Started on: 10-07-2007 09:48 AM
Replies: 255 (21287 views)
Last post by: FieroG97J on 06-05-2023 09:47 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Have four brackets...

Do I have dibs on a bracket, or am I fifth in line?

IP: Logged
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent, anytime you want one.

That will leave two left... for now...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay, chalk another one up for Vancouver BC.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36389 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Patrick:

As you probably know, Rodney Dickman sells his Power Pulley Kit with an idler pulley.

I have no idea if Rodney will sell his pulleys without the rest of the items shown.

Good news!

I've been in contact with Rodney Dickman and he has agreed to sell just his pulleys from the above kit for $55. That's a very fair price. His idler pulley isn't required when Dodgerunner's bracket and a belt tensioner are being utilized, and the supplied belt would've probably been the wrong length as well. (Until someone combines Rodney's power pulleys with Dodgerunner's kit we won't know for sure what length belt to use.)

Anyway, to repeat, the good news is that for $55 we now have the option of buying Rodney's power pulleys without his idler pulley (and belt) to use with Dodgerunner's bracket and belt tensioner. Thanks to Rodney for being flexible and fair with his kits and pricing.
FieroVin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to say that I put my tentioner in Sunday and today it was pouring out, and not one hint of belt squeel.

This is a great upgrade!

------------------
Vin

MAFOA Webmaster
87 GT Black
87 GT Med. Red Metallic

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all that have bought a bracket or kit.

As of today I have a commitiment for the last bracket kit of the four I had done.

I will be spending the next month painting my 85GT so will stop production of brackets for a bit and pick up after the car is painted.

I will be making more and if there are some rainy days I may just do a couple, never know...

Thanks to a great bunch of guys.

I have two other ideas that some might be interested in I'm drawing up that are body related.
One I'll do for sure, the other will take a fair amount of work since it involves fiberglass so will see.
Their two items I want to add to my car and will offer a couple extra to see if there is interest...

Got you wondering now......don't I...

Thanks again to all.

Dodgerunner...
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a worthwhile upgrade and a great product. One of the best things I've ever done to my car.

I'll be watching for the new stuff. Don't keep us hanging too long...

-fh

edit: hey, lookit, 300!

[This message has been edited by fierohobby (edited 05-22-2008).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 02-09-2010).]

Nilknarf

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2008 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take the last one if it's still available. PM sent.

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got around to installing it this weekend, and I just wanted to say.. Pure gold! It works awesome and the install was a breeze. Thank you, dodgerunner! =D
Bassman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BassmanClick Here to visit Bassman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BassmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought this kit last year for my '86 & a buddies '88...great upgrade
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2008 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any kits available right now?

-Gary
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2008 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i might need another one.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

The install of your bracket was incredibly easy, if I hadn't been messing around with other things as well It would have been done in no time. I had an easy way to install the Gates tensioner as well, worked great.

I just started the bolt in the center of the tensioner, then put a small allen behind it and used a screwdriver to rotate the base into place, and push the pin into location:

I finally got around to installing the tensioner. I had to replace my harmonic balancer at the same time and all went well.

But I gotta ask... Blaise, I didn't really understand what you had done until I got in there and tackled the job myself. I used the same Gates tensioner that you used. Having said that, I don't understand why you had to rotate the base into place the way you did. Not knowing any better, I bolted the tensioner in place, and then using a 3/8" ratchet in the 3/8" square hole in the face of the tensioner, I rotated the tensioner against the spring tension to allow the belt to be slipped into place. Isn't this the way it's supposed to be done?

Please be aware I'm not being critical of your method just to be critical , but it was so easy to do it the way I did that I thought I should share the info.

And it's SO NICE not to have a squealing belt anymore!!!!!!

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any available?

-Brian
MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in getting one too. Do you have the belt number for one with a power pulley from the Fierostore? Thanks
Matt Jackson
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have that (power pulley) information but if you look near the bottom of page two and top or page three Patrick was working on that. You might contact him and see what worked for him.
He was not using the Fiero store pulley, don't know if Rodney's is the same or not.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-12-2008).]

PeteGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PeteGTSend a Private Message to PeteGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Product !!! Easy to install. And it Works. Plain & simple. Worth every penny.

------------------

There's no shame in not owning tools.
Just like there's no shame in holding your wife's purse for a minute.

PETE GT

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't have that (power pulley) information but if you look near the bottom of page two and top or page three Patrick was working on that. You might contact him and see what worked for him.
He was not using the Fiero store pulley, don't know if Rodney's is the same or not.

I still haven’t bought a Power Pulley Kit from Rodney yet, although there's a chance that Xanth has already done so.

I might also mention though that the '85-'87 Power Pulley Kit that Rodney sells has a smaller pulley for the alternator in addition to the smaller crank pulley. I believe this is different than what the Fiero Store offers and therefore belt sizes will probably not be the same.
rdnkbobby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdnkbobbySend a Private Message to rdnkbobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would like one of these kits soon how do i order one?
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im interested in a kit as well
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to get one too. Are you making a list of people that
are interested in getting a kit? Please let us know. I just placed an
order for one of Rodney's, but after seeing this post I'm going to
cancel and wait for yours.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Received my bracket today.
A solid-built bracket that has such a glossy finish on it, I'd swear it was powder coat if I couldn't still smell the paint curing.

Very nice DodgeRunner. I will be hitting a Salvage Yard tomorrow to grab a tensioner for this.
MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally got around to installing mine on my Formula. I have the Fierostore power pulley installed (thanks previous owner) and had to get a different belt. The belt that I used was a Goodyear Gatorback 4050425 which is picture below. So it's a 42.5" belt. Thanks for a great product and instructions. Matt Jackson

------------------
MRJ

[This message has been edited by MRJ (edited 05-25-2009).]

Larry Nakamura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to give some feedback here on the board. I've installed
the kit on my 88GT and it works great. I highly recommend this mod
to any Fiero owners that are having slipping/belt squeal problems.
Kodoos to Dodgerunner for helping us keep our Fieros running great.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updated map to include mine, came from CoryFiero in SC
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bracket or Full kit available.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have the bracket available?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on another request and should have a couple more done by Monday.
Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting.

I've been told stock the Fiero has no tensioner. Is this true, and therefore the reason you're selling this?

I'm still pretty nooby to working on the car myself.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Samohtneas:

Interesting.

I've been told stock the Fiero has no tensioner. Is this true, and therefore the reason you're selling this?

I'm still pretty nooby to working on the car myself.

The Fiero 2.8 does not have a tensioner. You use the Alternator adjustment to tighten the belt.
The stock routing of the alternator belt on the Fiero 2.8 only lets the belt wrap around the pully approximately 1/3rd of the way.
If the belt gets any water on it, or loosens in the slightest, then the belt starts to squeal at idle or under extreme load, even at higher speeds.

You end up re-tensioning the belt by loosening the alternator and swinging it out further. This can cause other issues such as premature bearing failure in both the water pump and the alternator. I know this from experience, as I toasted the bearings in a brand new water pump in less than 1000 miles due to an over-tightened alternator belt. And the worst part is, no matter how snug you get it again, it will just stretch some more.

Dodgerunner's tensioner bracket solves this problem. The bracket bolts onto the engine in 3 locations. The two main bolts that hold it in place are the two motor mount to block bolts on the front of the 2.8. The bracket bolts in as two pieces, and then a single bolt holds the two pieces together once everything else is snugged down.
It is an ingenious design, and VERY solid when tightened down.

The third bolt that the bracket uses to attach to the engine is the alternator adjustment bolt. The bracket sits in front of the lower alternator bracket, and fixes the alternator in a permanent position. No more need to adjust the alternator for any reason.

Once the bracket is bolted in, it is ready for the stock GM tensioner from most GM 3.1l V6 engines. The tensioner bolts right onto the bracket. The bracket even has a nut with the appropriate thread size already welded in waiting for the tensioner bolt.

You can buy salvage yard tensioners for 10 bucks a pop, or buy new for 30-50 depending on brand and store.

I installed mine on my car on May 10th of this year with a brand new belt. When I went to start the car for testing purposes, it fired right up with no belt squeal whatsoever. I put it through a gauntlet of tests.. Headlights on, blower motor on high with the "AC" button turned on so the radiator fan would kick on. I let everything get up to speed, and then fired the car up. Not a peep.

I finally took the car to the car wash and let it idle in the bay while I hit the front of the motor with high pressure spray. NO NOISE.

In my honest opinion, this is one of the best improvement products for the stock V6 you can find, and everyone should have one.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got mine today and I will post again once I get time to install it on the car.
it looks like a nice part.
D.
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using Dodgerunner's belt tensioner bracket for almost 2 years now. First of all, the bracket works great. And I'm glad that my V6 now has a spring-loaded tensioner. And BTW, it works just as well on a 3.4 as it does on a 2.8.

However, I had some issues with belt stretch using the recommended 45" belt. When the belt is new, everything works great. But after it breaks in, it stretches a bit, which brings the tensioner close to the end of its adjustment range. After a while, it gets loose enough to start slipping. I was replacing the belt every 6 months or so.

I remedied this with a slightly shorter (44.5") belt. To install the shorter belt, I had to crank the tensioner all the way over. But after the belt broke in, the tensioner was at the center of its adjustment range. Hopefully, the shorter belt will last longer.

As always, YMMV. But I thought I should share this info.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-19-2009).]

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really happy with mine after about a year too. Unlike Blacktree, I found the belt to be a bit tight on our stock 88 2.8 manual. The belt actually let go the other day leaving me stranded. With less than 15,000 on a Goodyear belt, that was way too soon in my opinion.
I went with a 457 belt (45 3/4") this time. Still no squeeking and hopefully the belt will last a little longer this time.

STILL A GREAT BIG THUMBS UP ON THE TENSIONER!!! Thanks!!!
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've often wondered if there are some variations in pulley sizes on some engines but have no way of knowing. Hopefully there are not differences in the brand of tensioners that owners purchase their self verses what I use.

I have made small changes in the bracket to ease installation over time but I test run every bracket to make sure they work right. All brackets over the past year or so are of the same venison.

Even buildup of dirt in the pulley grooves could have an affect on belt tightness and wear.
Might be something I should advise to be checked before install.

Blacktree, 2002z28ssconv if you have any futher problems let me know and we can swap out the brackets if you would like.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've often wondered if there are some variations in pulley sizes on some engines but have no way of knowing. Hopefully there are not differences in the brand of tensioners that owners purchase their self verses what I use.

I have made small changes in the bracket to ease installation over time but I test run every bracket to make sure they work right. All brackets over the past year or so are of the same venison.

Even buildup of dirt in the pulley grooves could have an affect on belt tightness and wear.
Might be something I should advise to be checked before install.

Blacktree, 2002z28ssconv if you have any futher problems let me know and we can swap out the brackets if you would like.

DodgeRunner,

I went with a different tensioner design than what is shown in the photos in this thread. There were two main designs, the Gates style, and the more robust "OEM" body design. The OEM body design is the same length, but features a thicker body up to the pulley. In my case, the pulley is steel, and the tool fitting on the tensioner is closer to the pulley end of the body, giving more leverage. The pulley sizes appear to be the same, and this should not have varied for any of the V6s GM installed this tensioner on.
I have noticed very minor belt slippage recently, only when very wet. It goes away almost immediately. Keep in mind, the front of the engine on the Fiero is more exposed to water in large volumes (car wash or rain) than other GM vehicles under a solid hood.

I have checked my belt, and it appears to be in great shape, no cracks or questionable spots. I suspect there may be pulley size differences, but that are very minor. Enough to cause issues? Probably.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also use an OEM tensioner (pulled from a GM 3100 V6 in a junkyard) with a (new) steel pulley. I also have a CS130 alternator. The alternator came with a new pulley. So I didn't use the Fiero pulley. These minor differences may have caused my problems.

I still stand by the bracket, though. And I have no intention of removing the tensioner setup. I would still recommend the tensioner bracket to anyone who doesn't have one. But as with any custom application, you sometimes have to custom-fit stuff. That goes with the territory.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-20-2009).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2009 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:...However, I had some issues with belt stretch using the recommended 45" belt. When the belt is new, everything works great. But after it breaks in, it stretches a bit, which brings the tensioner close to the end of its adjustment range. After a while, it gets loose enough to start slipping. I was replacing the belt every 6 months or so.

I remedied this with a slightly shorter (44.5") belt. To install the shorter belt, I had to crank the tensioner all the way over. But after the belt broke in, the tensioner was at the center of its adjustment range...

I remembered reading this so as I was doing some maintenance on the car this weekend I looked mine over. The location of the alternator adjuster greatly influences where the idler is in it's operating range for a given belt length. I used DR's kit with his provided belt, it's not been on the car for a lot of miles but it appears to be located well and if needed I still have approximately 1/2" - 3/4" of adjustment left in the alternator bracket slide to take up a little bit of stretch.

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 09-27-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock