FWD HM282 - With Rodney’s conversion kit by Backtothe80s
Started on: 05-06-2020 09:15 PM
Replies: 19 (753 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-22-2020 04:32 PM
Backtothe80s

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Backtothe80sSend a Private Message to Backtothe80sEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,

So I decided to go with the FWD HM282(my original Getrag was tired and very few people in Canada know about them and the parts were getting up there to rebuild) and swapped bell housings from the original Fiero Getrag. I also swapped the speedo gear, shimed the diff with the GM shim tool and GM shims, cut the reverse shift rod so the case would close and reassembled. All good to this point. I installed Rodney’s FWD conversion kit so I could hook up the factory cables. Lined up the shifter assembly tightened everything down and I get every gear but first?

I went to Rodney’s web site and it looks like there is now an update on this part to work with this transmission but no diagram showing where to make the mods. Working single handed makes things difficult at best to see what it’s actually binding on and I don’t want to mess this up.

I’m wondering if anyone has done this and knows how or where the mod has to be done with pictures. It would be a great help and would be nice to finally start driving her again after 13 months of hard work. Thanking you in advance.

[This message has been edited by Backtothe80s (edited 05-06-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2020 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Backtothe80s:

... cut the reverse shift rod so the case would close and reassembled.

I have NEVER heard of this being done.

I had the Fiero bellhousing swapped to a V6 FWD Getrag.
The shop didn't mention having to do any modification.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-07-2020).]

Backtothe80s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2020 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Backtothe80sSend a Private Message to Backtothe80sEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Fiero Sound,

I went with the brand new Getrag on eBay from a quad 4 and swapped bell housings(not easy as it sounds as mods had to be made to the internals) I happen to have a spare FWD from a possible 80’s cavalier that was in the front passenger floor when I bought the car. Unfortunately, not knowing the history I went brand new. As a side note I don’t recommend to anyone to use this transmission due to the fact of all the time and work involved. If I did it again I would go with another tranny setup or rebuild the one I took out. Rodney happens to sell a shifter cable adaptor for the FWD conversion and to work on the quad 4 he now mentions that a mod has to be done but I’m not exactly sure how or where? Hopefully someone can guide me. I tried reaching out to Rodney and I hope he’s doing ok, but I haven’t heard back yet and I’m trying to get this project back on the road. Thanks
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aha! - so it's a Quad-4 FWD Getrag you're using with swapped bellhousing...

quad 4 getrag conversion tips by ytzman

"just thought I'd put this out there for those about to do a quad 4 getrag swap since you can get them "brand new" off ebay for cheap.

tip one:
cut approximately 1/2 inch off the reverse shift shaft - it took me a while to figure out why it kept locking into reverse every time I bolted the case together.

tip two:
If you are using Rodney's FWD conversion kit, you may have to clearance the bracket where it's close to the shift arm.
The shift arm just catches it by a 1/8" and prevents you from getting 1st and 2nd gear.
Not to say Rodney's kit isn't good, it works perfect on a V6 FWD tranny."

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-095259.html
From www.rodneydickman.com

Has anyone modified the bracket?? Picture?

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-09-2020).]

Backtothe80s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Backtothe80sSend a Private Message to Backtothe80sEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Fierosound for taking the time to locate this original post. I wish I would have seen this before I started this project. Although never too late as this makes sense now. I went out to the car and recorded the movement and I see where this is now making contact as stated in the above posting. Ok tomorrow’s project. Fingers crossed I get her back on the road this weekend. I’ll post how it worked out and will take photos as well to help future owners. Thanks a million!
Backtothe80s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2020 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Backtothe80sSend a Private Message to Backtothe80sEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shout out to Fierosound. Thank you.

I went into and read ytzman’s posting to try and make sense of what had to be done to get the HM282 FWD off eBay to shift into all gears. Rodney has an update on this part on his web site stating you may have too make a mod to this part for this transmission or you may not get 5th & reverse but my issue was not getting 1st gear and had all others. So this through me off. Not sure if this modification fixes multiple issues? But here is what I did.

I took a look at the FWD conversion purchased from Rodney and how it was possibly making contact with the shift rod bushing, once I could see the issue I etched the paint on the bracket with a drill bit around the collar(By the way amazing products from Rodney and a huge shout out to him for making these amazing products - I have bought a lot over the years and I’m never disappointed!).

I then removed the FWD conversion kit along with the shift cables. Took my bench grinder and followed my etched line to remove the excess material(I removed more than 1/8). Repainted and reinstalled kit

I then aligned the shifter with a drill bit and attached the cables.

Tested it and I have 1-5 and reverse!

I attached pictures for anyone willing to attempt this transmission in the future.

Before you do make sure you have all the proper tools before taking apart and make sure you measure your original reverse shift rod with a straight edge along the case and measure the new one and cut and the same as the old one. Bolt the case back together with anaerobic sealer to proper torque and make sure the shift detents are in correct location and transmission is in neutral and secure detent block. Seal the hockey puck back in place and tranny is done and ready for install. Good luck! It took many attempts for me to get the right.

See pictures for Rodney’s FWD kit with the small mod that needed to be done to get all gears.

[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/B acktothe80s/6BF651F3-940F-4BB2-844A-DC826B29C4C9.jpeg[/img][img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Backtothe80s/777F6CA7-9C7D-4C65-8058-7E8A2A507A BE.jpeg[/img]
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2020 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear it's fixed and working!

Fixed: See pictures for Rodney’s FWD kit with the small mod that needed to be done to get all gears.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-11-2020).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Take the round part pictured here and weld the slotted washer to the top of it... then use the stock shift linkage and don't worry about Rodney's parts.
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem on my Quad Getrag, but I was using Fiero V6 Getrag brackets.

I also welded a piece of metal down the side of the trimmed bracket to give it a little more strength.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are these NOS 282s on eBAY?

EDIT - Nevermind found them

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-17-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Where are these NOS 282s on eBAY?

EDIT - Nevermind found them

For others (but these have the QUAD4 bellhousing)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW...-4-2-4L/362809755629

Also see:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000038.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-17-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacing the bellhousing looks non-trivial. As in you have to crack that case and do a bunch of internal stuff?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Replacing the bellhousing looks non-trivial. As in you have to crack that case and do a bunch of internal stuff?

Not a BUNCH of stuff - unless you're looking at mixing gear sets.
And no more work than if someone was doing a rebuild of their original anyway.
But you'd still have a new and stronger Getrag.

Fierobsessed seems to be extremely familiar with the Getrags.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-2-057784.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-064025.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-1-049976.html

But I haven't seen a step-by-step "Quad 4 Getrag bellhousing swap" writeup.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-18-2020).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Not a BUNCH of stuff - unless you're looking at mixing gear sets.
And no more work than if someone was doing a rebuild of their original anyway.
But you'd still have a new and stronger Getrag.

(snip)

But I haven't seen a step-by-step "Quad 4 Getrag bellhousing swap" writeup.

Rebuilding a Getrag is far beyond my skill set but "bellhousing swap" sounds easier. But if it involves cracking the case I'm out. That would have to be done by somebody else, so at that point it's a toss up between the rebuild versus bellhousing swap. But from what I understand rebuild parts for the 282 are nearly extinct. So there's that.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-18-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rebuilding a Getrag is far beyond my skill set but "bellhousing swap" sounds easier. But if it involves cracking the case I'm out. That would have to be done by somebody else, so at that point it's a toss up between the rebuild versus bellhousing swap. But from what I understand rebuild parts for the 282 are nearly extinct. So there's that.

Same here. I had a new FWD Getrag (not Quad4) for my Indy but still wanted a bellhousing swap so it looked like a Fiero original.
Clutch arm would be outside of case, no adapter for slave needed, and only required Rodney's shifter brackets on top of the shift shaft.

I took the bellhousing off my old Fiero Getrag and took it with the new transmission to a shop. Trans already had correct gear to drive speedo unit.
They did the bellhousing swap and made sure the differential bearings clearances were right etc.
Charged 2 hours labor.

IF you can find the parts for a rebuild kit, you'll have that cost + the cost of a shop rebuild. Still ends up the same, if not more (more disassembly time).

Rebuild parts? https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143818.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-19-2020).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Same here. I had a new FWD Getrag (not Quad4) for my Indy but still wanted a bellhousing swap so it looked like a Fiero original.
Clutch arm would be outside of case, no adapter for slave needed, and only required Rodney's shifter brackets on top of the shift shaft.

I took the bellhousing off my old Fiero Getrag and took it with the new transmission to a shop. Trans already had correct gear to drive speedo unit.
They did the bellhousing swap and made sure the differential bearings clearances were right etc.
Charged 2 hours labor.

IF you can find the parts for a rebuild kit, you'll have that cost + the cost of a shop rebuild. Still ends up the same, if not more (more disassembly time).

Rebuild parts? https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143818.html

Since you understand this far better than me, just so I understand. If I carry my beat up old Fiero Getrag + a new quad 4 Getrag into a shop they should be able to marry the two for a couple of hours of labor? And would I need Rodney's parts to make it work still? What would be different in the end?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since you understand this far better than me, just so I understand.
If I carry my beat up old Fiero Getrag + a new quad 4 Getrag into a shop they should be able to marry the two for a couple of hours of labor?
And would I need Rodney's parts to make it work still? What would be different in the end?

This is essentially what the original poster of this thread Backtothe80s did himself.
The reverse shift rod needs to be shortened on Quad4 Getrags.
He knows more than I do (I had a transmission shop swap the bellhousing and mine was a FWD Getrag).

So I decided to go with the FWD HM282 (my original Getrag was tired and very few people in Canada know about them and the parts were getting up there to rebuild) and swapped bell housings from the original Fiero Getrag. I also swapped the speedo gear, shimed the diff with the GM shim tool and GM shims, cut the reverse shift rod so the case would close and reassembled. All good to this point. I installed Rodney’s FWD conversion kit so I could hook up the factory cables.

Everything depends on your transmission shop. Ask them.
They may charge an hour just to take the old one apart, then 2-3 to do the swap to the new one.
If they don't know what they're doing it could take longer, or they could give up and give you back a box full of disassembled parts "no charge".

I separated my old Getrag case myself, so I only carried the Fiero's bellhousing in with the new FWD Getrag transmission.
I think my guy knew what he was doing and maybe had shortcuts on swapping it over. He did it in 2 hours.

My transmission had the correct speedo gear in it - you take out the VVS and look in the trans to see if they're the same.
Dickman has correct speedo gear if you need a new one. http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=330

Once I had the Fiero bellhousing swapped over as pictured, all I needed was Dickman's Conversion Kit for the shift shaft.
Apparently, the arm of this needs slight modification with the Quad4 Getrag which started this discussion (see above).
http://rodneydickman.com/pr...o.php?products_id=58

The lower bracket holes need to be tapped.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000038.html

Some people don't like the gearing of a the Quad4 Getrag.
See links to Fierobsessed threads posted earlier.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-21-2020).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Everything depends on your transmission shop. Ask them.
They may charge an hour just to take the old one apart, then 2-3 to do the swap to the new one.
If they don't know what they're doing it could take longer, or they could give up and give you back a box full of disassembled parts "no charge".

thanks... Just trying to imagine which is the best way to go. My luck I get a box full of parts "no charge"

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks... Just trying to imagine which is the best way to go. My luck I get a box full of parts "no charge"

I think you just need a reputable shop that has done transaxles,
as opposed to a guy who's never seen one before but "is willing to give it a try".
But then any competent transmission guy with a manual should be able to do it.

Facebook FIERO Group has a files download section with manuals.
Join group and download Muncie_Getrag 5-speed.pdf
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204429635/files/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-23-2020).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Didn't know about those documents. That's helpful.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock