Started on: 06-10-2009 08:55 PM
Replies: 418 (48221 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 07-30-2022 12:02 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the car out last night for a 45+min drive. This is imposable to recognize as a Fiero from inside at night. The new dash and new color lights set this car in a different class. I now have blue lights on all my switches and orange gauges.

I need to try to get a good night pic of the lights.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-23-2009).]

IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
My tire diameter is a little smaller than the donor car tire. Mine are a little over 26" and the Monte was about 27". So my speedo is about 2mph slower than the speedo shows. This affects my instant fuel economy settings a little. As of my last long drive the D.I.C. shows 36-40 mpg in one direction and 30-34 in the other. Note that the wind and slope do affect MPG so an accurate reading needs to have both directions in the calculation. This is with the D.O.D. on. In V8 mode the instant economy drops to 25mpg at best. I know this is not accurate enough to bet money on but does give an idea of what is going on. I am keeping all my gas tank fill receipts to accurately calculate the real MPG.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
time to start with the engine mods! or add some boost. a t76 is a good way to go for a stock 5.3, but a pair of T4S04s would let you be at full boost several hundred rpm sooner, and take the power level a bit higher.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
The car is not done yet, so I had to enter it in the work in progress.

I will try to make some new video soon.

Very, very nice Rick. Your attention to detail is beyond normal. Keep up the good work.

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right to use the "indicated" MPG as a guideline, but in reality it's not really good for much. On my Sky, the indicated fuel economy and the ACTUAL fuel economy (using miles driven on the tank divided by gallons to fill the tank) are rarely the same. They are usually within about 15% of each other in either direction.

That's a bummer that you couldn't drive the car, as you've obviously put enough effort into this car to make it much more than a trailer queen. Keep us posted, and thanks for the update. I really dig that interior, now you've got me wanting to find a wrecked Malibu! It's a shame they only come with autos...

Bryce
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-24-2009).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Thanks for the comments.

The car should be smog certified before I even think about mods The ref might not think it is so cool with turbos? If I get it thru him first then I can do the other "little" things

I look forward to the new door panels and center console

My Short Star got an all around average of about 26mpg. I would be very happy to get better than that with a V8.

The Malibu dash is a bit tight on the leg room. The Malibu has a very tall driver cabin and the dash is tall too. I would make custom lower halves if I were to do this again so I could get 2" moor leg room at the lowest part of the dash. As it is now I just move the pedals all the way forward and the seat all the way rearward and my legs lay flat enough to clear the bottom of the dash. If I move the pedals or seat together, my shins hit the bottom of the dash. My wife has no problem.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-24-2009).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have over 300 miles on it after the swap and the last 115 cost me about 5 gallons. That is an average of 20mpg. I calculated the the exact miles per gallon to 20.48 mpg. The DIC says 21.2. So that is not bad for an estimate from the DIC. That is actually much closer to the actual than I thought it would be.

Passing power is MUCH better than the Short Star. I used to get to 80 passing a single car. Now I get to 100 if I let up just after overtaking the car. 0-60 is much better too.No "real" numbers but if I try to hard the PCM shuts down the throttle. So where it is now will be dwarfed by the post PCM tune latter.
ArbinShire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArbinShireSend a Private Message to ArbinShireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will try to make some new video soon.

Isn't that shifter a little close to the dashboard?
hksteck84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hksteck84Send a Private Message to hksteck84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say the build is most impressive, and I give you 2 thumbs up on the dash build. But I'm hoping your not completely finished with the center console. I see some MAJOR POTENTIAL with the center console... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as the turbos aren't between the exhaust manifolds and the cat(s), you're golden. just because Squires patented the rear-turbo concept with camaros doesn't mean you can't put a T76 or a pair of T4S04s after your cat(s) so long as you don't try to sell a kit. Nashco, maybe you've missed it elsewhere, but the LS4 with a manual tranms is as simple as boring the LS4 to 5.7L, plugging the DoD, and running it as an LS6, which is what I'm working on. Plus it fits better than a real LS6 with the Archie kit. You can have the 58x reluctor replaced with a 24x when you have the crank rebalanced for the larger pistons. Then just use the Ls6 programming and cam. the dbw tb is no issue, the LS4 heads are the same as the LS6 except for the valve stems, it's super easy.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArbinShire:

Isn't that shifter a little close to the dashboard?

It may be hard to tell but the shifter is cut down 2-3 inches (one of the few short auto shifters" and moved back about 3". It is in "Park" in that pic and I have 2' between the shifter and dash. For comparison my Olds Intrigue has 2.5" between the shifter and dash. So this on may be closer than a stock Fiero but I have plenty of room when the shifter is in drive. In park I can still put Cd's in the 6 disk in dash Radio. The heater controls are under the Radio so the radio is completely unobstructed. I can adjust any function on the heater controls even in Park without the shifter getting in the way..

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by hksteck84:

I have to say the build is most impressive, and I give you 2 thumbs up on the dash build. But I'm hoping your not completely finished with the center console. I see some MAJOR POTENTIAL with the center console... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Thanks, the center cover is just a piece of carpet with a hand made shifter boot. It is not the center console. I ran out of time for the West Fest Fiero show. I tossed that over the metal tunnel just to hide the tunnel for the show. I did not even have enough time to cover the doors. I have an idea how I will do the doors and center console but they will be latter.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Isolde:

As long as the turbos aren't between the exhaust manifolds and the cat(s), you're golden. just because Squires patented the rear-turbo concept with camaros doesn't mean you can't put a T76 or a pair of T4S04s after your cat(s) so long as you don't try to sell a kit. Nashco, maybe you've missed it elsewhere, but the LS4 with a manual tranms is as simple as boring the LS4 to 5.7L, plugging the DoD, and running it as an LS6, which is what I'm working on. Plus it fits better than a real LS6 with the Archie kit. You can have the 58x reluctor replaced with a 24x when you have the crank rebalanced for the larger pistons. Then just use the Ls6 programming and cam. the dbw tb is no issue, the LS4 heads are the same as the LS6 except for the valve stems, it's super easy.

We need to talk
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nashco, maybe you've missed it elsewhere, but the LS4 with a manual tranms is as simple as boring the LS4 to 5.7L, plugging the DoD, and running it as an LS6, which is what I'm working on.

Isolde, maybe you've imagined it elsewhere, but I never said anything about mating a manual trans to an LS4. I like all of the engines available in the Malibu (Ecotec BAS, 3500 w/ E85, 3600...all great swap candidates) and I think swapping the interior along with the powertrain would be great; similar to what Rickady's done, except without the Monte engine/Malibu interior complexity. The only thing I don't like about that idea is going with an auto, since that's all that was available in the Malibu.

Bryce
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I misunderstood. I saw it as you wishing for a legal way to have a manual trans with a Malibu engine, and thus the LS4, the only FWD engine on earth worth having. My apologies.
hksteck84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hksteck84Send a Private Message to hksteck84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, the center cover is just a piece of carpet with a hand made shifter boot. It is not the center console. I ran out of time for the West Fest Fiero show. I tossed that over the metal tunnel just to hide the tunnel for the show. I did not even have enough time to cover the doors. I have an idea how I will do the doors and center console but they will be latter.

Well I can't wait to see the new improvments. This build has really inspired me, and again keep up the good work.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick,
You make us Central Californians very proud!
bb
RONT4.9

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RONT4.9Send a Private Message to RONT4.9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have over 300 miles on it after the swap and the last 115 cost me about 5 gallons. That is an average of 20mpg. I calculated the the exact miles per gallon to 20.48 mpg. The DIC says 21.2. So that is not bad for an estimate from the DIC. That is actually much closer to the actual than I thought it would be.

Passing power is MUCH better than the Short Star. I used to get to 80 passing a single car. Now I get to 100 if I let up just after overtaking the car. 0-60 is much better too.No "real" numbers but if I try to hard the PCM shuts down the throttle. So where it is now will be dwarfed by the post PCM tune latter.

Don't have the DIC in mine, but using the trip meter i have checked mine a couple of times and it's averaging 22mpg overall. (I have the interceptor gauge and my speedo is vary accurate ) Also my car is the basic 88 coupe, so it may be a little lighter.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I can say is WOW.

Makes my puny efforts with my 4.9 and 3.4 DOHC pale in comparison.

Excellent work

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I have been camping with the Jeep and have not done a lot to the Fiero.

I did start to relocate the door speakers. They interfeared with dash and had to be taken out just to shut the doors. I made a blank off plate for the hole I cut, then mounted the speakers about 2" further back (away from the dash). I am not sure were to put the tweeters yet. This Monte Carlo radio needs an adaptor to use an aftermarket amp and subs. So that will be put off too I can use the 6 disc in radio changer and I pod jack but cant use the Tuner yet. I shaved my antenna before the paint job and and laid it down under the fender. I also mounted a second antenna under the driver fender. The problem is that this radio has different style antenna plugs for the windshield type antenna and won't plug into the ones I have in the car So I need to get a "Y" fitting to link the two Fiero antennas together then an adaptor to link the Fiero antennas to the Monte radio? If any one has suggestions I would appreciate them

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 08-03-2009).]

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This Monte Carlo radio needs an adaptor to use an aftermarket amp and subs.

Yes, you will need at the very least a line output converter, which can be found readily at your local Best Buy or custom shop. Basically, it takes a high (speaker) lever signal and transforms it into a low (line) level input for an amp. If you want very high fidelity, I recommend an Audio Control LC7, but anything with at least 4 channels should work fine. These are generally "better," because you get far more adjustability, they're generally built better and you'll get strong (~5V) pre-outs to your amps. Definitely the best route. These can be picked up from online, or possibly your local custom shop, depending on how much they deal with things like this.

The problem is that this radio has different style antenna plugs for the windshield type antenna and won't plug into the ones I have in the car So I need to get a "Y" fitting to link the two Fiero antennas together then an adaptor to link the Fiero antennas to the Monte radio? If any one has suggestions I would appreciate them

Yea, a standard Y-adapter should work fine for connecting the two, and can possibly be found at Best Buy or your local custom shop, but that guy may very well need to come from online. We never had them at Circuit City. You could always just make your own, too. For going into the factory deck, you'll need a 40CR20 if it's a Metra part. I'm not sure what American International or Scosche call them, but it's the same part. Basically a female connector for the standard Motorola antenna connector found on your Fiero antenna, and a male Chrysler (yea, that's right...GM used Chrysler antenna connectors for their newer cars) plug to go into the OE Monte deck. Your local Best Buy or custom shop will have this. We use them all the time for satellite radio installs. Just make sure you give them the year and make and model of the car, but I'm 99.99% sure it's a 40CR20.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, thank you very much. Would it be better if I just used some sort of after market add on windshield antenna? IF they even exist?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or you can replace the "stock" deck with a double DIN touch screen and use your amp. I'm not sure if you're going for the "factory GM" look though.
Stock stereo's tend to be really bad for sound quality. Line level adapters work, but they have only so much source material to deal with. Besides, you won't get HD radio. - I hear it's all the rage now.
DRKORN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRKORNSend a Private Message to DRKORNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not showing my flyfisherman colors here or anything but, AWESOME brown trout!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRKORN:

Not showing my flyfisherman colors here or anything but, AWESOME brown trout!

Thanks. Catch and release. It may still be there
That was the only fish I got. AND it was the very last "cast".
The day before, I tied spinners and cast masters but the fish laughed at me.
This day my wife and kids wanted to swim in that pool. But I wanted to fish with my daughter first. So an hour or so of my daughter taking the tiny gold hook tied directly to the line with a cricket around the pool and tossing it into the creek, I finally got one.
I saw the fish take the cricket so I "set the hook" but there was to much slack in the line. I thought it was gone, the fish took another cricket. So I reeled in the line and about half the line in I felt a huge tug. It was on, a great fight. I landed the fish and the hook just fell out of its mouth. It never set. I just kept the tension on the line and it stayed.

this is the pool I got the fish from. My daughter would walk the hook all the way around the top and drop the cricket in the small bowl at the top and it would fall down the little water fall and go it's natural flow down stream.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I finally ran out of gas today. The fill up was 10.38 gal + the 1 gal from the reserve can. After the tank mods I still have an 11+ gal tank. I went 229 miles on a full tank of gas and that comes out to 20.13 MPG. Not as good as the last tank of gas at 20.48. BUT this time I drove around town in 3rd gear instead of 4th so the DOD does not turn on in town. The polly mounts and 1,000 RPM at 30mph causes to much vibration, and I don't like the sound of a V8 4 cylinder.
I get some black soot in the tail pipes too, so a good dyno tune should help the economy and power?

I tried to get some video but the camera is in bad shape ( to much trail dust from 4 wheelin) and the quality sux.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once again, Nice Jeep! I love Cherokees!

Also awesome Fiero! You build some great machines!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Once again, Nice Jeep! I love Cherokees!

Also awesome Fiero! You build some great machines!

Thanks, I want to swap a V8 into the Jeep next How about a 6.2 Escalade with the 6 speed auto?
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick, where did you go for your camping trip? It looks real nice there.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hye_4_life:

Rick, where did you go for your camping trip? It looks real nice there.

That spot is "off the beaten path" but is in the Dinky Creek area.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2009 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting better, 25mpg.
I still have not had it "tuned" so I think it can be better.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I expect it to get much better, because I had a '78 Camaro, with the big rear spoiler, and a carbureted 350, that got 25 mpg. You have 25 less cubic inches, modern EFI, and better aerodynamics. Keep at it!
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you mentioned that a manual trans would not be smog compliant. However, my question is whether this engine would bolt up to the same bell housing as the 2.8-3.4, 3.8, 4.9, etc.?

------------------
FierOmar

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FierOmar, The LS4 will bolt right up to the same transaxles as the other engines you list, without an adapter plate. And even better, it can be emissions legal, all it takes is boring the LS4 to 5.7L, then using the following stuff from an LS6 as found in the Z06 'vette: pistons, cam, intake, and computer. Then you get it smogged as an LS6. The biggest hassle is getting the LS4 crank rebalanced for the LS6 pistons.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FierOmar, The LS4 will bolt right up to the same transaxles as the other engines you list, without an adapter plate. And even better, it can be emissions legal, all it takes is boring the LS4 to 5.7L, then using the following stuff from an LS6 as found in the Z06 'vette: pistons, cam, intake, and computer. Then you get it smogged as an LS6. The biggest hassle is getting the LS4 crank rebalanced for the LS6 pistons.

Not in CA. ALL they care about is the numbers on the block. The engine has to have the smog equipment that GM assigned to the block. The ref will check it. I even had to go to the CHP for an inspection to verify that the engine was not stolen property.
Now I will say that later you could change out the block and convert it to an LS6, but only after the initial certification and even then it will still be smog legal as an auto because the cert sticker. A better way to do it is to start with a manual equip engine. Certify that then swap to a LS4 block. Bu you have to ask yourself if it is worth all the trouble?

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:
I know you mentioned that a manual trans would not be smog compliant. However, my question is whether this engine would bolt up to the same bell housing as the 2.8-3.4, 3.8, 4.9, etc.?

Not in CA. ALL they care about is the numbers on the block. The engine has to have the smog equipment that GM assigned to the block. The ref will check it. I even had to go to the CHP for an inspection to verify that the engine was not stolen property.
Now I will say that later you could change out the block and convert it to an LS6, but only after the initial certification and even then it will still be smog legal as an auto because the cert sticker. A better way to do it is to start with a manual equip engine. Certify that then swap to a LS4 block. Bu you have to ask yourself if it is worth all the trouble?

Let me mention that my primary interest has been track performance (road racing)... not street. So, I really don't need to worry about smog, referees, etc.

So, looking at the various transmission options, any vote for the best choice?
------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 09-18-2009).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Let me mention that my primary interest has been track performance... not street. So, I really don't need to worry about smog, referees, etc.

So, looking at the various transmission options, any vote for the best choice?
[/QUOTE]

By "track" do you mean strip or coarse?
The easiest (as if there is such a thing) way to brake neck power from an all aluminum V8 is to get an LS3 with an Archie 6 speed F40 kit.
But since this LS4 is not my idea of the ultimate Fiero I will have to drive it till I get around to building a 6 speed LS3. But I don't plan to use the Archie kit. I have other ideas I would like to try.

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

By "track" do you mean strip or coarse?
The easiest (as if there is such a thing) way to brake neck power from an all aluminum V8 is to get an LS3 with an Archie 6 speed F40 kit.
But since this LS4 is not my idea of the ultimate Fiero I will have to drive it till I get around to building a 6 speed LS3. But I don't plan to use the Archie kit. I have other ideas I would like to try.

Road course (of course). And for such an application, I'm not so sure that a six speed gearbox would be needed although I do have one. I'm thinking 5 speed Getrag would do the trick. I happen to have one from a Fiero, a Beretta GTZ, and an Olds SCX with W41 option. I am thinking that the Beretta GTZ probably has the best overall gear ratios and final drive ratio for an LS4. As always, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

------------------
FierOmar

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay