Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  DIY, How to Paint your Fiero the right way for cheap! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
DIY, How to Paint your Fiero the right way for cheap! by DeLorean00
Started on: 04-03-2008 01:10 AM
Replies: 123
Last post by: zkhennings on 07-03-2012 11:29 AM
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Here is another car I restored. This was a wrecked and badly sun damaged car when I got it.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Thank you for the write up this will come in handy. Do you have the paint codes for these two colors
Thanks,
Tim

Im sorry I do not have them any more. But Im sure someone on this forum could get them for you. I sold that car so I have no way of checking. But it was a factory Blue 1987 GT.
IP: Logged
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by 725franky:

So, if I were to use this http://www.tcpglobal.com/re...mno=RSP+AE2912-KIT-F paint would I need to use a flex agent?

Thanks for all of the great info in this thread.

Frank

I have never used that paint so I do not know. Most new paints do not need flex agents anymore.

iamtylerdurden

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
Hey Delorean,
Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I know i've seen your name pop up in a few threads i've started. Quick question: How hard would it be to do your own stripes? Not for the novice painter i would think. Also, would it cost a lot extra to have someone like Maaco do them?
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by iamtylerdurden:

Hey Delorean,
Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I know i've seen your name pop up in a few threads i've started. Quick question: How hard would it be to do your own stripes? Not for the novice painter i would think. Also, would it cost a lot extra to have someone like Maaco do them?

It would be not too hard. You would just need to measure a lot and take your time making off your stripes. I would assume MAACO would charge and extra $200 or so.
Jul 14th, 2008
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhDirect Link to This Post
This post has inspired me to paint my car
My car has badly peeling clear coat. I have test sanded one area and need some guidance on the sanding technique. I used a DA with 180 and then 320 wet and I still see some scratches from the DA. I assume I will have to apply a primer (surfacer?) and sand with 180, then 320 and then repeat primer where nescessary to get the surface perfectly smooth for paint.
I will be using the OMNI line of paints and would also like to know what primer I should use. The test area was the nose and that area is very flexible.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I use a $25 3M mask with replaceable filters. More than enough protection. I wouldnt bother with a fresh air type hood unless you do a lot of production work (like a Maaco painter) or a factory shop like Mac Trucks or Catapillar.

The ONLY time you need to use flex is painting plastic flexible parts with LAQUER. All enamels and urathane type paints are too flexible by themself to bother with it.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Approved

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the awesome write-up. I have one suggestion though. It only takes a few minutes to take the door and side mouldings off. The rear bumper of course has to be masked. But it probably took more time to mask it than to remove it and not worry about overspray and underspray.

+++
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by peterh:

This post has inspired me to paint my car
My car has badly peeling clear coat. I have test sanded one area and need some guidance on the sanding technique. I used a DA with 180 and then 320 wet and I still see some scratches from the DA. I assume I will have to apply a primer (surfacer?) and sand with 180, then 320 and then repeat primer where nescessary to get the surface perfectly smooth for paint.
I will be using the OMNI line of paints and would also like to know what primer I should use. The test area was the nose and that area is very flexible.

Once you have sanded the area very well, make sure it is super clean then I would apply a coat of Evercoat G-2 primer. This is a great primer surfacer and will hold down any problem areas you might have. Just not put to many coats on the flexable nose because it could become brittle. Then DA the primer with 320 and you would be ready for paint....

Jul 15th, 2008
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhDirect Link to This Post
The evercoat sounds good, I assume it is compatible with the Omni line? Also what about block sanding the evercoat instead of using the DA?
Thanks for the info.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2008 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Most of the time, block sanding is preferred. On a Fiero though, almost all the body panels flex to a higher extent just due to things like setting in the sun than does a solid metal one. Too much time blocking one is just a waste of effort. Block it once and be done with it. Ive seen guys block and block a door to get it perfect, soon as they park outside for a few hours, looks like the ocean. Every time its moved, gets a different set of waves.
Aug 31st, 2008
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Great thread!
Is a different type paint material used to paint the ground effects?
If I read accurately the same paint materials are now used for front and rear bumper covers, since flex additivies are no longer required but what about the gr efx?

sparx22
PFF
System Bot
Sep 30th, 2008
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhDirect Link to This Post
I did a test sand, prime with durabuild, sanded and painted with 2 coats of the omni mtk red. The temperature was 70 and I waited 10 minutes for flashing. It looks shiny but i have alotta orange peel. I have a hvlp gravity feed gun and need some help on the air pressure settings, etc. The paint fact sheet says air pressure at the cap of the gun. What does this mean? I have a adjustable pressure gauge attached to the gun, what should it be set to for this application?
Thanks for suggestions.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
When you're sanding, is there a special technique for sanding inside the PONTIAC letters on the bumper and headlight cover?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
As a general rule of thumb, the higher the air pressure the less orange peel. Too much though and it dries rough, wastes lots of paint and gets all over everything. With HVLP gun I generally use 6-8 pnds air pressure on the gun gauge.

Places that are hard to sand with paper, you can get with scotchbrite, steelwool or fine wire brush.

Dec 28th, 2008
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
so what if you wanted to paint a solid color (black for me). how much paint would that take? theres something on here but thats for red and silver paint. thanx
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
My black paintjob used exactly 2 quarts of base black, and 3 quarts of clear. I would also get 2 quarts of black epoxy primer/sealer, and a gallon of some nice catalyzed fast dry highbuild primer, dont waste your money on acrylic lacquer products.

high grade product like this is not as cheap as deloran got his for, so get ready for wallet pain.
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
yes, well im a 16yr old in michigan. i dont hav a job, so wallet pain is something that i dont recover from very quickly. how much would the clear coat cost, and would i need 2 use the primer if it had a flat black paint job right now or no. still gonna add some black coats but nything i can cut out of the costs helps.
oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroDirect Link to This Post
Question for you on the Urethane bumpers, I started working on mine this weekend. There was a total paint failure on the bumper. I first thought that is was just topcoat paint failure but it turns out that it is the knit lines from the molding coming through from underneath. These are random swirl marks/cracks in the uerthane where it flowed into the mold. I need to glaze the entire bumper to fill these fine cracks, what do you recommend? The other question is that there is paint down in these cracks from a previoius repaint. I'm not sure how good the adhesion is and can't get in the cracks to sand them out. How do you handle these?

Thanks,

Tom
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nohbdy:

... but anything i can cut out of the costs helps.

I am the laziest sonuvagun you'll ever meet. If I had my choice, I'd sit at home on my butt and drink coffee all day. But things must be done and I must do them and if I must do them, then I am going to do them to the very limits of my abilities and make damn sure they're done right so I don't have to do them twice.

Believe me, I mean this in the nicest way possible. But you are about to be a professional painter's best friend because after you screw up your car by trying to cut corners, you're going to be forced to take it to a pro and pay to have him do it right. Shelling out the bucks to paint your car is not how I define "wallet pain". Shelling out bucks to half-ass the paint job on your car and then having to shell out more bucks to either do it again or pay to have it done is how I define "wallet pain".

There are many, many different places and instances where "corner-cutting" is ok and even encouraged. Painting your car is not one of them. Believe me, noone knows this more than folks that paint cars for a living. Professionals know their work costs a lot of money and of the total cost to the owner, the painter may only see 5-6% of that money in the form of profit. As a result, professional painters have been trying for years to find ways of reducing their operating and material costs in an effort to make their work less expensive. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a quality paint job can be done in one day for $500 and yield 15% profit instead of taking two weeks at $2000 and yield only 5-6% profit, more people would pay to have their cars painted and the painter would actually make more profit.

All I'm saying is that if there's any place to cut a corner, the professional painter has already found and exploited it to the fullest extent possible. If you're going to paint your own car, follow the above steps and don't try to save a buck or two by cutting a necessary corner. The bucks you save today will cost you tenfold tomorrow.

------------------

My Fiero ate an import. No, seriously.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

yes, well im a 16yr old in michigan. i dont hav a job, so wallet pain is something that i dont recover from very quickly. how much would the clear coat cost, and would i need 2 use the primer if it had a flat black paint job right now or no. still gonna add some black coats but nything i can cut out of the costs helps.

My color cost me $90 for 2 quarts, and my clear was about $150. The primers just ensure no sand scratches, and promote adhesion, basically helps you get the most out of your paint investment. They can technically be skimped on, if you feel like you have to skimp.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by oldfiero:

Question for you on the Urethane bumpers, I started working on mine this weekend. There was a total paint failure on the bumper. I first thought that is was just topcoat paint failure but it turns out that it is the knit lines from the molding coming through from underneath. These are random swirl marks/cracks in the uerthane where it flowed into the mold. I need to glaze the entire bumper to fill these fine cracks, what do you recommend? The other question is that there is paint down in these cracks from a previoius repaint. I'm not sure how good the adhesion is and can't get in the cracks to sand them out. How do you handle these?

Thanks,

Tom

This is exactly what activated high build primers are for. They will easily fill those scratches, but you will be sanding alot of it off. Put about 4-5 coats on medium wet and sand away with some 150 taking most all of it back off again. Then hit it with 2-3 more coats of high build and then get some 320 wet dry sand paper and have at it. Depending on the color, I will step it up for a final sand with 600wet or 400 dry to get the primer looking shiny and 100% scratch free.

The beauty of the high build primer also is you can put 5-6-7 coats on in one area, and not so much in others. Make sure you strip the trouble areas down to solid substrate though, as you dont want to paint over something that is cracking and flaking.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Darkhorizon, WHERE are you buying you paint ?? we can't get paint Here for twice that price. Brand? dealer ? part #s ? Thanks
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
so i got 2 answers on my question which completely contradict each other. if i did skip out on the primer do u hav ny idea how much time would b takin off of the life expectancy for the new paint job?

EDIT: how much would the primer cost anyway?

[This message has been edited by Nohbdy (edited 12-28-2008).]

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
DeLorean,
What would you charge to paing a fellow Californian's 86 GT?
bb
Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
hey if people want some pics of painting a car i can give you guys some (its not a fiero but i have done alot of bondo and most of the sanding and can get you some pics)
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

DeLorean,
What would you charge to paing a fellow Californian's 86 GT?
bb

Thanks for the offer. But I am out of the auto body business at this time.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005

so i got 2 answers on my question which completely contradict each other. if i did skip out on the primer do u hav ny idea how much time would b takin off of the life expectancy for the new paint job?

EDIT: how much would the primer cost anyway?

You not really taking time off the life of the new paint job as much as you have the chance of repairs or damage showing through. Its not a bad idea to put down a quick wet on wet sealer coat.

As for a cost of the primer, it will be any where from $50-$150.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
my total bill was $480, including some abrasives and 2 gallons of reducer and some grease and wax remover. Primers were about $127 a gallon activated if I remember right.

My paint system is matrix. http://www.matrixsystem.com/

I used MS-20 clear MS-20 / MH-005 $ 128.78

Basecoat was MSB 22 or something, strong black

primer sealer was epoxy primer/sealer, I dont remember the price but it was around $70-80.

MP-900 EPOXY PRIMER - BLACK
MP-900 Epoxy Primer provides maximum protection and adhesion to metal surfaces. Used as a primer or sealer, MP-900 is always recommended when you must have the best and longest lasting finish possible.

my surfacer was great stuff, in that same $70 sprayable gallon area.

MP4-2K LIGHTNINGâ„¢ PRIMER SURFACER - GREY
MP4-2K with Lightning Cure Technology dries in 45 minutes and sands easily for reduced cycle times. A direct to metal primer surfacer, MP4-2K offers excellent corrosion protection, adhesion and great sand scratch holdout. MP4-2K reduces the need for additional primers for bare metal areas less than 6" in diameter.

Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
my $.02 i would do primer unless you have no points where you have broken through the origonal paint (scratches, bondo) or were gunna sell the car within a month or two
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
i dont. its wearing thin in some places but not thru nywhere. i got lucky in that the guy just stored the thing for like 10 yrs bcuz it had a bad master cylinder and didnt know what 2 do. unfortunately he also obliterated the wiring for the headlights.
Jan 10th, 2009
The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
Great thread!!!!
PFF
System Bot
The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post

The_Ikon

629 posts
Member since Mar 2004
ttt
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Real simple solutions...go to the auto paint store and ask for black primer. If you want to spend a little more or want a dull shine, get a quart of satin clear and put it over the primer or over a coat of black basecoat.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Approved

anwalker

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys for really good deals on paint I use TCP global and get their restoration shop brand kit. The limitation is your constrained to their color charts but you cant beat the price for a Urethane BC/CC kit. If you want to flash it up a bit, get a couple qts of intercoat clear and mix in some peal or flake to shoot over a solid color base. I think I paid around 324.00 for a gallon of base, gallon of reducer, Qt of Activator, 2oz of pearl and 2qts of intercoat clear. So far I am really happy with the quality of materials. It sprays out like House of Kolor. For 2K primer I use MAXX FILL. You can get a gallon of primer and activator at your local car quest for about 56.00.

If you want even less expensive go to www.smartshoppersinc.com and get a total paint kit for 324.00 which includes everything from tape, primer to base and clear. These kits are from the Kirker line. www.kirker.com
Jan 15th, 2009
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
This probably isn't something someone with no experience should do, is it? I have a 50 gallon compressor but nothing else, and the most experience I have working on my car is changing the oil!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Samohtneas:

This probably isn't something someone with no experience should do, is it? I have a 50 gallon compressor but nothing else, and the most experience I have working on my car is changing the oil!

Sure why not? Just follow directions in this thread and take your time. Also don't be afraid of having to do things more then once.
Jan 16th, 2009
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Sure why not? Just follow directions in this thread and take your time. Also don't be afraid of having to do things more then once.

Well I do have a question then. What did the black GT in your original post look like before the first picture? Was that the result of your sanding? My 86 SE has lots of spots where the clear is flaking off but the clear is coming off(Primarily on the hood and decklid), or where there is a fine white substance that can be scratched off with a fingernail. Do I need to sand the ENTIRE car downn to white plastic, or just how far down? I'm not quite sure about how to measure paint "depth."
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I had never painted a car until I changed the color of my Fiero. I did have an experienced body/paint person watching me every step and coaching me. (Cost me $100 for him and booth time) I hand wet- sanded the car at home for days. Great way to build arm muscles!!!! When you are finished wet-sanding there is dried clear/paint residue in EVERY nook and cranny. An easy way to get it off the car is to wash with Comet.

Samohtneas, just go for it you will learn alot. If you are going to paint the whole car, sand all areas untill there is no more "shine" Sand into the paint only in areas that are damaged. You will need to feather in along these areas. When you ar finished wash the car then look it over for the "shinny" spots. These are low areas that will need more sanding. By repeating this over an over until there are no "shinny" areas you will get the paint to lay down better. Before you go for primer wash the car onle last time using Comit.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by White Spyder (edited 01-16-2009).]

Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White Spyder:

I had never painted a car until I changed the color of my Fiero. I did have an experienced body/paint person watching me every step and coaching me. (Cost me $100 for him and booth time) I hand wet- sanded the car at home for days. Great way to build arm muscles!!!! When you are finished wet-sanding there is dried clear/paint residue in EVERY nook and cranny. An easy way to get it off the car is to wash with Comet.

Samohtneas, just go for it you will learn alot. If you are going to paint the whole car, sand all areas untill there is no more "shine" Sand into the paint only in areas that are damaged. You will need to feather in along these areas. When you ar finished wash the car then look it over for the "shinny" spots. These are low areas that will need more sanding. By repeating this over an over until there are no "shinny" areas you will get the paint to lay down better. Before you go for primer wash the car onle last time using Comit.

Good luck!

So I don't need to get down to the plastic unless its really that bad huh? Thanks Spyder, I'll remember that. It's a little confidence booster for me! One other question (for anyone I suppose). What exactly is feathering? I'm actually pretty excited about this, it'll be the first time I get a (significant) income tax return, and I'm sure my T/A friends would love to help me with my poor Fiero! :P

[This message has been edited by Samohtneas (edited 01-16-2009).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2009 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You want to avoid sanding down into the plastic, it's a lot softer than the paint on top of it. You'll wind up with a bunch of low-spots if you're not very careful sanding and blow through the paint. Also, look into "guide coat". One tip I always make is to look and see if your local community college offers paint and body classes. Mine does and they have top not equipment including a heated downdraft spray booth and the latest SATA digital spray guns.

JazzMan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock