Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Slow power windows finally solved! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Slow power windows finally solved! by jscott1
Started on: 01-24-2009 10:56 PM
Replies: 95
Last post by: Trinten on 02-03-2011 01:39 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
This is important enough to start a new thread...

FIRST REPORT on Rodney's WINDOW SPEEDER UPPER!!!

Rodney was nice enough to send me one of his window speeder upper thingies for testing. (I'm not going to say what it is exactly but rather how well it works)

First I had to decide what car...

My first thought was on my GT with the Firebird switches...then I realized the thingie would have to go in the door based on where I had access to the wires, and I wasn't sure it would work in a system with two passenger switches....so I canceled that idea.

I was going to put it on my choptop which has regular style switches, but given that the "glass" is really lexan and don't travel the same distance as stock and they are not particularly slow anyway I canceled that idea too.

Despite causing OhioIndy grief, I decided to put it on my Indy. Those windows are dog slow, I've done nothing to them as far as cleaning the tracks and lubricating. The switches are 25 year old switches, because I haven't found any NOS or reproduction black switches yet, and all the wiring is stock. So this is probably worst case.

First, Rodney's thingie is easy to install, but he's still working on the instructions. I had to refer to my service manual, and ironically none of the letters in the service manual matched the car, so I double checked everything with a meter.

Oh and not to contradict Rodney but I didn't need to use a fused lead or run any wires to the door. It all installed neatly in the center console. Given a little time it could easily be made plug and play.

There is one thingie per window and I only have one, so I decided to install it on the driver's side

About 10 minutes to install and I was ready to test.

Here are the before and after results with the engine off (battery voltage) and engine on (alternator voltage):

Before (engine off)

Driver's side up = 9.7 sec

Driver's side down = 12.5 sec

Before (engine on)

Driver's side up = 6.2 sec

Driver's side down = 9.0 sec

AFTER (engine off)

Driver's side up 4.9 sec

Driver's side down 5.6 sec

AFTER (engine on)

Driver's side up 3.9 sec

Driver's side down 4.0 sec

All I can say is that IT WORKS!

If you like brute force solutions then you will love Rodney's Window speeder upper thingie!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MetroMatt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMattClick Here to visit MetroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MetroMattDirect Link to This Post
how much?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Rodney will have to chime in and let us know when they will be available for sale.
sleebbie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleebbieSend a Private Message to sleebbieDirect Link to This Post
Desperately waiting for more info on this product! One of the most annoying things about the Fiero.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Bump !

I want a set !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big ups to Rodney.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
How much? How much effort? And do I have to take the door apart? Should I do it at the same time as DIYStu's Dew wipes?
What are the downsides? (risk of burning up motor, etc.)

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Exciting news! I was just about ready to rebuild the entire window mechanism along with new motors and all the hardware that goes with it... however if this fixes the slow window problem then I can hardly wait for Rodney to make them available.

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

i want to see video first,then i will be sold
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
oo ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo me wanty!

im still going to work on adapting a 99 era impalas window motor to the fiero. or find out if it is a module. this one will take some spending and research. and learning the hard way.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
It may be a few 3-4 months before I will have them for sale. I hand assemblied several to send out for R&D. It is too much work to make them by hand. So I sent them out to have a company make them for me. So that will take a while.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I want on the list Rodney. I am in the middle of a double door rebuild right now. This would be the perfect time to install these. I guess I'll have to be patient....... Just when I thought I had all the Rodney parts I could put on my Fiero....Out comes another one.

Thanks Rodney!

Pat
PFF
System Bot
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Let me guess this device increases the voltage applied to the window motors.
sparx22
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sparx22:

Let me guess this device increases the voltage applied to the window motors.
sparx22

If done right, that shouldn't really be a problem.

I'd like to know though, what the typical time-frame was when these cars were brand new.

I've owned my 1987 Fiero SE / V6 since it had 38k miles on it back in 1996.

I put the 100k+ miles on it, and I noticed a significant speed decrease back in 1998.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that these windows were MUCH quicker when they were new.

I'd love to get a set like this from Rodney, but I think when I do the work, I'm going to go through everything else as well.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
You don't have to take the door apart...in fact you don't have to even touch anything inside the door. The whole thing can be installed in the center console.

You want video? It was dark and hard to see, but here is the before and after...

Before:

After (up)

After (down)

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-25-2009).]

CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
I am interested as well.

jscott - great write-up. If you say they are great...then they are.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Imbedding Videos?

[YOUTUBE]insert your youtube link here[/YOUTUBE]

Rodney, any idea on pricing yet? You can definitely put me down for a set.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 01-25-2009).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Imbedding Videos?

Thanks I gave you a "+" for the tip.

Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Where's the pic of the device or is it top secret?

I guess it's going to be pricey if he's out sourcing the mass assembly.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 01-25-2009).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

Where's the pic of the device or is it top secret?

I didn't show the device because it's just a prototype and not the final product.
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
How many capacitors?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-25-2009 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Didn't have to take the door apart and its plug n play in the console? Sounds like a voltage ( or amperage ) doubler..

Wouldn't think it would be *that* simple to get them to speed up. wow.
PFF
System Bot
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyDirect Link to This Post
nice job to rodney for designing them, and also to jscott for the timing on the windows before and after. i prolly wouldnt hav thought of it.

EDIT: please get the prices up here when u can rodney. thanks

[This message has been edited by Nohbdy (edited 01-25-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
dang, i cant tell anything on that video. make a daylight one please?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,
Based on everybodies interest in your fine product, it looks as though you are giong to be rich

Cordially,
Kevin
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

dang, i cant tell anything on that video. make a daylight one please?

I'm not going to unhook it for a new before video, but I can make a new after video...
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
I'm in when these are ready. Add me to the list.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
i'm looking forward to getting some can't wait til they come out!!!!

would be nice to have a price and hope there not to expensive!!!!
fiero window motors are SLOW
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
I have a new name for Rodney.... the King! Every group needs one, and he is our's! He comes up with some kick-ass products for our humble little Fieros!
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

I have a new name for Rodney.... the King! Every group needs one, and he is our's! He comes up with some kick-ass products for our humble little Fieros!

Wow. That's just wrong on soooo many levels.... Rodney... the king....

Am I the only one that caught that?

Maybe we should call him Rod the Fiero god or sumthin...

-Paul

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
I also got one of rodneys "thingies" and I can also say that it works. Although I wonder where you guys managed to fit it inside the console, I installed mine in the console but i had to take it our because I couldn't find a place for it. Wanna PM me with that info?
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboom:

Wow. That's just wrong on soooo many levels.... Rodney... the king....

Am I the only one that caught that?

Maybe we should call him Rod the Fiero god or sumthin...

-Paul

Okay, it took me a while but I got it. You know that is SO not what I meant.

See, I'm a golfer and I've been watching Arnold Palmer chat with the commentators who asked about his nickname "the King" That's where I got it, okay?
You know the other King, Elvis, etc... just the KING! oh, forget it.......
PFF
System Bot
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
PM sent Rodney! I hope this will work on the lambo windows!! Great work
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
The only way I know to do what Rodney has done is consistent with a bulky prototype.
You need an inverter to convert the DC into AC and then a transformer to bump the voltage up and then a rectifier to convert it back to DC.
This would result in increased current to the device and increased current from the device to the window motors. This might not overtax the wiring because the current is short in duration, allowing the wires to cool between events. If you were to repeatedly put your windows up and down, you could experience a melt down as the heat builds up.
In normal use, I would expect the motors to stay cooler. The slower a motor turns the hotter is gets all things being equal.
I try to have my engine running every time I operate my windows, knowing that the slow speed when running on the battery causes the motors to get hotter, shortening their life somewhat.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
there are a few ways to add to the juice - heck, even the old ballast resistor approach
and, everyones fav - the big 'ol capacitors
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Does this kit work with manual windows

j/k, couldnt resist! I guess if I want my manuals to go faster I have to get a gym membership eh?
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

there are a few ways to add to the juice - heck, even the old ballast resistor approach
and, everyones fav - the big 'ol capacitors

Yes, putting a motor cycle battery in the circuit to boost the amperage to the windows is another way!

Originally posted by MordacP:

I also got one of rodneys "thingies" and I can also say that it works. Although I wonder where you guys managed to fit it inside the console, I installed mine in the console but i had to take it our because I couldn't find a place for it. Wanna PM me with that info?

Wow!

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 01-26-2009).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by gem1138:

The only way I know to do what Rodney has done is consistent with a bulky prototype.

Actually it's not bulky at all. I don't know what's inside, but it's only about 3" x 2" x 1"

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Power window switch operated relay.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Power window switch operated relay.

It couldn't be that simple, because that would imply the cause of slow windows is the switch, and we all know that new switches help a little, but not as dramatically as demonstrated here.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the things that has annoyed me for the last 15yrs so I'm glad I will be able to buy a solution sonn
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock