Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  M90 Supercharged 4.9 and Short Distributor w/ External coil (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
M90 Supercharged 4.9 and Short Distributor w/ External coil by FriendOfYours
Started on: 08-13-2011 04:13 AM
Replies: 229
Last post by: Will on 03-20-2013 08:07 PM
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

Also, where's the alternator going to go?

Heres a bad photo of where I have the alternator mounted. I used one off a 3800, I have yet to wire it though. Good news is that the top of the intake manifold has a lot of extra room =)

[This message has been edited by arte444 (edited 05-10-2012).]

IP: Logged
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
any progress ?
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
81 4.9L X-11

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post
Any updates ??
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
...I plan to do what you guys are doing ,,,, but in a slightly different way,,,,,,

I plan to cut OFF the part of the supercharger that would hit the distributor... and duct the throttle mount above the distributor without having to modify the cap

...I plan to cut the supercharger in a couple of days.... and I will post some photos
arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I thought of cutting it as well but I was too scared. good luck =)
bamman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2012 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see better pictures of your low alternator mounting set up. I did a search and came up with this "https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20120111-2-111991.html" .

[This message has been edited by bamman (edited 12-24-2012).]

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bamman:

I would like to see better pictures of your low alternator mounting set up. I did a search and came up with this "https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20120111-2-111991.html" .

Those are some good ones on the link you posted.

Here are some of my pics. Right now im not going to use the extra idler between the crank and alternator. I might have to though.

http://i.imgur.com/NFgZY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NqGYA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yJzKT.jpg
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
....I have made some great progress on my version of the supercharged 4.9

After a great deal of thought, measuring, and test fitting .... I was able to get the supercharger to fit under the hood.... without cutting off the throttle mount

The coil will need to be remotely located and the 8 cable terminals on the distributor cap will need to be "bent" to a position so that the spark plug wires will be plugged in horizontally.

.....The best part is that it is going to fit WITH the stock 4.9 alternator in its original position !!! I did some grinding on the bottom of the alternator mount so that the alternator will sit as low as possible... and grinded down one of the ribbs on the supercharger extension housing

It is very fortunate that the extension housing on the GM M90 supercharger is very long.... if it was any shorter, the alternator would not fit.
It is also very fortunate that the fiero hood has a bubble.... The supercharger wouldn't fit without it

I will try to get some photos taken and hopefully posted tomorro

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 12-26-2012).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here is a before shot.....

...I been driving this for several years now... and the time has come for a performance upgrade

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 01-08-2013).]

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

....I have made some great progress on my version of the supercharged 4.9

After a great deal of thought, measuring, and test fitting .... I was able to get the supercharger to fit under the hood.... without cutting off the throttle

The coil will need to be remotely located and the 8 cable terminals on the distributor cap will need to be "bent" to a position so that the spark plug wires will be plugged in horizontally.

.....The best part is that it is going to fit WITH the stock 4.9 alternator in its original position !!! I did some grinding on the bottom of the alternator mount so that the alternator will sit as low as possible... and grinded down one of the ribbs on the supercharger extension housing

It is very fortunate that the extension housing on the GM M90 supercharger is very long.... if it was any shorter, the alternator would not fit.
It is also very fortunate that the fiero hood has a bubble.... The supercharger wouldn't fit without it

I will try to get some photos taken and hopefully posted tomorro

With the M90 pulley aligned you definitely have to move the coil to fit it under the hood. I'm interested in the remote coil =)
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like you adapted a Vortec distributor to the Caddy 4.9?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Ok... here is my hack job in progress.... it barely... and I mean bearly fits under the hood...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
obvoiusly I still need to weld up a plenum under the supercharger....

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
The best news is that the distributor actually fits without modification to the cap .... barely!!! ... a lot would depend on how high your 4.9 sits on the cradle...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here you can how the alternator barely fits... I had to grind off a rib on the extension housing and grind on the underside of the alternator mount so that the alternator would sit as low as possible...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here you can see I grinded away on the underside of the alternator mount.... This bracket is modified to sit low and previously modified to fit on the Allante intake also...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here is a view of the belt arrangement I will be running with belt being loosely test fitted...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here is a view of my small belt tensioner assembly... I didn't need to do any changes to it for the supercharger...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
A view of the tensioner installed...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Like I said, It all barely fits... Hood closed, you can see how high the supercharger pulley sits ... I had to grind on the vent fins a little bit so the pulley and belt wouldn't rubb...

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
In this shot you can see the chunk I had to grind off the hood to clear the supercharger extension housing...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Another view...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Last photo...

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I dont see any pictures
EDIT :Opened in internet explorer and it worked.

[This message has been edited by arte444 (edited 12-27-2012).]

81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Direct Link to This Post

Any chance a ZZP inner cooler could fill the gap ??

Pics show up fine..
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Would probably make the blower sit to high and hit the deck lid. Granted I am personally not against cutting the deck lid and adding a scoop.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 81 4.9L X-11:

Any chance a ZZP inner cooler could fill the gap ??

Hmmmm.... Good idea !!

The kits are quite pricey... but... after looking at the design it looks basicly like a simple heater core stuffed into a spacer

.... since I still need to fabricate a plenum... it looks like it may be possible to simply design one with a heater core (intercooler) integrated within.... without needing to make it any higher... I may have plenty of room to do this since my supercharger sits so high to clear the distributor and alternator anyway

+++ for you
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
You can put a smaller pulley on it, that will help a little for clearance.

Like I said, It all barely fits... Hood closed, you can see how high the supercharger pulley sits ... I had to grind on the vent fins a little bit so the pulley and belt wouldn't rubb...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
ok..some progress today on getting a plenum made for the supercharger.
I found some nice thick 1/4 inch iron plates and started measuring, drilling, grinding and test fitting.
Lots and lots of measuring before I weld...
And will post some more pictures soon
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Why steel rather than aluminum?
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Yes aluminum would be lighter... But steel is less likely to warp during welding.
I'm much more familier with welding on steel... It wont look as good as aluminum, but it will not be seen anyway... once the supercharger is bolted on.
The strength of steel is a plus in this case... especially with the stress of a heavy belt driven supercharger riding on top.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
... a few quick words on my progress...

First the good news...
It looks like I will be able to keep both the bypass valve and pvc valve on the supercharger functional.

Bad news...
It will not have an intercooler... Just not enough space to squeeze in a decent size intercooler.
.... a very small one would fit... But then it wouldn't cool the air efficiently and would be a flow restriction.
If I wanted to put in a big efficient intercooler then I would have to raise the supercharger even higher and cut a huge hole in the hood and right side grill to clear (not what I want to do)
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Ok... some more hack job photos.... ....

The lower plenum portion.
...used an allante plenum gasket and some yellow paint and drilled away
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
test fitting the lower portion of the plenum on the engine...

....There are 10 holes in this plate of metal... .wherever there was a threaded hole in the Allante intake... I drilled a corresponding hole
The four studs for the Allante upper plenum is not sufficient for a supercharger plenum.
The supercharger is big and heavy and belt driven and it takes force to drive it... and needs a strong base to hold it
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
wouldn't it be easier to adapt it to the stock 4.9 TBI style intake with the injectors in the ports? also can you use a distributorless ignition system on it to save space also?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
And here is the the upper portion of the plenum (where the supercharger will mount on).....

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Test fitting the upper portion of the plenum...

I still have more grinding to do on this plate.... so I can have a little access to bolts and nuts below

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 01-09-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Top view...

....still need to weld on the walls... a sort of funnel to the lower 8 ports
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
another view with supercharger in place...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock