Started on: 11-02-2005 08:21 PM
Replies: 445 (57627 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 05-15-2018 02:37 PM
Golden86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this is the first of many posts on my engine swap. The first few posts will be alittle slow because I am still collecting parts. In a month or so, it should pick up pretty well.

Here are just a few picks of the engine and my car that it's goin into.

This engine is out of a 99 Regal, I bought it for $50. The reason is that the guy thinks it spun a rod bearing. A new crank, rod, and bearings, it should be good to go.

This is the patient, my 86 GT

I will also be installing an Archie Big Brake kit over the winter as well, it should show up in this thread.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 11-03-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's goanna be way sweet. Nice Fiero Dude. Awesome score on the engine too

------------------

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, Im pre planning my L67 swap too.
And man, I love that color on your car.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Lookin forward to another build thread, esp. those big brakes, as that is one my next big projects......

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Golden86:

This is the patiant, my 86 GT

Hey Mike, what's a patiant? Is that like a patient or? I didn't go to York so i don't know.
When you're done i'll take a cherry smoothy please.
Sorry man but I have to make up for all the time ive been away and not able to make fun of you in person.

------------------

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha, and I've got your clutch!

Man, I'm doing big brakes on the 88 this winter too.

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
86 GT: Stock 4 speed
86 SE: 3.4 DOHC 4 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered a GTP dogbone bracket/pulley to replace the one I have. I also ordered an AC compressor bracket. And I should have my PR low mount alternator/dogbone bracket come in soon aswell. It's slowly comming together.

ALL I NEED NOW IS MY MOUNTS.... SEAN !

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL... If you're buying the parts for it from fiero vendors, be prepared to wait. Speaking from first hand experience,
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

LOL... If you're buying the parts for it from fiero vendors, be prepared to wait. Speaking from first hand experience,

I bought the gtp bracket, and AC bracket from a guy on the GTP forum.

I know I will be waiting for them for a long time, thats why I asked sean for them 5 months ago, I should be getting them soon.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smart man,
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting paint color. What is it?
PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

Interesting paint color. What is it?

It's a one off custom mix.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... this night has been a little interesting. I started to take apart the 3800 for cleaning, and painting.

This is what I saw when I pulled the supercharger off, kinda weird huh. There was a bunch of metal in the intake, where could it have come from...

So I check the supercharger, the walls are scratched, but no big chuncks of metal. It cant be from the supercharger?

The blades are missing almost all of their cermic coating

So now I pulled off the valve covers, and this is what I see, a broken valve spring.

So broken valve springs usually mean bent pushrods, and here they are

Now for the crown jewel, the cherry on top... This is SUPPOSED to have a blown rod. The rod is not the problem in this next picture.

Now I know where that metal came from in the intake
I have NEVER seen a piston like that EXPLODE into nothingness. There is no p[iston to be found.

I bought this engine forom one of my dads mechanic friends, and he is going to give my money back, so thats not a problem. Buy HOLY CRAP, the guy DROVE his car into his shop to have this engine replaced... HE DROVE IT!

Thats how my night has been going. I am back to square one now, I need to find a new engine.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 11-14-2005).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks man! It shouldnt be too hard to find a new engine.

I know 3800's had some issues with burning through pistions but I'll bet thats not your problem. I'll bet the valve stuck open and when the piston hit it it exploded, broke the valve spring and bent the pushrod! What a mess.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 11-06-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it won't be that hard to find an engine, they are EVERYWHERE.

Does anybody know if the supercharger is still ok, even with those scratches?

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know it won't be that hard to find an engine, they are EVERYWHERE.

Does anybody know if the supercharger is still ok, even with those scratches?

I would say probably not, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that blower is fine. How deep are those scratches? Can you hook a finger nail in em?
Mine went from this http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/202/p1010080copy3yh.jpg
to this http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7701/p1010081copy6ll.jpg

Although in this pic you can see all my rotors still have the coating on them http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9646/p1010078copy9gl.jpg

[This message has been edited by NorthFloridaFiero (edited 11-07-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NorthFloridaFiero:

I think that blower is fine. How deep are those scratches? Can you hook a finger nail in em?
Mine went from this http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/202/p1010080copy3yh.jpg
to this http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7701/p1010081copy6ll.jpg

Although in this pic you can see all my rotors still have the coating on them http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9646/p1010078copy9gl.jpg

Yeah, I can catch my nail on them, so I guess it's not ok. I didn't really know what those dark splotches on the rotors where, I guess it supposed to cover the entire thing. Is that the teflon coating?

It's really not that big of a deal that this engine didn't work out, I can find another one. The one junk yard by me has 19 3800sc series II engines, one of them HAS to be decent.

fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So now I pulled off the valve covers, and this is waht I see, a broken valve spring.

Hmm.... looks like you're missing some valves.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy cow. And you said this guy drove this thing Anyway I don't know if you could get it bored over or not but that is bad I would check to see if the supercharger is atleast good, I know the TB is. If the car drove grab the ignition coils and modual A good supercharger, Throttle body and ignition modual and coils cost a bit of money. Certainly more then $50bucks.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 11-07-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

Hmm.... looks like you're missing some valves.

No, atually the valve is stil in there, just hanging from the valve seal.

PFF
System Bot
theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geeze that sucks On my old 2.8 it blew a rod and the piston shattered like that. I only found like half of it lol, the biggest piece left of it was like an inch square. It totally shattered Blew a hole in the side of the block too haha

------------------

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
holy cow dude. let me know about these motors you find for 50 bucks. I could use a couple to build up one.
And ya, thats the teflon coating.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the only update I have for now, I just recievd my ECM out of a 95 Bonneville ssei. I also recieved my low mount alternator bracket, and Adjustable dogbone. And last but not least I have my GTP pullie bracket with a pullie, but I still need the tensienor. The other braqcket is the AC mount.

Now all I need is an engine to put all this stuff on
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just sent out the money order for another 99 Regal engine with 51000 miles on it. I also purchased a Wiring harness and a tensioner for my GTP bracket. It should all be here some time next week. Hopefully this one has ALL of the pistons.

I'm still waiting on the mounts though. Sean, you out there?

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 11-16-2005).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That must be more common than I thought as I have a 97 Riviera 3800SC in my garage that exploded a piston like that. It is also not rebuildable so I am using it for building harnesses and mounts on.

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about the engine. Man, that sucks!
While you are waiting for a new engine, you can check out Rborecky's thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/049118.html

Also, check with Loyde, at Fast Fieros. http://fastfieros.com/index.htm

A wealth of information there for you. And they are more than happy to help you in any way they can.

Don Z.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052322.html#lastpost
My rear defuser

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rborecky mentioned a guy named Ed in his build thread, that is the guy I just bought my new engine and parts from. He is a great guy to deal with, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Thanks for the info, I think I know for the most part what to expect. I have studied that thread very well in the past.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 11-16-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Golden86

1191 posts
Member since Jan 2004
Question...

Who knows what fuel pump I need? I know I need one from a Turbo TA, but what is the part number? Thanks.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2005 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a fuel pump from an '87 Corvette on mine.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2005 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine #2 is here!

It is out of a 99 Regal with 51,000 miles on it, and very clean.

Oh, look, all the pistons are there too!

Here is the fun part, I also got the harness in today.

I now have it totaly disassembled, and its waiting for its zzp xp cam, Pector ported heads(105# springs and oversized valves), and zzp full size intercooler. not to mention other small stuff like roller timing set, comp OE-R lifters, and intense lightweight pushrods.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 12-01-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got in a few parts
The first are Ported and polished exhaust manifolds

Next are the Comp Cams OE-R lifters

Intense lightweight pushrods

And last, a single roller timing set to handle those 105# springs

Hopefully if I can get a few days off of work, I will go and visit a few friends up in Michigan and also pick up my Spec Stage 3 cutch.

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there, I live in des plaines and also have a 3800SC II Getrag fiero. Let me know if you have any questions. More importantly......DONT get the Spec Stage 3 clutch. I have it and with the power I make, about the same as yours less the intercooler, mine slips in fourth at full throttle. I started with a new flywheel, new clutch, bled properly, new bushings and shifter arm inside my getrag, installed surgically cleaned no residue on the flywheel. Slips in forth after proper breakin. I love the way the clutch feels, but I would talk to Loyde at www.fastfieros.com. Both of us would recommend gotting the cindered iron clutch he typically installs on his buildups. In spring i'm ripping mine out to replace it. Joy. Call Loyde seriously. 972-880-6643 I thought Spec was the faschizzle but................Oh yeah forgot to give you my phone number cell 847-627-0037 Patrick.

------------------

Patrick Szewczyk
1987 Fiero GT 3800SCII, Getrag, Loyde of Fastfiero's pcm-low alt mount-tstat-prj fuel rails wiring harness, w/ 3.25 pulley, LS1 TB, total-seal rings, VS cam, P-M-P heads & intake, Performance3800 3" headers, stainless 3" exhaust+flowmaster, intercooler & water injection -soon, Spec Stage 3 clutch, Koni's, Rear coilovers, Held anti-bumpsteer kit, lowered 1.5" -CNC Street Dreams dropped spindles, poly bushings = everything, Bill Levin's lowering drivetrain mounts, rear sway bar, pioneer cd player, Dickman's short shifter, bushings, etc..., 12" Vette rotors & calipers- w/Ebrake, 17" MiM Venezias wheels + 225/45/17 & 235/40/17's.

[This message has been edited by VISCERAL (edited 12-03-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up and all, but I already ordered it. I also have a buddy with a 3.4 TDC with a stage 2, and he BEATS THE LIVING CRAP OUT IT! He has not slipped his clutch once. I have faith in the stage 3. The only problem I heard about spec was that there TB was a little iffy, so I will use a GM one.

I have also been talking to Darth, and he has all the info I need. I have also been to his shop, and he is going to burn my chip.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My heads and cam came in. The heads are ported and polished by a guy on the ClubGP forum. They have 105# springs, modded titainium retainers, and titanium locks, and Viton seals. They also have oversize valves in them aswell, they're HUGE! They where used for about a 1000 miles, so I got a great deal on them

I also have my cam. It is a custom comp cams grind (sorry they don't line up)
Specs for cam: intake Exhaust
Duration: 230 240 @.05
Lift: .531 .532 w/1.6 Rockers
Lobe Seperation: 114

Now all I have to buy is the IC, and the mounts.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2005 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My heads and cam came in. The heads are ported and polished by a guy on the ClubGP forum. They have 105# springs, modded titainium retainers, and titanium locks, and Viton seals. They also have oversize valves in them aswell, they're HUGE! They where used for about a 1000 miles, so I got a great deal on them

I also have my cam. It is a custom comp cams grind (sorry they don't line up)
Specs for cam: intake Exhaust
Duration: 230 240 @.05
Lift: .531 .532 w/1.6 Rockers
Lobe Seperation: 114

Now all I have to buy is the IC, and the mounts.

If you get a chance can you snap a pic of the installed retainers, Im curious to what these will look like installed.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2005 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to add heads to my set up but didnt have the extra money to spend on them at the time. Will be saving over the next year to get a set of ZZP Stage 3 heads to add to my current motor that is going in this week.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2005 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you get a chance can you snap a pic of the installed retainers, Im curious to what these will look like installed.

Here are a few pics of the springs and such

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 12-13-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Golden86

1191 posts
Member since Jan 2004
This next post, wont be exactly 3800 related, but has to do with my Fiero. I found some lugage that matched my paint almost EXACTLY! It even has a color changing fabric, the same shades as my car. Stupid thing to post, but I think it's pretty cool.

I also recieved my new rims, they are 18x7.5 and weigh just under 18lbs, thats light for an 18" rim.

I have these on there now, and they will be for sale soon, only 4 months on them.

And these are the rims I used to have (old pic, when my car was still gold)

WOW, I have been through a crap load of wheels.

I obviously like a certain style of rim, most people would say, why bother buying different wheels, they all look the same.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 12-13-2005).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are a few pics of the springs and such

Thanks for the pics + to you, Im ordering a xp- hot cam and it recommends I install the 105# springs and these retainers, Looking at the pic I won't have to remove the heads to install.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 12-14-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock