Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins by Bozzie
Started on: 01-26-2012 05:45 PM
Replies: 1166 (48330 views)
Last post by: Bozzie on 02-21-2023 06:27 PM
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Just the outside layer the wing is weak so time to build her up.
Prepping it for 1/2" foam core

Core bonded to 1/2

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Trial fit again to check the sides

I didn't really like it so im going with plan B and adding abit more angle to the edge

I bonded 1 layer of glass to the bottom afterwords

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
And then glassed that w 2 layers to it

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Cleaned up alittle and trial fit

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I almost didn't bother posting because there's nothing to say...

Bob
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speechless is good sometimes

Thanks Bob !

And the build goes back to the bumper ................

Laying it out

I cut and laid out all the matting....there is abunch !!

Moved it close by

Getting ready,,, don't want to run out of resin

Glassed

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
When dry I popped it off

Cleaned it up

and back on

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Now working on the inside of the wing legs

3 layer sheet that is flush in the front and goes to 1/2 foam in the rear ... alittle taper

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like your tastes, I have been following this build for a loong time.

If we do have the same tastes, then you won't make the rear bumper extend down too too much farther

Think Lancia 037 (though it's pure rally so some compromise covering up an impact absorber that the 037 is missing)

I like where the bumper ends right now!

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 06-17-2015).]

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ZK......glad you like how she's coming out. As you can tell I have changed my tastes a few times on this build and a thousand times more in my head along the way Thanks for following as its been a long road for sure. As for the bumper it sits pretty low as it is ... not sure yet if im going to lift the car alittle or what yet. I still have the rear diffuser to build but its going to be pretty shallow and angular with a center exhaust outlet...hoping to get to that real soon. For now heres more :

Passengers side inner wing plate. 1/2" taper inward to the rear

Here you can see the foam core. Its only about 4" in to the front so it tapers

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Moving around a lot as things dry and my patience runs thin !

Alittle glass and fill on the door

This is the leading edge of the wing. The inner wing leg fits flush to it.... glassed together

Fillin on the passenger side

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Some sanding and checking

Now for the rear of the wing stands it tapers to 1/2" wider than the front so I made some glass filler plates and glassed it in

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I spend just as much time staring at this thing as working on it. After some measuring I figured the rear was about 2" to short so I moved the hatch rearward and made some filler panels. This worked out well because I had to make a front panel for the center vent anyway so not much time lost here.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
once that was glassed and sanded I flipped the hatch over and taped off where I was going to glass the underside. Here's how she looks on the bottom

and back together shifted 2" rearward

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Started filling alittle on the doors and some more glass on the front.

When the outside of the front is good enough I'll flip her over and clean up and reinforce the underside

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
The mirrors have been a thorn in my side for awhile now. There is simply nothing out there that I find will work for me on this car. So I decided to just make my own. Heres the start of it. 2000 Grand prix mirror base.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
After some trimming and removal of the mirror part I cut up a corvette mirror off a 2005 vette and started to mold the too together

Fooling around with the angles and width. Glued them together with super fast

Filled the voids with foam and will shape later

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
The taillight panel needed a top panel to mount the screen grill to later so I bonded one to it

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
To complete the rear hatch I needed a extension for the roof line. I cut the trailing 6" of a parts car and will use this as my base

I added a lip to it so the plexi engine cover can mount to this later

After another test fit the mirror needed alittle adjustment downward so I cut the top mount and spaced it out alittle with a paint stick and reglued it

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Time to frame in the rear bumper for support and mounting. Ive decided to make this removable so I can have easier access to the rear of the car / engine. Mocking up the supports.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

With it framed in I mounted it to the car

Then I pulled the body and added some braces to the mount

With this mount the rear light panel / bumper / bottom quarter will be removable and give me some good access

[This message has been edited by Bozzie (edited 06-17-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More work on the mirror. This actually goes pretty fast as the SEM problem plastic filler I use drys quickly and you can sand, shape, and refill quickly

Getting the rear ready for the next project....waiting for UPS !!

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Here's the 2 air to air intoolers to be mounted in the correct place in the rear.

Welding the mounts in and secured with gussets

Last year I Had a host of problems keeping the Turbo air cool so this better fix it !!

[This message has been edited by Bozzie (edited 06-17-2015).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not think that is going to solve the heat issue since all the engine and tire heat is right there unless directed from under the car.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is it you don't have a rating bar?? This is amazing work.

Best custom mods thread ever.

Bob
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just one word WOW !!!!
Added to my favorites

Danyel
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Again Bob ! Ratings are scary for me cause isn't that why Curly isn't here anymore ?? Thanks for chiming in Dan..... more to come !

intercoolers tucked away nice... I'll build venting from the top NACA vents to these later

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
The top of the hatch didn't have a provision for the vent so time to open it up for one

Welded the front of it in first

Then extended it rearward

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Then to mount the vent to the underside of the Hatch with Aluminum Angle

Once the bonding agent was cured I bolted on

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Working on the top of the hatch roof extension. Added a lip to the front to keep it from warping

PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

How is it you don't have a rating bar?? This is amazing work.

Best custom mods thread ever.

Bob

Quoted for truth and emphasis!

What a work of art.......this is the kinda stuff I used to see in the shop of the guy that taught me fiberglass. Talk about "inspiration"!

Phenomenal build and skills. I realize it's a "process", but you have heard the old saying that it takes two artists to make a "masterpiece", right?............you know, one to hold the brush and makes the strokes, and the other to knock him in the head when he's done! J/K, it's obvious and understood that you are a long way from being finished, and I'm sure you have an end goal firmly planted in your mind. I just know that had I undertaken such a huge project at my age alone, it'd probably never really be "done".

Good on you, and hats off to your patience, skills, and vision. Thanks for sharing your dream and the reality of giving it wings.

Added to favorites, and BTW, I gave you a plus quite a while ago.

HAGO!

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Quoted for truth and emphasis!

What a work of art.......this is the kinda stuff I used to see in the shop of the guy that taught me fiberglass. Talk about "inspiration"!

Phenomenal build and skills. I realize it's a "process", but you have heard the old saying that it takes two artists to make a "masterpiece", right?............you know, one to hold the brush and makes the strokes, and the other to knock him in the head when he's done! J/K, it's obvious and understood that you are a long way from being finished, and I'm sure you have an end goal firmly planted in your mind. I just know that had I undertaken such a huge project at my age alone, it'd probably never really be "done".

Good on you, and hats off to your patience, skills, and vision. Thanks for sharing your dream and the reality of giving it wings.

Added to favorites, and BTW, I gave you a plus quite a while ago.

HAGO!

What Sage said...

Joe
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for the look you have with your wheels, deep dish in the back and shallow in the front. What brand and specs are they?
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, thanks for "tuning" in and you compliments ! Its stuff like this that keeps me going when im running low on drive. Really appreciate it !
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Sage, man you really hit it on that one ! It is the journey thou for me. I wanted to get it out in the sun this year but there are still so much to do and many mods to make that while im neck deep in this thing it is the time to do it, rather than taking it all apart again ! Been there already on this !! Just letting the time frame and end game go and just go on with the build has brought me relief in this project. You surly know how the candle gets burnt out Thank you for your words and inspiration.

Joe...... Thank you !!

[This message has been edited by Bozzie (edited 07-14-2015).]

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Lornes, The Wheels are Bonspeed thou I would not recommend them as a company. They are 19x9 measuring 10" to the lip on the front and 19 x 12 measuring 13" to the lip. I have to look up the offset but the were built wrong to begin with. The front offset puts the wheel in the factory position. The rear offset was supposed to make it fit perfectly on the rear with Archie's widebody but they goofed and made it 2" to far out. Hensce the rebuilding and widening of Archies widebody kit to the point of where I am now. The rear has a 4 1/2" lip. Hope his helps, there are a few custom wheel factorys that build 3 piece wheels for about the same price as I paid for these puppys.

Boz
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boz check out this guy's build. http://www.madmechanics.com...ild-progress-24.html
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for taking the time to detail this build. I can live vicariously through this until I get up the Kahoneys to do a widebody myself. Very nice work.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 07-16-2015).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2015 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boozie ------- updates are overdue!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock