Getrag Trans rebuild kits- and detent cover source by cvxjet
Started on: 05-13-2020 03:32 PM
Replies: 6 (397 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-14-2020 12:16 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a spare Getrag 282 trans that I want to rebuild and then swap in. I have a friend who will do this but we are having trouble finding a rebuild kit...especially the detent cover which apparently is wrecked during disassembly.

Does anyone know of a source for kits and that cover?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only know of this place, but I have never bought from them.
https://www.drivetrain.com/...282-fwd-overhaul-kit

Detent cover is GM Part Number 14082039
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HM...-Detent/174004475554

Many people stab a hole through the middle to remove it and why they need a new one.
But if you work your way around the edge with thin bladed tool, it can be pried out.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-19-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am the bringer of bad news.....

Those kits were picked over 10 years ago. You may find a partial kit, but the input shaft bearing is most certainly missing.

Let us know if the link above makes me a liar!......it would be a nice surprise.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-13-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, Rodney has a work around for the input shaft bearing. It is a process, but nice parts and all new if no other resource can be found.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be better off using a new Getrag (use the guts or swap Fiero clutch bellhousing).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NE...-4-2-4L/362809755629

Details. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000038.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-14-2020).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Many people stab a hole through the middle to remove it and why they need a new one.
But if you work your way around the edge with thin bladed tool, it can be pried out.

There's a hole in the metal in the center of the detent cover. It's just rubber there. Stab it with a reasonably large common screwdriver, then put the tip of the screwdriver on top of the detent block, so the screwdriver is almost "flat" to the detent cover, then pry. You should be able to lift it out with very little deformation of the cover. Hammer it flat, dab on RTV where you punctured the rubber and reinstall.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock