Lots of changes , re changes, going backwords and now finally moving forward with a plan that works. It really isn't easy building something from pretty much scratch, and making it pleasing to the eye.
LOL, "Mission creep" has been the bane of my existence, and one of the reasons I've only driven my '88 about a year out of about 16 years of owning... I Don't know how many 100's of hr's gone up in smoke because the results didn't meet the needs. Maybe you, Carlo and myself could start a support group...
Have you thought about doing a splash of your modified windshield surround, that could save someone else (hint hint) a lot of work, I like the idea of being able to use the Sebring windshield without cutting it. Wish I thought of it.
Hey Tony, thanks again, a lot of trial and error but its looking good as of now. The pics im posting are about 3 months behind so its just taking awhile to get this updated.
Joe, thanks for following this. I totally hear ya on what your saying and can completely understand. I wish a few of you guys lived closer so we could wipe each others tears ! I might actually make a trim for the Sebring windshield alittle later. I just picked up a parts car to mock it off of .......fingers crossed !
Heres where the hips start out. I used a piece of 1x6 and trimmed it to size. I cut and bent it in at the middle to get the bend shape. This will be duplicated on the passenger side. As I clamp it in place I look it over and over till im happy with the shape.
Lots of time here . This is just the beginning so its got to be in the ballpark before I use it for a mold
Ok, gonna skip the boring make a mold of this part and just jump to the part outta the mold. Once I got it close I applied mold release and dropped 3 layers of glass on it. While it was in the part I sanded it smooth which made it much easier. Here it is on the car for fitment.
Its got some good lines, alittle fine tuning later thou, as always
Whats not shown here is the 1/2 round glass panel I made using 3" pvc and making a panel out of that. I used this to shape the bottom of the upper air inlets so they round in at the bottom. Here im glassing them to the inlets.
A lot of shaping and sanding later shes looking good.
Tucked away till next time. Next step is the rear hatch... time for some metal work !
Thanks guys !! Tony, im really hoping for the middle of July to take her into the sun for a drive. Not done but drivable. Kinda like the timing of last year for the Carlisle show. Gonna miss it this year
Start of the rear area now. I started with a "L " shaped glass form that I cut to size and fit across the rear and onto the top of the deck. I built this the same as always using 2 1x12x8 formica shelves on a 90 degree and 3 layers later poped it out.
Moving onto the rear taillight area Really liked working on this, a simple piece that makes a huge difference. Its what will finally make the rear look like its coming together after all this time. I actually dreamed of making this when I first cut this car in half for the stretch .
I needed to add some venting to the rear deck because the turbo is right below. So I picked a vent from I believe a 84 fiero ?
While im fooling with the center vent Im working on the side NACA vents. I looked into this a lot and the dynamics of it. I wanted to just buy one that would work and make it a lot easier buy couldn't find the right size and shape. So here's my 1'st dab at it.
Also making a scoop for the vent
Once I got the size I made a plug out of wood and glassed it.
Trimmed to fit and adjusted it to the height I wanted
Along a build you always stumble on the next big thing. For me its this... the rear wing. It was definatly one of the harder things to build but gave me the most satisfaction... step on , mock it up with wood . pretty much build it like I want it to look but about 1/2" smaller so the glass will have room
the center pieces are just to keep the pieces straight , im gluing all this together and to the table for strength