quad 4 getrag conversion tip by ytzman
Started on: 09-29-2008 09:41 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: ytzman on 10-07-2008 10:42 PM
ytzman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ytzmanSend a Private Message to ytzmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys and gals,
just thought I'd put this out there for those about to do a quad 4 getrag swap since you can get them "brand new" off ebay for cheap.

tip one: cut approximately 1/2 inch off the reverse shift shaft - it took me a while to figure out why it kept locking into reverse everytime I bolted the case together. - There is a post here somewhere on it but it took me a while to find it.

tip two: If you are using Rodney's FWD conversion kit, you may have to clearance the bracket where it's close to the shift arm. The shift arm just catches it by a 1/8" and prevents you from getting 1st and 2nd gear. Not to say Rodney's kit isn't good, it work perfect on a V6 FWD tranny.

I've only taken it for a quick spin around the block just to check the shifting, but I'll let you know how the 3.94 final drive ratio is on the track after this weekend.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
Well keep us posted on how the performance of the 3:94 final drive works out. I done the quad 4 gear swap but kept my case and shift rail. I haven't ran it to give any results though.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
There are a whole bunch of different ratios in the Quad 4 boxes. Only a few had the 3.94 final. Did you confirm that yours does? Was it one of the ebay ones?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ytzman:
tip one: cut approximately 1/2 inch off the reverse shift shaft - it took me a while to figure out why it kept locking into reverse everytime I bolted the case together. - There is a post here somewhere on it but it took me a while to find it.

FYI, this is NOT a quad-4 issue. This is a difference between the external slave transmissions and the hydraulic throw out bearing transmissions.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I thought that the bolt pattern on the Quad Four Getrag is different and it cannot be bolted to the V6. If its just a matter of altering the shift levers and brackets then this opens up a whole new option. Fiero Getrags are 20-23 year old transmissons and I would guess that most of them have not been refreshed with new bearings and seals. From what we can tell many Getrags still contain the original oil.!!!! It's surprising that some owners will spend $2000-$6000 on an engine swap and never touch the box. I can only assume that some poeple believe that Getrags were not only built to last forever but they are also maintenace free!!. This could be why we see so many of these boxes being blown apart of late.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-30-2008).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I thought that the bolt pattern on the Quad Four Getrag is different and it cannot be bolted to the V6.

That's correct.

The OP is talking about swapping bellhousings over.
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I thought that the bolt pattern on the Quad Four Getrag is different and it cannot be bolted to the V6.

The bell housing is different but all the internals are the same. I used all the races, bearings, seals, detent parts, gears, and carrier. Complete brand new. Like I said I haven't ran it yet to know how its going to hold up. I know I'll beat it a little just not sure if I'm gonna abuse it.
ytzman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ytzmanSend a Private Message to ytzmanDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it's one of the "ebay" ones.
I haven't confirmed the gear ratios - this is the first I've heard of the quad 4 getrag having a variaty of ratios.
There is one difference, the spider gears are much larger. There is a posting on this somewhere with pics.
I do have to admit, the getrags are pretty rugged. my original held up pretty good. the 3rd gear syncro was gone when I got it and I ran it dry once by an accident - ( had it out of the car, the oil leaked out and I forgot to fill it ) and ran another 10K and 3 weekends of track. the only reason I swapped it out for a FWD one was because of the 3rd gear syncro. it was making it hard to be consistant in corners when you struggle to get down to 3rd from 4th. When I took it apart to swap bell housings, you should have seen the teeth on the gears. I think when I ran it dry, the secondary or idler gear set (not sure what the exact term is) bearing retainer broke off and it got chewed up by the gears pretty good. still even after all that, it still moved and shifted.
The FWD one I put in this past winter I picked up for real cheap, but it was high milage (160KM I think) but it soon started showing problems, no 5th gear ( it slotted in, but nothing. no grinding or cluncking just nothing) but no big deal, with a stock engine, even at Mosport I don't need it.) then 1st went, little different, just couldn't slot it in, even 2nd became tricky from a stand still. but again, don't need 1st for racing so I kept on going until finally it started spraying oil down the back straight. Turns out the Secondary gear set went through the case (bell housing side of course )
Anyways, I picked up the ebay one 3 - 4 months ago, I think by the time it was shipped up here, it cost me about $350 after taxes, duties and all that stuff, which makes it just a little more than double the "real cheap" FWD one, oh wait add the Rodney conversion kit and it's only about $100 more.
BTW, i've seen "high quality" used Fiero getrags for about $1000.

I'll see if I need 5th now on the back straight at Mosport. Last time I hit 4800rpm before lifting for turn 8. I don't know what the speed was - no speedo at the time, but I have a GPS Data system now, so I'll be able to calculate it pretty easily after the weekend.

Thanks for listening to my babble.
Latter.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I thought involved 'diff shimming' which is a complicated process..
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverDirect Link to This Post
The short version of the differential shimming is you bolt the case together with a set of precise length spacers and long bolts, and a spacer of exactly the same length between the seat for the differential side bearing and the bearing itself. Measure the clearance with a feeler gauge, and install a spacer that size plus 0.004 for preload. Pretty easy with the KM tools, you can easily make the tools with a lathe.

I have two of them, measured the ratios on one as 3.50, 2.19, 1.38, 1.03, 0.80, 3.94 final drive. Second, fourth and fifth are a little shorter than stock Fiero. Good for e,I,m swapping to an ecotec, not so good for V8 guys.

Mike
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
3.7x is the 1st gear ratio on the quad 4 I bought from mantrans ... Sorry I am typing from an iPhone

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 10-01-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 10-01-2008).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Some apps did have the 3.77 first gear. You don't want that.

That's not the first transmission that ManTrans has sent out with the wrong ratios. That happened to a customer of mine also.

Originally posted by fast40driver:
Measure the clearance with a feeler gauge, and install a spacer that size plus 0.004 for preload. Pretty easy with the KM tools, you can easily make the tools with a lathe.

I tried that and it's actually NOT that easy. The actual tool set has a pretty stiff spring in the telescoping gauge that makes sure that all the slack is out of the stack. That's very difficult to do without the spring. On back-to-back checks of my homegrown toolset vs the correct GM toolset, I got different results.
ytzman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ytzmanSend a Private Message to ytzmanDirect Link to This Post
OK, so all of you who have said that the first gear on these tranny's are useless are absolutely correct! but ......
WOW, what a way better tranny for the track! The gear ratios are much closer and yes, I did need 5th at Mosport down the back straight and in turn 2 and through turn 4!
I picked up about 2 seconds from the last time at the track and hit about 105 mph down the back straight at about 4500rpm I think, and deffinately gained a few mph.
The only issue I had was I kept reaching for the shifter in the 4th gear spot and I was in 5th. It'l take a while to get used to that.

I could see how if you had a high torque 3.8sc or small block V8 this tranny would be anoying, or if you are trying to get the best MPG, it's not for you. But if you have a 60*v6 or even better the 3.4DOHC (which I'm rebuilding this winter), and are more interested in performance than economy, than ya, you want, no you need this tranny

by the way, I'm getting another one from ebay as a back up just incase.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock