Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero to Corvette Brake Upgrade (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero to Corvette Brake Upgrade by techman2
Started on: 04-05-2005 10:34 AM
Replies: 240
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-21-2006 04:22 AM
techman2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2005 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
So I can pickup this brake book you talk about at any auto parts place like Auto Zone or Advance Auto.
IP: Logged
fiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2005 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post
actually chapters, amazon, indigo, any major book place; check out their websites and pick a good one.
worth its weight in gold.

I just had a quick look there and don't see the one that I have but there are TONS
get something that covers design and you prob DON"T need anything with ABS ....... at least for your fiero.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2005 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
There are alot of brake books at Amazon (1545). Could you give me the title of you to kind of narrow it down.

I also found alot of Covette parts on E-bay from a company call Mac Auto Parts. Have you heard of them before, I am really going to have to check this company out, if thay are good then they are selling new corvette parts for pretty cheep like $40 for a set of new front rotors.

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
There may be a clearance issue for those doing the Bubba 12" corvette brake caliper swap and user StreetDreams aluminum drop spindles. Rotors spin when they are not bolted down with lug nuts, but after...... lockup. My rotors came labeled but how can I visually tell otherwise which are fronts and backs? If all is in the right locations( only have done the fronts so far) then I will have to mill the adapter block a few thousandths or the opposite adding spacers (washers).
fiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by techman2:

There are alot of brake books at Amazon (1545). Could you give me the title of you to kind of narrow it down.

I also found alot of Covette parts on E-bay from a company call Mac Auto Parts. Have you heard of them before, I am really going to have to check this company out, if thay are good then they are selling new corvette parts for pretty cheep like $40 for a set of new front rotors.

Techman; you are best suited to decide on the book issue; only you know 'what you do and don't know' about brakes and so read some descriptions etc and see what sounds good..for YOU. You want something that explains the theory of braking and is not so specific to any one type or car; and don't bother with ABS (for this application anyway). There are lots there; they are probably race car oriented and say something like 'brake system design' or that sort of thing. Two books are better than one. Again, read the descriptions and the follow-ups that people post.

You will find that vette rotors can have all kinds of different 'offsets, (as well as thicknesses); or in other words, are 'dished' different amounts which of course will dictate the caliper mounting details. Get familiar with what you need and make sure that all the parts are made to fit together.

Visceral; not sure what you mean by clearance issues when locked up (but not when rolling? Is that what you mean?)

I have to be a bit concerned; brakes are not something to learn on; learn FIRST then practise it after. Make sure you are up on all the ins and outs before you do any work........ you could kill yourself or someone else. It is not like fiddling with a carb or something.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Fiero308 I wouldn't be concerned about myself, I have worked in industrial hydralics for five year and worked on and rebiult many braking system including the one on my Fiero. But when it comes to modifing the braking system I am a little green that is why I started this thread. So I can get the correct information to build a system that will work and be safe. To find the right parts that work together as a system and work correctly.

That is why I ask specific questions about the master cylinder and calipers so the master cylinder will supply enough fluid to the calipers and so on. If there is a book that tells you the specs on master cylinders and calipers I would like to know without searching through 1,500 books without finding it because I am looking under the wrong thing.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Any more comments or info on the Fiero brake upgrade using Corvette parts
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I do, but the numbers are over at the shop. I can post them to the thread tomorrow morning if that will help you out. The ones I ordered fit perfectly on my car with the '88 calipers with the e-brake.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

jstricker, do you have the GM part number for those REAR caliper brackets??? I need the brackets for the newer style with ebrake..

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
The core charges kill you though. Fronts are cheap, something like $5 each, but the rears are more like $65 IIRC, I'd have to look at the ticket again and that is also at the shop.

John Stricker

To let you now fiero308 I am looking in that direction also, so if you get the adapters figured out please let me know. I plan in the future to post as much information as possible using bothe the all stock Corvette parts and with the Wilwood calipers and let the person decide which they perfer or if they want to customize or modify either one.

As far as the cost I know you can get Corvette calipers at O'Reily's for around $45 front and $70 rear, I know these are rebuilt but it is a cheaper way and I will let the person doing it select which way they want to go.

I do like the Wilwood caliper idea though, they are diffentantly better than the stock Corvette calipers and since they are rigidly mounted the pads will not wear out as fast and give you better stoping. Do you plan on using Wilwood in the back also?

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks jstricker for the info, please let me know.
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Bump
PFF
System Bot
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Front Calipers, OReiley:

55.75, $5 core charge 18-4183, 18-4184

Rear Calipers, OReiley:

$38.75, $50 core charge, 18-4323, 18-4324

Rear Caliper Brackets, GM:

P&G Chevrolet, 10112652, 2 required (same part fits left and right), $32.46

Banjo Bolts, Speedway, 10mm X 1.00, $6.95 (you can find them cheaper, but they're overnight to me with ground shipping)

The standard SS Brake line from The Fierostore works fine with the calipers with the new Banjo Bolts (the kit doesn't come with any).

John Stricker

Thanks jstricker for the info, please let me know.

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 04-29-2005).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

Rear Calipers, Autozone:

$38.75, $50 core charge, 18-4323, 18-4324

Do you think they'd notice if you returned rear Fiero calipers instead?

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
RCR I don't think they would notice, but I would ask to see if they would mind, it just the way I am. I wouldn't like it at all if they wouldn't correct the matter and the Fiero caliper was miss labeled as something else.

jstricker do you think the parts I listed from e-bay would work.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
jstricker, Ijust tried to look up those part numbers on the Autozone website and they where not correct.

They might be O'reilly part number, I could be wrong just thought to ask.

cheetah

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know the size of the threaded hole on the stock rear spindle? The stock Fiero caliper bolts on with these two holes.

The bolt seems like it should be a pitch of 1.50 (metric), but is the diameter of a 7/16". I need to buy shorter bolts to put my adapters onto the spindle, but I can't find a bolt that fits. I don't want to have to drill it out and tap it if I don't have to.

BTW, I am doing this upgrade, since I just got my 17's (pictured here:
http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheels_detail.php?mw_id=4&sw_id=27

I have made two sets of adapters so far. One set will go on my car, and another will be available once I test fit everything together.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
I think those are 11mm x 1.75.
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Bump
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Can someone please email me the AUTOCAD file of the front brackets. I have the Street Dream Aluminum drop spindles and the front bracket has to milled down from a thickness of .875 to .675. Other brake upgrades(11.25") Grand Am and stock have the front bracket mount on the interior side of the spindle ears, which is the norm and this spindle was designed with mounting within spec of a stock spindle. My spindle has about a 1/4" added material on the outer mountng ears of the spindle and of course thats where the 12" brake adapters mount. I'd really appreciate someone emailing me the front backet design in autocad format. Thanks in advance. Or if someone could cnc a new pair that would be great as well. Please dont PM me in the Forum as I usually never check it. Thank You.

email: Patrickmcp@hotmail.com

------------------

Patrick Szewczyk
1987 Fiero GT 3800SCII in process!!, Getrag, Spec Stage 3 clutch, Koni's, coilovers in the back, Held anti-bumpsteer kit, lowered 2" -Street Dreams dropped spindles, poly bushings: control arms-sway bars-cradle-dogbone, Bill Levin's awesome lowering engine & tranny mounts, rear sway bar, Darrell Morse's Strut Bar, pioneer cd player, Rodney Dickman's short shifter, bushings, etc..., 12" Corvette calipers & rotors- w/Ebrake, k&n filter, 3800SCII that's in and getting debugged, Fastfiero's pcm-low alt mount-tstat-prj fuel rails,w/ 3.4 pulley, total-seal piston rings, intercooler, comp cams vs cam, ported & matched heads and intake, Performance3800 3" collector headers, full stainless 3" exhaust+flowmaster, + 17x7.5 MiM Venezias wheels + 225/45/17 and 235/40/17's.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
jstricker I tried again to locate those part number at auto zone and couldn't. I went to the O'Reilly's website and found the 18-4323 and 18-4324, but not the 18-4183 or 18-4184 could you let me know what year front calipers you are using.

Thanks again

PFF
System Bot
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
for the front calipers 1984-1987
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
VISCERAL thanks for the help but those years still do not connect to the 18-4183 or 18-4184 part numbers that jstricker gave me.
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks VISCERAL for clearing that up. It was sort of confussing, when I looked up the rear calipers for the 96 on O'reilly's website it gave me 18-4323 and 18-4324. When I looked up the 87 front calipers it gave me 18-4193 and 18-4192. If these are all Cardone calipers why is there a differance sometimes and other times not.
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Just different part numbers for unloaded and loaded calipers, same caliper of course, come with or w/o pads your choice. And then there are the 13" HD ones.

[This message has been edited by VISCERAL (edited 04-28-2005).]

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
OK I understand
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about that, typed quickly from the shop, they ARE O'Reiley numbers.

The counter people wouldn't notice, most likely, but you know they have you return them in the same box. You know why? They put a sticker on it and it's tracked. when it comes back to the rebuilder and it's not what's supposed to be in, the dealer will get billed for it. He may, MAY then bill you back and you'll owe him for it.

Besides that, it just sucks to do that. IMHO, you're screwing them with the wrong parts. Do you like it when you get the wrong parts in the box that's labeled right?

I don't.

John Stricker

jstricker, Ijust tried to look up those part numbers on the Autozone website and they where not correct.

They might be O'reilly part number, I could be wrong just thought to ask.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
The front calipers are '87 corvette Girling (australian) calipers.

John Stricker

jstricker I tried again to locate those part number at auto zone and couldn't. I went to the O'Reilly's website and found the 18-4323 and 18-4324, but not the 18-4183 or 18-4184 could you let me know what year front calipers you are using.

Thanks again

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Link 1, that's the correct master cylinder, but at an average price, up to you

Link 2, Those are the right year front rotor, but don't appear by the picture to be of equal quality to domestic rotors, your call. Do you really want to run $30 rotors?

Link 3, No, you need '88 rear rotors, not the pre '88

Link 4, Those calipers don't look right. They look like dual piston and mount differently so I'd say they are for the 13" brakes and won't work with the brackets and adapters that BubbaJoe has spec'd

I also don't know why you think you need '96 calipers for the rear, you need '88 calipers. They have the mechanical parking brake setup built in. All of this has been covered in this thread and Bubbajoe's thread.

John Stricker

What do you think of using these parts from e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970664594&cate gory=33566

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970680920&cate gory=33564

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970681189&cate gory=33564

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item =7970670669&category=33564&sspagename=WDVW

I just need to find a good set of rear calipers for a 96 with E-brake

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Yes they do, I just looked them up on O'Reileys web site again.

John Stricker

VISCERAL thanks for the help but those years still do not connect to the 18-4183 or 18-4184 part numbers that jstricker gave me.

PFF
System Bot
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
jstricker thanks again for the advise, I thought Bubbajoe said to use 96 rear calipers if you want an E-brake, I wqill re-read it again.

The pics of the calipers are not Corvette calipers they are just generic calipers.

I will look for better rotors, they are plentiful so I should have no trouble finding better ones.

Thanks again

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
I know it has been awhile since I looked at this, but today I came across these rotor and wanted to ask your opinion on them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7971719979&category=33567.

Soelasca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoelascaClick Here to visit Soelasca's HomePageSend a Private Message to SoelascaDirect Link to This Post
The bolt size you were looking for I believe is a 11mm by 1.5. It's an oddball for sure. I drilled the holes out and helicoiled them to 7/16 course for my brake upgrade.

cheetah

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cheetahClick Here to visit cheetah's HomePageSend a Private Message to cheetahDirect Link to This Post
I thought that was the size. I just tapped them to the M12 x 1.75 to match the front.

http://www.cheetahonline.com/rims.jpg

shows my status. I have the rotors on, the caliper adapter brackets mounted, and am waiting on the UPS guy to deliver my calipers and caliper brackets. While I had the front hubs off, I put new bearings in. For the money, why not.

This upgrade has not cost as much as I would have figured. I made my own rings and adapters, and have maybe $350 total into the whole upgrade. Definately worth it.

BTW, with no brakes on the car (not even the friction of the pads on the rotors), the car rolls real nice up and down the driveway! I pull the car out of the garage to clean and work on the interior (getting a 2000 Camaro SS interior).

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2005 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
If you want the mechanical parking brake for the rear calipers you need 1988-1996 years
VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Could someone PLEASE post pics of how they attached the parking brake cable setup. I have the 1996 vette calipers on my 87. Thanks. The fiero has the barrel cable stop while the vette has the loop end. My rear calipers came with some short cables with the loop ends still attached. Help.
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
could someone post the link to O'reilys please!
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Mine aren't hooked up yet but I have a plan on HOW to hook them up with the ends from the Fiero cables. We cut off the ends of the parking brake arms on the Fiero calipers so it had that little hook area on it, then welded that to a piece of chain link (actually 1/2 a link) that just slips over the vette actuator arms. We made the links long enough so the at rest length was the same from the vette mounting bracket with the round hole to the piece we had to fabricate.

Now the part I don't like. The cable end is now pointing DOWN pretty much straight. It would be too tight a bend to get the cable to lay OVER the lower control arm, but it might work to lay it UNDER the control arm, something I don't really want to do. What I'd like to find is a hard cable end that turns it 90° and have two custom cables made but so far I haven't found anyone that can do that. When I get that far, if I figure something out, I'll let you know. Getting the Fiero cable attached is the least of your worries. I'll try to take soem pictures of the ends tomorrow, if I don't already have some on file.

Nope, just went back and looked and I don't have a picture of the brackets we made. If I don't post something tomorrow shoot me a PM or something to remind me.

John Stricker

Originally posted by VISCERAL:

Could someone PLEASE post pics of how they attached the parking brake cable setup. I have the 1996 vette calipers on my 87. Thanks. The fiero has the barrel cable stop while the vette has the loop end. My rear calipers came with some short cables with the loop ends still attached. Help.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
O'Reilly Auto Parts

John Stricker

Originally posted by nightonfire:

could someone post the link to O'reilys please!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock