Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  DIY, How to Paint your Fiero the right way for cheap! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
DIY, How to Paint your Fiero the right way for cheap! by DeLorean00
Started on: 04-03-2008 01:10 AM
Replies: 123
Last post by: zkhennings on 07-03-2012 11:29 AM
Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
I actually attend my local community college, and there are pretty much zero classes involving anything with cars. I was thinking, because I lack a non-windy and sterile enviroment to paint, that maybe I will sand it down, buy some GM Paint (Torch Red!) and take it to a Maaco or something and have them do it plus some clear. I'd probably have them add some flex agent too, not sure if GM paint uses it as much today. They do the same thing I would do except they usually don't sand it as far as I know..

That guide coat looks like a very good idea. I'll have to look for that.

[This message has been edited by Samohtneas (edited 01-16-2009).]

IP: Logged
86SEin93003

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SEin93003Send a Private Message to 86SEin93003Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 725franky:

So, if I were to use this http://www.tcpglobal.com/re...mno=RSP+AE2912-KIT-F paint would I need to use a flex agent?

Thanks for all of the great info in this thread.

Frank

a little late but this is what i used on my fiero
http://www.tcpglobal.com/re...ionshop/rsp2105.aspx
and this one on my 3rd gen T/A
http://www.tcpglobal.com/re...ionshop/rsp2105.aspx

everything you need comes when you order the paint minus the Respirator i paid no more the $120 for each of the paint kits.
this is the tech sheet i used for AE paint..
http://www.tcpglobal.com/re...ocs/techsheet_ae.pdf

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I figure I will bump this thread so maybe some new people can find it useful.

------------------

deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
I'll tell you what cheap and good is...Wagner Control Spray and Van Sickle Tractor enamel with hardener.

I was holding back to see how well it held up, and after a year of -20 to 100+ extremes, it looks great and has really held up well.

Seems a waste to spend $2000 to paint a $500 car...total expense to paint including the Control Spray painter was about $150.

Sorry, no photos...I'll get some and post. The cute 23 year old girl at work thought I got a new car. Oooooooh yeah...

------------------

Englishrafe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for this thread !!
This has inspired me to do it myself.

------------------

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
"Just keeping a great thread alive" Bump
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2009 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
Im glad to see this post. Me painting mostly steel cars. Having to deal with block sanding and skin coats to get the body pretty
Not saying Im a body man or a painter. It takes me 5 weeks to get a car the way I want it. With the Feiro I can put my hammer,Dollies and welder away
I guess I be learning to glass

Moved into my new (to me) House I need to biuld a grarge.. If it ever stops raining.
I have my 442 Olds and Vair stored.

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2009 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I used Nason paint and was very pleased. Believe my total cost was less than $350 with primer, base and clear. Including the respirator.
Next one I do I'm not pulling all the panels. Make a nice job but is a lot of work.

One tip to add: most primers are available color tinted. Doing so makes coverage much easier if you changing color or priming the complete car. Your not limited to gary or oxide red anymore...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102574.html

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-15-2009).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2009 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Bump, for anyone needing painting info.
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2009 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
bump
thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Direct Link to This Post
quick ? What about ventalation and flash hazards from the paint fumes when the compressor kicks on. should the compressor be outside and lighting, etc sealed to prevent fume buildup and the possibility for a flash fire, or set a high volume fan at the bottom of the garage door so it draws the air out and not worry about it?
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thumper_64735:

What about ventalation and flash hazards from the paint fumes ....

If the solvent fume concentration gets high enough to be flammable, you shouldn't be breathing it. In fact, you should have stopped breathing it a long time ago. You do need to provide for positive ventilation for whatever you're using as a paint booth.
DavePatron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavePatronClick Here to visit DavePatron's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavePatronDirect Link to This Post
what kind of paint are you useing?

------------------
want a real upgrade?
Lamborghini Kit Cars

DavePatron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavePatronClick Here to visit DavePatron's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavePatronDirect Link to This Post

DavePatron

159 posts
Member since Sep 2009
what kind of paint are you useing?

------------------
want a real upgrade?
Lamborghini Kit Cars

thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Direct Link to This Post
ok, sounds good. I work with fiberglass alot and was just wondering if there was much difference for ventalation. Doesn't sound like it. Reading this thread has inspired me to redo mine, as well as my wife's fieros.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive been painting cars since 1964 with compressor in the garage where Im painting. Ive never had a problem obviously with a flash fire. In fact every shop I worked in including now has a natural gas fired furnace for heat. Like already said when the concentration is high enough to explode you would already be dead from asphysiation. Most shop fires have been caused by oily rags or stacks of paper in the corner. I actually know a guy that puts out his cig butts in a tub of laquer thinner he uses to clean his gun. Hes 65.
wolf63

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Direct Link to This Post
ok, so yes its snowing again outside, but spring is only a couple of months away and i need to start gathering the change from the couch cushions to get ready to paint:-) I've read through this thread (great thread by the way) and have a few questions.
i see info for repainting the same color and info for changing the color. what about both...at the same time:-) here's the thing, i have a red 84 notch back, the body is red but I've made a custom extractor hood (was gold) and i will need to replace the passenger door so who knows what color it will be. do i need to prime the whole car to make the color change parts match the original red parts when its done? can i just prime the color change parts? how long after the prime do i have to wait before i apply the color? secondly, i want to paint it black below the trim line and on the roof, how long after the red color coat do i have to wait to safely mask it off to add the black? if i understand, the order will be: wash, sand, wash, mask, prime, unmask, sand, wash, re-mask, color coat red, secondary mask (for black lower section), color coat (black), remove secondary mask, clear coat, final unmask, color sand, buff. is this right?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Bump for the summer painters !
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just a little tidbit for you home painters. Catalyzed 2 part paint and primers need to be used either way out in the country or in a closed building/booth. I just had a guy who painted his car at home in his garage stop by last week. He left the door open to allow ventilation and to keep cool (its been 90* here). He parked his own cars across the street in a parking lot for the day. His next door neighbors didnt know. Just cost him $500 to have his neighbors 2 newer cars wet sanded and buffed out to get all the baked on overspray removed. One was black and one dark blue. Uncatalyzed paint overspray dries before it goes 50 feet in the open air. Any that does stick on anything can be wiped off with reducer on a rag or even just cleaner polish. Make sure you also use a respirator mask.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a primer question. Didn't want to start a new thread so hopefully I can get a response in here. I see mainly PPG epoxy primer recommended but between the cost and availability (can only seem to find it on one site), would it be a bad idea to go with this http://www.azautobodysupply.com/ma2kpoprsu541.html? It still looks like it's a good quality, catalyzed primer so I don't see there should be any problems. Plus, it looks to be about half the price of epoxy primer. Another factor is that the AZautobody site has everything else I wanted to get as far as prep so it'd be much more convenient to just order a primer from them. Thanks!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I just wanted to bump this thread so that anyone who missed it can have a chance to read it. Painting a car can be a fun DIY project!
PFF
System Bot
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
I got my compressor from harbor freight last week. I'm planning on painting both of the cars I got in the garage in the near future. This thread is just what I needed to get inspired and to get me started..
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

to this...

excellent work
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Guys!! I am glad this helped. A lot of smart people in this thread have added great info.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
A "great thread" Bump
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

A "great thread" Bump

Thank you for keeping this out of the archives!
CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Painted a car this weekend and all went well.
First paint job with a gun and not a rattle can.

One thing I noticed when putting down the base coat is that the over spray looked to have a stringy appearance in the air.
Question - what causes this and how to prevent in the future?

Thanks ahead of time for any help answering this question

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
Poly all around, Koni's & Lowered
LQ1 powered

[This message has been edited by CC Rider (edited 03-05-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If it had a string appearance, it was not thinned correctly. It was too thick. It should be a very fine mist.

Most paint shops will only use the products they use everyday. I run into trouble using customer supplied stuff all the time, so I wont do it either

GM dont have any paint or make any. They buy it just like you and I do from manufacturers like Dupont, Ditzler, PPG, etc. GM for years back in the 70s mostly used R&M paint and thats what I bought to get the best matches.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-05-2012).]

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger!
I was hoping you or Chris would respond.
Lesson learned

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
LQ1 powered

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
basecoat/ clearcoat systems are VERY specific with mix ratios...even more with the clear. You can get away with making the basecolor thinner, but not thicker. I generally mix mine 50/50 paint and reducer. Most colors still completely cover in 2 coats. Ive had a few, usualy reds that take 4-5 coats to cover.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post
+1 DeLorean00!
This is great!
PFF
System Bot
84candyorangeduke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84candyorangedukeSend a Private Message to 84candyorangedukeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ytzman:

has anyone tried the Dupli-colour Paint Shop paint?
Very Inexpesive, ready to use out of the can - it's a laquer.... I think.
Just curious.

I just finished spraying my 84 SE with the duplicolor paint shop candy system. I was very impressed with how well it worked especially for a pre-mix. I used my own lacquer primer and duplicolors candy base (silver), candy coat (orange), and clear. The entire job from prep to finish was around 8 hours and I was driving it that evening. It a perfect system for the DIY person any mistake and you can fix it and move on as there is no re-coat window. It is a lacquer so you need to spray light coats I used 4 quarts of each so $300 total. I normally spray Sherwin Williams 4th dimension and if I had it would have been cheaper. I wanted to try this system and again I'm impressed it is very user friendly no ratios to remember just strain it into your gun and squirt. I would post apic but I'm doing this from my iPhone and can't figure out how lmao smart phone I think not!

------------------
If it works take it apart and find out why

RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBDirect Link to This Post
Great write up! I have this thread bookmarked, when I get to this point. Right now, I'm just trying to get the lines straight. I am removing the molding from my Fiero. Any idea on getting the crease to look sharp. The doors are the big problem area.

Thanks,
Don Z.
jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
any tips on painting outside i do have a shed but its not too clean can make a mini paint booth with plastic. i have a steel coil bag the car would fit in. im going to be taking panels off and do it right just figured i would ask. using hvlp and kirker paint metal flake black

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

84candyorangeduke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84candyorangedukeSend a Private Message to 84candyorangedukeDirect Link to This Post
Here's a before and after if you look close at headlight cover you can see where I airbrushed my sons handprint on it
http://i1131.photobucket.co...r/Fiero/0fb9b0ca.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.co...r/Fiero/4c7dcc1b.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.co...r/Fiero/93e1c141.jpg

------------------

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
bump for reply

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

84candyorangeduke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84candyorangedukeSend a Private Message to 84candyorangedukeDirect Link to This Post
Yes you can Paint it outside or build a plastic booth the secret is to try and get negative pressure as no dust is moving around. If you try it outside just pick a non windy day good luck

------------------

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

basecoat/ clearcoat systems are VERY specific with mix ratios...even more with the clear. You can get away with making the basecolor thinner, but not thicker. I generally mix mine 50/50 paint and reducer. Most colors still completely cover in 2 coats. Ive had a few, usualy reds that take 4-5 coats to cover.

Roger- when you said above 50/50 for the base coat, can you brake that done for this novice please.
Is that the activator and the reducer combined to the base coat ratio?

We did a car yesterday and your advice has mad a big improvement in how the paint lays down.
It was during the mix this question came to mind.

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
LQ1 powered

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

CC Rider

2037 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Roger- when you said above 50/50 for the base coat, can you brake that done for this novice please.
Is that the activator and the reducer combined to the base coat ratio?

We did a car yesterday and your advice has mad a big improvement in how the paint lays down.
It was during the mix this question came to mind.

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
LQ1 powered

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Bump

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
LQ1 powered

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors