Started on: 04-12-2003 06:16 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: maryjane on 04-12-2003 06:54 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2003 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got my new outer door handles today and I pulled off the inner door skins and tried to look at how they come off and it seems pretty darn simple.

I just can't get to the nuts that hold the door handle on.

Are there any tricks that might help? Thanks.

------------------

Custom Console Subwoofer
K&N Filter in Edelbrock open air setup
Splitfire Wires
piston bore: 4.030

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2003 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Fairly easy with the right tools...

You need an 11mm socket on a swivel (or better yet a swivel socket!).

Pull off the door panel (duh!), and the rubber cap on the latch end. With a small flat blade screwdriver in hand, reach up into the cavity. Look down the hole uncovered by the end cap (you did put a trouble lamp in there already, right?). Flick up the latch on the plastic doohicky holding the rod to the handle. Now pull your hand out (you'll need it later) and get the socket on the swivel up in there. It only takes about 2 turns to run it all the way off.

Pull the handle out, and when the plastic latch doohicky gets to the edge, just wiggle it a bit to get it past the skin.

Replacement is more or less the above in reverse.

I just skinned and gutted both my doors. Cleaned every last bit of crud out of them, soaked the latches in solvent for an hour, etc and replaced my glass with new tinted stuff. Took about 6hrs for the first, and 2 for the second! Practice makes perfect!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2003 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The right tools--like bandaids for when you're tryin to twist your hand in & out around all the razor ssssssharp sheet metal.
On my 84, there was a nice little access hole under that paper stuff to get to one of the nuts. It ain't too bad, considering an old dufus like myself was able to do it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock