Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New problems, new solutions - Building a Frankenstein's '85 (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New problems, new solutions - Building a Frankenstein's '85 by Boostdreamer
Started on: 02-09-2012 11:23 PM
Replies: 224 (10535 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 05-12-2014 09:42 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I caught a guy changing a Ferrari kit from one car to another a few blocks from my house. All I really wanted was a driver's fender but I got that, left and right quarter panels, an aero nose, the eggcrate, and a front license plate holder. All for $30! How's that for a score!

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 11-27-2013).]

IP: Logged
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHAT WHAT WHAT !!!!???????
What else does he have??
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

WHAT WHAT WHAT !!!!???????
What else does he have??

Nothing. I sent you a text message to see if you wanted anything. He's crushing it today. Sorry.

Jonathan

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
never got that txt, i've been looking thru my history..

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 09-27-2012).]

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wouldn't happen to have any stereos sitting around from the fieros or ac/delco that you'd part with?
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

wouldn't happen to have any stereos sitting around from the fieros or ac/delco that you'd part with?

Can we do a swap? I give you origional radios and you add an aux input to my Monsoon.

Jonathan

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Can we do a swap? I give you origional radios and you add an aux input to my Monsoon.

Jonathan

Send me a pic of it, I'll let you know i can do it or not.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the way, my build is officially on hold. Broke my collar bone in a bicycle wreck. Gonna require surgery.

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

By the way, my build is officially on hold. Broke my collar bone in a bicycle wreck. Gonna require surgery.

Jonathan

Dang man, why did you wreck, you know I could have just broke it for you and saved you the trouble. jeez.

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 09-28-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to test the shock absorbing ability of my front fork. Aparently, an upgrade is in order.

J
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had to test the shock absorbing ability of my front fork. Aparently, an upgrade is in order.

J

you mean trans-parently
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold my motorcycle today.

Watch and see what happens tomorrow!

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bye-bye motorcycle, hello new Fiero!

Fifth Fiero for me, first GT and fastback!

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
uh, uh, uh, ooooooooohhhh, I see the problem. It's an automatic, pfffffffffffsss.

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

uh, uh, uh, ooooooooohhhh, I see the problem. It's an automatic, pfffffffffffsss.

Pictures don't do this car justice. This thing is a fricking time capsule! I can't wait til you see it. You're gonna flip out! I've only had two brand new cars and three brand new motorcycles and this thing looks as good as any of them. It is definately the best looking Fiero I've ever actually seen in person. Now I gotta get insurance on it so I can enjoy it!

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the cruise control yesterday. IT WORKS!! Another Fiero First for me!!

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next step is to get a manual and then yor steps will be complete yong padawan.

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Next step is to get a manual and then yor steps will be complete yong padawan.

Not for this one! This one MIGHT get some body mods such as a reverse chop, ground effects delete, Formula nose, and hood vents but that's the extent of possible plans. Unless something mechanical fails, I'll keep the drivetrain stock. It has too much life left in it to pull it out prematurely.

Besides, I have more than enough on my plate with the '85! Who knows when it will get done and I have to finish it BEFORE I do anything to the GT.

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found some diamond plate patterned rubber material and I made floor mats. What do you think?

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found some diamond plate patterned rubber material and I made floor mats. What do you think?

Jonathan

You need some edging around the sides of it.

------------------

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CrazyDragn

1400 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Jonathan

You need some edging around the sides of it.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is some kind of foam-rubbery shop floor matt material. It won't unravel. I cut it with an X-acto so the edges are pretty clean.

Besides, these are just a cheap answer to saving my carpet and factory matts. I'll have to see how they'll hold up. If they do, maybe I'll offer them to the membership. Jason, if you want a pair to use through the winter and spring to keep mud and water off your carpet, I'll give you a pair for your evaluation. I'd be interested in your evaluation because I know yours is a daily driver. You could keep them for winter use, or use between shows when it won't matter if they match your interior. Or you could test them and then pass them on to someone with a gray interior. Let me know if you're interested.

Jonathan
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT looks nice. I like your floor mats too.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

The GT looks nice. I like your floor mats too.

THANKS!!

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that my collar bone is knitted back together I'd like to do something about my ever-widening mid section. I have been back on a bike a few times since this happened. I got new parts for mine for Christmas and it is ready to go. I also borrowed one and went riding at Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.

That has not been enough to keep the lb's off, though. I'm up to 175 now. My goal is somewhere south of 165. I'm going to try to do a pound a week. I'm only going to check my weight once a week and make adjustments to my workout accordingly.

Last week, I rode my stationary bike 20 minutes each day for 6 days and I took Sunday "off". My weight actually went UP half a pound!

Today, I increased the ride to 45 minutes and I'll try to do that every day. I cut the intensity down so it really wasn't very hard. Besides, I've heard that when wanting to burn fat, you don't want to be going all out. I figure I'll burn about 600 calories per day. That would burn 3600 for the week which is one hundred more than I need to burn a pound. Hopefully, I won't be replacing those calories with extra food! I'm not going to count my food intake calories at this point. Gonna see what exercise alone will do while trying to maintain my "normal" eating.

Rather than start a new thread or add new posts on this subject, I'm going to edit this post weekly with my results.

Jonathan

Start:
Begining of Week 1: 175 lbs
Rode stationary bike 6 days for 20 minutes each.

Begin Week 2: 175.5 lbs
Decreased workout intensity and increased workout time to 45 minutes.

Week 3: 175.2 lbs. Net loss of 0.3 lbs. Checked my weight on Sunday to see if it was down so I could take the day off. It was. 173.8 lbs. No cycling Sunday!

Week 4: 174.6 lbs. Net loss of 0.6 lbs. Kind of a big jump from yesterday but these bathroom scales aren't the most accurate anyway. Just so long as they are inaccurate while showing a decrease in weight!

Week 5: 174.8 lbs No loss. Gain of 0.2 lbs. Disappointed. Making some changes. I'm splitting my workouts into two sessions. Some stretching and trunk twists then 30 minutes on the bike. I'll prolly do them at 7am and 5:15pm. That will give me an extra 15 minutes of exercise and it might help spread the effects more evenly throughout the day. I'm also adding whole grain to my daily diet. Oatmeal, Raisin Bran, or granola bar for breakfast.

Week 6: 172.6 lbs on Sunday. I finally broke 173! I may have found the formula. I'll go a couple more weeks to see if my net losses continue. As to fitness, these 30 minute rides are pretty easy to get through. I don't dread them and they seem to be over quickly. My legs feel harder. My face may be slimmer. My torso "might" be looking better. I don't want to say just yet beause I may be giving myself a break because I'm happy about the numbers.

Week 7: My workouts got sidelined by sickness and mechanical problems with the GT. The car was out of commission for a few days because of leaky brake calipers. That caused me to miss my morning workouts because I had to drive my wife to work in order to keep her car. I didn't really feel like working out anyway because I was sick. My weight did go back up. It was 175.8. Who gains weight when they're sick?!! That's crazy!! That's when I decided that I wasn't going to drink any more flavored drinks. It is all water until my weight gets back where I want it. Working out obviously didn't do a whole lot for weight loss. I'll make changes to my diet and see how that goes. If the water doesn't make a dent, I'll cut out dairy. Then I'll cut out sweets. We'll see how far this has to go.

I've lost my place with the weeks. I've not been working out at all for about 2 weeks. I am still on the water only, no flavored drinks plan. It is working better than any workout so far. I was at 171 yesterday. That's a drop of 4 pounds in about 2 weeks without working out. I think I'll stick with this for a while!!

4/28/13 -
I started the 5-2 diet a few weeks ago. I highly recommend it. The way it works is you eat normally for 5 days of the week and on the other 2, you only take in 500-600 calories. So, for my low cal days I eat two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, I have a diet Coke for lunch, and for supper I have a Caesar salad with just a little dressing and a can of tuna on it. I get a half peanutbutter sandwich for desert. My low cal days are Monday and Wednesday. That allows me to enjoy my weekends and we don't have to cook on the nights that the boys go to their dad's. Plus, it is easy to get through the low cal days because we know that we can have anything we want the next day.

After my third week on this plan, with NO EXERCISE, I lost 6 pounds! I weighed before I started this and then again on the morning of last Thursday . I was down to 168.8. That's the lowest I've been in a year. That is without any exercise program! We did take our bicycles out on two days but that was for fun, not as a "weight loss workout".

6/7/13 I was at my lowest weight in several years at my last weigh in. 163.8! My original goal was to get to 165 but that's not going to be enough. Gotta lose some more. I don't know how much more because I don't know how much room a pound of fat takes up. All I know is that I still have more around my middle than I want. I can still pinch more than an inch of skinfold on belly and my back. I did start lifting weights a little. I'm doing one muscle group per workout and not doing workouts every day. Mostly just when I feel like it but I do it right before bedtime so I can rest immediately after. I'm still on the 5-2 diet and it's still working. Gonna stick with it until I get where I want to be and then I can go to 6-1 or whatever it takes to maintain.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-07-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't been doing anything with the '85 lately. I've been working on the GT. I had to replace the rear brake calipers:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127129.html

And I had a big leak at the base of my distributor so I had to rebuild it. I got my o-ring and gasket at the Chevy dealer.

GM part # 10477565, description "seal", $1.96 each.
GM Part # 10108445 , distributor gasket

I got my pick-up coil at O'Reilly.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/...&keyword=pickup+coil

I figured as long as I'm doing that, I should prolly change the spark plugs. Got them at Advance.

AC Delco R42TS

Got it all together and did a warm-up drive and everything felt normal. Got home and put the timing light on it to fine-tune the timing. Went for another test drive and the car is much improved. Now I don't feel like I need to do this:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127084.html

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-25-2013).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to take a ride in it
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I never re-posted this photoshop here. This is actually the combination of two done by 85SEnochie. He put the 68-69 GTO nose on and modified the headlight doors to add the LEDs. I'd like to add these features to my car some day.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's another mod he photoshoped for me. I would like to do this also. I may put my GT's makeover ahead of my '85!

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I might as well add the one he did with my paint scheme!

Now I need to ask him if he'd combine all three of these into one.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is all three combined. Suddenly I don't need a GT40 kit!

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the pick, so when are we going to get started on it?

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the pick, so when are we going to get started on it?

Well, my current project is building cabinets in the garage. Almost done with the first one. It is for my wheels and tires. The next one will be for hoods, trunk lids, and cradles. The Mrs has laid down the law that I don't get to drag my GT project out. I have to be ready to jump in and do it all at once, paint and all. Minimal down time only.

I guess I could swap a notchback clip on while I modify the GT clip. I could also create the nose on one of my parts cars, too. I'll need to find some GT sail windows to modify. Mine are too nice and original to cut. I'd rather sell them to someone who needs a nice pair.

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, my current project is building cabinets in the garage. Almost done with the first one. It is for my wheels and tires. The next one will be for hoods, trunk lids, and cradles. The Mrs has laid down the law that I don't get to drag my GT project out. I have to be ready to jump in and do it all at once, paint and all. Minimal down time only.

I guess I could swap a notchback clip on while I modify the GT clip. I could also create the nose on one of my parts cars, too. I'll need to find some GT sail windows to modify. Mine are too nice and original to cut. I'd rather sell them to someone who needs a nice pair.

Jonathan

KAHINES usually has a set on ebay for sale, he also has some on KAHINES.com, for that is where i got mine!

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a Grand Prix automatic shifter knob on my GT. This is a stock shifter knob, stock height Fiero shifter stalk, and stock shifter boot. I don't think I need to go to the trouble of making it shorter, do you? The knob had a plastic part at the bottom and I pulled it off. I think it was there to create a gap for the boot to be captured in. I installed it under the boot but it's not really doing anything.

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, I need me a new shifter guard for my 5 speed

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My left headlight suddenly quit going up. The light was on and I could manually raise it. When I turned the lights off, the motor would lower the headlight. I changed the little relay thingy and now it's working again! That was easy! It was just laying down loose when I found it. The bracket part had broken off at some point. It was supposed to be positioned so that the wires all entered from the bottom. I believe that since it was not upright, moisture was able to get in and killed the relay. I used a zip-tie to re-attach it to where it is supposed to be.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you know I'm a Grandpa? I've decided I want to be called Pops!

------------------
Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-09-2015).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you know I'm a Grandpa? I've decided I want to be called Pops!

Hey CONGRATS MAN!! Did you know I'm a grandpa too, I'm called Poppa

------------------

After Market Steering Wheel Conversion

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! I saw that! Congrats also!

------------------
Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-09-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors