Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT by mitchjl22
Started on: 03-13-2012 06:54 PM
Replies: 223 (13807 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 05-17-2021 01:53 AM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hehe I had to.... 666 posts

EDIT: FINALLY MADE IT TO PAGE 4 Yehee this is the best day ever.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-12-2013).]

IP: Logged
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

First start TODAY!!! Wohoo! it sounded great, have to finish up the re install tomorrow!

First start, 666 posts AND top of page 4....Christmas comes early!
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

First start, 666 posts AND top of page 4....Christmas comes early!

Haha I KNOW right... I think I'm the happiest guy in the world right now.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a first start video, and some install pics... keep in mind the engine bay is very very messy, and nothing is installed yet.

I can't wait to drive it next week....
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Loud obnoxious belt noise

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Okay, everything is wired up and works, the problem is, the tensioner. The belt simply isn't tight enough. I got my tensioner at a junkyard for $11 and it came off of the supercharger side of another 3800. It has the square nub on the back that is supposed to prevent it from rotating, but the tensioner is rotated too loose, if i were to add some more material under the nub, it would effectively tighten the belt (So I believe). I'll try to get this squared away tomorrow, but so far everything is A+.

The throttle cable mounted right up, with a little widening of the slot.

Shift and select cables are back into position,

Slave is mounted, but needs bled

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed the belt squeal today, and i did so by using 1/4" steel as a shim for the tensioner. It seemed to work like a charm.

Now I'm just fighting with the slave. I assume its broken, and I ordered a RD part.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does it take to get into the construction zone these days? Is anyone watching my build?
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
Double...

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-22-2013).]

bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I check this thread very frequently! I love what your doing. I had heard that the 3800sc sounded bad, but that doesn't seem to be the case with yours. Sounds awesome!
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep it up mang! Looking great.

Merry Christmas to you and your Pops from me!
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! A little encouragement goes a long way! ^^^

I simply couldn't wait anymore, It was eating away at me inside, the suspense was too much to bear, I went over and installed rodney's slave, it took about 30 min, bleeding by myself with a syringe took about 10 minutes, the car was ready for me (almost). It literally has no exhaust, and its missing the post cat 02 sensor. I thought a quick jog around the block wouldn't do much, but make me extremely happy, so I moved my Jeep out of the driveway, started the beast, and pulled out, so far so good. I got about 100 meters down the street, a CEL came one, but no matter, I'm 100M from home. I turned left, and stomped it (on the main road).... I truly wasn't expecting the power from behind me, before I knew it, the tach was reading 6000, shift, stomped it again, the car swung out sideways, I let off. I stopped at a stop sign, proceeded left toward home and gave it another quick stomp before turning left into my neighborhood. Everything is still running smooth..... wait, no its missing, no power, all the gauges still read good, I have oil, electricity, coolant, fuel (5 gallons of 92 octane)... hmmmmm, maybe my fuel pressure regulator from the junkyard is bad.... maybe the ECM went into open/closed, I can never remember which, and started reading the sensor info.... anyway, no time to fuss with it now.... I parked it, and left for home.

Boy oh boy, I can't wait to have it FULLY completed...
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time I've popped in... Great job, Mitch. The only concern I'd have and it's probably nothing is the location of the coil pack. It seems to me that it might see some road abuse. Everything else looks great.

Bob
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that coil pack is probably going to get relocated, it's the lowest part of the whole car.... That's not going to fly...

Ps stock motor except plog, and stock tune

And thanks! Rcr

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-24-2013).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the car to Ammerman's Custom Exhaust in Garden City. They have nice people there. I got to take a look in the shop, and snap a couple pictures of what the new exhaust is going to look like.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for documentation, the car had 137,800 miles when it left the exhaust shop.

bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Freakin' sexyyyyy!! Sounds amazing. Is that an LED license plate light from TLG? Man your car has come a long way. What are you planning to do next? Keep up the good work.
Brian
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! That is not a tlg license plate. I got the bulbs from eBay for like 20 for $10. Next is paint. I'm going with yellow because Yellowstones car inspires me. I'm going to use hummer h3 competition yellow. I also need to finish up a few loose ends with the swap... I need to fix the dog bone, and figure out why my car starts missing under higher rpm load.

Thanks again Brian!
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you considered any exterior body mods? Side scoops, chin spoiler, hood/deck scoops ext... It certainly doesn't need any but If you were going to do it you'd definitely want to before you painted it yellow. I bought a chin spoiler for mine but haven't had time to mount it. Im thinking of keeping it gold but adding a bit more black accenting to it. Anyways just picking your brain.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I think I want a chin spoiler and some side scoops. I know I need to get the side scoops on if I am going to have the car painted, hopefully after I firgure out the engine bugs, that will be next on my to-do list.

Right now I'm having some pretty bad running issues.

When I got the car back from the exhaust shop, it ran good. I topped off the coolant, and drove it home. I did a few what i thought were "Hard Pulls" where I started at a stand still, and really romped it. The motor doesn't really need any "breaking in" since it was pulled from a 105,000 mile car. It pulled good, with consistent boost up to 6k rpm. After some pulls like that, I started getting mis-fires at WOT around 4k rpm. I thought initially, my Junkyard Fuel pressure regulator could be the culprit, but upon further investigation, the codes read High MAF and Low MAF, and engine Misfire on 2 coil packs.

I put the car up on the lift, and immediately found out why I was having misfires.

In order to prevent the wiring loom from rubbing on the belts, I stupidly pulled the loom tight against the supercharger, instead of routing that wiring on the firewall. This caused the loom to pull tight directly against the exposed end of the PLOG.
After cutting out the burned up sections of wires, re-soldering, heat shrinking, taping, and wrapping, the loom was routed and ZIP TIED to the firewall to prevent any further issues.

To address the MAF, I hooked up the scanner, and sure enough, the MAF was at 22,200hz (supposed to be between 2500-11,500) I ordered a new replacement from eBay. The new one was $40 and looked reasonable, with good feedback and good reviews. Upon further investigation my stumblings at WOT above 4k rpm could be one of many related issues.

1. The car needs new spark plugs (which i forgot to change out when the cradle was dropped. stupid I know)
  2. The car needs new plug wires
  3. The car needs a real intake tube, (Not a filter directly off the TB)
  4. The car needs the ECM reset
  5. The car needs tuned (Has the tune from FieroFlyer)
  6. The car needs a new MAF

I installed this new MAF, and started the car and took it for a test drive. Stumbling still, and this time a new code
P0171 Oxygen sensor lean bank 1 sensor 1

What this means to me, is not to replace the sensor, but to check for Vacuum leaks. So, I got out the ole smoke machine, and hooked it up to the line for the Boost Bypass valve on the Tree on top of the supercharger. I got a couple of pretty good leaks right off the bat.

1. The TPS was leaking (no gasket, easyish fix) - Fixed
  2. The vacuum tree was leaking (New O-Ring) - Fixed
  3. The Throttle body was leaking, (Pulled it off, and check mating surface, re-polished, and re-installed) - Fixed

Now, I ordered an new intake tube, an inline heater core adapter, and a new battery hold down (mine is shot).

Stay tuned for more interesting and annoying engine faults.

PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered one of these, thanks to a tip from MstangsBware

Ordered an intake tube, and I bought a new battery hold down.

Next is plugs and wires.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 01-17-2014).]

bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let us know if those purchases solve your issues. Those fried wires are pretty crazy/scary man! I'm glad your getting things sorted out. Also, I'd love to hear more of your opinion on the 3800sc once you get it running well.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmmm....

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Running a bit lean.... May want to take care of that...
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Running a bit lean.... May want to take care of that...

Are you referring to the size of the electrode? What exactly gives that indication? I think white is preignition right (pinging)?
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered a 3/4" NPT Tap, and bought a 3/4" Barbed copper fitting at lowes. Is this the right one?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_825...e%3D1&facetInfo=Barb

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you referring to the size of the electrode? What exactly gives that indication? I think white is preignition right (pinging)?

You are right, it could be preignition, or a lean condition. They can often have a similar effect on a spark plug. If you aren't getting a code for lean, then you are probably right that it is knocking.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neils88, you're right. the code was lean. Do you think it was because the plugs were bad, those don't look very good to me. They were the tapered kind to begin with, I replaced them with autolite 104s gapped to .055" . I also got my 3/4" npt tap today. That is what I read is the right size for the passage under the SC snout.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding work! I will say might offer to say you have patience and dilligence. I have been reading your post since the beginning
Cordially,
kevin
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Kevin!

Made some more small progress today,

New Battery Box

Also, got a 3/4" NPT tap, and tapped the LIM hole.
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Neils88, you're right. the code was lean. Do you think it was because the plugs were bad, those don't look very good to me. They were the tapered kind to begin with, I replaced them with autolite 104s gapped to .055" . I also got my 3/4" npt tap today. That is what I read is the right size for the passage under the SC snout.

Unlikely that the spark plugs caused the lean condition, usually just a symptom. Lean conditions can be a pain to track down. Often caused by vacuum leaks, dirty sensors, faulty or stuck PCV valves, faulty oxygen sensors, faulty or plugged fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, dirty fuel filters, exhaust leaks before O2 sensor.

You've already changed the plugs, so the easiest place to start would be to do a check for vacuum leaks, change the fuel filter if it's old and use a bottle of injector cleaner to start with, then see if the code comes back.

EDIT: Just scanned up a bit in the posts to refresh myself on where you were...I see you mentioned vacuum leaks and a maybe needing a new MAF...good chance you've already solved whatever was causing the lean condition

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 01-30-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photoshop for fun!

I'm looking at getting Zeus painted in a couple of months, here are some schemes I've been looking at.
I'm a sucker for silver rims....

zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, what a great build. Don't know why Cliff hasn't moved this to the construction zone yet... I just found this thread and am really impressed. I think you're really going to have a gem once your done. Continue the good work. I am now subscribed so I can follow your progress.

------------------
My Fiero...

88 Yellow CJB #182 of 1252 formula

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Someday I hope I get there, (the cz that is) I'm really excited about paint. The old faded gold does really doesn't do the car justice. People always look inside and say, wow this is nice, but of course I don't get any comments on the exterior. Nobody gets to see the engine either, which is a big bulk of the money in the car. I like going to car shows, because I like showing my work off, people outside of the fiero crowd don't give my car a chance because of the exterior it seems.
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the total black out....But I think the mesh wheels will pop more with a silver/chrome lip.
Just my two cents..
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestion, here's roughly what it would look like, Notice the lip reflection is silver still...

The best thing about plastidip, is I can get them in chrome, and paint them black, when I get tired of it, off it comes, and I have chrome wheels again!

-Mitch

Edit: Forgot image

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 02-06-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
All my questions have been answered! I drove my car today with new MAF and O2 as well as new intake tube and spark plugs fixed all my running problems! I drove the car today and it was nothing short of great! Can't wait to slap on that new 3.5 mod pulley.

Scanner showed everything running great, and 0, ZERO Kr.

-Mitch
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I've made a choice to not like you. Lol cause I was all about a V8 and after reading this I'm starting to like this much better. Great job on what is turning out to be an awesome car. Keep the post coming.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

So I've made a choice to not like you. Lol cause I was all about a V8 and after reading this I'm starting to like this much better. Great job on what is turning out to be an awesome car. Keep the post coming.

Thanks! I got a new tranny this last week, I'll be cleaning it up for the install in the next few weeks. Progress is going to slow down a little since I just got a new job. I'm not done yet! I can't wait to get him painted!

-Mitch
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock