Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins (Page 23)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins by Bozzie
Started on: 01-26-2012 05:45 PM
Replies: 1166 (48412 views)
Last post by: Bozzie on 02-21-2023 06:27 PM
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now for the intake side of the intercoolers. I had to move a support for the lower diffuser to make this work. Its hard to just predict as things will go, theres always some change again and again till everything is mounted and routed.

Pontiacbuildersnortheast.com
IP: Logged
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Xover pipe from the Turbo outlet on and figuring how to mount is solidly. I welded a tap in-between

the shock towers to clamp onto.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Wastegate plumbed in and mounted. I'll vent this in-between

the exhaust tip later.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Working my way around from the turbo to the inlet of the intercooler.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Checking for clearances here. Its been awhile since ive had the hatch on and it feels good to see it on !

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Made a support for the turbo at the mount. Its SOLID !!

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Finally getting around to the last part of the piping. Mounts moved out of the way. Ready to finish

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
So at this point it all comes apart, to clean it up and clean up some paint. Building a car you get used to doing this over and over !

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
And final assembly , back together

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Wiring some electrical underside. With the battery in the front this is my connection to the starter. Makes it easy to just unbolt the one wire going to it and power is disconnected. Ive made this cradle east to drop just in case

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I got in a universal 4" downpipe on a 90. Pretty unrestrictive

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Well.....its supposed to be at a 90 degree. Looks like its alittle off ! Now I have to send it back and have it reworked. Time Time TIME !!! BUT building something one off is all about THAT ! BUMMER

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
MORE to come !

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boozie, impressive to say the least ------ the only thing you haven't touched on is a fire suppression system. Did I miss it or are you going to build one in.

Remember -Carlisle is now mid June!
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
STEVE !!!!!! I TOTALY forgot about that Now that you mention it a Halon system wouldn't be a bad idea........You got my mind turning now ! And ....thanks for the heads up about Carlisle. Next year is defiantly in the books thou now I have a little less time than I thought. Hoping to bring 2 cars down..... Alchemy and a MYSTERY car .....Whooooo hahahahahahahah

Boz
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Hey Mark....Look Familiar ??? Im going to post a build on this soon. Going to restore her and turn it into a roller for sale.....with engine and transmission choices available......or not

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Time for some heat wrap. I wrapped the downpipe and the intercooler coupler pipe. Cooler is KOOL !

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Turbo blanket on. The hatch framing is on and and not painted.... .soon.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I took the modified 4sp shifter out and got my 5sp shifter ready. Reverse lockout installed and welded in instead of bolted. Cables checked for fitment. Shifter feels MUCH better now. Tighter and easier to find reverse without hitting it over. The new Guru system uses a spring that you can adjust for pressure.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Shifter installed and cables adjusted and checked. This is a nice setup for a F40. Thanks Guru !

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Time to attack the dogbone. With the cradle stretch it puts it pretty close to the strut crossover. The engine and tranny are solidly mounted so this will be as well. Using a Rodney solid dogbone I had previously on I only used one half of it.

Drilled a access hole on the opposite side of the mount

Then bolted the mount in

SOLID !!!!

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Done for the day. Everything filled up, oil , coolant, intercooler , brakes bled and clutch bled. Ready for a fire up soon !

Tonight she has a sleepover

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had sleepovers like that!!!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He77, that is one heck-of-an update. Looks great.

Bob

mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the build Bozzie, I check the construction zone every time I'm on the site just to check it out.

A question for you. Why did you decide to run 2 intercoolers like that? Reason I ask is most twin intercooler setups are small side mounts from the factory that usually get replaced by a larger single FMIC that works better. The only other time you really see 2 intercoolers is when they are each cooling the air from seperate turbos. Not knocking, just curious.
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Neil ! Yeah buddy. Was a super sweet car. If I had it longer .......and could get permission id pull a mold off of it !!! But she was in for a fiberglass subwoofer in the passenger footwell. I'll post pics soon !

Good to see you here RCR ! I had a buncha pics backed up, a few more to go and i'll be caught up....with the pics anyway, this build.....someday !! As I would love to get your car / Neils car and some others together someday !

Mr_Corean, Thanks SO MUCH ! Good so see you here and any questions are ALWAYS welcome.....thou yours might give away what my future plans might be !! Its kinda a loaded question. In the Northeast it can get hot and humid , thou not as much as the southern states ! Happiest time to drive is the spring and the fall or at night as the air is cooler and denser and you can feel the difference in power. Probably going overboard this engine is Liquid to Air intercooled under the intake / front mounted cooler , and Air to Air intercooled after the turbo as seen in the rear. Last time she was out the IAT temps were alittle higher than I wanted, especially under higher boost levels for a longer period of time..... hence what ive done to try to rectify it. I definatly could of gotten away with 1 intercooler in the back. The "original" Koenig Competition was twin turbo and dual intercooled.....makes sense as you stated. I twin intercooled this car because..... A...... I wanted it to be to true to the original , at least in that sense .....I might lose a few pounds of boost but the turbo is plenty big enough to make up the difference..... and..... B....... in the back of my head as my mind is always thinking what I can do next......maybe.......just MAYBE..... id love to do a longitudinal setup with dual smaller turbos ......guess I might be on this build for AWHILE longer !!

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Not that this has anything to do with Alchemy , its a KOOL car and we were commissioned to build a fiberglass enclosure for it to make her BANG So here's alittle about that
2007 Lotus Evora

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Here we started out with making the rear of the enclosure. Made it out of MDF because its mostly all right angles on the floor.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Then using a 10" MDF "ring" we mounted it and spread over the enclosure "fleece" and stapled it tight. Just sitting here for now checking for fitment.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Looking good so far its time to get DIRTY and glass'er up ! Also laid up a few layers of cloth to stiffen it up......Here drying

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
When its dry we cut the hole out for the sub , ruff sanded it down a bit and cleaned it up. Back to test fitting to make sure it fits the way its supposed to

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Allz good so time for some finish work, black carpet to match.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Sub in and mounted BOOM !!

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Now this is done .....back to the build !

mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2016 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've got an a2w one as well? Looking at the pictures I see piping from the cold side of the turbo going to the right a2a then left a2a before it disappears up in to the engine area. If I'm understanding correctly you have that going up to an a2w and then intake?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2016 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mr_corean:

You've got an a2w one as well? Looking at the pictures I see piping from the cold side of the turbo going to the right a2a then left a2a before it disappears up in to the engine area. If I'm understanding correctly you have that going up to an a2w and then intake?

Dont want to hijack but for info: the WA intercoolers for the 3800 were originally designed to be sandwiched between the supercharger and lower intake. They can still be used with a turbo setup by gutting the blower rotors or replacing the blower with a normal NA intake. So I guess Bozzie's setup is: turbo-AA-AA-TB-upper intake-WA-lower intake- etc..
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Dont want to hijack but for info: the WA intercoolers for the 3800 were originally designed to be sandwiched between the supercharger and lower intake. They can still be used with a turbo setup by gutting the blower rotors or replacing the blower with a normal NA intake. So I guess Bozzie's setup is: turbo-AA-AA-TB-upper intake-WA-lower intake- etc..

Oh, the stock w2a. That makes sense. What kind of pressure drop off do you think you're getting with all these intercoolers? BTW, I was kind of thinking you were eventually going to go twin turbo with the 2 a2a coolers how you have them set up. I think that would be completely badas5!
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

Hi Neil ! Yeah buddy. Was a super sweet car. If I had it longer .......and could get permission id pull a mold off of it !!! But she was in for a fiberglass subwoofer in the passenger footwell. I'll post pics soon !

Good to see you here RCR ! I had a buncha pics backed up, a few more to go and i'll be caught up....with the pics anyway, this build.....someday !! As I would love to get your car / Neils car and some others together someday !

Mr_Corean, Thanks SO MUCH ! Good so see you here and any questions are ALWAYS welcome.....thou yours might give away what my future plans might be !! Its kinda a loaded question. In the Northeast it can get hot and humid , thou not as much as the southern states ! Happiest time to drive is the spring and the fall or at night as the air is cooler and denser and you can feel the difference in power. Probably going overboard this engine is Liquid to Air intercooled under the intake / front mounted cooler , and Air to Air intercooled after the turbo as seen in the rear. Last time she was out the IAT temps were alittle higher than I wanted, especially under higher boost levels for a longer period of time..... hence what ive done to try to rectify it. I definatly could of gotten away with 1 intercooler in the back. The "original" Koenig Competition was twin turbo and dual intercooled.....makes sense as you stated. I twin intercooled this car because..... A...... I wanted it to be to true to the original , at least in that sense .....I might lose a few pounds of boost but the turbo is plenty big enough to make up the difference..... and..... B....... in the back of my head as my mind is always thinking what I can do next......maybe.......just MAYBE..... id love to do a longitudinal setup with dual smaller turbos ......guess I might be on this build for AWHILE longer !!

Bozzie! Just checked....you're only about 7 hours away, and live less than an hour from my friend Glenn (also building the same kit as me). I'll definitely be up for a road trip when I'm done....

With respect to the twin intercoolers, I'm actually putting two in the same spot. Of course mine initially are for a slightly different reason...I need to visually block to opening in front of the rear grills. Without the intercoolers there will be framework visible. Eventually I'll have the new engine with twin turbos (phase III of the project) and the intercoolers will be in the correct position with excellent airflow...but for now...who's gonna know...
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fie Ro ., you are correct. The W2A is under the intake. Ive always had this cooler and its needed also for the spacing between the intake and the header crossover. Intake is custom Stattma.

[This message has been edited by Bozzie (edited 09-18-2016).]

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Neil , Thanks for chiming in ! 7hrs is Nothing That would be great to meet up, I think a few builds might be drivable within each other. Does Glenn have a build on here ? Its great to know there are builds not far from me. Your making me Jealous with your stage 3 Plans ! Building ahead for those plans is defiantly a time saver. Twin A2A Coolers are COOL

Boz

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock