Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800SC Re-Do after kitcarmans piece of SH!T Lots of Pics and Questions (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
3800SC Re-Do after kitcarmans piece of SH!T Lots of Pics and Questions by JimmyS
Started on: 01-21-2007 07:01 PM
Replies: 197
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-16-2009 10:30 AM
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
The prong on top facing the different way is for the gauge the other two is for the PCM if the PCM uses it as some years do not feed the oil pressure sensor to the PCM. The connector should show you which colour is for where, just look at your wiring diagrams. . Dan
IP: Logged
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tampalinc:

Amazon Hose in Tampa can mate the line together correctly for you or if you check around you might be able to find an A/C shop near you that can do it. I would be afraid to have hose claps on my A/C lines.

Amazon Hose
1103 N. 50th Street
Tampa, Florida 33619
Phone: 813-223-7554
Toll-free: 800-886-5945
Fax: 813-223-7567

Custom is the best way but the hose clamps should work fine as long as the joiners are barbed and you use at least two clamps, I don't have a picture or proximity to the car but I'm almost positive my 84 has clamps from the factory on the end that connects to the tubes that are mounted near the harness entry into the cabin on the firewall.

As for Amazon Hose, if you are talking about the guys located down from 7th ave near the UPS depot GOOD LUCK, I went to them a couple of months ago to have the returnless fuel line and connection for the 6 spd gearbox made up but was so fed up with the hopeless wait and lack of help in the section that deals with this kind of thing I gave up. You either fall inside the door when they open or bring breakfast, lunch and dinner for the wait. A numbering system is well in order as opposed to a bunch of customers sitting around a work area trying to remember whos next in the cluster, there was no line.
ohio86se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gladiator:

ohio86se - The link worked fine but none of what popped up resembled what JimmyS has on his rails. His look like a standard brass compression fittings.

Can you post a pic of your setup?
Thanks
Gary

Not to distract from what Jim is doing here Ive posted my fuel setup here.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071510.html
------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 02-16-2007).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Here she is all ready to go in tomorrow morning.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
She is inside the car and all the hoses are connected. I will post pics later.

I have a question about the Fiero Store Braided brake lines. Do the long ones or the short ones go in the back?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well I didn't get far enough to try and start her today. Looks like it may be Tuesday for first start.

Here are a couple of pics of her mounted inside the engine compartment.

Here is a pic of the new stainless braided brake lines, new rotors & new calipers all installed.

Here is a pic of the center caps on my wheels. I painted them red and put on Fiero GT stickers I purchased from fierosails.com.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Jim!!!

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
3800sc vacuum lines

------------------

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well tomorrow is D-Day. Here is what is left to do...
1 - Connect battery cables to battery.
2 - Purchase 2' of vaccum line for the fuel pressure regulator. (Had a piece and put it somewhere as to not loose it and lost it)!
3 - Check oil pressure and prime oil pump.
4 - Double check all connections.
5 - Re-attach deck lid.
6 - Last but not least and most important....Listen to her purrrrrrrrr.

Here are the pics as she sits right now.

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Skip 5 till you've done 6.

If it runs as nice as it looks you've got a winner there. I've followed your sad saga from the start so I hope it turns out good for you this time around.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Hey Jimmy absolutely fabulous job !

Gotta ask, after all that money spent and wasted, was the reason you didn't do it yourself in the first place was because you didn't think you could do it, or that you just did not have the time or didn't want the hassle.

I ask because u have done such a great job and it is a shame u lost all that money.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I haven't said anything because I really didn't have anything useful to contribute, but I have been following.
It looks amazing!

Good luck with your startup! I hope your build turns out to be everything you expect.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe................................................

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
i just talked to jim. it started on the first try. good job jim. hopefully we will see each other at the car show this weekend.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
In my best sinister, evil, wickid voice... "IT'S ALLLLIIIIVVVEEEE"

Started up on the first try! Let it run just a few seconds and shut her off. Called Ed Morad to check and make sure I did everything right. Started her back up and let her idle for about 20 mins then checked for any fluid leaks. Everything is A OK. Burped the coolant system, checked the oil and tranny level. Now when my Girlfriend gets home I will bleed the brakes and take her for a short ride. This motor has a whole different sound then the one JR had put in. This one is a whole lot smoother and doesn't sound so rough as JR's.

I would like to thank GKDINC, Dudewithoutfiero, Ed Parks, Darth Fiero, Loyde, FIEROFLYER, ohio86se, FieroEarl, Dark Horizon and everyone else for all their help. I could never have done this alone.

Next is to Archie for my long desired chop top. Maybe around Sept. or Oct. Then it's Paint time!

Tomorrow I will give her a good deserved and overdo bath and post some pics.

See you all at DAYTONA!!!

Edit to add... See ya this weekend dude.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 02-21-2007).]

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Congrat's there Jimmy, she's ALIVE!! Now it's time to put some miles on. Get them plans going for Daytona, it will be a good time.
Good Luck
Gary
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well I took her for a drive tonight and there are a couple issues.

1 - The alternator doesn't seem to be charging. The volt gauge was at 13 when I left and barely at 10 when I got back.
2 - After she warmed up I was in park and at idle and I would hear a pop pop sound coming from the exhaust every so often.

Any ideas on what these problems are?

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 02-21-2007).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The popping could possibly just be normal, every 3800 I have setup I have run stock or not stock, it has made a random miss noise at idle.

The alternator is charged by the charging wire on the alternator plug, this wire might not be hooked up right, I usuall just run it to battery+.

Now would be a good time to get a scanner on it to check and see if all your sensors are working within proper range.
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
jim took me for a ride this afternoon. all i can say is HOLY S$#!. now my mind is made up. I AM going to do a 3880sc swap in my fiero.
Hurricane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HurricaneSend a Private Message to HurricaneDirect Link to This Post
make sure the bulb for the voltage light in the dash isnt burned out. if tis no good, then the alternator wont charge. you may have it wired differently for your swap though
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The popping could possibly just be normal, every 3800 I have setup I have run stock or not stock, it has made a random miss noise at idle.

The alternator is charged by the charging wire on the alternator plug, this wire might not be hooked up right, I usuall just run it to battery+.

Now would be a good time to get a scanner on it to check and see if all your sensors are working within proper range.

Dark, my car does not make popping or missing sounds at idle. Doesn't the popping indicate unburned fuel in the exhaust, ie, backfiring?

PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Well I figured out why the alternator wasn't charging. It was the power lead on the alternator that i didn't have the nut tightened down on. After I got tha problem fixed (5 seconds) the popping noise quit. I think it was popping cause of the low voltage?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Well its relitive I suppose, what I call popping is not really anything noticable. Its more like a subtle miss noise and possibly if the car is running a bit rich at idle the waste spark igntion system burns a bit of extra and makes a backfire type sound.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
any update how your car is doing?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

any update how your car is doing?

So far so good. Had a little problem with the fuel pump at Daytona 2007 (Thanks again to all who helped fix it). About 4 months ago I had to replace the radiator fan motor. Other than that it's been smooth sailing. It's still my daily driver. I have put about 8,000 miles on her since I re-did it.

I have a few mods planned to get a little more HP (300-325 range) but it's going to have to wait till my money situation changes. I also want it chopped but again...gonna have to wait.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Your engine looks great! You really polished it up.

I noticed that you took all the heat shields off of your exhaust. Do you plan to put them back on or fab up some new ones? If not, do you have anything to protect your components from the radiated heat?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Your engine looks great! You really polished it up.

I noticed that you took all the heat shields off of your exhaust. Do you plan to put them back on or fab up some new ones? If not, do you have anything to protect your components from the radiated heat?

Thanks.

I removed the shields and ground off all the mounting points. I then had both manifolds and the cross over pipe Ceramic coated. The Ceramic coat should supply the same, if not better, heat displacement than the shields did. I don't intend to do anything more with them. So far, everything seems to be withstanding the heat just fine.
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Just dropped in to say nice job. Some time back, I spoke a few times with JR. I was temped to have him do a swap for me as I had too many projects and not enough time. In speaking with him, I got the impression he was a hack and I walked away. Now that I recently read though your horror story, I'm shocked. I figured he was a hack, I just didn't realize how bad.

In the end, you turned it into something sweet.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 07-22-2008).]

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

Just dropped in to say nice job. Some time back, I spoke a few times with JR. I was temped to have him do a swap for me as I had too many projects and not enough time. In speaking with him, I got the impression he was a hack and I walked away. Now that I recently read though your horror story, I'm shocked. I figured he was a hack, I just didn't realize how bad.

In the end, you turned it into something sweet.

hehe I'm glad I bumped the thread after a 5 month dry spell

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Looks great!

Congrats on your success.
The more I think about it, the more I want to do an L67.

Originally posted by JimmyS:
I removed the shields and ground off all the mounting points. I then had both manifolds and the cross over pipe Ceramic coated. The Ceramic coat should supply the same, if not better, heat displacement than the shields did. I don't intend to do anything more with them. So far, everything seems to be withstanding the heat just fine.

My 3.4 coupe is running no heat shields whatsoever. I'm running FOCOA headers, BTW.
The silver ceramic coating does an outstanding job of keeping the heat inside the pipes where it belongs.

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
Man I've read all your HORROR stories with JR at kitcarman.com Man that was some crappy work. You should have kicked his azz then sued him! Plus any shop owner that has a nasty, sloppy, shop and grounds(as well as is nasty looking himself). Is a slob and 9 times out of 10 it will reflect in their work!

Did you ever sue him? and what was the outcome?

Engine looks great now!

Ikon
PFF
System Bot
red84fieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red84fieromanSend a Private Message to red84fieromanDirect Link to This Post
dude what ever happened to jimmy

And you completed your own project in about 25% of the time that CARKITFATMAN completed, wait DIDNt complete your first sc3800
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Fairly sure jimmy drives the crap out of this car now.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red84fieroman:

dude what ever happened to jimmy

And you completed your own project in about 25% of the time that CARKITFATMAN completed, wait DIDNt complete your first sc3800

I'm here and doing well.

Yes I drive the car every day. Other than a few very minor problems, the car has been great for the past 2 years now.

I just had some in car tuning done (Dec. 21st 2008) by Paul from prjperformance.com and man does this car run now!
Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
did carkitfatman ever make this right or make any attepmt to explain this?
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
While reading thru this very interesting thread, a couple of things struck me. You need to have 1st hand knowledge of somebody's work before honking out big bucks. I wonder if Jimmy went by offhand word of mouth or did he see and look over some of JR's work? I'm not knocking Jimmy at all, just wondering. I would be happy to see the way he did this thread as it makes me more aware of potential problems every time I look at my beautiful GT and start picturing a swap. When I saw the early photo of the oil filler cap with the red silicone on it, I kind of figured it was going to get ugly.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
I had a chance to ride in the car a while back while I was on vacation in Ft. Meyers Beach... he's done a great job with that car. I am glad that stuff is working out for you. Hope the fiberglass work pays off for you as well!

He did mention that when he died, that he would be put in the driver's seat the car was going in the ground with him....
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This so called "Kitcarman" seems to have developed quite a reputation for doing very low quality work. I've read more than a few horror stories about his swaps that have fallen apart. If you do lousy work like that around here you'll be run out of town in a heartbeat. Good job by Jimmy for correcting the mistakes and for achieivng a nice result.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock