Rickady88GT V8 build thread by Rickady88GT
Started on: 06-10-2009 08:55 PM
Replies: 418 (48218 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 07-30-2022 12:02 PM
Sharkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this is one amazing build. Love the dash. CanĀ“t wait to see the new doorskins.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

IP: Logged
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
California is stupid. The only difference between an LS4 block and a real LS6 block is the rear face. The LS4 block is the better fit for Fieros, while the LS6 package is the best configuration that can both be built into an LS4 block AND was certified with a manual. The best trans for a truly serious LSX Fiero has to be the NSX 6-speed. Go ahead and try the Getrag, but when you've had enough of it, ...
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

California is stupid. The only difference between an LS4 block and a real LS6 block is the rear face. The LS4 block is the better fit for Fieros, while the LS6 package is the best configuration that can both be built into an LS4 block AND was certified with a manual. The best trans for a truly serious LSX Fiero has to be the NSX 6-speed. Go ahead and try the Getrag, but when you've had enough of it, ...

Any cost estimate re: the NSX 6-speed? I tend to believe they might be a little hard to find in the boneyard... but I could be wrong.

Aside from that, I don't think 6 forward gears would be needed which is why I have discounted the viability of the F40. While I recognize that there may be a better choice for almost any part that I might choose, I need to keep things within a reasonable budget.

I'm also thinking of putting together a Fiero based car for the 24 Hours of Lemons event at Buttonwillow next year. Ran a Neon at the August '09 event, and it actually performed quite well. At least it had some Fiero parts on it... see if you can spot them.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=347948

http://forums.neons.org/vie...ic.php?f=51&t=343531

I don't want to hijack Rick's thread, so I will start another thread dedicated to the racing issues. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103464.html

In the meantime, I will consider this as a bump of the current thread along with my compliments on what appears to be an excellent job.

Couple last questions: Mated to one of the Fiero transmissions, would the LS4 fit into the engine compartment without any cutting on the passenger side? And, I have been told that the all aluminum LS4 actually weighs less than the 2.8. Is this true?

Footnote: At least one person on the Lemons forum thinks that a Fiero is a bad choice for the Lemons event. "Epic, unreliable sharts that illicit smiles from the judges' faces: Anything British, Anything French, Anything Russian, Fieros, ALMOST everything in GM's product portfolio from 1963-1984." See:
http://forums.24hoursoflemo...opic.php?id=1202&p=3

Almost sounds like a challenge.

------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 09-19-2009).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2009 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started my Fiero project with a truck LM7 5.3L, which is a bit longer than the LS4, attached to a 1/4"-thich steel adapter plate, and attached that to my stock '84 Muncie 4-speed transaxle, which was moved about 5/8" to the driver's side per Archie's method. You can see how well everything fit in my build thread on the other Fiero forum. The fit is the exact same with the Getrag 5-speed, which I also tried.
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun, fun, fun!
Hope that radio display was a sync. thing w/the camera, that'd drive me nuts if it were like that all the time.

Norm
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:

Fun, fun, fun!
Hope that radio display was a sync. thing w/the camera, that'd drive me nuts if it were like that all the time.

Norm

HaHa, yes that is one of those video anomalies.

We could not get a "good" video because the camera is old and beat up. We tried to set it on the center console but the sub is in there and shakes the camera up pretty good and is to low to see over the dash. Then holding the camera does not work all that well either.

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, just WOW!

Awesome work!

Updates?

------------------

180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, sheet metal upper intake, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 36# Injectors, T-62 Turbonetics T3/4, Haltech E6K, Liquid-Air intercooled, Synapse Wastegate. Shooting for 450+whp at 15 psi.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the tank out and adjusted the fuel level float. The gauge would stay at full for about 60+ miles before it would start to drop. Then it would run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank. It now stays on full for about 15 miles and runs out after the needle drops below the red zone (past empty). That way I know I have fuel in the tank as long as the needle is between the empty and full lines. The BCM is calculated for an 18gal tank or so, and that throws my estimated miles remaining way off. It starts out at 370+ miles on a 12gal Fiero tank, but I only get about 300-max. But the instant and average economy estimates are close.

The (default traction control) transmission abuse settings were killing me. So I took it to West Coast Fiero and Chris reflashed the ECM and took care of that problem. Now I can give it full throttle and reduce tire life expectancy by exponential amounts
I will make a list of things to change and take it back to WCF for some more improvements.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
As a side note, while at WCF one of the guys there had a decometer? It tested the sound decibels of the muffler less exhaust system on the LS4.
The "law" says 95 decibels at 10 foot behind the car at 45* angle to the side and running at about 3000-4500 rpm depending on its red line. Mine was well under 95db at the 3000 rpm park red line. I think mine was closer to 80db?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
must be the late exhaust opening. Great for low-rpm torque, not so great for high rpm HP.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I cant drive the car any more, I smoked the tire tread totally gone. I have to save up for a new set of tires.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
STOP SHOWIN OFF...... j/k.. great build rick!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie

Nashco

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you need better tires.
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds sweet, awesome build!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:

Looks like you need better tires.

Yep, the tires are KUMHO exta. They are now so bald that the cap belt (overlay) is exposed. BUT before the burnouts they were OK. BTW I did a few other burnouts that were not filmed, and the two that did get filmed were just "practice". After inspecting the tire wear, I "parked" the car pending new shoes.

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by LZeppelin513:

Sounds sweet, awesome build!

Thanks, it really is a fun car to drive. I drive it a lot more now with the V8 than I did with the Short Star V6.
PFF
System Bot
blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick did you use the 4T65E transmission?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkpearl:

Rick did you use the 4T65E transmission?

Yep, everything that came one the engine was installed in the car.

------------------

FieroFerrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2010 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFerrariSend a Private Message to FieroFerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am very impressed by the fantastic work going into this build. This is a great car now.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just read this entire thread. You did a wonderful job. My hat is off to you Sir
Joe Crawford
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2010 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
To get the steering wheel controles to work I had to do some surgery. NOT FUN

This is the tap shift and right control.

GM uses resistors to very the volts when the buttons are pressed. Basicaly the BCM is an OHM meter and will perform diferent functions when it sees the values it has in its memory. The problem is that the Malibu has much diferent resistance values than the Monte has. So the steering wheel is not a direct swap for the Monte BCM.

Are the buttons in the steering wheel actually lit blue, or is that just due to lighting in taking the picture?

And also, do you know what all the resistance values are for what the Malibu wheel puts out? I'm using the same wheel, but with a power tilt column out of a Caddy STS. I'm going to have to do a little more work anyway, since the Caddy has cruise on the turn stalk instead of the wheel. But I was wondering if you knew what the output ohm values are for the Malibu wheel. Thanks. Great job on the swap! I can't wait to get my LS4 too.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Are the buttons in the steering wheel actually lit blue, or is that just due to lighting in taking the picture?

And also, do you know what all the resistance values are for what the Malibu wheel puts out? I'm using the same wheel, but with a power tilt column out of a Caddy STS. I'm going to have to do a little more work anyway, since the Caddy has cruise on the turn stalk instead of the wheel. But I was wondering if you knew what the output ohm values are for the Malibu wheel. Thanks. Great job on the swap! I can't wait to get my LS4 too.

Yes they are all lighted, even the "+" on the tap shift buttons.
I don't know what all your values are? I have the values for the Monte and Malibu but not the Caddy. I used the Monte Carlo steering column because the Malibu had different controls on it that were not "compatible" with the Malibu dash wheel and Monte electronics combo. But the wheel control of the Monte were almost totally inconsistent with the Malibu controls. So it would be a "safe bet" to say the Caddy are also of different values.

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by FieroFerrari:

I am very impressed by the fantastic work going into this build. This is a great car now.

Looks like you are, what...about 40-45 minutes away? Maybe we should get together and talk shop some day?

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by josef644:

I have just read this entire thread. You did a wonderful job. My hat is off to you Sir
Joe Crawford

Thank you. It is far from done but is still very fun

------------------

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As a side note, while at WCF one of the guys there had a decometer? It tested the sound decibels of the muffler less exhaust system on the LS4.
The "law" says 95 decibels at 10 foot behind the car at 45* angle to the side and running at about 3000-4500 rpm depending on its red line. Mine was well under 95db at the 3000 rpm park red line. I think mine was closer to 80db?

The distance is 20 inches, not 10 feet.

http://www.celicahobby.com/...Bulletin-Exhaust.pdf
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2010 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes they are all lighted, even the "+" on the tap shift buttons.
I don't know what all your values are? I have the values for the Monte and Malibu but not the Caddy. I used the Monte Carlo steering column because the Malibu had different controls on it that were not "compatible" with the Malibu dash wheel and Monte electronics combo. But the wheel control of the Monte were almost totally inconsistent with the Malibu controls. So it would be a "safe bet" to say the Caddy are also of different values.

Interesting. Guess I will work on changing the LEDs in the buttons too, if they're all blue.
I think your issues with the different resistor values was all to do with the BCM? That doesn't matter as much to me, as I'll be building a custom BCM and stereo system in my car. Since I have to change the LEDs anyway, and some other custom wiring, I guess I can just see what the values are myself. Thanks for the info!
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic:

The distance is 20 inches, not 10 feet.

http://www.celicahobby.com/...Bulletin-Exhaust.pdf

After some very complex mathematical calculations concerning the difference between 10' and 20" I have concluded that the decibels emitted by the 5.3 may be slightly outside the "legal" limit

------------------

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
easiest remedied by adding a Supertrapp. :-) Or if that's what you're already using, remove a few discs.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

easiest remedied by adding a Supertrapp. :-) Or if that's what you're already using, remove a few discs.

I don't like the "super trap", I think I would rather continue driving without a muffler for a few more years. I like my C6 tips. They really do a good job of keeping down the noise.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick. I don't think it's mentioned in the thread anywhere, but what ignition switch and keys are you using? I'm looking for something more modern to replace mine with, since I'm having to move it for the steering column swap, and was wondering if it's particularly hard to deal with the "security" bits in the new switches, or if you can just ignore connecting them in a car without a BCM to deal with? Thanks again for all the info in your thread. It's an awesome build!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using the stock key from the 06 LS4 donor car. I am also using the steering column from the same car. So I don't have any problems with the keys. I also integrated the anti-theft system from the donor car. The Monte key fob is also functional. I have remote entry, trunk, panic and keyless start (the start function is not working yet because of a persistent crank sensor malfunction). I don't why the new key and lock would not work, as long as you are using a primitive ECM like the stock Fiero which does not require an input from the key. Of course you would need to do the proper conversion to adapt the ignition switch to the needed inputs for the Fiero.
Before the LS4 I had the 2000 Intrigue swap in the car and had the Olds key system in it. I replaced all of the key lock mechanisms over tot that one ignition key. So one key opened the doors trunk and ignition. I have not got around to converting the locks over to the ignition key for the LS4 yet, but with the remote I don't need to

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been sick and haven't been to work for a couple days and got bored so I dusted off the car and made couple videos. If there is any videos or pictures of the car that you would like me to take, just let me know.

Start up and showing the power steering working..

walk around showing some of the mods..

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!

Charlie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

walk around showing some of the mods..

Ah man, those retractable peddles are great! Over-all sweet ride. I Love the LS4.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick,
The car looks and sounds great. If that's a GM adjustable pedal, I'm proud to say I have content on your car. The controller is mine

Awesome job...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 04-13-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave