Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Rebuild of Indy Fiero #163 Super Duty 4 (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rebuild of Indy Fiero #163 Super Duty 4 by fierosound
Started on: 11-03-2008 08:53 AM
Replies: 274 (60749 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-24-2023 07:44 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's it drive??? What a difference!

It even SOUNDS like a "race engine" now. Not because I'm winding it up to redline before shifting - because I'm not (always )
- but I am shifting at a slightly higher rpm than the automatic transmission would. Better control, feels faster too.

Much more FUN to drive now too!! Well worth the work to make the switch.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-04-2019).]

IP: Logged
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you're enjoying the car more now and happy that my parts went to someone who could put them to good use.

Nolan
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the Getrag 5-speed swap finished on on Saturday - went to Car Show NEXT day, Sunday (Sept. 27 2009)
Beautiful fall day, great show. The car drove great!

Today, a week later (Oct. 4), it's cold (just above freezing) with wet snow. Summer's over!

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-03-2012).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is not your Indy on ebay is it???
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely post a video of how it sounds!

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

That is not your Indy on ebay is it???

Nope.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-20-2009).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, there is an SD 4 cyl on there that is partially done. I emailed the owner in Bath NY. Her husband has passed and she is selling. I would like to try and get it and finish it for her. A way for her to maintain touch with him...sounds sappy but I would lke to.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-23-2009).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-14-2009).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually love yours...that is why when I saw this one so close (Bath NY) I kind of did a double take. Read my PM to you. I also looked at the engine setup, since that's the only pictures, and yours is slightly different (to me as a layman) but probably hugely different in truth. Her husband was in the process and died of cancer.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-23-2009).]

mtjd25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtjd25Send a Private Message to mtjd25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is an absolutely beautiful car, excellent job on it!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtjd25:

that is an absolutely beautiful car, excellent job on it!

Thanks very much. It's been a long, expensive road.

PFF
System Bot
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony: Since your the only person that I know of that has had a 4T60 mated to a 4 cylinder, how do you think it would work with a stock (slightly modded) 2.5 as compared to a TH125? And would you stick with the 3.73 gear or change it ?
Thanks Rick

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2009 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

Since your the only person that I know of that has had a 4T60 mated to a 4 cylinder, how do you think it would work with a stock (slightly modded) 2.5 as compared to a TH125? And would you stick with the 3.73 gear or change it ?

Please keep in mind that I am NOT running with only 92hp. That being said, the stock TH125 has a 3.18 final drive, so the 4T60's 3.73 (33/37 gears) should "feel" pretty good off the line with a Duke.

It's almost as low as the 4.10 "performance" 4-speed manual some Duke's had. Also the OD 4th gear is about equal to the 5th gear Duke's had with the Isuzu 5-speed manual. So it appears you have almost the "best of both" - the low 1st gear of the 4.10 4-speed, and the OD 5th of the 5-speed. With this gear ratio the 4T60 shifts into 4th at about 50mph.

I also have a set of 3.33 (35/35 gears) and 2.97 (37/33 gears). I DID have the 3.33 ratio (35/35) gearing initially, but wanted more punch off the line. You also never got into 4th gear until about 60mph, so I pulled the tranny and changed the gears for the 3.73 ratio (33/37 gears).

With the tranmission swap now done, I noticed that engine RPM at 60mph in 5th gear with the Getrag 5-speed is about the same as OD 4th with the 4T60 with 15" wheels/tires.

More on gearsets http://www.spacecoastfieros.com/tech/440-4T60/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-21-2010).]

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did I ever tell you that your car was driven by Bob Paxton at Indy during the race month? The best I can find is tha the was involved with College Basketball and I think he passed away September 2008 Rick B

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had noticed it was difficult to keep a high polish on the aluminum valve cover etc.
They also had a tendency for water spots anytime water splashed on them.

So I got my aluminum parts chrome plated. Please excuse the glare/reflections
Not cheap to do - but well worth it (and will look good forever).

Safastro made some vinyl letter cutouts for me to stick in the bottom of the letters.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045657.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-01-2023).]

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I had noticed it was difficult to keep a high polish on the aluminum valve cover etc.
They also has a tendency for water spots anytime water splashed on them.

So I got my aluminum parts chrome plated. Please excuse the glare/reflections
Not cheap to do - but well worth it (and will look good forever).

Safastro made some vinyl letter cutouts for me to stick in the bottom of the letters.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045657.html

Holy crap! Stunning.

This car should be in a magazine, with a nice article.

Seriously, you have a gorgeous beast of an Indy.

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 01-04-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

Holy crap! Stunning.

Thank you very much

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-05-2010).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please excuse the glare/reflections

No need to excuse, that looks fantastic!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sweet! I love the chrome job and painting of the PONTIAC red insert lettering.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have a gorgeous Indy great work! I like the red lettering for the PONTIAC insert also

------------------
Korey "Plastic Makes It Possible"
"Christine"86 Pontiac Fiero SE gold on black options incl luggage rack,power windows,power door locks,sunroof,4 spd,body colored wheels
86 Fiero GT black,grey ground effects (in pieces)
"Brooke"86 Fiero base coupe 2.5 4cyl/5speed
86 Buick Grand National bone stock
93 GMC Typhoon #1710 black on black bone stock

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys
PFF
System Bot
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Disgustingly beautiful.

Watch for my "build" thread coming soon...

The poor starving writers know nothing ghetto "build" thread.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates?!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Updates?!

Ummm... Car is finished. Car's been in hibernation because it's the middle of winter snows up here.

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta say, getting the intake and valve cover chromed made all the difference in the world! that looks fantastic!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Gotta say, getting the intake and valve cover chromed made all the difference in the world! that looks fantastic!

Thanks. I still have to find a nice chrome wing nut for the carb bonnet.
2fiero2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fiero2Send a Private Message to 2fiero2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought for the wingnut. Possibly have one made in the shape of the Pontiac Arrowhead Emblem .
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're all still waiting for beautiful sounds in the video we were promised on the last page..

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

pontiacjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacjeffClick Here to visit pontiacjeff's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And we all want dyno numbers!!!!! The 160 was way off. It should be making over 200whp I would think. if you want a good tuner, call this guy in Atlanta, Jeff @ Engineered Performance
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where can I get one of those wonderful valve covers for my duke? Heck, where do I get a super duty period? I would love to keep my car a 4 cyl... this is the most perfect build thread.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 07-30-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Where can I get one of those wonderful valve covers for my duke? Heck, where do I get a super duty period? I would love to keep my car a 4 cyl... this is the most perfect build thread.

Thanks The valve covers show up on eBay once in a while.

Look in the Mall? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/052355.html
Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10031327
MonsterPartsOnline has them for $171.12 Search for part no. 10031327

Start saving for an engine http://www.kansasracingprod...roducts/Welcome.html
A ready to run 16-valve SD4 http://www.race-cars.com/en...331/1107211331ss.htm

OR find car with SD4 engine //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/052380.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-31-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.. the car looked like the best option, just way out of my price range right now. If you ever get squirlly and want to sell that car, you should contact me.. you never know.
I have been giving serious consideration to a V8 conversion until I saw your thread, I am inspired. I would love to ride in that beast some time.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound.. you have a PM!
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to bump this thread and say that you have an amazing Indy!! I am restoring a Indy myself currently. And yours gives me motivation, but you also set the bar to damn high. LoL
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Truly amazing car and thread. Thanks for all the information and quality pics.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Have a new Tri-Y header coming from whodeanie soon.

Pics here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/075728-18.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-09-2011).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a picture from PFF member AADrcw of the Indy plates he's collected.
Besides the original plate #163 for my Indy, he has #162 and #164 as well.

Some other pics AADrcw has: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080747.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-16-2011).]

Pontiac_Dude1983

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac_Dude1983Send a Private Message to Pontiac_Dude1983Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is absolutely amazing! Congrats brother!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dude. Pretty sure it's close to being a 9.5 out of 10 now...

This Indy is that car that "just keeps on giving..." ... GRIEF!

Have to replace the A/C evaporator core - but new ones no longer exist - discontinued/obsolete.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-21-2011).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the TFS Calendar this month, man! It looks GREAT in my office!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock