Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Slow power windows finally solved! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Slow power windows finally solved! by jscott1
Started on: 01-24-2009 10:56 PM
Replies: 95
Last post by: Trinten on 02-03-2011 01:39 PM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
this is funny seeing everyone try and figure out exactly what it is and how it works.

EDIT: score! page two is mine! bow to me! haha, joking. continue..
------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-26-2009).]

IP: Logged
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
I am sure that a window switch operated relay is part of the solution but not all of it.
just thinking about it, would you not need four relays minimum? one for each direction for each window?

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 01-26-2009).]

ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post
I am defitnatly interested in this! Way to go Rodney!

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
96 New Yorker

Idaho_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho_FieroSend a Private Message to Idaho_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad my windows are not as slow as jscott's, but slow enough to be annoying. This is something every Fiero owner should buy. I'll be waiting til I can buy 'em.

Wes
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Me too! I need sets for 2 cars!

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner
My SD4 Indy www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096075.html

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
Eh whats the update on this
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

Eh whats the update on this

Working on them. Will take a few months or more before I have any to sell. The finished ones will be about 45% - 50% smaller than the samples I sent out for R&D. I'm having a new plastic case made specificaly for this. Takes time to make the molds etc for this case plus redesiging the internals to make them smaller.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

The finished ones will be about 45% - 50% smaller than the samples I sent out for R&D. I'm having a new plastic case made specificaly for this.

Thanks for the update. The prototype wasn't exactly large. Will the final version be both windows in one box? or one window per box? There are pros and cons to each I suppose. Two in one box would be better for stock setups. The individual units would work better in custom setups.

But either way I'm going to be needing at least another set and a half.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-21-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:
Working on them. Will take a few months or more before I have any to sell.

Will they burn up the motors? Are they relay driven? Anything to watch out for/issues you have during R&D (like windows falling off the track, scraping happening faster if the DIY_Stu fix hasn't been done yet)/

fiater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiaterSend a Private Message to fiaterDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting me a set as soon as available. What is this DIYStu scraper fix thing? My driver window's getting verticla scrapes on it.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiater:

I'm getting me a set as soon as available. What is this DIYStu scraper fix thing? My driver window's getting verticla scrapes on it.

Sorry, meant this as an inside story. I guess it didn't come out right on a forum.

DIY_Stu has made replacement Dew wipes and the felt material to keep windows for scratching up more. - So Scraper fix thing.

As far as I can tell those existing scrapes can't be removed. I haven't give up yet. There are a few ways to polish glass and remove some scrapes. I just haven't looked into it yet.
(I would love to do that to my front windshield and get the microscopic pits out, so the window can be really CLEAN. (Every car gets these as they age/get driven, this is why no window cleaner can ever make windows PERFECTLY CLEAN. ) )

Think about it this way though. A Lamborghini Miura SV that sold for over $1.000.000 had window scratches in it. We're not in bad company.
(then again Miura glass is probably made of "unobtanium" )
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Power window switch operated relay.

Originally posted by jscott1:

It couldn't be that simple, because that would imply the cause of slow windows is the switch, and we all know that new switches help a little, but not as dramatically as demonstrated here.

Yes, it is that simple, alot of current gets taken up in the switches, even new ones.
This is NOT a new idea, they have been making them for other cars for years. And have even be discussed on here
Even one of our club members has done it here in Vegas. I have a setup for a set but just havent installed them yet.
Just because someone offers a product, does not make them the inventor.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I was going to see what I could do to get my passenger side window work better, takes forever. Now I think I'll just live with it until Rod gets his fix out there.

Still other items left on our Fieros that could work or look beter. I'm also waiting to see if that fellow is going to release his custom console and dash panels. But that won't take much to duplicate if dont get them done.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
edited for errors!

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 04-03-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Yes, it is that simple, alot of current gets taken up in the switches, even new ones.
This is NOT a new idea, they have been making them for other cars for years. And have even be discussed on here
Even one of our club members has done it here in Vegas. I have a setup for a set but just havent installed them yet.
Just because someone offers a product, does not make them the inventor.

Do tell.

Email Rodney, usually he tends to give credit, where credit is due. I saw it a few places on his page.
That's one of the many reasons I admire him for.

Hopefully he won't charge too much for his "kit", if it's something simple/straightforward.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

I thought I was going to grab a couple of relays and give it a go. Not so fast... It takes 5 or 6 per window of SPST relays to do what needs to be done depending on how you wire it up. Much better to get what Rodney is making to keep it compact. There are some motor reversing relays out there but I have not seen the ones I would want to use.

Didn't Fie RO do a thing on his "Concept GTR" that uses relays for the power windows? He fit all the components under the center console skeleton.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

No it's not that simple. Relays have contacts too and can take up just as much current.

Also, bad switches can cause slow windows, but it's one cause among many. Just replacing the switches is not guaranteed to improve the performance.

Feel free to re-invent the wheel, but I'm here to tell you that Rodney's device works. Let us all know how well the relays work, because in my opinion that is not going to help very much.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Rodney, giving that Jscott1 has 2 switches in the driver's side door, will your product work with this type of setup? With 2 in the drivers door, and one in the passenger door....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

Rodney, giving that Jscott1 has 2 switches in the driver's side door, will your product work with this type of setup? With 2 in the drivers door, and one in the passenger door....

I wondered the same... After looking at my drawing, I came to the conclusion that I don't know.

If I had to venture a guess I would say maybe. It depends on the device's internal wiring which I don't have the privilege to witness.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-22-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Found the appropriate Fie RO "Concept GTR" posts on window relays.
(I have to admit, it's always a joy to revisit his build thread. )

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000035-9.html#p341

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

next is to hookup the window relays. Started with the passenger side in case I screw up

Woohoo, I made something electrical and it works!

Other side works fine too. I have been looking at several spots in the midconsole to fit these relays and wiring, best option is in front of the shifter; theres a lot of empty space there. Figured where to mount the relays to the existing bracket, 3 from this side

and one here. It also cleanes up the old mirror wiring around the shifter this way..

...hmm some tweaking..?

I'm still thinking "Rodney's fix" it totally different though. Probably contains some fancy electronics that prevent the motors from burning out, or something else that runs the motors faster. *waits patiently*

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 02-23-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

*guesses* Is the device similar (in price, and construction) to the above product by Rodney Dickman for Ferraris?

PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
that one is made by rodney...

Questions? Call me at 262-835-9575 or email to rodney@rodneydickman.com

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
My bet is the use of a contactor or two! Much smaller than all those relays and works in both directions. ATV's use them for their winches.
my .002
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 03-03-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

that one is made by rodney...

Yea, that's what I meant. Sorry wasn't clear enough in writing.
I meant the Fiero version is similar to Rodney's Ferrari version.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Well, I don't know if Rodney should have posted so much detail in that Ebay listing. Now i know what he did, and can build my own.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:

My bet is the use of a contacter or two! Much smaller than all those relays and works in both directions. ATV's use them for their winches.
my .002
Sandy

How much do contacters cost? Pictures?

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Well, I don't know if Rodney should have posted so much detail in that Ebay listing. Now i know what he did, and can build my own.

For $99. I'd probably learn how to do my own as well. I'm thinking that the Ferrari version is much more expensive than the Fiero version. (everything made for, or by Ferrari tends to be. )

I'm kind of wondering what he would sell the Fiero version for now.
Maybe it has additional features beyond the Ferrari version. (like 1 touch down, or something)
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

*guesses* Is the device similar (in price, and construction) to the above product by Rodney Dickman for Ferraris?

Similar yes, but that is most definitely NOT what Rodney sent me and what I installed in my car.

In my opinion the Fiero device works on a totally different principle and is not just a set of relays or switches.

As I stated earlier, relays have contacts in them just as switches do so they are not guaranteed to work any better than new switches. The only advantage to using relays over switches is that it allows you to control the windows using small decorative switches that on their own would not be able to handle the current of the window motors.
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

How much do contacters cost? Pictures?

Fleabay sells them for about $15>75. search 'winch contactor' ...

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 02-24-2009).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Hey, if they are good for a Ferrari they will be good for my Fiero
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Let us all know how well the relays work, because in my opinion that is not going to help very much.

OK, I made one up yesterday, and I just tested it on a parts car. (had to make sure it worked first)
before:
down 4 secs
up 6 secs

after
down 3 sec
up 4 sec

these windows seem to be fast anyway, and its a parts car. I have a battery in it and a charger at 30amps on too.
I need to find a better stop watch than my phone and to test it on more cars. I made mine plug and play no wire cutting.
I need to clean up the connections too, I just thew it together.
I will try to load the before and after vids when I get home, dial up at the shop sucks.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

OK, I made one up yesterday, and I just tested it on a parts car. (had to make sure it worked first)

Interesting data....

but did you test old rusty switches compared to new relays?

And you are right, your windows are fast to begin with. With old rickety slow windows like I had, the relays might help, but I don't think you would see 50% faster times like I did with Rodney's device.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
We tested another car and got about the same results. I think it is the battery charger making them fast. We turned it off and the windows were slower. But still faster with my relay setup than without. But it started to rain so we stoped, I will try more later. Like I said these contacts are ceroded and the relay is old. But even with old and bad connections they make it faster. This is just a rough thing I threw together, I figured if this helps this way then splicing would be even better. I wanted plug-n-play so I could test other cars too. I knew this works as I have seen it before and just cleaning my switches made them faster. The two I tested today are parts cars with I'm sure all kinds of dirt in the tracks, etc...

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Ok, here are the vids of the first car I tested. My stop watch sucks on my phone as is only does secs. so if anyone wants to time it, great. and post.

Before

After

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Similar yes, but that is most definitely NOT what Rodney sent me and what I installed in my car.

In my opinion the Fiero device works on a totally different principle and is not just a set of relays or switches.

As I stated earlier, relays have contacts in them just as switches do so they are not guaranteed to work any better than new switches. The only advantage to using relays over switches is that it allows you to control the windows using small decorative switches that on their own would not be able to handle the current of the window motors.

Easy enough to verify. Do a voltage drop test across your switch and then do the same across a relay. Most relays have beefier contacts than our power window switches--BUT, you would have to find a relay capable of handling the current load. Coolant fan relay comes to mind--hi amps and long run cycle capacity.

If http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW is what it is, then the same thing might be achievable simply by improving the ground circuit for the power windows, since that is what I got out of the narrative on that website.

However, I will be content to wait till Rodney has his on the market.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Here is another test, this time on my car.
and remember this is using an old relays and bad connectors.

Before CAR OFF
12 down
13 up

After CAR OFF
7 down
9 up

Before CAR IDLE
5 down
7 up

After CAR IDLE
4 down
6 up

And I do have a power pully and my fan is on with the key, so there is alot of current drain on my car to start, just FYI.
I got it down where it is easy to wire up. I will wire my Fiero up, the plug-n-play one I made was just for testing, thus why bad connectors, etc..

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
god those window motors sound so worn to me.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Man, you guys had me all excited with this thread so I went out and timed both windows up and down, and both are just under 5 seconds in each direction.

Of course 2.5 seconds would be nice but I think that is asking for too much.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 03-14-2009).]

RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Well I am hoping this will help my lambo project! The custom windows and tracks Suck big time! My windows go down alot better than up, which at the moment is almost not at all. If this fix would just get mine to go all the way up under 9 seconds I would be overjoyed.

What's up TK! Hope all is well
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Based on my experience with my 77 Kawasaki KZ, I would agree this. One of the popular mods on these bikes is to use a relay to power the ignition. The oem wiring powered the ignition through something like 9 contacts. Before the mod, I was getting something like a 1.5 volt drop from the battery to the coils. After, it was 0.2 volts, but it still didn't improve the starting and/or running as I'd hoped. Another popular mod is to replace the fuse box (which uses glass fuses) with a blade type unit from some place like Advance Auto. At first I tried to clean up all the contacts into and out of the oem fuse box, but it didn't seem to make any difference. After replacing the fuse box with a cheap 4 fuse box from Advance, I had MUCH better power to the whole bike. Better starting, better running, brighter lights, faster blinkers, etc. So I suspect that even with new power window switches, the power for the window motors is still going through lots of contacts, which by now are oxidizing and causing resistance. Cleaning them up and/or replacing them can only do so much good. Powering these circuits with std automotive relays (available anywhere) sounds like a great idea. Given the problems I've had with my KZ, I don't know why I never thought of this.

On the other hand... that's one MORE project for the Formula.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock