Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  M90 Supercharged 4.9 and Short Distributor w/ External coil (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
M90 Supercharged 4.9 and Short Distributor w/ External coil by FriendOfYours
Started on: 08-13-2011 04:13 AM
Replies: 229
Last post by: Will on 03-20-2013 08:07 PM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
The victim...

The supercharger is easy to see... barely fits underhood
IP: Logged
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
here are some of the modifications I plan to make to the supercharger....

The yellow circle is where I plan to press in a freeze plug to seal off the bypass valve passage. This has to be done because the 4.9 distributor is right below this area.

The blue area is where I plan to grind a new hole into the bypass passage... so that the bypass valve will still be functional and allow air to flow from the plenum

The rib in the red circle will be grinded away to allow air to flow from the plenum to the bypass passage

The pink circle is where the pcv valve pulls crank case gas... here I plan to drill a hole in the metal plate where this hole is and weld in a nipple so I can connect a hose and route it to a valve cover on the 4.9

The purple circles are ports that will need to be plugged

The green circles will not be used and will be covered by the metal plate

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 02-21-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by ace5514:

wouldn't it be easier to adapt it to the stock 4.9 TBI style intake with the injectors in the ports? also can you use a distributorless ignition system on it to save space also?

The Allante intake is what I have... and they say it flows better than the stock 4.9 intake anyway.

In my situation, the supercharger fits under the hood with the stock distributor. It would be easier for me to leave the distributor alone... Plus it is easier to alter ignition timing on a distributor in boosted conditions (with an MSD box #5462)

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 01-09-2013).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:
The four studs for the Allante upper plenum is not sufficient for a supercharger plenum.
The supercharger is big and heavy and belt driven and it takes force to drive it... and needs a strong base to hold it

While a wider support base is always better, I wouldn't have said that the Allante mounting studs are inadequate.
However, in your shoes, I might enlarge the studs from 8mm to 10mm.
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post

Here is a view of my small belt tensioner assembly... I didn't need to do any changes to it for the supercharger...

Hey MAX CUBES, where or what did you get the tensioner from?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 81 4.9L X-11:
Hey MAX CUBES, where or what did you get the tensioner from?

Fits 1993 to 1997 Buick Roadmaster, Cadillac Fleetwood, Chevrolet Camaro Caprice Impala, Pontiac Firebird. With 3.4 and 4.3 and 5.7 engines.

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 01-10-2013).]

81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post

Fits 1993 to 1997 Buick Roadmaster, Cadillac Fleetwood, Chevrolet Camaro Caprice Impala, Pontiac Firebird. With 3.4 and 4.3 and 5.7 engines.

Thanx, any chance you can measure the distance between each of the bolt holes? Outside to outside is probably the easiest. Looks like it's close to the size I'm looking for on a project.

Cheers

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Thanx, any chance you can measure the distance between each of the bolt holes? Outside to outside is probably the easiest. Looks like it's close to the size I'm looking for on a project.

Cheers

distance between two holes on tensioner is 4 7/8" .... distance between holes on the custom little curved bracket is 1 5/8"
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by hercimer01:

You can put a smaller pulley on it, that will help a little for clearance.

Yes...the smaller pulley would be good .... for extra clearance and extra air flow for the larger 4.9
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Which leads me to a question....

With the added displacement of a 4.9 versus 3.8
... and a smaller pulley to increase supercharger rpm and flow

... would it be a good idea to utilize an adapter and mount a larger northstar throttle?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
picture...

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
You seem to know lots about Throttle Bodies, FOY says this is the TB from the 94 Northstar motor and it is supposed to use the same Idle Control Motor as the stock 4.9 intake. Do you happen to know the diameter of the stock 4.9 TB vs this Northstar TB?

Here are the pics I copied from FOY's build thread on my car with the custom intake.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
1999 and older northstar throttle is 73mm .... 75mm for 2000 and newer northstars... throttle on 3800sc is 69mm

I couldn't find any info on 4.9 throttle.... but it looks too small for any decent flow

Is your intake manifold modified to handle the extra flow? .... Because the twin bores on the manifold are the same size as the stock 4.9 throttle bores.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes he cut out the holes in the intake, and opened it right up.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
A couple of quick progress photos from my crappy cell phone...

welded on the walls to the lower part of my plenum
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Just about ready to weld on the upper plate that the supercharger bolts onto...

Still need to cut the eight individual holes for the runners thru the plenum floor

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by fourtune8

Why green for the valve covers?

My car used to be green but later painted silver and have yet to repaint the valve covers

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
....I would like to gather some opinion if someone is reading this.....

Ok... so the 4.9 is rated at having a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio which is a bit high in boosted engines...

so would it be a good idea to reduce compression ratio by porting the combustion cambers to a larger cc ?

..... or should I just leave the heads alone.
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
I wouldn't mess with the combustion chambers - only a CNC will get them consistent and that's not cost effective. If you do any head work, porting the runners to gasket match is worth the effort and something you can do yourself. The compression ratio will be more of a factor as you increase boost, which is why I asked about the inner cooler - not required but helps a lot.

There's another 4.9L supercharge thread that posted the flow rates of the 4.9 and the supercharger - don't know the specifics but it seemed to me that it wouldn't build too much boost rather just really help the 49s low flow design.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Mine is not a 4.9 but my boosted engine is intercooled and alcohol/water injected (windshield washer fluid) for knock control. Just another option for boosting high compression engines.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't mess with the combustion chambers - only a CNC will get them consistent and that's not cost effective. If you do any head work, porting the runners to gasket match is worth the effort and something you can do yourself. The compression ratio will be more of a factor as you increase boost, which is why I asked about the inner cooler - not required but helps a lot.

There's another 4.9L supercharge thread that posted the flow rates of the 4.9 and the supercharger - don't know the specifics but it seemed to me that it wouldn't build too much boost rather just really help the 49s low flow design.

Have you done this kind of work on heads with success?
I ask because of the horror stories I've heard on the other threads about removing the heads for modification...
.... and after reinstallation there are soon failures with head bolt threads and blown head gaskets.
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Mine is not a 4.9 but my boosted engine is intercooled and alcohol/water injected (windshield washer fluid) for knock control. Just another option for boosting high compression engines.

Yea I wish I could sandwich a decent intercooler under the supercharger... But the supercharger barely fits under the hood without an intercooler.

....One advantage I have (versus other 4.9s in fieros) .... is that I am using a 7730 ecm to run the 4.9 (1991 camaro 305 TPI prom)
.... which uses a knock sensor unlike the 4.9 ecm. This knock sensor may save me from blowing the engine!

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 01-24-2013).]

81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post

Have you done this kind of work on heads with success?
I ask because of the horror stories I've heard on the other threads about removing the heads for modification...
.... and after reinstallation there are soon failures with head bolt threads and blown head gaskets.

Yup, runs great..

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120549.html
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Yea I wish I could sandwich a decent intercooler under the supercharger... But the supercharger barely fits under the hood without an intercooler.

....One advantage I have (versus other 4.9s in fieros) .... is that I am using a 7730 ecm to run the 4.9 (1991 camaro 305 TPI prom)
.... which uses a knock sensor unlike the 4.9 ecm. This knock sensor may save me from blowing the engine!

I guess I should have thought a bit before I made that post. My alcohol injection point is after the turbo and before the intake. None of which works on a supercharger mounted on the top of your engine. Sorry about that.

81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Any progress?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
I am out of the country right now... Will be back to progress in about a week
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
OK... got some more progress done today...
I am determined to get this done and running... still have more work to do...
but I am almost finished with the plenum box...I have finished welding it all together
....need to do some more drilling and porting for the intake runners

....I have also done some research on the GEN5 supercharger (found on 2004 and newer Grand Prix's)
A newer, more efficient and cooler running supercharger....
would fit easily on my new plenum.... would just need to open up the plenum lid a bit more.

Anyway... I will post a couple more pics soon!
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Yea Hoooo!!!

Just won me a low mile Gen 5 Supercharger off ebay!!

pic...

.... and the good news is that all the bolt holes are in the same place

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
outlet side...

Of course I will not use the 'fly by wire' throttle that came with this gen 5 supercharger
... I will fabricate an adapter to use either a northstar or LT1 throttle... not sure which one yet
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

Look what you made me do! Its a race now

Looks like "Friend of yours" is out of the race now

... Just me and you
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here is a picture of a Gen 5 supercharger gasket laying on top of an older series II intake manifold....

You can see that it would be a simple matter of enlarging the plenum for use with the newer supercharger's larger outlet

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Anyway... some more progress photos...

Here is a shot of my plenum box before I cut holes for the runners...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
A side view...

Yes the weld is pretty rough... Using my little 120 volt stick welder
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
FWIW, I bet this adapter would work.

http://www.tcemotorsports.c...virtuemart&Itemid=26

you might take some measurements and call or email Marc...

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Here is a photo from today... Drilled the eight holes for the intake runners to match up with the Allante lower intake...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Bottom view...

I am finally almost done with this "box"
... It may look easy to make this... but it has taken me many hours of measuring, cutting, welding and test fitting.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
The yellow line represents the area that will be cut out to extend the opening for the Gen 5 supercharger...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by ericjon262:

FWIW, I bet this adapter would work.

http://www.tcemotorsports.c...virtuemart&Itemid=26

you might take some measurements and call or email Marc...

Thank you... I'll look into that... I dont think I will use the LT1 throttle. The Northstar throttle looks easier to adapt and flows better
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
Looking good. Yours looks better with the allante intake =P
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
A quick shot of progress so far...

...that is the newer 5th generation supercharger I will be running now

...and it now sits on the completed plenum that took me many hours of hard work to finish.

The major fabrication work is done...Still need to acquire some more hardware to get this thing on the road... MSD timing box, rising rate regulator, undersize pulley, northstart throttle and adapter, longer belt, etc etc
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock