury??? Steve...

------------------
NOS Injected 2.8L V/6
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDusty:
...in Texas we have to 'shine and reflect red' as far as the tail lights are concerned.

That really shouldn't be an issue on the Fiero... it has the red reflectors built into the lower rear fascia.

Smooooth- Thanks!

bocefas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocefasSend a Private Message to bocefasDirect Link to This Post
OUTSTANDING!!! Sign me up when you're ready to produce these...I have a spare set of taillights if you're going to have an exchange policy
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
GREAT JOB!
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Those look great, Rob!
When I get the chance, I'm going to re-do my tail lights with that light cover stuff. I like the texture on it. I also need some new red bulbs.

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

^^^^^new project^^^^^

• 86 SC 2.5L 5spd
  • IP: Logged
    Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
    Very Nice! They look great at night! Wow!
    Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    SWEET I've been imagining them in my head, fooling around with photoshop, and trying to find something online that I could compare to.....but this is above and beyond anything I expected!

That looks awesome Minn; I plan on doing this very soon. I am going to order up some of those LEDs once the cash lands in my lap, and then I'll make a weekend project out of it. My friend has done kind of the same thing on his Beretta, and I've watched him do it. Everything except the mold for the plastic is quite easy, that's the only part he doesn't do.

If you get an ambition pill and have that mold ready soon, put me WAY up on the list of people ordering. I am in the middle of too many other projects right now to do that, but rest assured, as soon as I have the time I am all over it!

Quick question...do you have any larger resolution pictures? Those are some great pics, but they're kinda small. If you don't want to post, you can email them to my profile address...that would be AWESOME.

Bryce
    88 GT

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
    They look great! Nice job!

------------------

James Essar
    AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
    Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
    WOW. I'm not normally a fan of clear lights (waaaaay too many Hondas and Acuras have them) but this does, indeed look very nice. I don't know if I'll ever change the GT I have but I would definitely do it if I had a second one (or a second set of lights).

------------------

PFF
    System Bot
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Nashco- I'll email you the "works" in high resolution... but I still have to scan my "working" pictures, so you'll get the digital shots first.

As to the LEDs... save your nickels & dimes- total cost on the entire light set (4 Red LEDs, 4 Amber LEDs, 2 HyperWhites, 4 Green 194s) ran about $200. Ouch! If you're not in a hurry, check with FieroLoki... he can get them about $10 cheaper than I could, but there can be a wait.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, total time to install ended up around 6 hours. Spent 5 hours Friday night removing, cleaning, cutting, gluing, & painting- allowed everything to dry/cure overnight, then installed in the morning (1 hour or less). [/EDIT]

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-22-2001).]

jeffreyeffrey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffreyeffreySend a Private Message to jeffreyeffreyDirect Link to This Post
    looks nice minn. I've done the nearly the same clean out procedure to my '86 GT a few times. Those Minnesota gravel roads really take their toll after a year or two.
    fierobaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
    wow lookin' great minn. I would never ever put them on my car... would look silly but they look great on your car! mine need polished soooo badly!!!! I like the green Pontiac though
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffreyeffrey:
    looks nice minn. I've done the nearly the same clean out procedure to my '86 GT a few times. Those Minnesota gravel roads really take their toll after a year or two.

Hey fellow cold-weather Minnesotan! Alden... wow- you're a ways south- just north and west of Austin, right? Hope you can make it to some of our little gatherings- maybe we need to try for one more before the season is gone! Again- welcome.

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
    sweet! thats all i gotta say about that
    Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
    Lookin' good!

------------------
    Boomtastic

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
    Minn I love em!! I want some but I want to keep my mint stock ones stock.. how much could you sell me a pair of those for..ready and all?
    Thanks
    Alex
    Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
    MinnGreenGt--Care to send me the hi-res digipics, too? I want to see what they'd look like on my red GT. Now I'm debating between those and ferrari_momos' tail lights. Hmmm...about the same cost either way. Decisions, decisions.
    Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
    Amazing! It's not for me, but you certainly did a good job with them. Looks very good.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Cheever3000

12398 posts
    Member since Aug 2001

Where's Grandbury???
    My map thingy shows it about 40 miles SW of Fort Worth. At US-377 & SR-144, southwest of SR-171.

PFF
    System Bot
    85ZainoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85ZainoGTSend a Private Message to 85ZainoGTDirect Link to This Post
    wow man that is awesome.. how much for my set up you fellow fiero lover you?

------------------
    Paul Ventimiglia
    1985 White/Silver GT
    2.8L 4 Speed LOADED :)

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
    Now lets see those babies tinted.. Looks nice anyway, and I also am not usually a fan of the clear taillights.

-Sootah

------------------

Never pull your pants down in Cosco, the dang monkeys will getcha
    AIM: KSSouter

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
    Lookin pimp MinnGreen....Glad I could help. (even with the wait) If you need more lemme know, ill see if they got more in.

------------------

ICQ# 16477998

Fiero*101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero*101Send a Private Message to Fiero*101Direct Link to This Post
    I Like I Like

------------------
    Fiero*101
    Gold 86 SE 2M6

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2001 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
    i like 'em, but i like then more on light colored cars. i'd be looking at blacking out or tinting them on a dark car. my gt is silver so i think i'd like them on it. i'd want the side markers clear too though.
    Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2001 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    Loki, not sure if you check your PM inbox, but you've got a fresh one from me

Bryce
    88 GT

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2001 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
    Looking good Minn. Can we just call you Green Rice now J/K
    I am just wondering how it would look with the whole centre section between the lights done in clear also.

------------------

My Fiero | Fiero Accessories

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2001 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Just want to throw out a quick thanks to everyone for their comments! I'm just glad it turned out well. I'm going to start on the molding bucks shortly and hopefully get and idea of what it'll take to make these for other people.

AUS- GreenRice? Is that like Green Eggs & Ham?

IF you could find a way to replace the complete outer lens, it would look pretty cool to run the clear over the entire thing- I was thinking that someone could paint the black area to match their body color too. But the way I made 'em, it's just an insert that gets glued into the original lens (two pieces actually- one for the signal area, and one for the pontiac).

Thanks again everyone... and I'll keep you updated as to my progress.

------------------

88CoupeV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2001 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88CoupeV6Click Here to visit 88CoupeV6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88CoupeV6Direct Link to This Post
    I like it. Came out good.

------------------
    Josh

:D
    My pics

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2001 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    If anybody is considering this, check out JCWhitney for lights! They have them for 9.95 each (APC LEDs)!!! They have just about any light you could want to do this project for 9.95 each.

Bryce
    88 GT

PFF
    System Bot
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Nascho- good find! Damn! I checked JC Whitney a few months ago when I started the project, but they didn't have any LEDs at the time... that would've saved me at least $60 overall! Again-good find.
    Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
    my cars getting jealous because everyone is showing off there clear tailights, so I told it I would post a pic. I did these about a year and a hlaf ago. (btw, would red neon light tubes hold up to being used as brake lights if I put them in the bucket and put red strobes in for the turn signals?)

here it is!

I thought I would dig up my how to thread on it too.
    https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20010924-1-006083.html

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 10-26-2001).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    I see... I searched the regular catalog. But you have go into the "sport compact" area and select lighting.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=160544&BQ=sc
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
    Member since Jul 2001
    Formula... I think (if you could wire in the neons...) it could work, but what would you do for the different brightness? And a neon might produce too solid of a light source... you may want to consider some sort of light diffuser (the LED bulbs wouldn't be very good if you didn't have the diffuser either). Oh yeah, I couldn't quite see your clear lens on the pic above... but it shows up better on the closeup you posted in another thread.
    Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2001 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
    I have a red neon in my back window for the third brake light now (now wired yet) and I replaced the real third brake light cover with a clear one and put blue strobes in it (like the tail end of an airplane) So I'll mess with the internal light first (its cold) and I'll tell everyone how it worked out before I buy more neons for the brake lights.

edit* just noticed you can't see then neon because of my hood scoop, I'll try mounting it behind the real third brake light somehow. LMAO

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 10-26-2001).]

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2001 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    Quick update on the bulbs. I finished my lenses for the GT, just have to get the rest of the bulbs.

For anybody interested, you can get the 1157 red LED APC bulbs from Autozone for 7.99!! That's the best price yet, and that's where Loki was getting them...holding out on us Loki?? BAD Loki! LOL...

They only had red 1156, no orange. I'm going to go back and buy a couple more 1157 as they only stock two at a time, and ask if they can get the amber 1156 bulbs as well. I'll let you know if I hear any more on this.

So, for the record, get the 1157 LEDs at Autozone (accumulated savings of 8 dollars plus shipping compared to jcwhitney.com) and get the other bulbs from jcwhitney.com.

If anybody else has done this, share some pics! I'm trying to figure out what look I want to go for...waiting on my digital camera that's on it's way and I can start fooling with Photoshop.

Bryce
    88 GT

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2001 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    I finally got my amber LEDs from jcwhitney today and did the clear tails. It's really not as drastic of a change as I was expecting, very subtle. I'm pleased I'm most pleased with the quality of the lighting from the LEDs. From an angle they look just like regular lights, but from straight behind (for the bumper chasers ) they are VERY bright, definitely can't be missed.

I ran into the same problem with the flasher unit that MinnGreen did, LEDs won't flash with the stock flasher unit. I totally forgot about that, and I'll be picking up a different flasher relay tomorrow.

Here are some pics if anybody's interested. They're not much different from the ones already posted.
    http://home1.gte.net/jbnash/fiero/clearlights/clearsalllitup.jpg
    This pic was taken at 9pm! I love my new camera http://home1.gte.net/jbnash/fiero/clearlights/clearsfakeday.jpg
    Comparison stuff: http://home1.gte.net/jbnash/fiero/clearlights/stocktails.jpg http://home1.gte.net/jbnash/fiero/clearlights/stocktailsfakeday.jpg

Thanks for the helpful info and the creative idea MinnGreen!

Bryce
    88 GT

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2001 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Nashco- glad to see that it worked out for you! Did you just heat & bend the lens? How'd that go for ya Also, did you just "glue" in the lens? I used silicone and it works fine. Glad to see that you worked it out!
    Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2001 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    I heated my plastic in the oven (heats very quickly)...cheap and easy for those of us living in apartments with no heat guns

It took a little practice before I actually did my pieces, but it's not too hard. The hardest part was getting a good pattern to base the plastic inserts from, so the compound curve surface area was accounted for.

I just used a little bead of silicone around a few strategically located spots. I used clear, and you really don't even need that much. Mine are just temporarily in there, until I either make a better set of inserts (perfect or damn near it)..or until I make a different style (like those you started to attempt and AusFiero is considering making). I know it will take a while, but I really like the looks, and can't drop the $200 right now.

Bryce
    88 GT

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock