Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Removing/Installing Outside door handle? Is there a trick to it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Removing/Installing Outside door handle? Is there a trick to it? by FieroCat
Started on: 03-18-2014 09:07 PM
Replies: 7 (979 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 03-22-2014 06:25 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The procedure for getting to the outer door handle to remove it is fairly straight forward, except… how do you actually get to the nuts inside? Is there a certain kind of wrench that makes it easier to reach them? Not certain how to remove the lock rods, but that would make it easier to get to. How do you guys do it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! The first link is definitely helpful, I'll have to get a swivel socket and remember to remove that rubber endcap.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just removed the outer door skin. I was able to do some other work inside the door as well and it was hard at all to do.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to remove mine but the (rubber?) torx bolts holding the skin on were stripped.
I think I may have to get new nuts for the handle because they don't seem to want to grab on to the new studs. They just turn loosely and keep falling off... hopefully I haven't ground the studs down too much to get the nuts to stay on. :/ Threads would make this a whole lot easier!
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the plastic bolts holding the door skin on check the link in my sig on removing the outer door skin, I have a tip in there for removing them.

There are also some pics that may help with the door handle.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info! I was able to remove the skin torx screws. With the skin mostly removed, I was able to get the old door handle off and mount the new one (with some great difficulty and swearing) through the opening.
In the process somehow, I broke what I believe is the skin adjuster block. Black plastic thing with a hex bolt that the rear belt line molding screw attaches to. Luckily the Fiero Store has it so I have that on order.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 thing that helped me was taking off one of the horizontal cross support bars under the inner door skin. They are riveted on. I drilled out the rivets, then removed the bar. Having that bar out of the way made a bunch of valuable room for my meat claws. Afterwards, I replaced the rivets with synthetic lined nuts, and bolts of the correct size.

Jim

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock